register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree36Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #41
rabble rabble

802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,925 Times in 2,078 Posts
Groans: 221
Groaned at 103 Times in 56 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fullmetal View Post
sorry but may i point out all compression and tdc and valve clearance measures should be taking at cold and heated to get true comparisons. cold engines will show true wear cause as metal heats it expands. that is basic metallurgy, cause you might have great starting compression when warm. this may not be true for cold engines and i have seen many cold engine running problems! if you have cold engine running problems this will effect you warm engine closed loop operation. since the computer learns how to get the engine hot it thinks once the engines hot i can start pulling timing and allow for more emission control. this causes lean conditions which will raise the leaning out of engines to increase proper burn and near zero emissions thank you to the federal gov't. And now one key thing to remember is that taking non running compression will not give you true compression number. your compression may drop once you induce fuel into the cylinders, from the fact that most liquid takes more to compress and if you have any type of bend in the rod or cylinder leakage do to higher dynamic compression you can not tell this at @ 700-800 rpm cranking compression test. this test is mainly used to find blown or warped heads. running compression will net you more info. plus you must compare your cold vs hot reading to tell of true cylinder problems. also you need to check your valve lash to see if your running problems are not to to improper valve seating. high cylinder temps can cause valve seats and stem seals to morph allowing more cylinder problems not able to be told by a cranking compression test. load will always affect cylinder pressure along with engine temp. this is why the ecu has complex fuel and load tables based on a very complex algorithm of up to 8- 10 different sensor readings. and it uses an average of cold verse hot to tell which is the most economical and efficient way to use the engine. just my two cents. years of diagnosing all engine types and running problems i will follow what i have learned based on what i read.
Always do cylinder leak down test.
haha dude very good info. you coulda spaced it out more and made it a little more easy to follow, but there is a lot of info.

so basically, get a good comparison between cold and warm?
 Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #42
Captain

djuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the world
Thanked 30,914 Times in 7,769 Posts
Groans: 79
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That post made me cold and warm at the same time.

500awhp 440awtq uncorrected

EFR8374 ms6, no meth, 50/50 e85, and IDCs in the 90's @ 500+ awhp, with room to grow... fifth port winning.
Count down to head lift.... 3.... 2....

30r ms3 dd on deck, has fuel... needs top mount turbo lovin' next...

Check out the hair Salon:
www.permtuning.com
djuosnteisn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #43

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,441 Times in 2,588 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got a gauge last night... gonna test mine tomorrow. Kinda scared lol. I smoke and stuff, but only at idle and I am catless.... but I am also still making power- last 1/4 mile run I trapped 109 with a passenger in the car. I guess we'll let the results speak for themselves. Will also be doing work on another speed, hopefully we can test his too to compare to mine. A third guy will be there and has a new motor in his car...maybe even get him to test his so we can see what a "new" motor should have.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronc7 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #44
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,245 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

did this a few weeks ago when I thought I heard a knock at idle but it turned out to be nothing.

Cold motor-none of the suggestions used like cluth and accl pedal depressed. Just cranked her over with injector fuze pulled until PSI hit max...took about 4 compression strokes.

28K miles

1=175
2=174
3=175
4=175

Edit: 400 ASL

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01

Last edited by Dano; 04-10-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #45

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

do you pull out all the spark plugs, and then go thru and hook up the gauge to each cylinder. or pull one plug... check that one, then put it back in, pull the next plug, test that one, etc etc?

the instructions say to pull all initially, just wanted to see what you guys did, it probably won't matter anyways.
 Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #46
Captain

djuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pull all of them, cause it lets the motor turn over easier.

My take on the cold compression readings is that, why would i care what they are cold? So many things happen when a motor is warmed up, like ring expansions, oil control, etc etc. I think a warmed up comp test is all that matters.

EFR8374 ms6, no meth, 50/50 e85, and IDCs in the 90's @ 500+ awhp, with room to grow... fifth port winning.

www.permtuning.com
The Following User Says Thank You to djuosnteisn For This Useful Post:
aaronc7 (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #47

Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks. say some prayers for aaronc7's car tonight. kthx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronc7 For This Useful Post:
AndyMS3 (04-12-2010), djuosnteisn (04-10-2010), Lex (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #48
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,335 Times in 6,952 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Been waiting for your results Aaron, good luck! and remember to crank until the needle no longer goes up.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
aaronc7 (04-10-2010), djuosnteisn (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #49

Mizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the worldMizzle is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,194 Times in 1,404 Posts
Groans: 324
Groaned at 188 Times in 104 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by djuosnteisn View Post
Pull all of them, cause it lets the motor turn over easier.

