register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree36Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #921
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,245 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GregScuba View Post
That is the next thing I plan on doing. Don't want to take any chances. Plan on going with Stratified @Lex;. Def won't do any track days or anything too crazy until then. Been trying to keep the revs below ~5K in the mean time.

Edit: Just wonder if I should clean the intake valves before getting a tune? Perhaps @Lex; can chime in? 100K miles, and never cleaned the valves. Already have an air compressor, just would need the walnut media and the blaster tool.
your intake valves will be HORRIBLE, just a common issue with any DISI, Mazda, BMW, Audi, VW, etc.

Yes clean them before investing in a tune if feasible. It will run like a new car.

I personally bought Walnut media and a blaster on Amazon, made a plate out of 1x4 MDF using the IM gasket as a template, put two holes in each runner location (one for the blaster another for vacuum) and went to work with each cylinder at TDC. Just like the dealerships clean them.

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
BackRoads (06-11-2015)
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #922

BackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dano View Post
your intake valves will be HORRIBLE, just a common issue with any DISI, Mazda, BMW, Audi, VW, etc.

Yes clean them before investing in a tune if feasible. It will run like a new car.

I personally bought Walnut media and a blaster on Amazon, made a plate out of 1x4 MDF using the IM gasket as a template, put two holes in each runner location (one for the blaster another for vacuum) and went to work with each cylinder at TDC. Just like the dealerships clean them.

Interested - about how much did the parts/media cost you, and how much time to do it?

I had this done at 100k miles, with great results. Been thinking of it again as I am at 206k.
2007 Sunlight Silver MazdaSpeed3 Sport | BNR S3v2 | Autotech Internals | Cobb TIH | 3BAR MAP Sensor | Denso itv-22's | MSCAI | ETS 3.5" TMIC | Synchronic DV | Stratified EBCS | Guardian Angel | UR Test Pipe | Cobb AP | Koni Yellows | JBR RMM | CORN YEAH! | 246,000m | Tuned by STRATIFIED!!!
To install: CPE SafeSeals
2012 Velocity Red MazdaSpeed3 w/Tech | Sure Aeros V2 | 80,000m

Last edited by BackRoads; 06-11-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
BackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #923
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,245 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

let me amazon that for you

media..I got a larger bag but this lil guy would be plenty for a number of valve cleaning jobs.

Amazon.com : Frankford Arsenal 881538 Arsenal Brass Cleaning Walnut Media : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & OutdoorsAmazon.com : Frankford Arsenal 881538 Arsenal Brass Cleaning Walnut Media : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

blaster

Amazon.com: Campbell Hausfeld AT1226 Sandblasting Kit: Home ImprovementAmazon.com: Campbell Hausfeld AT1226 Sandblasting Kit: Home Improvement

intake removal/install is the most time consuming part maybe 2 hours total. blasting only took about 30 minutes. So +- 2.5 hours.

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
BackRoads (06-11-2015), Ferdball (06-14-2015), FreshAsWoodie (06-15-2015)
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #924

BackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the worldBackRoads is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks - not bad. If A person was pulling the IM anyway, seems smart.
2007 Sunlight Silver MazdaSpeed3 Sport | BNR S3v2 | Autotech Internals | Cobb TIH | 3BAR MAP Sensor | Denso itv-22's | MSCAI | ETS 3.5" TMIC | Synchronic DV | Stratified EBCS | Guardian Angel | UR Test Pipe | Cobb AP | Koni Yellows | JBR RMM | CORN YEAH! | 246,000m | Tuned by STRATIFIED!!!
 Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #925

jpopcorn is a jewel in the roughjpopcorn is a jewel in the roughjpopcorn is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well this wasn't exactly how I was hoping my first post would play out but here we are. I've been navigating around the forums just taking all the info in since buying the car last Novemberish, investing in an ap shortly after. Six months later I'm here with compression and leak down numbers..

