register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree37Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #161

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,676 Times in 710 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Been meaning to tell u guys I rented a brand new gauge still in plastic couple weeks ago. I got 100-105 in cylinders 1,2,4 and 85 in 3. I don't think those # are accurate that other gauge I had was leaking and reading 180, lesson learned? don't trust those dang gauges. I saw an auto tv show that said the same thing. All gauges read different.

Originally Posted by cpolly69 View Post
140 is the min i believe - they are also looking for a 40lb difference in between any 2 cylinders iirc
The shop manual sais 129 lowest acceptable and know more than a 28.5psi variance.

Last edited by gsrtype1; 06-17-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
gsrtype1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gsrtype1 For This Useful Post:
cpolly69 (06-17-2010)
 Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #162

cpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,862 Times in 739 Posts
Groans: 27
Groaned at 28 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry joe,
been a while since i looked at that page in the fsm - i was all over it back in december
the real question is, could that cat get any fatter??

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
cpolly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpolly69 For This Useful Post:
2007speed3 (06-18-2010), FreeFlyFreak (06-17-2010), gsrtype1 (06-17-2010)
 Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #163

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,676 Times in 710 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cpolly69 View Post
sorry joe,
been a while since i looked at that page in the fsm - i was all over it back in december
the real question is, could that cat get any fatter??
haha actually bro his fur just makes him look fatter. He is fat butt twitch in my sig actually weigh's more than big oranger lol...
 Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #164

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I had read the 129 somewhere also. So if mine is 130 (which it is, every time) are they going to say no can do? Over a silly 1 psi? That would be the shits. Have to pay them $200 and lose my car for another week b/c of 1 psi. I honestly don't know what to do now. All cylinders are reading dead on 130psi. Every single time.
 Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #165

8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,183 Times in 2,324 Posts
Groans: 326
Groaned at 53 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

how close are you to the dealer?

drive to a spot close by.

go have lunch and let the engine cool down

get to the dealer quick and do a comp test while ECTs are normal, but the block is still relatively cool

cold motor = lower compression. usually you need to go for a nice 15 min drive to bring the metal up to full operating temps
8.5MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #166

byau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond reputebyau has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

you might've already answered this but have you tried a different gauge?
byau is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #167

cpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the worldcpolly69 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

dealer is not going to want to just do one test and say - hey's its low get this guy a new motor - that's not how it works - trust me i know
first u have to describe to them the symptoms of lost compression - i.e. i'm down on power or my car is smoking -
then you have to sit around and let them make judgments on their own - u can't just go in and demand they do a compression test - if u do - u will pay for the test
there has to be a diagnosable chain of events that leads to you having lost compression and you have to convince people
btw if you are gonna start that battle - don't show up if you have flashed your ecu and don't show up if you have any mods - stock out
also be sure to bring every oil change record you have - to show a solid history of oil changes

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
 Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #168

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm %100 stock now. Never flashed my ECU, ever. I didn't have but a few small mods, intake, motor mount, shifter bushings, etc. They are all back to stock. The car has been in since then, they did the shifter fix under warranty. They already seen all my oil change receipts (I'm an oil super fan, I buy tons and TONS of it). They even commented how much oil I have. lol So I'm all good on that front.

I told them about the power loss, and in my mind it's absolutely dramatic. But their "tech" drove me car and told them it drives like every speed 3 he's driven before. They had logged over 10 miles on the car so I'm assuming he went hot rodding to test it out (how else?). Which I'm not sure if I appreciate. lol
 Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #169

rudeboy3 has a spectacular aura aboutrudeboy3 has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 170s Across the Board

I was changing my spark plugs back to stock today so I decided to do a check. Cylinder 3 almost proved to be a heart breaker at 160, but I didn't crank as long as the others. It too tested at 170 the second time. My MS3 has 25 000 miles and change with no mods. I made sure the engine turned over six times before checking each cylinder. Car was fully warmed up.

