register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,369 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default EGR delete survey

I've mulled over the pros and cons of an EGR delete for a while.

Some will quickly tell you that the great advantages of keeping the intake clean are ... well great. This is true. Soot, carbon, etc will shorten the life of the motor, may pre-ignite, can even cover the valve seating surface and cause poor compression. Those are all pros to doing it.

However, in spite of popular belief, EGR actually cools combustion temperature (at part load) and REDUCES knock in most engines by inserting an inert gas (exhaust). This may not be the case with the Speed as it seems to cause it more than anything.

I am sure many of you have noticed that after a long highway cruise, going WOT causes instant-mega-KR. Some motors have died this way. Once this shot of detonation happens, going WOT again doesn't cause it until after another cruise period. Rinse and repeat.

So I want to hear first hand the experiences of those that HAVE removed the EGR. I don't care about CELs etc - I want to know how the car runs. More knock? Less knock? Were you able to eliminate the dreaded highway cruise knock by taking out the EGR? Aaron said this has worked for him.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
ak_spray (05-21-2012), BolvangaR (03-31-2010), breakfstincluded (05-14-2012), FreeFlyFreak (04-02-2010), karl-hungus (03-31-2010), SpeedSixxx (04-01-2010), Superstretch18 (04-01-2010)
 Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i thought egr only recirculated at wot?
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
i thought egr only recirculated at wot?
EGR valve is only open during light loads. Not at WOT (because it reduces power) and not at idle (because it causes for unstable idle).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
aaronc7 (04-01-2010), BolvangaR (03-31-2010), NRSpeed (03-31-2010), SpeedSixxx (04-01-2010)
 Old 03-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #4

madvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,994 Times in 1,710 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just deleted mine a few weeks ago, but the car hasn't been driven much since. I will have more impressions to offer by the end of this weekend.
[Precision 5557 T4 flanged Journal Bearing Turbo][Race Roots Ceramic Coated T4 Manifold][Race Roots 3" V-Band Catless Downpipe][Race Roots Under-Car FMIC kit][CXracing 18"x31"x3" IC Core][Tial 44mm EWG With 0.9Bar Spring][Cobb AP][Full Str33tunit Mount Set][Madvillain 4" Inlet/Intake][Cp-e xcelXL Maf Housing][Devilsown Meth Injection Kit][HKS Ignition Amplifier][Cp-e Catback Exhaust][HKS bov][PTP IM Spacer][Whoosh EGR Delete][AEM Digital Boost Gauge][Matt Damond OCC Kit][Trunk Mounted Optima Battery with KnuKonceptz Kit][Madvillain ECU box][TWM Short Shifter][BC Coilovers][Cobb Rear Sway Bar][Falken Azenis rt615's][Eibach Pro 25mm Spacers]
madvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

JmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the world
Groans: 109
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i have it done. for a long time now. car feels the same. i only ever see .35 or .70 knock but i couldnt tell you if that is a before or after affect of the egr delete
JmkC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JmkC For This Useful Post:
BolvangaR (03-31-2010)
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JmkC View Post
i have it done. for a long time now. car feels the same. i only ever see .35 or .70 knock but i couldnt tell you if that is a before or after affect of the egr delete
Have you had the highway knock when going WOT I described in the OP?
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #7

JmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the worldJmkC is the leader of the world
Groans: 109
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Have you had the highway knock when going WOT I described in the OP?
Nope never that i can recall, longest trip i have driven with my car was 3 hours in once direction
JmkC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,013 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ive had it forever. ive never had phamtom knock on the highway. i get bad PT knock sometimes and NEVER knock at WOT, EVER. my egt gauge is enough to tell me when my motor is warm or not. i even use it to tell when my car has cooled down so i can shut it off.

egr is for emissions and emissions only.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
SpeedSixxx (04-01-2010)
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #9

booya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,605 Times in 140 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Re: EGR delete survey

Subbing hopefully more comment
The Following User Says NO Thank You to booya620 For This Un-useful Post:
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #10

danesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the worlddanesti is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,524 Times in 1,687 Posts
Groans: 137
Groaned at 77 Times in 70 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

my auto book says that EGR can help prevent detonation and increase spark advance on cruise level loads (more efficient)

if detonation is caused by heat and pressure, adding more nitrogen oxides (the point of the EGR) would (im guessing?) help to richen the mixture under these low load types and decrease knock w/o injectors adding more "new" fuel into the mixture?

what about the heat from the exhaust gas recirculating? im sure it cools down quite a bit from the time it was combusted to the the time it makes its way through the system and back into the combustion chamber.

i dont know.. looking for more understanding here if you have it. thanks.
AP
danesti is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
WOT @1k RPM!

NRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,307 Times in 877 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 50 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ive been noticing when I get on the freeway for the first mile I will get lots of knock if Im cruising in high gear. Maybe its a lot of things but Ive noticed that when I get into cruise on the freeway (6th at sub 3k rpm) I will get a VERY high knock in the first mile or so.

I live less then two miles from the freeway. So, its possible that the first mile knock is due to the ECU seeing cruising speed and trying to use timing and EGR to get better efficiency.

Now, a couple days ago I thought "Ill ride it out see how long it goes" well, it knocked up as high as 5.5ish and went for longer then 15 seconds and thats when I finally clutched for a second. Then put it back in gear and the knock goes away.

This happens any time I drive less then 2 miles to get on the freeway. I do not boost, I do not go over 3k RPM and I do not go over 80% load. Yet I still get this crazy knock.

I think the ECU trys to max out the efficiency levels far to soon on the engines. This has been getting worse as my gas mileage has gotten better. Im at ~6800 miles and getting about 26 mpg (where as for the first 3-4k where about 18-21mpg).

Here is the kicker. If I do these exact same things (load, rpm, etc) on side road but at slower speeds/gears for the first 4-5 miles the car does NOT knock. Get on the freeway after that and its smooth sailing (other then the "pings" of 0.1-0.5 here and there as its adjusting).

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f8/setting-avatar-new-users-other-noobs-43712/
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f8/uploading-adding-images-your-post-43704/
No BB URL code = sux
NRSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRSpeed For This Useful Post:
Its2realj (05-18-2011)
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #12

madvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,994 Times in 1,710 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This car makes me nuts, I just sit there and stare at the dashhawk as I'm driving. I get pt throttle counts of 0.4 or 0.7 in almost every gear every time I take off from a stop light. This ONLY happens if I'm driving like a vagina, giving it as little throttle as possible. If I pt. throttle boost it (1-2psi) no knock, if I go WOT, no knock. I rarely every get anything above 1.0, and have never seen anything above 2.5 I don't think
[Precision 5557 T4 flanged Journal Bearing Turbo][Race Roots Ceramic Coated T4 Manifold][Race Roots 3" V-Band Catless Downpipe][Race Roots Under-Car FMIC kit][CXracing 18"x31"x3" IC Core][Tial 44mm EWG With 0.9Bar Spring][Cobb AP][Full Str33tunit Mount Set][Madvillain 4" Inlet/Intake][Cp-e xcelXL Maf Housing][Devilsown Meth Injection Kit][HKS Ignition Amplifier][Cp-e Catback Exhaust][HKS bov][PTP IM Spacer][Whoosh EGR Delete][AEM Digital Boost Gauge][Matt Damond OCC Kit][Trunk Mounted Optima Battery with KnuKonceptz Kit][Madvillain ECU box][TWM Short Shifter][BC Coilovers][Cobb Rear Sway Bar][Falken Azenis rt615's][Eibach Pro 25mm Spacers]
madvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #13

Smoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,988 Times in 299 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've had it deleted for a year or so, no adverse effects. I get ~7KR of phantom knock while cruising on the highway (started with CPE flashes -_-), but that said I get no KR at WOT at 21psi. I don't get the code because I removed it with the AP, I just have the CEL light on all the time, no biggie.
CPE CAI, SU MM, Synapse BPV, Magnaflow 2.5" CBE, MDS DashHawk, TWM SS Stage 1, TT Front MM, TT Rear Diff Mount, SU StiffDiff, Whiteline RSB, BC Coilovers, mrlilguy CDFP, CPE Catted DP, HKS Twin Power Ignition System, RAYS Gram Lights 57 Maximum Time Attack, CPE TIP, Denso 2Step Colder Spark Plugs, COBB Shifter Weight, SPC Ball Joints, VTCS, BS, & EGR Delete, VentPod w/VEI Boost Guage, Saikou Michi CC, Labonte ISG-S3 (not installed), GT2871r, DNP manifold, Tial 44mm EWG, Cobb AP, TT Liquid to Air Intercooler, DMH 3" exhaust cutout.
Smoker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
rabble rabble

802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,083 Posts
Groans: 221
Groaned at 103 Times in 56 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I always get phantom knock for the first 2 miles of a highway cruise, usually all the way up to 7 degrees. I just let the ECU do its thing. Like it has been said before, you should be able to hear knock if its bad. Maybe the ECU is extra extra extra sensitive at cruising speeds?