Cyl 1: 175, 11% leakage
Cyl 2: 176, 6% leakage
Cyl 3: 155, 27% leakage past the rings
Cyl 4: 175, 7% leakage

Dont worry, I'll see myself over to the build diaries..
jpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpopcorn For This Useful Post:
Hammology (06-22-2015), JgamB (06-21-2015)
 Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #926

JgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,437 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jpopcorn View Post
Well this wasn't exactly how I was hoping my first post would play out but here we are. I've been navigating around the forums just taking all the info in since buying the car last Novemberish, investing in an ap shortly after. Six months later I'm here with compression and leak down numbers..

Cyl 1: 175, 11% leakage
Cyl 2: 176, 6% leakage
Cyl 3: 155, 27% leakage past the rings
Cyl 4: 175, 7% leakage

Dont worry, I'll see myself over to the build diaries..
At least you're paying attention. Odds are good you can recoup with minimal expense since you've caught it early, just plan for .020 over with the parts and research reputable machine shops near you.

13.10@117.1 full weight DD no prep 1/4 (BNR S3 / E85)
JgamB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JgamB For This Useful Post:
jpopcorn (06-22-2015)
 Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #927

jpopcorn is a jewel in the roughjpopcorn is a jewel in the roughjpopcorn is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JgamB View Post
At least you're paying attention. Odds are good you can recoup with minimal expense since you've caught it early, just plan for .020 over with the parts and research reputable machine shops near you.
Do most end up needing to bore? I've been hoping to get away with just honing as I'm looking to stay away from forged pistons with what I'm looking to get out of the car reliability and power wise.

From what I've read it seems sticking with the stock rods is a bad idea though.
 Old 06-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #928

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,123 Posts
Groans: 96
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

At these compression values I'm 100% sure you will not have to bore. However, expect to have cracked ring lands so do not buy just rings, get pistons and eventually (why not?!) rods as well.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
JgamB (06-22-2015), jpopcorn (06-23-2015)
 Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #929

JgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,437 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do most end up needing to bore? I've been hoping to get away with just honing as I'm looking to stay away from forged pistons with what I'm looking to get out of the car reliability and power wise.

From what I've read it seems sticking with the stock rods is a bad idea though.
Your rods aren't what got you into this situation - it's your ring lands (most likely, possibly a filthy valve not fully closing, didn't read the rest of this thread), and if you want more substantial ring lands, you will want forged pistons as well.

Your best bet if you want to get by on the cheap is a buy a reman from Edge and sell your long block. It's worth (a lot) more to the used market than it would be for the $450 core refund. They have a $50 option for a 3 year unlimited warranty, a no brainer if you go that route.

13.10@117.1 full weight DD no prep 1/4 (BNR S3 / E85)
JgamB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JgamB For This Useful Post:
jpopcorn (06-23-2015)
 Old 07-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #930
Police

InkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the worldInkedInspector is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,191 Times in 2,074 Posts
Groans: 312
Groaned at 43 Times in 19 Posts

2013-56k miles

SRI (Stock size), Catless DP, CPe Triton CBE, Autotechs, Freek OTS+, Original Spark Plugs, Roughly 90% of miles highway. T6 for it's lifetime.

Cylinder 1- 180
Cylinder 2- 175
Cylinder 3- 180
Cylinder 4- 175

I started losing oil a few weeks back, seems the K04 is not liking the catless DP. CPe TMIC, JBR 3" Intake, BNR S3, and CPe Manifold are on the way. Gonna let Mr. Hypnotic do a full tune on it.
JgamB likes this.
 Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #931

GregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the worldGregScuba is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Hammology View Post
If you wanna keep that compression the way it is, I suggest you get a real tune.
Cleaned the intake valves since my last compression test, and boy what a difference it made in performance and drivability!

