register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #1

pbblaster has a spectacular aura aboutpbblaster has a spectacular aura aboutpbblaster has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Head Porting Potential

Here are some pics of stock MS3 head ports. I a not a head porting guru by any means but the ports look promising for flow improvement. Notice the 2 different size intake ports. Even though the intake valves are the same size the ports are significantly different. I can only assume they do this to create a swirling effect (in the combustion chamber) from the different port velocities. The smaller intake port has a alot of restriction just under the valve area. The exhaust ports look much smoother but there is still room for improvement. The thing that puzzles me is why they decide to keep the intake ports seperate all the way back inside the intake manifold. Doe anyone have insight on this? Does anyone have good pics of the intake manifold ports?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4468.JPG (3.77 MB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4469.JPG (3.07 MB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4473.JPG (3.24 MB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4479.JPG (2.97 MB, 56 views)

Last edited by pbblaster; 09-22-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: over size limit
pbblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,981 Times in 8,184 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

The head has a lot of meat to work with. I personally would go with oversized ferrera valves and a 3 angle on the head with bronze valve guides. It would be nice if there was a larger market to develop cams which would take advantage of the flow. I wouldnt say you would gain a huge a amount of power doing the porting alone, but it will def show gains. I would also port patch the intake as well.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #3

kraz3y has a spectacular aura aboutkraz3y has a spectacular aura aboutkraz3y has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

ahh brings me back memories of my mustang gained like x2 hp with ported heads intakes and cam
kraz3y is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #4

jweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant futurejweller has a brilliant future
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thats an interesting head. I've never seen a head with a notch in between the 2 exhaust valves. not sure what the purpose of that is. Lots of sharp edges in there as well, which a lot of people speculate is where pre-ignition starts. Most of them are going to be directly in the injector spray, so maybe they get cooled enough by the incoming fuel to not present an issue. Looks like the factory has already done some work to deshroud the spark plug. Id be curious to see the spray pattern of the injector and exactly how it's timed in relation to the intake lobes of the cam. Not sure how much room there is in there for oversized intake valves.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on what DI heads like vs traditional heads.

It looks like the injector sits in the water jacket. I know there was a thread talking about cooling the fuel as a possible source of power. looks like any thoughts of that are probably moot. Not sure how much heat transfer there is though, so maybe not. Just something to think about.

If you took that divider out between the intake ports, you'd have a huge port and lower velocity. I guess thats a trade off with the stock turbo, but if you're doing major headwork, you aren't running the factory snail. Hard to say. Id guess some heads are going to have to be ruined in the name of science to find the sweet spot.
jweller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Banned

darkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I remember someone saying that Cosworth actually lost power doing a head porting job. But I don't how that statement would be true.
darkstarmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darkstarmotorsports For This Useful Post:
phailerider (10-27-2008)
 Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 AM   #6

ms3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond reputems3guy22 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've already look into this and have talked to a couple people who have look into this. Their are minimul gains to be had from porting the head. for what it cost its not worth it.
phailerider (10-27-2008)
 Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,013 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

for those non-n00bs is this a pretty clean head for the miles on it? or does it show alot of our PCV problems?

P.S. what ARE the miles on it and did u have a CC?
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #8

pbblaster has a spectacular aura aboutpbblaster has a spectacular aura aboutpbblaster has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It has 5000 miles. I did clean it up before the pictures were taken. The intake valves had alot of buildup for only 5K. The amount of buildup I saw looked similar to non DI engines with over 40K. Please define CC.
 Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,013 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

catch can
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I picked this head up from ebay. I dont know what he was running.
 Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Banned

ptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,743 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 75 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3guy22 View Post
I've already look into this and have talked to a couple people who have look into this. Their are minimul gains to be had from porting the head. for what it cost its not worth it.
What about larger vavles and raduis cut the seats? I guess if your going to do a head you might as well do it properly???

