register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,362 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Cracked SF Intake

Usual maintenance inspection tonight and I notice a crack on my SF intake near there the MAF sensor mounts. The crack runs alone the intake towards where the filter attaches and it is more visible on the inside. It has not gone through the velocity stack.

Is this a known issue?

Last edited by Lex; 05-25-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #2

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,459 Times in 2,597 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

pix
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #3

skeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,345 Times in 817 Posts
Groans: 91
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hit up cobb customer service they take care of you

2008 Speed 3 GT- Cobb SRI, Cobb TIP, AQ Motorsports DP (Turboxs Adapter Plate), TurboXS FMIC, GReddy CBE, GReddy BPV, 3P Flange, GReddy TT, GReddy Boost Gauge, Vent Pod, GReddy Shift Knob, SU Shifter Bushings, AWR RMM, Cobb RSB, Cobb AP, Cobb Shifter Weight, Autotech FP Internals, Corksport Exhaust Hangers. "parked hard"

1996 200sx SE-R- Injen CAI, GReddy SP CBE, Tein Basic Coilovers, Progress FSB, Clutch Masters Flywheel, Progress RSB, Cusco FSTB, Progress LCAB, Prothane MM, JWT POP Program, JWT S4 Cams, Mishimoto Radiator, GoodRidge SS Brake Lines, Powerslot Rotors, Nismo CF Shift Knob. "back in action"
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #4

MZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,738 Times in 345 Posts
Groans: 94
Groaned at 38 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When did you buy the SF?
 Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #5

wassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the worldwassup61 is the leader of the world
Groans: 29
Groaned at 32 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The MAP sensor is nowhere near the intake. You mean the MAF sensor-Mass Air Flow, not Manifold Absolute Pressure.

Jeff at PG.

PS The should warranty it.
 Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #6

Zeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,133 Times in 262 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I haven't heard of a cracked MAF housing before, which means it's at least not a pandemic. I'm sure they'll swap it out for warranty, because I had them replace mine due to slightly bent air flow fins, which of course isn't nearly as big an issue. They had it out to me in a matter of days via fedex.

It's also worth mentioning that the stock bracket the cobb bracket mounts to cracks for alot of people. Not Cobb's fault per se for that issue though.
 Old 05-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Will get some pics of it tonight. I bought mine used some 8 months ago. Also my apologies, it is the MAF sensor, not the MAP. Do they offer exchanges on parts that are bought second hand?
 Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #8

Zeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Will get some pics of it tonight. I bought mine used some 8 months ago. Also my apologies, it is the MAF sensor, not the MAP. Do they offer exchanges on parts that are bought second hand?
So it's the MAF housing that's cracked, right? The big plastic tube part that the sensor screws into and the filter attaches to. If you email Cobb with a photo of the damage and your invoice number, they'll send you a new one, gratis. I'm not sure what you mean by second-hand...
 Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #9

martyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 37 Times in 27 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

picsssss. now. that is all.
 Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #10

skeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

they got me a new one cause those brass stars the allen screws for the maf use started pulling out and i couldnt get the maf on right. wow run on sentence for sure.

2008 Speed 3 GT- Cobb SRI, Cobb TIP, AQ Motorsports DP (Turboxs Adapter Plate), TurboXS FMIC, GReddy CBE, GReddy BPV, 3P Flange, GReddy TT, GReddy Boost Gauge, Vent Pod, GReddy Shift Knob, SU Shifter Bushings, AWR RMM, Cobb RSB, Cobb AP, Cobb Shifter Weight, Autotech FP Internals, Corksport Exhaust Hangers. "parked hard"