I am currently on the first version of my pro tune with Stratified Automotive Controls, so decided to do another compression test today:

Once again, I'm thrilled with the results. All the while I was running the Cobb OTS map I never really saw any KR over 2, and trust me, I watched that shit like a hawk. There was only one exception when I got a bad tank of gas from a mom and pop station while traveling in the mountains, and my KR went up to 5.3, so I just took it easy until the next fill up, and sure enough, it went right back down.

Now that I'm running the first iteration of my stratified map, my KR has been below 0.8 so far. I know the tunes start out fairly conservative initially, but that is still pretty impressive, none the less. Kudos to Stan, @Lex; and everyone else at Stratified!
Cobb AP v3, tuning by Stratified Automotive Controls, Autotech HPFP internals, one step colder NGK Iridium plugs, Cobb DP, Magnaflow 3" CBE, Corksport SRI/TIP, Corksport Race RMM 80A, Synapse Synchronic DV in push mode A+B, Treadstone TR6 FMIC, JBR FMIC piping kit, JBR Silicone recirc hose, JBR rear sway bar, Bilstein B14 coilovers, SPC adjustable rear camber arms, Stoptech SS brake lines and brake pads, 17x9" et+45mm Enkei Racing RPF1's, 245/40/17 Hankook RS3's, JBR 5mm hub/wheel spacers in front.

Last edited by GregScuba; 07-22-2015 at 12:05 AM.
GregScuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregScuba For This Useful Post:
Hammology (07-17-2015), theurgy (07-17-2015)
 Old 07-18-2015, 03:07 AM   #932

HaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Within the past month or so I finally got around to upgrading my smoking K04 to a BNR s3. Prior to install we cleaned the intake valves and they were dirty as hell. Did the injector seals and all that jazz. Got it all back together and before I really started tuning I wanted to get a comp test since I have 87k miles on the car. Did the test and my numbers were pretty shit. 170,150,150,170. So I took it in for a Leakdown yesterday. His numbers were 160,150,135,160 with leaks coming from the intake valves. Said I need to have my head machines and reseat the valves. But after talking with some people here it's possible my valves are still dirty where they actually seat since you can only really clean when the valves are down. I'm just trying to figure out what to do exactly... On one hand is to start saving for rods and pistons and machine work. I have people here that will help me build, but the machine process and parts is $ I just don't have at the moment. That damn cylinder 3 is such a pain. Looking into what I can find about porting/machining the stock mani to try to avoid this issue in the future as well as meth. But that aquamist kit is looking pretty infeasible at the moment if I have to sell my first born to build this motor. But I guess the good news was it wasn't showing leak at the ringlands?

Edit: How can one safely clean intake valves while open to clean where they actually seat and from a seal?
2008 Ms3 Black Mica R.I.P. March 2008 - March 2016. MODS: HTP 3" intake, CX Racing FMIC with TR8 core, BNR S3, AP V3, Kozmic EGR delete, Matt Damond OCC, JBR short shift plate with bushings, HIDS, CP-E injector seals, TIG, 1 step colder plugs, Grimspeed EBCS, CS RMM, JBR passenger MM, motor craft tranny fluid, Autotech Internals

Current- 08.5 Ms3 cwp GT: Built block (sp63 4032 pistons, eagle h beams, CA625+ rod bolts/head studs, arp main studs, key'd crank, supertech 55lb valve springs, bsd delete, Block/pistons/rings/bearings WPC treated), HTP 4" intake, bnr S5 turbo (when it comes out), HTP hotside under route pipes, TR8 core, custom made cold pipes, ST intake mani, TIG, CP-E downpipe, CNT CBE, autotech hpfp, AP V3, grimmspeed ebcs, GA v3, TWM short shift assembly, JBR short shift plate, HFS-4 Meth kit, HTP front mount custom meth tank, damond motor mount trilogy, damond 3 port pcv plate, dual damond catch cans (one vented), step colder plugs, corksport injector seals, GFB bov, 51r battery, Bilstein B8 shocks, OZ ultralegga rims, custom oem clutch with Kevlar, Gen 2 trans.
HaXiR is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #933

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,123 Posts
Groans: 96
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cylinder #3 being lower is quite consistent with what we've seen so far in these engines. The heat either indicates more wear in the rings on #2 and #3 or even leads to ring lands cracking for those two (usually starting with #3 ).