Originally Posted by shpankey View Post
I'm %100 stock now. Never flashed my ECU, ever. I didn't have but a few small mods, intake, motor mount, shifter bushings, etc. They are all back to stock. The car has been in since then, they did the shifter fix under warranty. They already seen all my oil change receipts (I'm an oil super fan, I buy tons and TONS of it). They even commented how much oil I have. lol So I'm all good on that front.

I told them about the power loss, and in my mind it's absolutely dramatic. But their "tech" drove me car and told them it drives like every speed 3 he's driven before. They had logged over 10 miles on the car so I'm assuming he went hot rodding to test it out (how else?). Which I'm not sure if I appreciate. lol
I hate the fact they make it so difficult. I had a brutally rough idle and it took three visits with persistent politeness until they cleaned the egr. Same thing: They test drove it twice and concluded that the car ran like a champ until they eventually conceded that it needed attention. Don't give up and keep repeating that your power is way down, stumbles etc.: I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by rudeboy3; 06-20-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
rudeboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #170

Not Ranked  0 score     

Just an update. Also need some advice. Last night, I finally got around to getting another compression tester. I borrowed one from O'Reilly's. After a long drive, car was warmed all the way up. I did the test again. My new Amazon bought compression tester once again read 130psi across all cylinders. Then I used the O'Reilly's one. Please someone tell me what this means...

After cranking the engine over 6 times... it would read 150psi on all cylinders. But it was still climbing rapidly with each crank over.

But if I kept letting it crank to 12 or 13 times, it would go just above 180psi on all cylinders. That's the max it would go to no matter how long I let it crank.

So my question is, what is my reading? Is it 150psi or 180psi?
 Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #171

Not Ranked  0 score     

it's 180 and as long as that's what it is on all 4 u are fine

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
The Following User Says Thank You to cpolly69 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (06-25-2010)
 Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #172

Not Ranked  0 score     

YES!!!!!!!!

Thank you sir! Whew... I cannot tell you how much this has been weighing on me. To think your car is fubar'd is hard to deal with. In this case, this car is my BABY. lol
 Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #173

*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Glad I found this thread and the advice in it. A little history about my situation:

I had the VVT TSB done on my car about 3K ago when the car was at 55K. Mazda shared in some of the cost since it was a known issue and I had it in several times before the warranty was up, but I still had to lay out $700 to get it and other things fixed.

About 2 weeks later while on the highway, I had to get out of the way of an idiot in a hurry, so I gave it some gas while in 6th. My DH lit up like a christmas tree with KR, so I immediately let off the gas put the clutch in. At the same time, I was thinking "Oh shit, did I just bend a rod?" Since that incident, I was seeing KR more frequently and higher, so I was really nervous about the engine condition.

After reviewing some posts, I decided to try going with 1 step colder plugs. I did that, but I didn't see a huge reduction in KR. Of course, I couldn't find the compression test thread until after swapping plugs, because that would have been too easy.

Last night, I went to Autozone to rent their compression tester. Hmm, thought it was free, but they told me it was $38 to rent. After seeing it, I decided it looked like a POS, so decided to buy one. They had one for $49, but it had about 2" of dust on it with very few adapters, so I took a stroll across to Sears. Picked up a nice one for $65 with all the adapters that I could every think of needing.

Did the test this morning after warming car for 15-20 minutes:

Pass side
#1 185
#2 180
#3 185
#4 190
Driver side

Sigh of relief ^^^

Just for good measure, test #2:
Pass side
#1 180
#2 180
#3 175ish
#4 180
Drivers side

^^^ Huge sign of relief!

Re-checked gap on 1-step colder plugs. 1 was way off at approx .034, so re-gapped all of them to .028, as I am getting a Cobb AP soon.

My car: '06 Speed6 with 58K miles, Cobb SRI, AWR RMM, JBarone SSP and bushings, Magnaflow CBE, Hypertech tuned, 1-Step colder plugs and Dashhawk (to scare the shit out of me!)
*Scotsman* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Scotsman* For This Useful Post:
Dano (11-06-2010)
 Old 11-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #174

2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,638 Times in 353 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^^ I thought it was free to rent as well. I thought they would charge you a fee then as you return it you would get your money back.