My take on the cold compression readings is that, why would i care what they are cold? So many things happen when a motor is warmed up, like ring expansions, oil control, etc etc. I think a warmed up comp test is all that matters.

"Make sure the engine has been warmed up before beginning the test, to ensure that the oil has been warmed up. A cold engine will not test correctly."

- How to Check Your Engine's Compression - - Search Auto Parts | Automotive News

I'd also like to second the fact that you need to do a leak-down test to see if you have small problems. If you leak too much, put a little SAE30 into the cylinder. If it still leaks down, it's a valve problem and not rings.
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #50
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

ahem...i haz TMIC.....kinda hard to comp test with engine warm..... I pulled all plugs as DJ said the engine turns over faster.

400ASL

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
The Following User Says Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #51
Captain

Not Ranked  0 score     

Warm it up before hand. Just go for a nice ten minute stroll lol, then pull the IC and comp check!

www.permtuning.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djuosnteisn For This Useful Post:
aaronc7 (04-10-2010), Dano (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #52
Trail of Fail

Not Ranked  0 score     

IIRC that's about what I did as I am always impatient to get started and just got back from Advanced Auto with shiny new comp guage ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (04-10-2010)
 Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #53
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
thanks. say some prayers for aaronc7's car tonight. kthx
Dammit Aaron - don't keep me hanging. I feed off this stuff
 Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #54

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Re: DISI Compression Results

meh...no good.

like others have said i think consistency is more important that values itself due to atmospheric and eqipment variations. but with that said #2 is low for me. which totally throws me off cuz #3 spark plugs always look the worst and #2 is just like the others.

might call off my protune, not sure what i wanna do yet

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronc7 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (04-12-2010), FreeFlyFreak (04-12-2010)
 Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #55

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,675 Times in 709 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

not that bad man with 60k... Very reasonable.
 Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #56

Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah i guess i should add 65k miles...fully bolted stock turbo. had stage 2 mods within 6000 miles. at around 1000 asl

djuosnteisn (04-12-2010)
 Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #57
rabble rabble

802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,925 Times in 2,078 Posts
Groans: 221
Groaned at 103 Times in 56 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

go through with the protune, should be interesting to see any better results.
 Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #58
18psiWhiteMS3
Lurkers

180, 178, 12, ,179

does my cylinder 3 seem a little low?
 Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #59
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
meh...no good.

like others have said i think consistency is more important that values itself due to atmospheric and eqipment variations. but with that said #2 is low for me. which totally throws me off cuz #3 spark plugs always look the worst and #2 is just like the others.

might call off my protune, not sure what i wanna do yet

Did you throw some oil in to see if it's a leak issue and make sure #2 isn't somehow "shorter"? On these engines even the valves seal poorly due to the carbon buildup.

The numbers themselves are not that bad - what altitude you at?

Originally Posted by 18psiWhiteMS3 View Post
180, 178, 12, ,179

12? wtf?

Last edited by Lex; 04-11-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
p057 (02-15-2012)
 Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #60

Qwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You guys have me scared to do mine. 72k miles and have been running over 18psi for almost 2 years. This shouldn't take a second hand should it? Just hook it up and crank the car over a few times. Should hold the max right?

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #61

Not Ranked  0 score     

meh...no good.

like others have said i think consistency is more important that values itself due to atmospheric and eqipment variations. but with

Did you throw some oil in to see if it's a leak issue and make sure #2 isn't somehow "shorter"? On these engines even the valves seal poorly due to the carbon buildup.

The numbers themselves are not that bad - what altitude you at?

180, 178, 12, ,179

12? wtf?
some friends and i spent 10 hours yesterday working on cars..did my comp test at the very end, so the oil thing slipped my mind till right after. i am going to do it all again just to check for consistency, try adding a little oil, and am gonna test another ms3, low miles, intake only- for comparison

Lex (04-12-2010)
 Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #62
18psiWhiteMS3
Lurkers

i was jk, I never did a compression test. 12 would be like No rings or something.
 Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #63
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Qwik6 View Post
You guys have me scared to do mine. 72k miles and have been running over 18psi for almost 2 years. This shouldn't take a second hand should it? Just hook it up and crank the car over a few times. Should hold the max right?
Nope, the gauge holds the peak value each compression stroke. So hold the gas and clutch in, crank, and go over to the engine and check.
Qwik6 (04-12-2010)
 Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #64

Qwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So gas and clutch in. What about a fuse?

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #65

Not Ranked  0 score     

Pull all plugs... connect gauge to one cylinder. turn car on. push ghes and clutch all the way in...crank until the gauge is not rising anymore. you can have a friend check it or set it so you can see it from inside the car, then read the number, release the pressure in the gauge to reset it...and repeat.