So I'd say, if the car runs good currently leave it as is and don't do any more work to it as you can invite more problems in the game. Save for pistons and rods and have the head cleaned up when you pull the engine for the rebuild.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW

Last edited by mituc; 07-19-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo corrected
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #934

csmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond reputecsmaan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

70k on the clock mine tested out to be 180, 180, 178, 180. Funny enough it's #3 that's misfiring as well. Only problem is I can't remember if the 178 was on 2 or 3. Numbers are dry, didn't test wet.

Might have the valves cleaned at the dealer once I salve up some cash, no time to do it myself.

FREEKTUNED
ETS TMIC
Autotech HPFP Internals
CS Stage II SRI + TIP
Tial QR
UR Catback
UR Catless Test Pipe
Damond RMM
Damond SSP
csmaan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #935

Not Ranked  0 score     

Now that I've finally got around to tearing the motor down after seeing 27% leakage past cylinder 3, I don't notice anything too dramatic. I was expecting a cracked ringland but it doesn't look to be the case (at least without a closer look).

Is that kind of leakage possible with just bad rings? Being my first go at a rebuild I'm not sure if there's anything I'd be able to see that would be a telltale sign for the bad compression.
 Old 07-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #936
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,418 Times in 5,759 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Now that I've finally got around to tearing the motor down after seeing 27% leakage past cylinder 3, I don't notice anything too dramatic. I was expecting a cracked ringland but it doesn't look to be the case (at least without a closer look).

Is that kind of leakage possible with just bad rings? Being my first go at a rebuild I'm not sure if there's anything I'd be able to see that would be a telltale sign for the bad compression.
Was the car running funny at all? It could just be a worn engine if you don't find anything suspect. Maybe check ring end gap if you feel like it, check if the cylinder is out of round.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
jpopcorn (07-20-2015)
 Old 07-20-2015, 06:42 AM   #937

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
Was the car running funny at all? It could just be a worn engine if you don't find anything suspect. Maybe check ring end gap if you feel like it, check if the cylinder is out of round.
Everything was running fine, I wouldn't have even known there was a problem if I didn't do a compression and leakdown test. I did start getting some knock at higher rpms shortly after, though it could be unrelated as I didn't see any knock prior to running the tests. I guess I just figured with the usual cylinder 3 issues I'd see something obvious.
 Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #938
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,418 Times in 5,759 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Was it all leaking down through the crank case? Could injector seals have been a cause? Even at 30%, I probably wouldn't rebuild unless there were other problems. Did it burn oil?

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #939

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
Was it all leaking down through the crank case? Could injector seals have been a cause? Even at 30%, I probably wouldn't rebuild unless there were other problems. Did it burn oil?
Yeah there was a swift breeze coming from the oil cap haha. Injector seals looked fine but I'm replacing them regardless so we shall see. It didn't really burn oil, just needed topped off once between changes. As far as it really needing to be rebuilt I'm not sure, but it needed the timing components, valve cleaning, and downpipe so pulling the head was convenient enough with the extra pistons and rods I have.
 Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #940

HawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,397 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Addin' to the madness finally.

Mods are in Sig.

Cyl 1: 180
Cyl 2: 170
Cyl 3: 180
Cyl 4: 185

Ran immediately after getting the vehicle up to temperature. I'm thinking about doing a leakdown.
HawkeyeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #941

HawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the worldHawkeyeGeoff is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did another tonight after an oil change (and another warm up)
Got:
Cyl 1: 182
Cyl 2: 175/178 (2 tries)
Cyl 3: 182
Cyl 4: 185

I did a couple extra cranks on all of these this time. Interesting.
 Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #942

Not Ranked  0 score     

You are golden. How many miles on your engine?
 Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #943

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BackRoads View Post
You are golden. How many miles on your engine?
There's about 40-45k on the engine build. 60k on the whole car.

