register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #1

straydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 2 fuel pumps and a throttle body

I'm about to start a thread of what's been replaced on the car.

After some nice, can't go above 3K rpms and 60mph max with the throttle all the way down. The car went to mazda yet again. This time, the throttle body is getting replaced.

If anyone could tell me, has anyone experienced throttle body / fuel pump issues with the speed 3.

Also, since warrenty is about spent, where do I find the connecter thingy that reads the check engine codes?
 Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Throttle body isnt the problem. CDFP is the issue.

The OBD II connector is right beneath the steering wheel to the left in that pocket for hooking up your scan tool. If you have access to the Dash Hawk, that is the tool that is ideal to scan the code you got, but more importantly, to view the fuel pressue. If its less then 380ish idle and isnt moving to 4 digits gasing it in neutral, that is the problem. We can easily fix it for you as well.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

true...
what are the symptoms of the car?
what was the matter with it?
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #4

straydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nicestraydoginc is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Symtoms: Throttle all the way down, slow rpm climb till about 3000 rpm's and wouldn't go any higher.

Once on the interstate (on the way to dealer) 6th gear 60mph, 2500 rpm's wouldn't get past 60.

After about 40 mins (i guess that is how long they were looking at it) it drives fine, check engine light is on awaiting the throttle body from the dealer for them to install.

Also do you recommend a good sensor to check the codes with?
 Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5

MSMitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just got back from my dealership - same problem - happened about 4 times over past year - cold start, stop, turn off car - start up again - little/no throttle reponse - they are also blaming the throttle body - am getting it replaced later this week under warranty.
 Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

really?
i fried something when i hooked up my map clamp and i couldn't get the car to rev past 3000 in any gear. i could only get it to rev that high if i floored it. are you guys experiencing this?
the unfortunate thing is that there are a few sensors that can control this, not just the throttle body. i replaced my gas pedal (there's a sensor attached to the gas pedal). good luck. let us know
 Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

got mine back from the dealer today. runs great. We'll see how long it lasts. I am investing in a $30 obdii to usb cable and a light lappy to run diagnostics.
 Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

i suppose that's good news. soooo...new throttle body? any other work?
 Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

New Throttle Body, Sensor, and 2 fuel pumps so far. Also a valve somewhere. 6K more and its out of warrenty, then goes in the aftermarket parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to straydoginc For This Useful Post:
phillyb (05-12-2009)
 Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you guys know if anyof this is due to not enough time warming up the car?
 Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #11

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,014 Times in 1,767 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

why not just replace the TB motor? or is that too integrated into the TB?
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bmorrisj View Post
why not just replace the TB motor? or is that too integrated into the TB?
I'm not sure. I would imagine they replaced that with the TB.

New fun, the car heats up under boost to about 3/4 of the heart gauge, then the fan kicks on and back to less than 1/2.

I'm past the 30K mark so I'll be flushing coolent and burping the system to see if that takes care of the issue.

Anyone have this one yet?

On another note, ordered my obd ii to usb connector, its on its way, so the lappy and it will be giving me some diags soon enough on the whole thing. No more fuel cuts so I hope we are good in that department.
 Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,562 Times in 2,807 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Take it back to the dealer, you have to open the cooling system to replace the TB since the TB is "cooled" by the coolant. Since the TB is mounted low relative to the radiator cap they likely got air into the system and didnt get it all out.

The TB motor and TB plate are basically all one piece that is replaced together.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06Speed6 View Post
Take it back to the dealer, you have to open the cooling system to replace the TB since the TB is "cooled" by the coolant. Since the TB is mounted low relative to the radiator cap they likely got air into the system and didnt get it all out.

The TB motor and TB plate are basically all one piece that is replaced together.
Sweet. Guess I'll be at the dealer tomorrow. They know me by name now.
 Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update. A coolant line split. Dealer has it and is fixing. I should get it back tomorrow. Until then, I'm driving a Focus
 Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #16

buddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think that removing the coolant lines from the TB actually lower bats. PTP's new intake mani gasket kit has a few parts that re-route the lines around the TB instead through.
Street Unit Block, CP Pistons (9.0:1), Pauter Rods, CPBoost Top-mounted Turbo Exhaust Manifold w/ Tial 38mm External Wastegate, Custom 3", CP-E FCF (No Boost cut, 3.25" MAF), CP-E PnP Standback V2, CP-E HPFP, CP-E FMIC Core w/ Custom piping, Denso Spark Plugs, Custom Inlet w/ 3.25" MAF Housing, VCTS Delete, EGR Block-off, Saikou Michi OCC, Fidanza Flywheel, HD Signature 18x8" MSR Wheels, HTR Z III's 235/40/18, BS Delete, TWM Stage 2 SS Kit, Dashhawk, Perrin EBCS.
buddhabum is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

indeed. there has been some talk about coolant bypass for a couple weeks now on here. so definitely keep us abreast on what happens
 Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

car is all back together. replaced the entire coolant system. wow!

Also, why would you remove the coolant line to the tb if it was built that way?>
The Following User Says Thank You to straydoginc For This Useful Post:
phillyb (05-26-2009)
 Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

interesting