register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #41
hidin in yo bushes

CWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 12,742 Times in 4,717 Posts
Groans: 122
Groaned at 70 Times in 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
What did you replace it with?
A JBR mount. I think it's an 80 duro, but I honestly cannot remember. I bought it from a NATOR brother.

Rich Tuned
330WHP and 363TQ
10-19-13 Moore Automotive

CWP_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 AM   #42

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,667 Times in 856 Posts
Groans: 100
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Responding to an earlier post in this thread: Yes, raising idle rpm to +200 will do wonders for taming the increased NVH (vibes) that come with stiffer mounts. Also helps to reduce risk of "smoking turbo" if running the stock turbo.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #43
Banned

Say Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 62 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Responding to an earlier post in this thread: Yes, raising idle rpm to +200 will do wonders for taming the increased NVH (vibes) that come with stiffer mounts. Also helps to reduce risk of "smoking turbo" if running the stock turbo.
Any insights on whether or not that cut into your MPG's?

I've always wondered by our idle is this low, I've seen it dip down towards ~500rpm imaginary mark.
Say Chi Sin Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #44

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The tuna set my idle at 850 (due to 3.5" intake) and it did not appear to change my fuel economy, or at least not appreciably. Frankly it didn't really appreciably change the vibes either, but my setup is pretty soft for aftermarket so it wouldn't be real surprising for it to be not noticeable.
 Old 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #45
Banned

Say Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post
The tuna set my idle at 850 (due to 3.5" intake) and it did not appear to change my fuel economy, or at least not appreciably. Frankly it didn't really appreciably change the vibes either, but my setup is pretty soft for aftermarket so it wouldn't be real surprising for it to be not noticeable.
You let a fish mess with your idle?

Did you eat it after it finished your idle?

Last edited by Say Chi Sin Lo; 08-02-2017 at 04:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Say Chi Sin Lo For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (08-03-2017)
 Old 08-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #46

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you eat it after it finished your idle?
Some tunas are good enough that it might be worth eating their meat, or at least handies and butt touches just to ward off that ole ZZB.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to aackthpt For This Useful Post:
Cataphract_40 (08-13-2017)
 Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #47

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,667 Times in 856 Posts
Groans: 100
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any insights on whether or not that cut into your MPG's?

I've always wondered by our idle is this low, I've seen it dip down towards ~500rpm imaginary mark.
It seems to be no different. I made the idle increase about eight years ago, though and I have a heavy right foot.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #48
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey y'all, if you guys are wondering why there hasn't been any update on my experience with the Damond PMM, it's because they're out of stock for (at least) the next two weeks.
 Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #49

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey y'all, if you guys are wondering why there hasn't been any update on my experience with the Damond PMM, it's because they're out of stock for (at least) the next two weeks.
So they actually told you "two weeks"?
 Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #50
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

So they actually told you "two weeks"?
That's why I said (at least) two weeks. They said 2-3 weeks.

Honestly, I was a bit annoyed because there's nothing on their website that says they're out of stock. Also, they did not tell me they're out of stock until I asked them about my order 3 days after it's been sitting idle.

Not impressed with Damond Motorsports' customer service at all.
Bexar likes this.
 Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #51

Not Ranked  0 score     

That's why I said (at least) two weeks. They said 2-3 weeks.
Bah. It would only have been funny had they literally said "two weeks".
 Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #52
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Bah. It would only have been funny had they literally said "two weeks".
I mean, it's not hard right? You're out of stock, that's ok.

But you couldn't let your customers know? You had to wait for them to ask just what happened to their money and why the order is sitting the idly?
 Old 08-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #53

Bexar has a spectacular aura aboutBexar has a spectacular aura aboutBexar has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

But you couldn't let your customers know? You had to wait for them to ask just what happened to their money and why the order is sitting the idly?
Absolutely. It should not be difficult to setup the website to display quantities remaining. Just update it everytime a shipment comes in

Need to be installed: JBR RSB // Corksport TIP and SRI // Turbo XS downpipe // Rota Grids // Turbosmart BPV

I ❤ hatches
Bexar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #54

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
Absolutely. It should not be difficult to setup the website to display quantities remaining. Just update it everytime a shipment comes in
Yes, it's so easy! You guys already know how to do this - you should start your own aftermarket parts company.
 Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #55
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, it's so easy! You guys already know how to do this - you should start your own aftermarket parts company.
Customer relations is a priority for any B2C (and B2B) business. If you haven't figured that part out, then it's not a sound business.

I haven't faulted them for running out of stock. Sometimes you don't get all of the necessary components to assemble a quality part, nothing wrong with that.