Edit; I want your bumper, in and around my mouth. lol done jacked mine up on the track.

AND Also going to do a leakdown once I get it from @maisonvi; I'll report back.
 Old 09-02-2015, 05:37 AM   #944

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
There's about 40-45k on the engine build. 60k on the whole car.

Edit; I want your bumper, in and around my mouth. lol done jacked mine up on the track.

Whaaaa??
 Old 09-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #945

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BackRoads View Post
Whaaaa??
You saying WHAAA to the length of the build or that I want to lick your non-jacked up bumper?
 Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #946

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,026 Times in 620 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

1 month ago:

1: 155 / 10%
2: 155 / 10%
3: 150 / 10%
4: 155 / 10%

Compression numbers are obviously low due to not engaging the gas pedal during startup.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #947

[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,238 Times in 814 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tested this morning. 60500 miles. Engine was completely cold.

1 - 181
2 - 180
3 - 180
4 - 180

Crazy, I've only driven 3000 miles in the last 5 months.

Cobb AP V3JBR Tru 3" Wide PathJBR Boost Tubes & BPV HoseCobb XLE BPVCP-E TMIC ║ UR Racepipe ║ Magnaflow CBEAutoTech InternalsGrimmSpeed EBCS ║ JBR RSBSPC Camber ArmsKW V3 CoiloversJBR IM+TB TIGs & TB BypassJBR SSPE - Focus RMMStopTech Slotted Rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff PadsTechna-Fit SS Brake Lines

[R]usty is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #948

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,026 Times in 620 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

One update on mine - still getting oil consumption despite strong numbers. We're pretty sure it's worn oil control rings.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #949
sho

sho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock motor at 145k miles. I retired it at 161.5k and it had seen 22psi from a 5858 from 124k to the day it was pulled out. (still ran great)

Built motor at 3k miles
Engine/exhaust goodies:
-Built bottom end -Manley H-Beams, Manley 88mm platinum series pistons, stock head, stock head studs, ACT 6puck w/ prolite flywheel, cp-e exhaust mani, PTE5862, 6th port w/ Bosch 2200's and aeromotive 325 stealth pump, tr1235 fmic w/ 3" cold side

Tuned by Realgib3

Last edited by sho; 09-23-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sho For This Useful Post:
HawkeyeGeoff (09-23-2015), snailD (09-25-2015)
 Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #950

riflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock motor, simple bolt ons with hpfp internals and Catless dp. 75k currently on motor. Had dp and internals on car for about 5k miles. Did my compression test yesterday while car was still warm. Pulled necessary fuses and all Spark plugs. Held down Clutch and gas while cranking.

1 - 188
2 - 190
3 - 189
4 - 188

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
riflex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #951

SNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock motor and turbo @ 95k. Hpfp internals, gutted cats, Cai and tip,

Dry: (130) (120) (110) (130)
Wet: (150) (150) (140) (140)

Leak down results
Cylinder 1 = 28%
Cylinder 2 = 33%
Cylinder 3 = 36%
Cylinder 4 = 32%

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 Old 10-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #952

blackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SNOW_QN View Post

Leak down results
Cylinder 1 = 28%
Cylinder 2 = 33%
Cylinder 3 = 36%
Cylinder 4 = 32%

Damn

Just did mine it april and had
1-180
2-180
3-180
4-180

Car has 77k with all bolt ons and meth
SNOW_QN likes this.
COBB ACCESSPORT//TURBOXS CATLESS DP+RACEPIPE//3 BAR MAP//3.5" HTP INTAKE//NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS//HKS CATBACK//AUTOTECH INTERNALS//COBB FMIC V2.0//HKS BOV BLACK EDITION IN VTA//RPF1 17x9//pilot super sport 245/45/17//ACT 6 PUCK//M.D OCC VTA//TOKAY SEALS//BNR S4//Hypnotic tuned

Last edited by blackms3_71; 10-06-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
blackms3_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #953

SNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the worldSNOW_QN is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm sure the last guy that owned this car raped the shit out of it. It's all good though.... "We will rebuild".