I have not posted nor will I till I have flow and numbers to show you guys. I don't think I would be doing an upgrad to just port and polish. Makes me wonder what would happen if you were to take the quench and open it up a bit, something like a true hemi chamber? Just more for you to think about.
ptperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptperformance For This Useful Post:
spek1098 (11-25-2008)
 Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #12

ATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the worldATE BALLER is the leader of the world
Thanked 59,653 Times in 1,171 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Corpus Speed6 has done ALOT of research into this. He's building a head to acomodate his cams, and has ALOT of info. Intake valves are as large as can fit, and are made of SS. Exhaust valves can only go 1mm larger, and are the weakest part of the valve train. They can only handle a little over 20psi, where-as the intake valves are pretty much good to go. He's adjusting the lift a tad, reusing the intake valves, changing the exhaust valves, and changing all the springs and stems IIRC. Oh, and the PNP. I think he's just a week or so away from having it ready to install.
 Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,557 Times in 2,804 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ATE BALLER View Post
Corpus Speed6 has done ALOT of research into this. He's building a head to acomodate his cams, and has ALOT of info. Intake valves are as large as can fit, and are made of SS. Exhaust valves can only go 1mm larger, and are the weakest part of the valve train. They can only handle a little over 20psi, where-as the intake valves are pretty much good to go. He's adjusting the lift a tad, reusing the intake valves, changing the exhaust valves, and changing all the springs and stems IIRC. Oh, and the PNP. I think he's just a week or so away from having it ready to install.
I am keeping the oem intake valves, although I have in my possession 2 aftermarket intake valves, and the part numbers for both. The only difference is that the after market ones are back cut differently and the stems are under cut so they should flow slightly better, I just dont think the extra flow is worth ~$400. There is no weight savings.

I am also keeping the factory springs, locks, and retainers, they are good to 8500rpm+ and *should* be able to handle the increased lift I am going to be running. I will not know they actual answer to that question until I have it assembled and I can get a coil bind number.

I am in the process of replacing the factory 6mm exhaust guides with 5.5mm guides since the new valves have 5.5mm stems. Once this is done and I have confirmed that the guides and new valves fit and work, then I can purchase a full set and start the port, bowl, and seat work since the new guides will not be aligned exactly the same as the factory ones.

Once all that is done and it is assembled I can check the installed height of the top of the stem and order lifter buckets, which might end up being custom, but hopefully oem.

Once I get those in I can do the final assembley and final measurements and then finally install it.

I might be done by the end of january. Maybe.

The cams are finished and in my hands just waiting for all this to be finished. I have had them for about two months now.
06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Banned

ptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ATE BALLER View Post
Any work done to the quench area? Maybe some work in getting those sharp edges cut down to keep the hot spots at bay?
 Old 11-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06Speed6 View Post
I am keeping the oem intake valves, although I have in my possession 2 aftermarket intake valves, and the part numbers for both. The only difference is that the after market ones are back cut differently and the stems are under cut so they should flow slightly better, I just dont think the extra flow is worth ~$400. There is no weight savings.

I am also keeping the factory springs, locks, and retainers, they are good to 8500rpm+ and *should* be able to handle the increased lift I am going to be running. I will not know they actual answer to that question until I have it assembled and I can get a coil bind number.

I am in the process of replacing the factory 6mm exhaust guides with 5.5mm guides since the new valves have 5.5mm stems. Once this is done and I have confirmed that the guides and new valves fit and work, then I can purchase a full set and start the port, bowl, and seat work since the new guides will not be aligned exactly the same as the factory ones.

Once all that is done and it is assembled I can check the installed height of the top of the stem and order lifter buckets, which might end up being custom, but hopefully oem.

Once I get those in I can do the final assembley and final measurements and then finally install it.

I might be done by the end of january. Maybe.

The cams are finished and in my hands just waiting for all this to be finished. I have had them for about two months now.
, lucky you on the cams.