What was the difference between the first test and second? both warm engine/ cold engine etc?
2007speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #175

*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldn't have rented the one they had even if it was free....it looked nasty!

Difference between the 1st & 2nd test......about 5 mins!!!

I figured that since it was all pulled apart, I would just retest. Both were while the engine was warm, but presumably, the second was slightly cooler. :grin
*Scotsman* is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #176

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i had 175 all four cylinders with 20 k on my ms6
DaleNixon (11-11-2010)
 Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #177

AutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't own a MS3 anymore, but before I got rid of my 2008 MS3 because my dip stick would blow out and shoot oil all over the engine bay, the dealer checked compression and it was within specs... Then they did a leak-down test failed majorly saying I needed a new engine...

Moral of the story, compression test (according to shops in general) does not tell you the whole story... The only and true test is leak-down.

At least thats what I've been told.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutoXRacer For This Useful Post:
DaleNixon (11-11-2010), FreeFlyFreak (11-11-2010)
 Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #178
Captain

djuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the world
Thanked 30,914 Times in 7,769 Posts
Groans: 79
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wonder if a bad PCV and leaky intake valves could falsely indicate bad rings on a leak down.

500awhp 440awtq uncorrected

EFR8374 ms6, no meth, 50/50 e85, and IDCs in the 90's @ 500+ awhp, with room to grow... fifth port winning.
Count down to head lift.... 3.... 2....

30r ms3 dd on deck, has fuel... needs top mount turbo lovin' next...

Check out the hair Salon:
www.permtuning.com
djuosnteisn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #179

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by djuosnteisn View Post
I wonder if a bad PCV and leaky intake valves could falsely indicate bad rings on a leak down.
I've had this thought -
It has been proven that the factory pcv valve does leak and it is connected straight to the crankcase/im, but the pressure transfer as to what's going on inside the combustion chamber shouldn't be effected by what's going all the way out in that area...
As for the valves what happens with oil added should do a good job of indicating if this is the culprit.....
My 2 cents anyway

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
The Following User Says Thank You to cpolly69 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (11-11-2010)
 Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #180
Captain

djuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the worlddjuosnteisn is the leader of the world
Thanked 30,914 Times in 7,769 Posts
Groans: 79
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, don't they usually just listen for where the air leaks from when doing a leak down test? Like listen to the dip stick, if it's leaking... then it's rings. Or if it's coming out the IM, it's int valves... etc etc etc.

If the pressure leaked through gummed up int valves, through PCV, into CC and out dip stick, it could be falsely construed as rings when it's not.

I dunno, i'm just bored at this point....

500awhp 440awtq uncorrected

EFR8374 ms6, no meth, 50/50 e85, and IDCs in the 90's @ 500+ awhp, with room to grow... fifth port winning.
Count down to head lift.... 3.... 2....

30r ms3 dd on deck, has fuel... needs top mount turbo lovin' next...

Check out the hair Salon:
www.permtuning.com
djuosnteisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djuosnteisn For This Useful Post:
cpolly69 (11-11-2010)
 Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #181

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

well you guys are kinda right. Compression tests done tell you a whole lot. I did a leak down test as the same time as my compression. 175psi all four. leak down test showed 15% leakdown past the rings. this is a normal range.

To do the leakdown you pressurize the cylinder with 100psi air, based on what the gauges are showing thats the percent leakdown. you then need to find where its coming from. only three ways, well four ways it can leak. you listen into the exhaust, if you hear air coming out then you have leaking exhaust valves. Same goes for intake. Note that you can have gunked up intake valves and no air leak past them. The valve seat can be closed fully with gunked up valves. Im starting to get some build up on mine and no valves were leaking. I had leak down past the rings, i took the oil cap off and you can clearly hear the air rushing into it. A rare way for leak down would be between cylinders if the engine was over heated.

It would be hard IMO to misinterpret these readings. if it was leaking past the intake valves and through the pcv. you would still notice most of the air in the intake system and very minimal in the crankcase.