I haven't done the EGR delete, but I'm really close to doing it (and the teflon IM gasket). I found a shop that said for inspection they'll pass me for anything.
 Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #15

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

my speed6 is also like this on the highway, on normal roads doesn't do it, but as soon as i'm getting on to the highway there it is, then after a mile or so its gone. for me i think it has more to do with everything in the engine bay getting up to running temp.
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #16

Smoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the worldSmoker6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine never goes away sadly. I constantly have 6-7KR with any load on the engine. If I go WOT, instantly 0 KR. lol I guess it's better then the opposite of that! Just disappointing because I can't use my DH alerts. I still blame the CPE flash I got as that was when it started.
CPE CAI, SU MM, Synapse BPV, Magnaflow 2.5" CBE, MDS DashHawk, TWM SS Stage 1, TT Front MM, TT Rear Diff Mount, SU StiffDiff, Whiteline RSB, BC Coilovers, mrlilguy CDFP, CPE Catted DP, HKS Twin Power Ignition System, RAYS Gram Lights 57 Maximum Time Attack, CPE TIP, Denso 2Step Colder Spark Plugs, COBB Shifter Weight, SPC Ball Joints, VTCS, BS, & EGR Delete, VentPod w/VEI Boost Guage, Saikou Michi CC, Labonte ISG-S3 (not installed), GT2871r, DNP manifold, Tial 44mm EWG, Cobb AP, TT Liquid to Air Intercooler, DMH 3" exhaust cutout.
 Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

EGR replaces some of the oxygen content in your intake charge with already "burnt" gas. This means you get less burn, less power, less chance to detonate.

I am not talking about phantom knock.

I am talking about cruising for 30 minutes. Then stomping on it. The first time I do this I get a big stumble and knock. If I continue going WOT, it's fine. If I cruise again for 30 minutes, I can make it happen again that first time I go WOT.

Essentially, after a cruise on the hwy, if I go WOT, I get very high KR, car stumble, puff of smoke. This only happens after the car has been cruising for a while. This is knock at the onset of WOT, not "phantom" or low load knock.

I think lost of people get this and that's why we see speeds blow on the hwy.

I have a feeling the EGR gases may be related as during cruise EGR is running.
 Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I know, I don't get that. As soon as I go WOT I have 0 KR. Whether that has something to do with my EGR delete, I can't tell you, I don't remember.
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

EGR replaces some of the oxygen content in your intake charge with already "burnt" gas. This means you get less burn, less power, less chance to detonate.

I am not talking about phantom knock.

I am talking about cruising for 30 minutes. Then stomping on it. The first time I do this I get a big stumble and knock. If I continue going WOT, it's fine. If I cruise again for 30 minutes, I can make it happen again that first time I go WOT.

Essentially, after a cruise on the hwy, if I go WOT, I get very high KR, car stumble, puff of smoke. This only happens after the car has been cruising for a while. This is knock at the onset of WOT, not "phantom" or low load knock.

I think lost of people get this and that's why we see speeds blow on the hwy.

I have a feeling the EGR gases may be related as during cruise EGR is running.
if i have been cruising for a while i never go WOT on the hwy. but when i get off i almost always get about 2.5-3 after pulling outta the first stop/light. it repeats maby once or twice then its fine.
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by superskaterxes View Post
if i have been cruising for a while i never go WOT on the hwy. but when i get off i almost always get about 2.5-3 after pulling outta the first stop/light. it repeats maby once or twice then its fine.
Seems like a similar issue. Did removing EGT make any difference?
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
Must Have Teh 10's!