But informing potential customers, and displaying an *OUT OF STOCK* disclaimer is not hard at all. I mean, they managed to set up an entire, fully functional website, haven't they?

Oh ok, so sure, you can't display an "OUT OF STOCK" disclaimer. How are customers supposed to know they won't receive a delivery within the appropriate amount of time? Oh I know, let's email these people who placed an order, and inform them of the situation!

No? Let's just keep our mouths shut until they contact us about what happened to their money days/weeks later. Sounds like a good business plan Damond Motorsports.

Last edited by Say Chi Sin Lo; 08-10-2017 at 02:24 PM.
 Old 08-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #56

JakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So far I've noticed all the vendors sites operate this way. A few times I ordered from Corksport (part was on backorder but I didn't know) and went ahead and placed my order. The next day I received a call from them letting me know it would be a few weeks. I canceled at that point. When I ordered their turbo it was the same deal, but I wasn't in a rush so I was cool with the 3-4 week wait. But I always got a call within 24-48 hours letting me part was backordered, so I can understand your frustration. I also said the same thing to CS about adding a quantity counter on their parts for their website.

Cobb AP V3, CBE
CS Turbo tuned by PD
Corksport Catted DP/HPFP Internals
JBR FMIC Pipe Kit w/TR8
CP-E TIP/3.5" Intake
DM OCC/TMM
Forge V2 BPV
Bilstein B8 w/Swift springs
Wilwood 6 pot BBK
EBC RedStuff rear pads
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5"
JakeMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #57
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JakeMS3 View Post
So far I've noticed all the vendors sites operate this way. A few times I ordered from Corksport (part was on backorder but I didn't know) and went ahead and placed my order. The next day I received a call from them letting me know it would be a few weeks. I canceled at that point. When I ordered their turbo it was the same deal, but I wasn't in a rush so I was cool with the 3-4 week wait. But I always got a call within 24-48 hours letting me part was backordered, so I can understand your frustration. I also said the same thing to CS about adding a quantity counter on their parts for their website.
See, that's fair game if they call you after and let you know what's going on with the order. Because they told you on the website itself, or post-purchase follow-up, you were informed of the status of your order/money.

I had to call them after nearly a week of zero communications from them. It was only then that they told me the PMM is out of stock. However, unlike your previous situation, my PMM has failed, that's why I wanted the part ASAP.
 Old 08-13-2017, 04:17 AM   #58

Reedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I might play a bit of a devils advocate for a minute here as I just replaced my Stage 2 RMM after 4 years as the bushing had developed a tear. It was nice to have a compliant vibration-free mount, but the engine was moving as much as the OEM mount by the time I replaced it.
I asked CP-e if I could just buy a replacement bushing but they weren't much help so I just bought a whole new (Stage 1) one.

This gives me quite a history of rear engine mounts over the last 7 years.
OEM - Corksport Inserts (IMO, highly underrated) - SURE REM (Replaced after all the failures that happened, mine was fine) - CP-e Stage 2 (Bushing failed) - CP-e Stage 1 55 duro (Installed yesterday)

I have now swapped back to a stage 1 RMM for a couple of reasons. Mainly, after I installed the stage 2 RMM I found my car started popping out of 4th gear under heavy downhill braking at the racetrack. This also coincided with a switch to semi slick tyres so I never genuinely had a chance to prove that this was the cause, but my mechanic made a good point that since the bushing orientation had changed, it may have altered the way the entire engine moves on its mounts. The design may seem to make much more sense on paper, but there are reasons why the manufacturers do things the way they do.

I know it's an unproven theory but it resonated with me. And now that I am back running a S1, we will be able to test this theory properly real soon.

Here is a video of what happens when you pop out of 4th gear and have no power to pick up the weight transfer on corner exit. Just watch the gearstick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDV7yhr2Qw

Also here are some pics of my Stage 2 RMM that I just pulled off my car. Bought it in 2013, it's done 60 000km and about 25 track days. It's served me well but I am happy to go back to the way the gods (designers) intended. This design is sold on the premise that the bushing will last forever but that's clearly not the case. So if I am gonna be replacing parts, I would rather keep it cheaper.

Last edited by Reedy; 08-13-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reedy For This Useful Post:
chris323 (08-13-2017), CWP_MS3 (08-14-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #59

dbeckms3 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
I might play a bit of a devils advocate for a minute here as I just replaced my Stage 2 RMM after 4 years as the bushing had developed a tear. It was nice to have a compliant vibration-free mount, but the engine was moving as much as the OEM mount by the time I replaced it.
I asked CP-e if I could just buy a replacement bushing but they weren't much help so I just bought a whole new (Stage 1) one.

