register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree24Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #41

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,666 Times in 1,831 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenit View Post
Either you have very dull grinder tools, or you've put holes in whatever you're working on.

2 minutes of straight work in any once place is a lot of material removed if you're using the right tools.
I don't have Al specific carbides. And it takes a good amount of time to remove the intake port divider all the way down the runner. So I guess you could say I put a hole in it lol. My carbides cut pretty fast but even still, it's a lot of material to remove. Not only that but even moreso, I spend a ton more time with cartridge rolls than I do the carbides.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #42

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
Interesting, my 3hp 12gal couldn't keep up with my die grinder at all. Literally grind for 2 minutes and it's spraying water out of the grinder from condensation. I was going to get a moisture separator but decided against it because the motor gets hot as hell anyway and I don't want to kill it.
Sounds like you need a larger tank...and to drain your condensate more often. Most compressors are limited by the pump, not the motor. And most single stage pumps should be kept under 50% duty cycle (1/2 time on, 1/2 time off). A larger tank would lengthen the off time of the compressor. If your running the tool continuously for extended periods, the pump CFM should be higher than the CFM of the tool, otherwise the tank will never refill and keep running until you stop the tool and give it a chance to catch up.

With yours only being 12gal, I'm betting you have a direct drive oil free pump. Those pumps run stupid hot and might even call for a very low duty cycle in the manual, but I don't have any professional experience with direct drive.

That's the long winded version of "subbing".
JBR Tru-3.5 Silly Intake & Boost Tubes
DM RMM & Stage 2 OCC
Bosch 3bar & ITV22's

Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.

History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (with several runs surpassing 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
2004 Olds Alero 2.2 - Broken since Christmas 2015
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, SRI, TBE, 20psi, OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (150hp 5.0 slow -> 265hp 5.7 swap w/ Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers...not as slow)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (10-09-2016), Nliiitend1 (10-10-2016), Yamahafreak (10-10-2016)
 Old 10-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #43

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any head flow testing in the works with the ST manifold?
DM RMM & Stage 2 OCC
Bosch 3bar & ITV22's

History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (with several runs surpassing 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, SRI, TBE, 20psi, OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (150hp 5.0 slow -> 265hp 5.7 swap w/ Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers...not as slow)
 Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #44

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Any head flow testing in the works with the ST manifold?
Yea I tested that manifold a while ago. the manifold outflows the head by a good amount. Flow distribution is within 3% for pretty much the whole lift duration. I'm pretty sure the results were posted by DM in one of their threads.
WetzMS3 likes this.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (10-11-2016), monkey.bones.007 (10-10-2016), WetzMS3 (10-10-2016)
 Old 10-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #45

WetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,196 Times in 3,607 Posts
Groans: 430
Groaned at 247 Times in 83 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

#stmanifoldsforharambe

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
WetzMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WetzMS3 For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (10-10-2016), MD1032 (10-11-2016), monkey.bones.007 (10-10-2016)
 Old 10-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #46

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea I tested that manifold a while ago. the manifold outflows the head by a good amount. Flow distribution is within 3% for pretty much the whole lift duration. I'm pretty sure the results were posted by DM in one of their threads.
My mistake. I've seen that thread but either overlooked the inclusive head test or forgot about it. I was thinking the flow comparisons were for the manifolds only.

Carry on...
DM RMM & Stage 2 OCC
Bosch 3bar & ITV22's

History:
 Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #47

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally getting back into this. Finishing up a port job on one cylinder soon and will hopefully be flowing it next week. Port dimensions aren't changed much, just cut down the divider (only about 2.5" long now) and matched up the small port to the large port. Just need to blend and smooth evergthing and if I like the results I'll be doing this to the head I'm going to use.

