register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phate

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

qMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Clutch not engaging while running

07 speed 3
I've been searching the forums and been finding some information about whats going on with it. Been doing all the steps I've been reading but still can't figure this out.

Awhile back my motor blew up a week after I paid the car off lol (figures right) so I replaced the motor from gearheads. While I was in there I replaced the clutch, flywheel with a light weight aluminum flywheel, slave cylinder. Long story short after getting everyrhing back together car starts right up no problems there. But it won't go into gear while it's running. While the car it's off it goes into gear with no problem. If I put the car in gear and try to start it the car jerks forward. I've bled the system a bunch of times and still the same issue. While under the car had a buddy press in the clutch and the fork moves but it doesn't look like it's moving enough. How much travle should the slave/fork move? Anyone run into this before?
qMazdaspeed3p is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

BuddySpeed3 has disabled reputation
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by qMazdaspeed3p View Post
07 speed 3
I've been searching the forums and been finding some information about whats going on with it. Been doing all the steps I've been reading but still can't figure this out.

Awhile back my motor blew up a week after I paid the car off lol (figures right) so I replaced the motor from gearheads. While I was in there I replaced the clutch, flywheel with a light weight aluminum flywheel, slave cylinder. Long story short after getting everyrhing back together car starts right up no problems there. But it won't go into gear while it's running. While the car it's off it goes into gear with no problem. If I put the car in gear and try to start it the car jerks forward. I've bled the system a bunch of times and still the same issue. While under the car had a buddy press in the clutch and the fork moves but it doesn't look like it's moving enough. How much travle should the slave/fork move? Anyone run into this before?
When I installed a new OEM clutch disc and pressure plate, with a Fidanza lightweight flywheel, it had issues going into 1st gear, and once moving would judder in between shifts.

After riding the clutch a few times, it allowed that green coating on the new flywheels surface to wear off and it's been perfect ever since. It might just be that green coating that needs to wear off.
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 v2 - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Cpe Tmic - Cnt Catted Tb - Cobb Xle Bpv - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Jbr Boost Tubes - Jbr Occ (Vta setup) - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - SP Stage 1 WMI 50/50 Mix (Strictly Cooling) -
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

qMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really niceqMazdaspeed3p is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So you just put the car in the street and tried starting the car in gear a couple times?? I have a findanza flywheel also. I was scared something was installed wrong. So after you did that it was ok? Mine won't go into any gear when the car is running. But goes in smooth with the car off
 Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok sl I tried starting the car in first gear to let it judder forward a bunch of time. It kicked over one time and car started taken off down the road ahaha. But anyway. I tried this a bunch of time and still having the same issue. Can't get it into gear with it running. But now if it's running and I try to put it in first gear it still won't go in but the car starts to slowly creep forward... any ideas?
 Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 72
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you install the clutch disk backwards? Is the slave cyl moving? You could have air in the lines. Was the hydraulic system opened up when you changed everything out?
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #6

BuddySpeed3 has disabled reputation
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok sl I tried starting the car in first gear to let it judder forward a bunch of time. It kicked over one time and car started taken off down the road ahaha. But anyway. I tried this a bunch of time and still having the same issue. Can't get it into gear with it running. But now if it's running and I try to put it in first gear it still won't go in but the car starts to slowly creep forward... any ideas?
My issue was that it would be hard to get it into 1st gear and would take a few tries before it would go in.

Once I got moving in 1st, as soon as I pushed the clutch pedal in to shift to 2nd or 3rd, it would judder, and pushing the shifter into the next gear would sometimes grind, as if the clutch was not fully disengaged.

I had to shift hard a few times just to get home from the shop. If I were you I would try to get into 1st and slip the clutch a couple times to wear down that green coating that comes on the Fidanza flywheels.

You say it shifts fine when your moving, but that getting it into 1st is an issue?

Remember that the clearance between the clutch disc and flywheel is very small, so theoretically that green coating may cause the clutch disc to stay partly engaged until it fully wears off.