Old 10-09-2015, 02:20 AM   #954

HaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SNOW_QN View Post

Leak down results
Cylinder 1 = 28%
Cylinder 2 = 33%
Cylinder 3 = 36%
Cylinder 4 = 32%

Is that motor leak or valve leak?
2008 Ms3 Black Mica R.I.P. March 2008 - March 2016. MODS: HTP 3" intake, CX Racing FMIC with TR8 core, BNR S3, AP V3, Kozmic EGR delete, Matt Damond OCC, JBR short shift plate with bushings, HIDS, CP-E injector seals, TIG, 1 step colder plugs, Grimspeed EBCS, CS RMM, JBR passenger MM, motor craft tranny fluid, Autotech Internals

Current- 08.5 Ms3 cwp GT: Built block (sp63 4032 pistons, eagle h beams, CA625+ rod bolts/head studs, arp main studs, key'd crank, supertech 55lb valve springs, bsd delete, Block/pistons/rings/bearings WPC treated), HTP 4" intake, bnr S5 turbo (when it comes out), HTP hotside under route pipes, TR8 core, custom made cold pipes, ST intake mani, TIG, CP-E downpipe, CNT CBE, autotech hpfp, AP V3, grimmspeed ebcs, GA v3, TWM short shift assembly, JBR short shift plate, HFS-4 Meth kit, HTP front mount custom meth tank, damond motor mount trilogy, damond 3 port pcv plate, dual damond catch cans (one vented), step colder plugs, corksport injector seals, GFB bov, 51r battery, Bilstein B8 shocks, OZ ultralegga rims, custom oem clutch with Kevlar, Gen 2 trans.
HaXiR is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #955

Not Ranked  0 score     

It was leaking into the crank case.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #956

lolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the worldlolwrx is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

2010 with 81k mods in sig. Stage 2 since 65k and bnr since 75k. First time testing.
Looks pretty consistent around 190 in every cylinder. Performed the test at operating temp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (611.4 KB, 44 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to lolwrx For This Useful Post:
BackRoads (10-25-2015)
 Old 12-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #957

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 65
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sitting at 46 k drivin hard highway miles. Tuned at 9k on e85.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1// Air Lift 1000 in rear
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #958

everton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did this today.
GTX2871, CPE TMIC, 3.5 intake, UR catless TBE, and EGR Delete. I'm switching to an S4 within the next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
everton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #959

Rcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond reputeRcimp has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

With 157K miles

#1 = 180
#2 = 150
#3 = 125
#4 = 180
BEGI SRI
CNT Catted Downpipe
Forge BOV
CorkSport Turbo Inlet Pipe / Silicone BPH / Boost Tubes / Dry Flow Air Filter
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
CPE Xflex Stage 2 Driver Side MM
CPE Xflex Stafge 2 Rear MM
AWR Passenger Mount 88 Duro
Power Slot Rotors
Rcimp is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #960

brandon96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

2010 speed3 stock at 85k km..
Dry
cyl 1 - 170
cyl 2 - 150
cyl 3 - 160
cy 4 - 190

wet
cyl 1 - 185
cyl 2 - 180
cyl 3 - 190
cy 4 - 190

Last edited by brandon96; 01-15-2016 at 03:14 PM.
brandon96 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/disi-compression-results-43395/
Posted By For Type Date
Random MS3 Chat Thread - Page 171 This thread Refback 04-20-2013 04:45 PM
Anyone measure compression on stock motor? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #12 Pingback 03-12-2010 08:06 AM