This gives me quite a history of rear engine mounts over the last 7 years.
OEM - Corksport Inserts (IMO, highly underrated) - SURE REM (Replaced after all the failures that happened, mine was fine) - CP-e Stage 2 (Bushing failed) - CP-e Stage 1 55 duro (Installed yesterday)

I have now swapped back to a stage 1 RMM for a couple of reasons. Mainly, after I installed the stage 2 RMM I found my car started popping out of 4th gear under heavy downhill braking at the racetrack. This also coincided with a switch to semi slick tyres so I never genuinely had a chance to prove that this was the cause, but my mechanic made a good point that since the bushing orientation had changed, it may have altered the way the entire engine moves on its mounts. The design may seem to make much more sense on paper, but there are reasons why the manufacturers do things the way they do.

I know it's an unproven theory but it resonated with me. And now that I am back running a S1, we will be able to test this theory properly real soon.

Here is a video of what happens when you pop out of 4th gear and have no power to pick up the weight transfer on corner exit. Just watch the gearstick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDV7yhr2Qw

Also here are some pics of my Stage 2 RMM that I just pulled off my car. Bought it in 2013, it's done 60 000km and about 25 track days. It's served me well but I am happy to go back to the way the gods (designers) intended. This design is sold on the premise that the bushing will last forever but that's clearly not the case. So if I am gonna be replacing parts, I would rather keep it cheaper.

Thanks for the reply, it seems you experienced exactly what I was in that it seemed like there was no difference in engine play. Do you have the other mounts upgraded or just this one? I do like the idea of the S2 and it makes a lot of sense to have it over the OEM one but the full benefit isn't happening for me. I don't track/autox this car yet because it's my only car but I'd like to get out there. I was expecting a lot more from this mount. I've read the inserts have a lot of vibration and I really didn't want that since I have to drive this every day.
 Old 08-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #60

Reedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's an engine mount. I don't know what you want from it exactly but it was never going to change the world. All aftermarket ones cause vibrations but they also settle down with time as the mount beds in. I just have the rear one rest are oem.
 Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #61

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have now swapped back to a stage 1 RMM for a couple of reasons. Mainly, after I installed the stage 2 RMM I found my car started popping out of 4th gear under heavy downhill braking at the racetrack. This also coincided with a switch to semi slick tyres so I never genuinely had a chance to prove that this was the cause, but my mechanic made a good point that since the bushing orientation had changed, it may have altered the way the entire engine moves on its mounts.
I'd be willing to put money on it not being the mount. This is probably the same as the classical autocross 2nd gear popout. Probably you need a lighter shift knob and linkage weight.
 Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #62

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea I'm inclined to agree, that's why I didn't replace it for 4 years. Hopefully my new turbo setup will be done by the end of the month and I'll be able to test it on the 1st of September.
 Old 08-14-2017, 04:37 AM   #63
hidin in yo bushes

CWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 12,742 Times in 4,717 Posts
Groans: 122
Groaned at 70 Times in 57 Posts

I just have the rear one rest are oem.
I think that's your problem right there. lol My FMM made for a great addition. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. Only downside is it would fuck your FMIC plans. :/

Rich Tuned
330WHP and 363TQ
10-19-13 Moore Automotive

CWP_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #64

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well they supposedly warrant it for life but I have never heard of a self-replacement bushing. Usually they tell people to send it back and they replace it. I presume you weren't willing to do it that way?
 Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #65

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well they supposedly warrant it for life but I have never heard of a self-replacement bushing. Usually they tell people to send it back and they replace it. I presume you weren't willing to do it that way?
They did offer to fix it but I live in Australia so didn't want to go without a car for a month while the thing shipped. I just wanted to buy a bushing from them but they said it needs to be pressed out/in, which I am perfectly capable of organising myself but they didn't seem to want to trust me with that.
Once I removed it I unscrewed the flange and the bushing came out by hand very easily so even if it does need a press it probably doesn't need a very powerful one. My money is on a big vice being enough.
In the end it just became too difficult.
 Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #66
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Checked in with Damond Motorsports and emailed them about my 2 WEEKS OLD order.

Loving the lack of communications from them.
 Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #67

Not Ranked  0 score     

In the end it just became too difficult.
Fair enough. Didn't realize you were in Australia, yeah that changes the equation some for sure. And yeah from what I've heard it (the bushing switch) is not all that difficult. I'm guessing they're sensitive about it because of the damage they took when the retainers were coming out.... though they still have a TMM that they ask the user to assemble with threadlocker AND they have an anti-backout plate. Seems strange to trust the users on the one hand and not on the other. But oh well, companies' policies often aren't really rational like that anyway.