You can also test if your rings are worn by doing a wet compression test. Most are done dry as most people do. If you suspect rings are the issue and dont have leak down test. Put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and retest. The reading should be higher. If theres a huge difference between the two. the rings are most likely escessively worn
 Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #182
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,341 Times in 6,955 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ Or the rings are coked and seized no longer sealing.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #183

mo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant futuremo4130 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 13 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

195 on all four. Initial pressure was 90 psi on the first crank. 37500 miles with a Sri test pipe ets tmic. Still smokes a little on idle. At least the engine is good.
djuosnteisn (12-09-2010), Lex (11-27-2010)
 Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #184
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,283 Posts
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Getting ready to do a comp test.
I have been reading this thread from the beginning and it's been mentioned that if you have flashed the ECU not to bother going to the dealer for engine warranty work in case its needed.
How about if you have an AP, flash back the stock map, and "unmarry it" from the ECU? can they still find out if the ECU has been reflashed in the past?
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #185

BigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the worldBigJimMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,458 Times in 2,521 Posts
Groans: 76
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I had my 07 speed 3 at the shop about a month ago I asked if they could do a compression test and they did 180 in all four 07 with 30k at the time
Stockish
2013 Driver's edition GTI
Stock
BigJimMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJimMs3 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (12-09-2010)
 Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #186

8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world8.5MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,183 Times in 2,324 Posts
Groans: 326
Groaned at 53 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I unmarried my ap when I brought my car to the dealer for a new turbo. They scanned the ecu for trouble codes n whatever else, told me that they found nothing. That's not to say if they really wanted to dive into the bowels of the software they wouldn't find anything. But for general purposes, no they can't detect it.
8.5MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8.5MS3 For This Useful Post:
Tomas (11-28-2010)
 Old 11-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #187
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,283 Posts
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 8.5MS3 View Post
I unmarried my ap when I brought my car to the dealer for a new turbo. They scanned the ecu for trouble codes n whatever else, told me that they found nothing. That's not to say if they really wanted to dive into the bowels of the software they wouldn't find anything. But for general purposes, no they can't detect it.
ok, good. I am bolted except for DP running ATR and will keep it that way then.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #188

leo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond reputeleo766 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 11
Groaned at 89 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wassup61 View Post
Uhh... here is the procedure for comp test.

1. beat shit out of car to warm up
2. come home and pull plugs
3. depress clutch AND gas all the way to the floor and crank 5-8 times (will keep injectors from firing and open throttle plate).

4. Measure compression per cyl.
5 charge battery.

I have 8.8:1 arias, after beating on it and getting it hot i comp tested 183,182,184,187, which is high for a low comp. motor.
note the underlined... i wonder how this genius starts his car in the morning? cuz u do know that "starting" the car is step 3, its just that by pulling plugs ur making sure the fuel ur dumping into ur exhaust is pooling up, ready to blow the insides of your cat all over your drive way lol

also beating the shit out of your car to warm it up is the dumbest idea, i bet this guy has, or is going to have a smoking turbo in no time, since just cuz its a water cooled turbo, doesnt mean the oil is pumping through it full speed, even if you coolant temp guage says so(guage reads even at 160... noticeable performanc gain in keeping it around 190-200 for me personally which takes about 5 more min after the temp guage reads even which seems to mean that ur temp is 160-220)

anyways, pull fuel relay fuse, same as the HPFP rmoval procedure, then crank the car to make sure it doesnt start or starts and stalls

thats it... why not do it te right way? and not make ur exhaust into a 5th cylinder

i honestly think people are just afraid of pulling relays cuz they dont get that its not some scary device, and works much like a fuse, that and poor instructions

well im done with my 6am morning b!tch!ng
leo766 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #189

Not Ranked  0 score     

The factory service manual is usually a good place to start looking for a proper compression test procedure. Internet cliff notes will almost always get you a hand full of fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01 MX-5 (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
 Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #190