Not Ranked  0 score     

tbh i did EGR delete like 2 years ago haha. from as long as i could remember its been like this. someone needs to do a before after like now and see if they can measure any diff over a few weeks.

my EGT gauge is a huge indicator of engine temp. i know what temps correspond to what on the hwy and streets and i can usually gauge the KR by that.
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

tbh i did EGR delete like 2 years ago haha. from as long as i could remember its been like this. someone needs to do a before after like now and see if they can measure any diff over a few weeks.

my EGT gauge is a huge indicator of engine temp. i know what temps correspond to what on the hwy and streets and i can usually gauge the KR by that.
So you're noticing higher KR when EGTs are high?

EGTs are a good indication of combustion temperature ...
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #23
WOT @1k RPM!

NRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the worldNRSpeed is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is the EGR controlled via vac lines or electronic. If its electronic and we can find the states of the EGR line it wouldnt be very hard to make an on/off switch and then this kind of testing would be easy.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f8/setting-avatar-new-users-other-noobs-43712/
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f8/uploading-adding-images-your-post-43704/
No BB URL code = sux
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by NRSpeed View Post
Is the EGR controlled via vac lines or electronic. If its electronic and we can find the states of the EGR line it wouldnt be very hard to make an on/off switch and then this kind of testing would be easy.
PWM valve.
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #25

JumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 23 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lex you have a catch can too right?
JumpingJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JumpingJackson View Post
Lex you have a catch can too right?
Sure do.
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #27

rossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the worldrossisboss07 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

subbing for knowledge...
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #28

JumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

What would you guess is causing this? John @ PTP says on his PCV relocate kit beta testers it has completely eliminated this phenomena.
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
WOT @1k RPM!

Not Ranked  0 score     

PWM valve.
Ok, so no signal should be 0% EGR. Only issue would be impedance the ECU would see (and probably throw a code if you just unplug the EGR). Im guessing finding the resistance of the EGR and fooling the ECU should work like a block of plate for testing.

What would you guess is causing this? John @ PTP says on his PCV relocate kit beta testers it has completely eliminated this phenomena.
Now Im just guessing at this, but the reason I brought up the first mile knock is its possible its related to EGR (in combination with other MPG+ functions). For example running slightly rich due to not up to 100% temp and thus getting unburnt gas in the exhaust which is going back into the intake via EGR.

I dont know, I mean there could be a million reasons but thats what I was thinking when I made the first post but I failed to clearly state what I was getting at.

No BB URL code = sux
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #30
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking into this. Is Jon talking about the WOT KR on the hwy or is he talking about part throttle KR while cruising? Part throttle KR is just due to the ECU calibration and not a worry.
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

WOT KR after cruising
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #32
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

WOT KR after cruising
What is his reason for his kit solving the issue? That's the key.
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Basically the design/location of the plastic cover on the crank case allowing crap to pool during cruising conditions.
 Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #34
Must Have Teh 10's!

Not Ranked  0 score     

i have my own home brew PVC relocate thats identical to johns and i still get it.

and lex i can def correlate my EGT's to knock. but isent this like completely normal? i mean higher combustion temps would be a dead giveaway for some knock.
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
 Old 04-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #35
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

JJ, While there is some merit to what Jon has done, I am not convinced this "cures" the issue. People with catch cans and EGR delete should have similar results to this with very little pooling in the IM.

Super, in terms of higher combustion temps leading to detonation - yes - higher temps would promote hot spots, detonation etc. It is normal for EGTs to be higher during highway cruise - even for NA port injected cars.

I am trying to decide if the motor design and injection/ignition strategies promote these hot spots to form during cruise that then always lead to detonation when cylinder pressure increases. I am curious what would happen if we sprayed meth (at cruise) for a few seconds before going WOT - if that would be enough to cool things down to prevent this condition.

As for the EGR valve - I will take a look at the factory manual this weekend and verify if this can be done with a simple unplug and load resistor so the ECU doesn't complain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
NRSpeed (04-01-2010)
 Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #36
Must Have Teh 10's!

Not Ranked  0 score     

JJ, While there is some merit to what Jon has done, I am not convinced this "cures" the issue. People with catch cans and EGR delete should have similar results to this with very little pooling in the IM.

Super, in terms of higher combustion temps leading to detonation - yes - higher temps would promote hot spots, detonation etc. It is normal for EGTs to be higher during highway cruise - even for NA port injected cars.

I am trying to decide if the motor design and injection/ignition strategies promote these hot spots to form during cruise that then always lead to detonation when cylinder pressure increases. I am curious what would happen if we sprayed meth (at cruise) for a few seconds before going WOT - if that would be enough to cool things down to prevent this condition.

As for the EGR valve - I will take a look at the factory manual this weekend and verify if this can be done with a simple unplug and load resistor so the ECU doesn't complain.

SS installer proved that theres like 4 diff conditions under which the EGR works and it would be near impossible to mimic it to get the cel to clear.
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
 Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #37
Lex
Engineered Tuning

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

SS installer proved that theres like 4 diff conditions under which the EGR works and it would be near impossible to mimic it to get the cel to clear.
There are several faults. One is for poor flow and one is for no connection to the valve. If you just use a resistor on the plug and leave the valve in there, you'd just get the poor flow code which everyone with a delete gets anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
NRSpeed (04-01-2010)
 Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #38

H3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the worldH3llfir3 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

your guy's cars are wierd.

I went to tampa last weekend (1 hr 45min drive). I had zero knock from the time the car got on the highway to the time it merged off. i didnt even knock after the first light. I rarely get .5-.7 knock at PT daily driving on the street and thats about it. Never any KR at WOT either.

NATOR of Florida
H3llfir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #39
Driver

Fobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,622 Times in 931 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have just done this last night...car threw a CEL just idling on the hoist, but the ECU wasn't resetted...

I can attest, that you will NOT be able to tell difference, no matter how "accurate" your butt dyno is...and that wasn't what I was looking for either...

Funny thing is, I had to unmarry the AP after a short romp cuz I have to leave at the dealer's today for 72K service, coolant flush and fill (this is actually a very good deal since being on the local board gives me 15% discount...also, our cars use that FL-22 coolant that IS NOT like the regular stuff found in Walmart...so for $90 - 15%, why not? esp since they do it proper with a flsuh machine)

So after I unmarry the AP, the CEL went away, but I expect it to come back eventually, as per aaron's experience.

I feel better with the PTP EGR plug in tho...I've had a OCC for the longest time and I hardly get much oil in it anymore esp with the replaced turbo now. Last drain, it was mostly water, likely from the winter.

I never ever cruise in constant rpm for more than...5 min, at most...I'm either walking traffic or passing..."officier, I don't mean to drive like a dick, but my car might blow if I drive like a sane person..." So I can't say I have SPECIFICALLY observed the KR after cruising...
DONE . Cobb AP 22-psi Self-Tuned . ATP GT3071 . CP-e 3.25" MAF+4" inlet . Denso ITV-24 . CP-e HPFP . CP-e FMIC . Turbosmart Ultimate BPV . 50/50 Meth w/ M5 nozzle . PTP IM Spacer+EGR delete . GrimmSpeed EBCS 3-port . SteedSpeed Mani . CP-e TBE . Greddy OCC w/ 2nd PCV valve . F2 BSD + oil-pan baffle . Hawk HP+ pads . Goodridge SS brake lines w/ Ford Super Dot 4 . Cobb Springs+FSB . Tri-Point RSB+Endlinks . Koni Yellows . KMAC Camber Plates . 60mm Boost Gauge . TWM Complete Shifter w/ JBR SSP+weight . CP-e RMM+PTP trans+kicker mount . Sparco Harness Bar w/ MOMO 4-pt harness . Rays/Volks 57F 18x8.5" +45mm 235/40/18 Hankook V12 . BBS RK 17x8" +45mm 235/45/17 RA1/R6 . OEM Snowflakes w/ 215/50/17 Nitto NT-SN1 . 3rd in CSCS 2009 Time Attack Championship - Super Street FWD . 360whp/390wtrq . SOON . 3-bar MAP sensor .
MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is ALWAYS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down."
-- Mario Andretti --
Fobio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:
superskaterxes (04-01-2010)
 Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #40

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

here is my take on KR after cruising then WOT. So you are cruising and the car is doing its best to achieve great MPG's for you. Well when you go WOT its still using that ignition table for best MPG's so you'll see KR at first until it realizes hey this isn't the ignition table i should be using. something like that.
bova is offline   Reply With Quote