Mack_Sant likes this.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (01-19-2017), Mauro_Penguin (01-19-2017), Voltwings (01-19-2017), wes3id (01-21-2017), WetzMS3 (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #48

Enki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,282 Times in 4,841 Posts
Groans: 189
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd leave the runners as they are to see how much flow gain you get from runner size matching.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1981_1.gif
Enki is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #49

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Enki View Post
I'd leave the runners as they are to see how much flow gain you get from runner size matching.
Thought about it but I don't feel like taking the time to do another test port. Our airflow expert at work examined my head for a bit and gave me some advice. He's been porting and flowing heads for longer than I've been alive so I trust his opinion. One of the things he told me is every time he's messed with valve dividers that shortening them has always picked up a good amount of flow.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
MSTRES (01-22-2017)
 Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #50

Voltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,150 Posts
Groans: 11
Groaned at 38 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thought about it but I don't feel like taking the time to do another test port. Our airflow expert at work examined my head for a bit and gave me some advice. He's been porting and flowing heads for longer than I've been alive so I trust his opinion. One of the things he told me is every time he's messed with valve dividers that shortening them has always picked up a good amount of flow.
For the sake of discussion, and probably more just my own understanding, would NA vs boosted have an impact on this at all?
-Mustang 5.0 450 whp / 352 wtq
-Sold-

Current:
2012 Loaded Speed3 - Stock
2001 Miata - Basically stock

... Something, somewhere, went horribly wrong.

Fastest gtx3576 powered, 6th port injected, 25% e85 fueled, stock suspension, silver mazdaspeed 3 in South Houston. Because its my internet record, and I said so.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #51

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
For the sake of discussion, and probably more just my own understanding, would NA vs boosted have an impact on this at all?
Define this.

If you're referring to airflow in general, I would guess yes. I've never seen someone flow a cylinder head with highly pressurized air. At the end of the day, for the most part, anything you do to improve flow on an NA application will be just as beneficial if not more on a boosted application.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
 Old 01-20-2017, 04:23 AM   #52

Voltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,150 Posts
Groans: 11
Groaned at 38 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think you answered my question. I was thinking NA and boosted applications would have different flow characteristics (with regards to the head divider), but like you mentioned; at the end of the day, all that really matters is flow.
-Mustang 5.0 450 whp / 352 wtq
-Sold-

Current:
2012 Loaded Speed3 - Stock
2001 Miata - Basically stock

... Something, somewhere, went horribly wrong.

Fastest gtx3576 powered, 6th port injected, 25% e85 fueled, stock suspension, silver mazdaspeed 3 in South Houston. Because its my internet record, and I said so.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #53

Enki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

They don't really have different flow characteristics, but boosted engines can increase the pressure to pack more air into the cylinder; that's why there's two ways (that I've seen people use anyways) to report volumetric efficiency of a boosted engine.

You can say that both on and off boost (14.7 PSI) an engine has 100% VE (for example) or you can say that an engine has 200% VE @ 14.7 PSI. It is my understanding that both are technically correct.

Headwork and other flow mods allow for more airflow (power) at lower boost levels. A good example of this is disabling VVT on a stock turbo car; boost will go up in the lower RPMs but power (torque) will be down. If memory serves, with no VVT on a stock turbo, I couldn't keep the boost under 20 PSI below ~5k RPM.

Food for thought.
Mauro_Penguin likes this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (01-25-2017), Mauro_Penguin (01-20-2017), Mazdazilla6 (01-22-2017), WetzMS3 (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #54

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Spent some time this afternoon finishing up the test port. Gonna make fixturing this week to get it set up on the flow bench.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (01-22-2017), Easter Bunny (01-25-2017), HawkeyeGeoff (03-24-2017), Mack_Sant (01-22-2017), Mauro_Penguin (01-24-2017), mituc (01-23-2017), Voltwings (01-27-2017), WetzMS3 (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #55

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,992 Times in 689 Posts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's amazing what a lil' spitnpolish'll do.
Mauro_Penguin likes this.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (01-25-2017), Mauro_Penguin (01-24-2017), Mazdazilla6 (01-22-2017)
 Old 01-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #56

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's amazing what a lil' spitnpolish'll do.
Our airflow expert at work gave me tons of pointers. I'm gonna try and start doing the exhaust side after I get the intake bench marked and tested. Basic plans are to open up the top of port at the flange and narrow the valve divider to open up the port without increasing its area.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
 Old 01-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #57

Mack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Our airflow expert at work gave me tons of pointers. I'm gonna try and start doing the exhaust side after I get the intake bench marked and tested. Basic plans are to open up the top of port at the flange and narrow the valve divider to open up the port without increasing its area.

I have the old head from my old engine sitting around and I was itching to do something. Then the thought popped into my head to port it as practice for the engine that's actually in my car. Same day I found this thread. Can't wait to see the exhaust side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ For the love of all that's tight and moist, if you cannot figure out something so simple, find some locals to help you.
Mack_Sant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mack_Sant For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (01-22-2017)
 Old 01-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #58

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mack_Sant View Post
I have the old head from my old engine sitting around and I was itching to do something. Then the thought popped into my head to port it as practice for the engine that's actually in my car. Same day I found this thread. Can't wait to see the exhaust side.

The head I'm using is junk. If your spare head is useable it might be a good idea to practice on a cheap head from a junkyard or something before trying your hand at a head that's worth something. It's a good learning experience.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Easter Bunny (01-25-2017)
 Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #59

Mack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to beholdMack_Sant is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

The head I'm using is junk. If your spare head is useable it might be a good idea to practice on a cheap head from a junkyard or something before trying your hand at a head that's worth something. It's a good learning experience.

Oh it's junk. Old engine zzb. Cylinder 3 valves had an orgy.

^ For the love of all that's tight and moist, if you cannot figure out something so simple, find some locals to help you.
Mack_Sant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mack_Sant For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (01-25-2017), Mauro_Penguin (01-24-2017), Mazdazilla6 (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #60

acidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud ofacidplant has much to be proud of
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Great work Mazdazilla6........ I highly commend you for putting great info to this forum. Knowledge is always needed and welcome
acidplant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acidplant For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #61

Yatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,273 Times in 640 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

looks purty, are you concerned about swirl?
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
Yatta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yatta For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #62

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
looks purty, are you concerned about swirl?
No, the tangential port design should still provide pretty good swirl.

After I get it baselined I'll be throwing it through the bandsaw to see where all the water jackets are.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Easter Bunny (01-25-2017), Enki (01-24-2017), Yatta (01-23-2017)
 Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #63

Yatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

No, the tangential port design should still provide pretty good swirl.

After I get it baselined I'll be throwing it through the bandsaw to see where all the water jackets are.
up down versus side to side.. I understand that, just curious; can’t wait to see the cross section!
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
 Old 01-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #64

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Isn't the need for combustion chamber swirl not as important for direct injected engines?

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
 Old 01-24-2017, 12:54 AM   #65

Not Ranked  0 score     

THANK YOU!

Isn't the need for combustion chamber swirl not as important for direct injected engines?
Actually it's probably more important, due to fuel being injected directly into the cylinder. Hard to get a good mix going on if shit just sits there eh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (01-24-2017), Yatta (01-24-2017)
 Old 01-24-2017, 03:34 AM   #66

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

In any engine, you want as much mixture motion as you can get to a point (look up Reynolds number). My guess would be that while having more mixture motion would be beneficial, it's not as important on a DI engine because fuel pressure is so high that the fuel atomizes pretty good from the getgo and that might help it homogenize a bit better. But that doesn't mean you have a uniform mixture, so in that regard I'd also agree with Enki.

Whether it's more important or not, you shouldn't sacrifice flow for mixture motion in the port unless it causes you to lose all mixture motion. In our case, there isn't much to be lost by porting the head because 4 valve heads naturally make good tumble and our offset port design helps create swirl.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS

Last edited by Mazdazilla6; 01-24-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Mauro_Penguin (01-24-2017), Yatta (01-24-2017), zenit (01-24-2017)
 Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #67

Not Ranked  0 score     

In our case, there isn't much to be lost by porting the head because 4 valve heads naturally make good tumble and our offset port design helps create swirl.
Another reason I left the runners in my head stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
Yatta (01-24-2017)
 Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #68

Not Ranked  0 score     

Another reason I left the runners in my head stock.
I always thought the disparity in size was solely for this, there is enough material there for matched and Mazda clearly gave a lot of thought to the head (both for performance and economy, not necessarily fuel economy but that helps)... even with VTCS removed there is induced swirl... excluding the dumb-ass bump on #4 I think it is a good design. The Intake manifold on the other hand...

The Following User Says Thank You to Yatta For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (02-09-2017)
 Old 02-09-2017, 01:01 AM   #69

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally got around to working on the exhaust side. Didn't do a whole ton, narrowed up the valve divider and blended it in a bit better. Left the ceiling where it is and the opening at the head flange where it is to see what gains are there after I benchmark it. I've got all the fixturing made up to get the head on the bench but unfortunately I'm stuck waiting for my boss to finish flowing his dirt bike head before I can use the bench

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
mituc (02-09-2017), qkrthnu2 (02-09-2017), torquemaniac (02-09-2017), wes3id (02-10-2017)
 Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #70

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Single runner w/bowl work vs stock runner results. This time they were flowed at 28" so the numbers are higher for that reason.

image.png

Graphical form:

Capture.PNG

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS

Last edited by Mazdazilla6; 03-16-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Voltwings (03-20-2017)
 Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #71

Not Ranked  0 score     

How much of that do you think is just from the bowl work?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #72

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

How much of that do you think is just from the bowl work?
Kind of hard to say. The reason I say that is that the large port side I didn't really alter, so it didn't pick much up in flow. I tested that my flowing one valve at a time. The small side on the other hand got a bunch of bowl work but it also got a fair amount of runner work. My thoughts/observations lead me to believe that bowl work will give a certain amount of gains before the small side becomes a restriction. I think this because after flowing each valve by itself, the large side (despite being a single runner) was still flowing ~15% more air than the small side, that could be contributed the the smaller cross section that's still before the valve on the small side.

Another thing to note, I messed around with probing the ports with a string/flag and that small port is almost completely dead on the upper left ceiling at the entrance. The single runner did pick up a bit more motion there, but not much. The large reason for that is the JMF design. The angle that the manifold meets the head at is simply atrocious. It causes the floor to become extremely active and reduces the flow on the ceiling a good amount. The design can be improved by angle milling the manifold flange or streamlining the runner better by creating a half teardrop shape on the floor of the manifold runner. Or just running a manifold with the proper geometry *cough* FoST *cough*

I'm going to play around with this head more and see if there are any good gains to be had in the .150"-.250" area. I'm pretty happy with the peak gains and I don't plan on running more than a .450" lift cam so this suits my needs fairly well, I just need to see if there's more under the curve.

Edit: Just realized I never added fixture setup photos. I made a radiused entry inlet to simulate the runner of a JMF since that is the manifold I'm running. Using an entry with an angle that agrees with the head would definitely increase flow.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS

Last edited by Mazdazilla6; 03-16-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Voltwings (03-20-2017)
 Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #73

Not Ranked  0 score     

I would have thought that the FoST mani would be just as bad...You're saying it's not? If so, this makes me happy.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #74

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to play around with this head more and see if there are any good gains to be had in the .150"-.250" area. I'm pretty happy with the peak gains and I don't plan on running more than a .450" lift cam so this suits my needs fairly well, I just need to see if there's more under the curve.
I'm jealous of your resources.

I don't think anyone makes a cam with more than ~.450" lift, or am I missing something?

random question- reading back through old posts @06Speed6; mentions combustion chamber work, which I assume is to deshroud the valves. thoughts?

also, @Mazdazilla6; if I buy you a couple +1mm intake valves, would you be willing to throw them on the test head and flow numbers?
I assume your career racecar shop has a valve seat cutter or something similar. I will buy you much beer.

-wetzel
 Old 03-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #75

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm jealous of your resources.

I don't think anyone makes a cam with more than ~.450" lift, or am I missing something?

random question- reading back through old posts @06Speed6; mentions combustion chamber work, which I assume is to deshroud the valves. thoughts?

also, @Mazdazilla6; if I buy you a couple +1mm intake valves, would you be willing to throw them on the test head and flow numbers?
I assume your career racecar shop has a valve seat cutter or something similar. I will buy you much beer.
Piper makes a cam with .462". We can't go much further than that before the retainer hits the seal.

CC work can mean a lot of different things. Deshrouding valves, removing potential hot spots, raising or lowering compression, altering squish zones. As for deshrouding valves, there isn't a whole lot that can be done on our head. There isn't anything that can be done between the valves and the bigger they get the smaller that clearance gets. There's a bit of material that can be taken off on the outsides but the biggest gains in terms of deshrouding the valves would be moving to a larger bore.

Gonna have to pass on that. We have an extremely nice Serdi seat cutter but I'm not trained on it and don't have the time to learn. All of our engine builders are indisposed as well with some new race program stuff.

I wouldn't be concerned with larger valves, the amount of work it takes to cut larger seats and the cost of the valves makes it not worth it at all. The exhaust side would probably benefit from +1 but again, the cost is pretty high and our stock valves are higher quality pieces than most of the aftermarket stuff IMO. Not to mention you've gotta change your guides to run aftermarket valves.

I will say though, I think there would be some pretty decent gains moving from the stock 3 angle cut to a 5 angle cut. It'd definitely help more than moving to larger valves.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
aackthpt (03-17-2017), Enki (03-17-2017), mituc (03-18-2017)
 Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #76

Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like for a stock head there's not much benefit to going to larger lift cams; obviously duration would be better but lift doesn't appear to give much back.

While I have bowl work on my head (intake side only), my cams only go out to .304 lift intake and .322 lift exhaust so I'll be bearing that theory out at some point.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #77

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like for a stock head there's not much benefit to going to larger lift cams; obviously duration would be better but lift doesn't appear to give much back.

While I have bowl work on my head (intake side only), my cams only go out to .304 lift intake and .322 lift exhaust so I'll be bearing that theory out at some point.
I've been telling people for the past year that cams won't do much on a stock head. Anything more aggressive than the CS grind is pointless. Duration helps, we can ddfinitely get good gains from it.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Enki (03-17-2017)
 Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #78

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey you wouldn't happen to have any information on the exhaust flow for a stock and/or gasket matched head would you?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #79

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not yet. Might stop in this weekend to do some flow work if I'm feeling good enough. If so I'll probably get to it then.

I've got a lot to say about the exhaust side because it's an interesting design but I'll wait until I've got numbers as well. Don't want to go making wrong assumptions before I have some empirical data.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Enki (03-17-2017)
 Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #80

Not Ranked  0 score     

That would be great. I just plugged the prior posted flow numbers into the engine sim and gained a little bit of power. Adding lift gains a little bit more, but not that much compared to what the duration on the cams got me.

Intake airflow:

304 lift (installed cams):

419 lift (same duration same angle higher lift):

Obviously this is only applicable to my build but still, adding an additional .115 (37.8%) lift isn't worth the extra 16 chp and 4 ctq I'd get.
Attached Images
File Type: png 304 lift.PNG (16.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: png 419 lift.PNG (16.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: png valve.PNG (5.4 KB, 96 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
mituc (03-18-2017)