My battery sucks so I hooked up jumper cables to another run that was idling while I did it. Or hook up a battery charger or something.
Qwik6 (04-17-2010)
 Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #66

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dry test: 130, 130, 130, 130

Wet test: 150, 150, 150, 150

13k miles. 2009 MS3 GT

SRI, TIP, HPFP, BPV, RMM

Yeah I know. I'm screwed.

Car runs fine but I felt a dramatic loss in power late last December 09 when I installed these 3 mods: HPFP, ITV22's, Cobb TIP. A guy on another forum said this to me about it...

I notice you have fouled plugs, that may explain your loss of power and backfiring. The fouling may be due to your aftermarket high pressure fuel pump. I suspect the MS3 uses a non-return fuel delivery system for direct injection, and the fuel pressure regulator is located in the fuel tank. If the new pump increases pressure so much that the regulator is constantly in bypass mode, you may be running very rich.
...which I have no idea if it's true. Though I will say that even though the car always ran rich, it definitely ran much richer after the HPFP. I'm going back to stock this weekend and will test again later. I'm at a loss though.

Last edited by shpankey; 04-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.
shpankey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #67

Not Ranked  0 score     

if its that consistent you're probably good to go and just how the gauge reads
 Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #68

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would think the same thing if it wasn't for the 20 psi raise across the board on the wet test.

Someone mentioned to me it could be the VVT. So I'm looking into that but not holding out a lot of hope. Sucks too cause I just spent a bunch of money on a new Meth kit mod.
 Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #69
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The wet test seems quite "low" as well so the gauge is probably reading low.

Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

13k miles. 2009 MS3 GT

SRI, TIP, HPFP, BPV, RMM

Car runs fine but I felt a dramatic loss in power late last December 09 when I installed these 3 mods: HPFP, ITV22's, Cobb TIP. A guy on another forum said this to me about it...

...which I have no idea if it's true. Though I will say that even though the car always ran rich, it definitely ran much richer after the HPFP. I'm going back to stock this weekend and will test again later. I'm at a loss though.
 Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #70

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

13k miles. 2009 MS3 GT

SRI, TIP, HPFP, BPV, RMM

I highly doubt your rings are that consistently worn perfectly across the board and is your cause of lost power.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
Frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #71

Not Ranked  0 score     

About the HPFP... this was said to me...

Higher pressure is not a good idea as its going to make the engine richer without tuning. Higher volume is OK but higher pressure is a bad idea. Considering the results of the wet test you should also do a leakdown test to determine how much leakdown you have. It's possible that the excess fuel washed the oil off the cylinder walls and damaged your piston rings.
...does that hold water? I have to admit that my power loss did come after I installed that.
 Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #72

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lots of people have installed aftermarket HPFP's without reporting a loss of power. I installed one a few weeks ago and if anything, the car feels stronger. High pressure is essential for overcoming the pressures within the cylinder to provide proper atomization of the fuel. How much fuel depends on how long the injectors stay open for and if the O2 sensors are doing their jobs, the ECU should adjust injector duty cycle to maintain the appropriate AFR. So do I think you're running rich because of a new pump? No. This car runs way rich from factory to begin with.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
Frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #73

cpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,862 Times in 739 Posts
Groans: 27
Groaned at 28 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer View Post
Lots of people have installed aftermarket HPFP's without reporting a loss of power. I installed one a few weeks ago and if anything, the car feels stronger. High pressure is essential for overcoming the pressures within the cylinder to provide proper atomization of the fuel. How much fuel depends on how long the injectors stay open for and if the O2 sensors are doing their jobs, the ECU should adjust injector duty cycle to maintain the appropriate AFR. So do I think you're running rich because of a new pump? No. This car runs way rich from factory to begin with.
i agree with this - i think for all the breather mods everyone likes to slap on the ms3, an aftermarket cdfp & a few negative numbers in the fp table on the standback could do everyone a bit of good...

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
cpolly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #74
Captain

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow aaron, not earth shattering bad, but not exactly optimal either.

