register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thrisnospork

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

brucesushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Engine ticking noise when warm. Vvt solenoide?

https://youtu.be/SHIdRRQMrmE

So i made this quick video to show you guys what i mean, the car has 40k miles on it, and at the 10sec mark you can hear a second tick over the regular tick.
Could this caused by the vvt solenoid? If so what is the price of this fix. If it is the solenoid ofcourse. Maybe other tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
brucesushi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

thrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm no expert but that's what my car sounds like too. Our injectors and high pressure fuel pump are both noisy. If you're concerned about the VVT assembly you can check your chain after warming up the car by removing your oil cap and sticking your finger down the hole (giggity). Feel for the timing chain, if there is any slack it's likely your VVT actuator is failing. At that point you may want to remove the valve cover and check for scoring right where the chain is. If there are groves get that shit repaired asap. Also if cylinder 1 (I believe, not sure though just search for it) is at TDC then the chain will seem tight even if it is loose so probably check it a couple times to be sure.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
brucesushi likes this.
thrisnospork is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thrisnospork View Post
I'm no expert but that's what my car sounds like too. Our injectors and high pressure fuel pump are both noisy. If you're concerned about the VVT assembly you can check your chain after warming up the car by removing your oil cap and sticking your finger down the hole (giggity). Feel for the timing chain, if there is any slack it's likely your VVT actuator is failing. At that point you may want to remove the valve cover and check for scoring right where the chain is. If there are groves get that shit repaired asap. Also if cylinder 1 (I believe, not sure though just search for it) is at TDC then the chain will seem tight even if it is loose so probably check it a couple times to be sure.

Thanks for your answer, ill try it out,
So if this is the case if the vvt actuator is done for, is it only replacing the actuator or you advice doing the whole chain

Old 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

thrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

You'll want to replace the chain as well as the friction washers and probably some other small parts I'm not thinking of. If your ride has 40k on it it should all be covered by mazda under a TSB if your car falls within the right range of years so check with your local dealer. Mine was going to charge me for diagnostics and a new valve cover gasket but since my vvt actuator failed their test it was all covered.

thrisnospork is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thrisnospork View Post
You'll want to replace the chain as well as the friction washers and probably some other small parts I'm not thinking of. If your ride has 40k on it it should all be covered by mazda under a TSB if your car falls within the right range of years so check with your local dealer. Mine was going to charge me for diagnostics and a new valve cover gasket but since my vvt actuator failed their test it was all covered.

I dont think i have that warranty, because my speed is imported from the usa and i live in the netherlands. But im gonna give mazda a call next week to check if the car is still covered. I hope so!

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

pixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Engine ticking noise when warm. Vvt solenoide?

Mine just started doing the same bullshit at 117k. FML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 03-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

djern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,011 Times in 452 Posts
Groans: 22
Not Ranked  0 score     

Normal, drive your car.... these cars make a whole bunch of odd little ticks and whines, only time your VVT will truly make a noise is on cold startup

06 VRM Speed 6 W/Navi
05 Mazda Family Truckster
FREEKTUNED\\Cobb AP\\Autotech Internals\\Eibach Pro Springs\\Sure SRI+TIP\\Street Unit TP\\CPE RMM\AWR 88 Duro TMM\\Forge V1\\JBR Shortcut\\JBR SSB\\CPE & Sure Rear Diff Mounts\\Unicorn Blood (Rotella T6)

twitter.com/djern
instagram.com/djern
facebook.com/djern
djern is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #8

wastedrainbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get a vvt kit cost about 330 UK pounds and any good garage should be able to fit properly... The kit contains everything that needs replacing including actuator.. Chain...sprocket etc had mine done a few months back... Mine was making same noise and when I removed oil cap after a run the chain was loose as fooook with about an inch off movement up n down... Now it's not making any noise and after a run is still tight with no ticking noise.... Get it done or it'll be zoom zoom boom

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
wastedrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote