register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

jaco1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Help deciding on ms3/ si, etc

I am in seriously looking for a new or late model fast, sub25K, reliable, good handling car!!
Strictly for hard DD....
The ms3 is a strong contender

I am concerned about economic situation- I like to drive hard but not insanely so- no redlines or hard starts from 0.

If i stay stock... how bullet proof is the drive train?

I tried an si, and it was so slow. But a stock turbo may not last nearly as long as the si.

I have even considered non turbo v6's ( hard to find a lite curb weight= quick )
and even the 300c chrysler!!! So many cars get just so so marks with reliability.
v6 camry is fairly quick but so unsports carlike.

The perfect car is really tough to find

What are your thoughts on reliable, tough, fast cars???
jaco1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Banned

Crossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I hope you're kidding about the 300C...that thing is like trying to drive a boat around. That was one of the worst rentals i've ever had. (Well besides the pontiac G6).

Have you thought about getting a used car? If you're worried about reliability why not pick up a used car with a chevy small block in it? You can get an LS1 GTO for under 15k now, and a LS2 GTO for around 18k (with 18k miles).
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I hope you're kidding about the 300C...that thing is like trying to drive a boat around. That was one of the worst rentals i've ever had. (Well besides the pontiac G6).

Have you thought about getting a used car? If you're worried about reliability why not pick up a used car with a chevy small block in it? You can get an LS1 GTO for under 15k now, and a LS2 GTO for around 18k (with 18k miles).

I am all over the map- I realize a 300c seems stupid, even as i typed this ..lol

I love acceleration- I need longevity without rebuilding engines or dealing with mechanics or dealerships mechanics

That is why i mentioned non turbo v6 or v8's.

I am hiding the fact that i drive an sti !!
Time for another car- sti was great while it lasted but hassles with break downs are not in my plans!

Bottom line is this... a lot of us drive hard. If warranty truly covers the drive train... i guess that is the key- the WARRANTY.

Sorry, i am struggling with all of this. i appreciate any and all suggestions.

Why V8 GTO?
 Old 02-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,677 Times in 711 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have 5 magazines where the speed3 comes in first place in competitions with its peers.
 Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #5

pheare will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you don't like to take things to redline, the ms3 is the car for you. friggin' thing runs out of breath by 6000rpm tops. lol.

On a similar note, you need to wring the si out to get the little bit of performance it offers. Maybe fun once in awhile, but, imo, not cool when you are simply trying to get ahead of that tdi in the lane next to you.

I love my ms3. Don't think anyone can say with any surety how long the engine will last. I suspect pretty much forever if you don't mod and drive nice.
pheare is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #6

mike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the worldmike8748 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You could wait for the release of the Genesis Coupe

07'MazdaSpeed3 Stage2+SF 93 FMIC Custom Map
Current Mods: COBB AP, COBB SRI, COBB Inlet, COBB Cold Air Box, COBB Shift Weight, COBB STS, COBB PCV Catch Can, COBB Rear Sway Bar, M3M FMIC, TWM Shifter Bushings, FORGE BPV, Nator Rear MM, TurboXS DP, TurboXS RP, TB BYPASS MOD, MSD Dash Hawk, Denso 2-Step Colder plugs, Eibach Springs, BSD, KMD ver2 internals, EGR delete, PTP intake cooler kit, CNT Racing CBE, PG Exhaust Manifold
mike8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #7

kingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the world
Thanked 15,318 Times in 601 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 48 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get the SI.

Its got V-Tech, yo.
mdogg (02-19-2009)
 Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #8

stevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Had an 08 Si, was in the shop for 25 days out of the 60 I owned it. Second gear replaced twice, third once, and finally a new tranny. Was a POS.
stevessvt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by pheare View Post
If you don't like to take things to redline, the ms3 is the car for you. friggin' thing runs out of breath by 6000rpm tops. lol.

On a similar note, you need to wring the si out to get the little bit of performance it offers. Maybe fun once in awhile, but, imo, not cool when you are simply trying to get ahead of that tdi in the lane next to you.