1996 200sx SE-R- Injen CAI, GReddy SP CBE, Tein Basic Coilovers, Progress FSB, Clutch Masters Flywheel, Progress RSB, Cusco FSTB, Progress LCAB, Prothane MM, JWT POP Program, JWT S4 Cams, Mishimoto Radiator, GoodRidge SS Brake Lines, Powerslot Rotors, Nismo CF Shift Knob. "back in action"
 Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Couldn't get pics tonight, but here is a rendering of where the crack is. It looks just like that red line except it is white. It is showing through on the outside, but a less. I don't understand how it can crack there but regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0375cy1.jpg (175.3 KB, 105 views)
 Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

just call, i talked to shayne. he had me take a pic email it to him and sent it out after he got pic. came while wife was in hospital giving birth, like 4 days but was over a weekend lol. great service ask for shayne if you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to skeeter149 For This Useful Post:
Lex (05-26-2009)
 Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the tip. I bought another used SRI to replace this one. Once it's out of the car, I will talk to COBB and if they give me a new one I will just sell it.
 Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
I <3 your mom

Dash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the world
Thanked 28,304 Times in 4,352 Posts
Groans: 293
Groaned at 132 Times in 91 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like you overtightened the screw for the MAF sensor. That's where the crack seems to be.
That could cause a small fracture.

a) to provide really good technical information
b) to provide amusement at the expense of others
Dash08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dash08 View Post
Looks like you overtightened the screw for the MAF sensor. That's where the crack seems to be.
That could cause a small fracture.
Possible although it is to the side of where the bolt for the MAF sensor attaches.
 Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #16

martyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the worldmartyxattack is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 37 Times in 27 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ill start the bid at $100
 Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
I <3 your mom

Dash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the world
Thanked 28,304 Times in 4,352 Posts
Groans: 293
Groaned at 132 Times in 91 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Possible although it is to the side of where the bolt for the MAF sensor attaches.
That's probably where the crack would happen due to the pulling effect of the screw. Still just a guess though.
Talk to Cobb, they should hook you up.

a) to provide really good technical information
b) to provide amusement at the expense of others
Dash08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #18

Speed3FTW is a splendid one to beholdSpeed3FTW is a splendid one to beholdSpeed3FTW is a splendid one to beholdSpeed3FTW is a splendid one to beholdSpeed3FTW is a splendid one to beholdSpeed3FTW is a splendid one to beholdSpeed3FTW is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Couldnt resist...

"You're lucky you didn't blow the welds on the intake."

-Vin Diesel, Fast and the Furious

I guess you were unlucky :/.
Zeya (05-27-2009)
 Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #19
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

An update with pics of the actual crack. It is cracked through and light shines through the crack from one side of the intake to the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001_scaled.JPG (196.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002_scaled.JPG (183.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003_scaled.JPG (181.1 KB, 34 views)
 Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

Lex, did you contact Cobb about it?
 Old 06-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Zeya View Post
Lex, did you contact Cobb about it?
I just did with those photos and I am waiting on a response.
 Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #22
KR....i haz it

Blackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,055 Posts
Groans: 166
Groaned at 56 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ive never heard of anyone trying to make a warranty claim on something they bought USED. If I was Cobb, I would tell you to shove it. Good luck with that one.
Blackspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #23
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Blackspeed View Post
Ive never heard of anyone trying to make a warranty claim on something they bought USED. If I was Cobb, I would tell you to shove it. Good luck with that one.
Why don't you just keep your panties on instead. I am simply asking for some information from COBB and seeing if this is a known problem or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
kgb (07-30-2009)
 Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Banned

glocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 701
Groaned at 655 Times in 620 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Blackspeed View Post
i don't see what the problem is...cobb should warranty it, like they have warrantied their bad air flow straighteners and broken battery brackets, seems common for the cobb sri to break certain parts over the time, considering it is constructed of like 99% plastic.

used or new, when it comes to car parts like aftermarket parts with no moving components or lubricated components, it should be covered under warranty, i'd be pissed if it wasn't.
glocK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just an update. COBB came through and replaced the housing. I had a great time dealing with them and there were no hassles! Good job COBB!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
kgb (07-30-2009), Zeya (07-30-2009)