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by leo766 View Post
note the underlined... i wonder how this genius starts his car in the morning? cuz u do know that "starting" the car is step 3, its just that by pulling plugs ur making sure the fuel ur dumping into ur exhaust is pooling up, ready to blow the insides of your cat all over your drive way lol

also beating the shit out of your car to warm it up is the dumbest idea, i bet this guy has, or is going to have a smoking turbo in no time, since just cuz its a water cooled turbo, doesnt mean the oil is pumping through it full speed, even if you coolant temp guage says so(guage reads even at 160... noticeable performanc gain in keeping it around 190-200 for me personally which takes about 5 more min after the temp guage reads even which seems to mean that ur temp is 160-220)

anyways, pull fuel relay fuse, same as the HPFP rmoval procedure, then crank the car to make sure it doesnt start or starts and stalls

thats it... why not do it te right way? and not make ur exhaust into a 5th cylinder

i honestly think people are just afraid of pulling relays cuz they dont get that its not some scary device, and works much like a fuse, that and poor instructions

well im done with my 6am morning b!tch!ng
I agree with you about not beating on a car to warm it up. Very stupid. One should wait till oil is at operating temp before anything serious. But the guy is right about pushing the gas pedal down to close the throttle plate being sufficient. Pulling the HPFP fuse is not a necessity if doing this.
 Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #191
aspiring turbo guru

08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 08_ms3_gt View Post
did a compression test tonight;

2008.5 mazdaspeed3, 35,000 miles (literally)

cylinder pressures:

(pass side)
cyl 1 - 182psi
cyl 2 - 177psi
cyl 3 - 175psi
cyl 4 - 178psi
(driver side)

b/c i was doing the test alone, i'm actually pretty sure all of the pressures were around 180-185. the reading was declining before i even got from the inside of the car to the engine.
did a new compression test this week - 49,670 miles.

(pass side)
cyl 1 - 179psi
cyl 2 - 179psi
cyl 3 - 179psi
cyl 4 - 179psi
(driver side)

the results are more consistent probably because the testing was more consistent - i was sure to max the pressure on the gauge, then jumped from the driver's seat to the engine bay to read it.

from these results, it would appear as though my cylinder #3 is okay, and the pressures have decreased maybe a little bit (if it all) in 15,000 miles.
[sold - 90 Miata - summer/project car, turbo w/ goodies, DIYPNP, springs/struts, etc.]
[sold - 08 MS3 GT - intake/downpipe/tuning/fuel pump/TMIC/springs/struts/etc.]

Last edited by 08_ms3_gt; 12-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
08_ms3_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 08_ms3_gt For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (12-09-2010)
 Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #192

Not Ranked  0 score     

08_MS3_GT how many cranks did you do on them?
 Old 12-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #193
aspiring turbo guru

08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

probably around 10. i think it took less than 10 to max the pressure, but i wanted to be sure.
[sold - 90 Miata - summer/project car, turbo w/ goodies, DIYPNP, springs/struts, etc.]
 Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #194

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. Experts... what does it mean when it takes me 17 to 20 cranks to reach 180psi?
 Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #195
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. Experts... what does it mean when it takes me 17 to 20 cranks to reach 180psi?
Can't say much without more testing ... if it reaches 180psi you can just call it a day and sleep well or worry about it some more and do a leakdown test.

I would do the former.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (12-09-2010)
 Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #196
aspiring turbo guru

Not Ranked  0 score     

You may have a bad tester, or a bad battery. 20 is a lot, but I'd go with what Lex said.
 Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #197

turboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond reputeturboneil has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've heard that you should hit about 100psi on the first crank. So if it does that hen I wouldn't worry about it.
turboneil is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #198

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. The battery is great actually. My first crank hits like 50 - 70 psi usually. I honestly think my performance loss has came from dirty intake valves now as there's nothing wrong with the car at all as far as starting or driving, other than the power loss. I don't burn oil. In fact, I don't even smoke. Car starts right up. 27k miles now and it runs great other than the power loss. This is why I looked at the compression in the first place.