I love my ms3. Don't think anyone can say with any surety how long the engine will last. I suspect pretty much forever if you don't mod and drive nice.
Well that is the catch- "drive nice"
Why own a car like this to drive 65mph??

I drive between 55- 95 mostly around 75. To pass a pack of cars, I go 90, get it over with!

I do not drive exactly "nice" lol
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jaco1234 View Post
Well that is the catch- "drive nice"
Why own a car like this to drive 65mph??

I drive between 55- 95 mostly around 75. To pass a pack of cars, I go 90, get it over with!

I do not drive exactly "nice" lol
To me it is not about speeding (though I admit I do...), you can speed in virtually any shitbox of a car. To me it is more about how fast can you get up to speed limit. The ms3 gets you up to the limit fast and without trying. And really fast if you do try.

The SI gets you up to the speed limit sort of quick, but you have to drive the piss out of it to do so.

I laugh ever so softly every time I see one try to go fast. It is one thing if you are in a race or want to 'get on it' every now and then, but to HAVE to red line just to get ahead of the minivan next to you is not my thing.
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

To me it is not about speeding (though I admit I do...), you can speed in virtually any shitbox of a car. To me it is more about how fast can you get up to speed limit. The ms3 gets you up to the limit fast and without trying. And really fast if you do try.

The SI gets you up to the speed limit sort of quick, but you have to drive the piss out of it to do so.

I laugh ever so softly every time I see one try to go fast. It is one thing if you are in a race or want to 'get on it' every now and then, but to HAVE to red line just to get ahead of the minivan next to you is not my thing.
I agree 100%
but the other side of it is
Which drivetrain is most comfortable accelerating and decelerating for 22K a year??
the v6, the motorcycle-like honda, or the turbo mzSpeed3? V8???
That's the real question.

A number of cars can do what i want for a while
but for how long before break down?
I want a car that can cruise at 85mph, if I wish to. I never drag race, but I put a car through its paces in my own way
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Banned

ms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,218 Times in 760 Posts
Groans: 974
Groaned at 738 Times in 373 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like the MS3 would be the perfect ride for you. The accleration is effortless and as long as you don't MOD the shit out of it, it should last a very long time. Power train warratny is 5yr/ 60k miles btw. It's a really nice DD and you could even take it to the track and have a blast with it. I have no regrets after 18months and 25k miles later and look forward to driving it everyday.
ms3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

nice warranty- I missed that, thanks
do you recommend extra $ on added warranty?
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I think they would all be 'comfortable' accelerating (I mean, that is what cars do) - the way they feel when you accelerate is certainly different, but that is a user preference thing, I would think.

They will all cruise at 85, some might be buzzier than others at that speed, but they will all do it comfortably. Regards to how long before they break down - who really knows? You could buy the most reliable model of car on the planet, only to get a lemon and have nothing but troubles. I guess looking at consumer reports or the such can give you a rough idea of a cars reliability.

I haven't had any issues with my ms3. Have had it for 1 year and 15,000kms.
 Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #15

ChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the worldChrisK is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,390 Times in 143 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You question is going to have a lot of different answers. There is no real way to answer it.

You have 1 of every car listed that doesn't make it 2k miles and 1 that will make it 200k miles.

I say out of the cars you have listed the MS3 is the WAAAAY better choice in all categories.

Or you can wait for the genesis coupe, but then again, no one knows how long it will last either.

It's like asking, how long are you going to live? Can anyone answer that? NO.

ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #16

Bishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well if you don't get the ms3, what about looking into a se-r spec-v. They are definitely not as quick, but alot better for dd than an si, you got all the tq down low so you dont have to rev the crap out of it to get your power. Not that many mods out for it compared to an ms3, but with an intake/header/cat back, they should be around if not more than 200whp, and about the same with tq. definitely not bad for n/a
Bishounen0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Banned

Crossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

GTO mainly cause its built like a tank (kinda of heavy so need to test drive), but it uses either an LS1 or LS2, which are pretty much ridiculously reliable engines. The amount of parts for those things is absolutely ludicrous....There is a larger aftermarket for one section of that engine, then exists for the whole of the mazda3/6 speed3/6 community.