I feel your angst, keep us updated
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 v2 - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Cpe Tmic - Cnt Catted Tb - Cobb Xle Bpv - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Jbr Boost Tubes - Jbr Occ (Vta setup) - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - SP Stage 1 WMI 50/50 Mix (Strictly Cooling) -
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can't get it into gear at all when it's running. When it's running and if I push it towards first gear (doesn't engage) it starts to move forward. But it's not fully engaged. You have any idea how much travle the slave is supposed to have? Mine moves about half an inch when compressed and released. I'm wondering the the throw out bearing isn't moving. Just going crazy with this car. It's been off the road for about a year. Saving up for parts to put everything. Took so long because I have 5 kids at home. So projects take a back burner. But now it's driving me crazy. And trying to figure this out.
 Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll say it here too. If the clutch was installed per the manual, the disk is likely backwards.
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little update: bled the slave once again this time with a hand vacuum pump. Got a lot of air out the system. Went in the car and pumped up peddle.(car off) I noticed a weird noise. Almost a hissing noise when releasing the clutch peddle. Almost sounds like air being sucked in. Hard to tell by myself pumping it inside the car and can't really hear it under the hood where it's coming from. I THINK I may have a line leaking. Like a bad o ring or something. Hopefully tomorrow with a help from a buddy I can really see what's going on. Or if that noise is normal and I never noticed it before
 Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 132
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little update: bled the slave once again this time with a hand vacuum pump. Got a lot of air out the system. Went in the car and pumped up peddle.(car off) I noticed a weird noise. Almost a hissing noise when releasing the clutch peddle. Almost sounds like air being sucked in. Hard to tell by myself pumping it inside the car and can't really hear it under the hood where it's coming from. I THINK I may have a line leaking. Like a bad o ring or something. Hopefully tomorrow with a help from a buddy I can really see what's going on. Or if that noise is normal and I never noticed it before
Reading through this my first thought is air in hydraulic system. Get yourself a bleeder bottle off of Amazon. It has a one way check valve and will get all the air out.

Are you certain you installed the clutch disc correctly? It is marked "flywheel side".

Before you do anything else ensure your clutch pedal is adjusted properly. There is a rod attached to the pedal that pushes into the master cylinder in the firewall. Check that it has a very slight amount of play before it depresses the rod into the master. There are how-to's on here. Just search.

If you think you have a leak pull out the battery. The master is there under the brake booster on the firewall. Have a look at it and check for leaks. Also from inside the car as well. Another place to check is the rubber line from the frame rail to the hard line on the slave cylinder.

Is the slave you put in an OEM unit?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I'm pretty sure everything is installed the right way. The speed 3 don't have an adjournment on the master. I think only the speed 6 does. I had a bleeder bottle on it last night and I was hearing a hissing coming from under the battery. When I get done work today I'm going to take it a part and disconnect the lines going t the master and check the orings. And yes OEM slave
The Following User Says Thank You to qMazdaspeed3p For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (02-13-2018)
 Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,604 Times in 5,822 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

For slave travel:

Jeff23spl likes this.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (02-13-2018)
 Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #13

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would be surprise if your problem is not air or a leak but i have heard about clutch pedal frame to break with the install of an heavy duty clutch....I run the heaviest ACT and didnt break the pedal after few years...But my slave went out on the first drive with the new clutch pressure plate...it is free to look at it to make sure the pedal rod get all the travel.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky to save fuel and when the speed is broken
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #14

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, my new Luk disk was not marked for flywheel side.

Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
 Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #15

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

not sure but i think the disc center would grind against fw bolts if backwards....?

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I agree. The springs face the pressure plate. Other wise it would hit the flywheel
 Old 02-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

I actually installed mine per the manual the first time. It fit fine. Fortunately I figured it out before I put the trans back on.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #18
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,604 Times in 5,822 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Your first step is to check slave travel. There should be 1/2-5/8" travel. If not, it's a hydraulic issue. If you have that much travel, it's a clutch assembly issue.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so I pulled the master cylinder out behind the clutch peddle.. is the rod supposed to have any kinds of tenting to it at all? ( unit is all plastic, not like the ms6 that has a metal rod) because the rod is very floppy. No gentian to it at all. If I press the rod in or pull it out I don't feel any pressure or suction. Anyone know if the cylinder rod is supposed to have any kind of tention??
 Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #20

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Were you drunk when you typed this ^^?

Are you saying the actuator rod from the clutch pedal into the master is made of plastic? I find that hard to believe, but ok.

Yes, it should be hard to press in and have a little tension. There will be some freeplay/takeup that occurs before the master is actuated. Is that what you mean?

Is the master leaking? Did you measure the travel per Phates video?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
phate (02-14-2018)
 Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nope not drunk. It's fully plastic. But I bench bled the master at work. And it seems to be working fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-14 12.49.20.jpg (4.10 MB, 9 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qMazdaspeed3p For This Useful Post:
phate (02-14-2018), Thor Hammer (02-14-2018)
 Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, plastic! Anything to save a buck on production.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update!!!!!! Finally got a chance to work on the car again. Had no time for a while me and the wife had a baby!!! Anyway pulled the Trans found out the pressure plate dile pin holes were a little off and too tight when bolted to the flywheel. Grinded out the holes a hair. Put everything back together... Zoomzoom. Back up and running!!! Thanks for the help fellas!!
 Old 04-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

congratz for the baby and happy that you figured out!

if i understand correctly, the bend dowell pin was forcing a gap between FW and PP ?

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

Last edited by Jeff23spl; 04-09-2018 at 01:33 PM.
 Old 04-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. No it was causing too much contact. It wouldn't disengage. Too much pressure on the plate. When I first unbolted the plate the clutch was stuck to the flywheel. I had to pop it off with a plastic tool bc of all the pressure. But it's all good now. Just a headache lol
 Old 04-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #26

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice, thanks for updating your thread with the fix. Congrats on the parasite