I should add more to the story though. I bought a brand new compression tester from amazon. Supposedly one of their best ones. Has a million adapters. And with this tester I hit 150psi across the board. Doing a wet test gave me a bit more psi but not 180. Then, using the advice given here, I borrowed a compression tester from a local parts store to test it again and that one gave me 180 psi across all cylinder's... so I took it the one from amazon was just miscalibrated or bad or something. I can't really afford a leakdown test right now so I'm just kind of doing what Lex recommended. The power loss is there and evident but it's still fairly fast car and I don't get on it much at all anyhow so I'm just driving it as is.
 Old 12-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #199
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. The battery is great actually. My first crank hits like 50 - 70 psi usually. I honestly think my performance loss has came from dirty intake valves now as there's nothing wrong with the car at all as far as starting or driving, other than the power loss. I don't burn oil. In fact, I don't even smoke. Car starts right up. 27k miles now and it runs great other than the power loss. This is why I looked at the compression in the first place.

I should add more to the story though. I bought a brand new compression tester from amazon. Supposedly one of their best ones. Has a million adapters. And with this tester I hit 150psi across the board. Doing a wet test gave me a bit more psi but not 180. Then, using the advice given here, I borrowed a compression tester from a local parts store to test it again and that one gave me 180 psi across all cylinder's... so I took it the one from amazon was just miscalibrated or bad or something. I can't really afford a leakdown test right now so I'm just kind of doing what Lex recommended. The power loss is there and evident but it's still fairly fast car and I don't get on it much at all anyhow so I'm just driving it as is.
So you've had power loss? Have you been getting lots of blowby (oil in intake etc)?
 Old 12-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #200

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah definite power loss. Very very noticeable. Not sure on the blowby. How do I check for that? You say oil will be in the intake? What do I take off to look in that? I know this sounds really dumb, but I'm not sure where the intake manifold is. lol. Or do you mean I should look in the air intake? I've had the air intake and TIP and TMIC off a few times but never noticed any oil anywhere. I also cleaned the EGR and EGR pipe at 12k miles with seafoam and carb cleaner and also took the hose off that goes to the throttle body and cleaned the throttle body. But on any of these, nothing was really ever very dirty or oily to be honest.

I've also cleaner the MAP sensor at 12k miles and I clean the MAF everytime I clean the air filter, so about 5 times so far, as I like to keep the air filter very clean. I also run synthetic oil's in everything, including transmission (XT-M5-QS) and power steering (Amsoil ATF) and brake fluid (Valvoline DOT 4 & 5 full synthetic) and oil (currently Edge 5w30, but have ran Redline, Royal Purple, German Castrol, Rotella T6 and Pennzoil Ultra European Formula). I've also changed the plugs a few times, as I tried some step colder Denso's, then step colder NGK Iridium IX's, but since have changed back to stock heat range OEM NGK Laser's, which are supposed to be exactly like the stock plugs, gap at .28 as the Denso's and NGK IX's fouled out early on me. I've also put a new PCV valve on it at 20k miles since I was already there messing with it (taking the OCC kit off) and broke the original by accident trying to get the OCC lines off. So I just put a brand new PCV valve back on it.

I took the OCC kit off (matt's) because it caused my car to smoke a bit. Another user here told me that happened to him to when he put an OCC on and it was due to something about CC pressure or some such. When I took the OCC off, it stopped smoking, just like he said, so I've left it off since then. I had it on for about 5k miles or so. It never collected all that much. Maybe a 1/4 of a cup, if that, every 6 to 7k miles. I figured this was due to using high quality synthetic oils.

Oh yeah, last thing, I Seafoam the car right before every oil change to try to help combat the intake valve issue. This seems to regain some of the power, but not all, each time, but it doesn't last long at all. Withing 150 to 200 miles the car goes right back to where it was. So I'm not sure how much this is really helping.

Last edited by shpankey; 12-17-2010 at 03:05 PM.
shpankey is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/disi-compression-results-43395/
Posted By For Type Date
Random MS3 Chat Thread - Page 171 This thread Refback 04-20-2013 04:45 PM
Anyone measure compression on stock motor? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #12 Pingback 03-12-2010 08:06 AM