Have you had any other dip stick issues recently?

www.permtuning.com
 Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #75

cpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

aaron - i kinda called this a while back if you remember when i sold you that used k04

btw guys something to keep in mind - if you are leaking compression out of your piston rings or out your valve guide seals - 2 things will be happening

1. your pcv will be even more messed up then normal - compression gases and pressures in places where they shouldn't be screws up the flow of lots of stuff -
a good indication of this (at least with the stock pcv setup) is seeing crud coming back out of the port on the valve cover that leads to your turbo intake -
when my motor was on it's way to death i had lots of crud in this area - at points so bad it was getting on my maf
2. you will be burning oil - i was up to about a quart every 200 miles when i started the battle for a new motor with my dealer - the amount that gets squeezed out via pcv imbalance should be minimal - if you notice more, you've got an issue
the day i actually took my car in i was bellowing smoke

if you have the other leak of compression (head gasket) you will most likely see increased ect - well above 220 - but hell the other things i'm saying here will cause that too

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
 Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #76

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by djuosnteisn View Post
Wow aaron, not earth shattering bad, but not exactly optimal either.

Have you had any other dip stick issues recently?
nope none at all

Originally Posted by cpolly69 View Post
aaron - i kinda called this a while back if you remember when i sold you that used k04

btw guys something to keep in mind - if you are leaking compression out of your piston rings or out your valve guide seals - 2 things will be happening

1. your pcv will be even more messed up then normal - compression gases and pressures in places where they shouldn't be screws up the flow of lots of stuff -
a good indication of this (at least with the stock pcv setup) is seeing crud coming back out of the port on the valve cover that leads to your turbo intake -
when my motor was on it's way to death i had lots of crud in this area - at points so bad it was getting on my maf
2. you will be burning oil - i was up to about a quart every 200 miles when i started the battle for a new motor with my dealer - the amount that gets squeezed out via pcv imbalance should be minimal - if you notice more, you've got an issue
the day i actually took my car in i was bellowing smoke

if you have the other leak of compression (head gasket) you will most likely see increased ect - well above 220 - but hell the other things i'm saying here will cause that too
yeah that is probably me. i lose a little oil over time but nothing crazy like 1 qt every 200 miles. ive had some stuff come thru the intake for quite awhile, even before i had most of the mods. I dont know if its just some coincidence or what, but either way ill prob be taking it easier on the car and/or mods... i'm not totally against building the engine, but i really dont have time to mess with that now.
djuosnteisn (04-12-2010)
 Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #77
Captain

Not Ranked  0 score     

Build your motor and compliment your bolt-ons with a shiny new big turbo

www.permtuning.com
 Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #78
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lots of smoke has also meant a bent rod. If the rod is bent and piston is traveling off centre from the bore, the rings won't seal well and you'll have lots of smoke.

Cpolly is correct, a lot of guys battling lots of smoke are probably leaking compression.

Aaron, your car has been like this for some time now and a lot of MS3s are. I remember way back in the day when you had oil in your intake.

Cpolly, did you ever figure out what caused your loss of compression? Was it rings or was it valves?

A lot of the gunk we get on the intake valves can prevent them from sealing.

Also, DI is notorious for being bad on the bore since it sprays fuel right against it and washes off oil film. If an oil squirter is partially plugged or oil control rings are blocked/fail that bore loses a lot of lubrications and wears down considerably faster. If an injector gets stuck open or overfuels it's game over as well.

IMO high quality synthetic is a must in this car from day 1 after seeing enough internals on these cars.
djuosnteisn (04-13-2010)
 Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #79

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Lots of smoke has also meant a bent rod. If the rod is bent and piston is traveling off centre from the bore, the rings won't seal well and you'll have lots of smoke.

Cpolly is correct, a lot of guys battling lots of smoke are probably leaking compression.

Aaron, your car has been like this for some time now and a lot of MS3s are. I remember way back in the day when you had oil in your intake.

Cpolly, did you ever figure out what caused your loss of compression? Was it rings or was it valves?

A lot of the gunk we get on the intake valves can prevent them from sealing.

Also, DI is notorious for being bad on the bore since it sprays fuel right against it and washes off oil film. If an oil squirter is partially plugged or oil control rings are blocked/fail that bore loses a lot of lubrications and wears down considerably faster. If an injector gets stuck open or overfuels it's game over as well.

IMO high quality synthetic is a must in this car from day 1 after seeing enough internals on these cars.
My own oil tests and the dealers leak down tests indicated that I was leaking compression via piston ring in cyl #3. My extreme imbalance in PCV would follow this line of thinking as well.

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
The Following User Says Thank You to cpolly69 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (04-13-2010)
 Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #80

Not Ranked  0 score     

Just verifying here-

you guys are calling passenger side cylinder 1 and driver side cylinder 4 right?

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/disi-compression-results-43395/
Posted By For Type Date
Random MS3 Chat Thread - Page 171 This thread Refback 04-20-2013 04:45 PM
Anyone measure compression on stock motor? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #12 Pingback 03-12-2010 08:06 AM