But I also figure if you're tired of the sti, you'd want something completely different. The GTO is nothing like an sti or an ms3. It's a 3800 lb 400 ft/lb 400 hp v8 monster, that with some decent suspension bits, is actually quite fun to drive around. And if you ever felt the need for more power...well you can get it in droves and droves and droves. Cam and headers on that thing is nearly another 100 hp.

I'm not so much a fan of the new genesis coupe, just due to it's weight. It's kinda of a porker, and if you're going to be dealing with a porker, might as well just get something with a big honkin v8!

Besides, you're going to have to spend around 3-4k just to get the genesis to a decent hp output. (Turbo/ECU swap)
 Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
GTO mainly cause its built like a tank (kinda of heavy so need to test drive), but it uses either an LS1 or LS2, which are pretty much ridiculously reliable engines. The amount of parts for those things is absolutely ludicrous....There is a larger aftermarket for one section of that engine, then exists for the whole of the mazda3/6 speed3/6 community.

But I also figure if you're tired of the sti, you'd want something completely different. The GTO is nothing like an sti or an ms3. It's a 3800 lb 400 ft/lb 400 hp v8 monster, that with some decent suspension bits, is actually quite fun to drive around. And if you ever felt the need for more power...well you can get it in droves and droves and droves. Cam and headers on that thing is nearly another 100 hp.

I'm not so much a fan of the new genesis coupe, just due to it's weight. It's kinda of a porker, and if you're going to be dealing with a porker, might as well just get something with a big honkin v8!

Besides, you're going to have to spend around 3-4k just to get the genesis to a decent hp output. (Turbo/ECU swap)

I have neither money nor interest in the "porker" Genesis.

I would rather
keep the sti, which I love, or
switch to the ms3, or
even consider a v6 with a lighter curb weight ( SPEED !!!! ), or
possibly the extreme of a v8- GTO, or 300c

the sti involves problems that I'd rather not bring up- but I do like it !

I have been going to the EDMUNDS site
I check cars for reliability. It is frustrating bc almost ALL cars get so so marks from JD Powers in the one area that I hold as critical- THE POWER TRAIN.
I am not concerned with interior , paint job etc, the power train is the thing, for me.
I checked the na mazda 3 and it received a 2 out of 5- maddening.
I have to wonder why this low a rating. But most cars get this rating.

Even GTO got low marks on powertrain.

Any ideas why?

Thanks
 Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bishounen0205 View Post
Well if you don't get the ms3, what about looking into a se-r spec-v. They are definitely not as quick, but alot better for dd than an si, you got all the tq down low so you dont have to rev the crap out of it to get your power. Not that many mods out for it compared to an ms3, but with an intake/header/cat back, they should be around if not more than 200whp, and about the same with tq. definitely not bad for n/a
Funny you would bring up the spec - v- 175 hp 180 tq I believe.
I bought new, the 2002 or 2003 spec v
I put 103,000 miles on it, and sold it.
It blew a head gasket at 50K miles.
Other than that , it was cool.
I used to SEE Spec V's all the time. A few years ago, they suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth. Any idea why??

Question: is there any proven example of a car that is driven fairly hard ( not abused, ok lol ) that goes to at least 100,000 miles??
I guess besides the weird blown head gasket, I was pretty lucky w the Spec V- they are gone- the 2002 year for sure.
 Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

I used to SEE Spec V's all the time. A few years ago, they suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth. Any idea why??
They got fookin' ugly.

Question: is there any proven example of a car that is driven fairly hard ( not abused, ok lol ) that goes to at least 100,000 miles??
I guess besides the weird blown head gasket, I was pretty lucky w the Spec V- they are gone- the 2002 year for sure.
The old neon srt4 had an engine built like a tank. Could handle 400+ wheel horsepower on stock internals. As I'm sure you know, Mopar released staged upgrades for these.

I believe the new caliber srt4 is very similar in terms of engine internals. Though I believe there is only one stage kit for it right now.

If, you are truly not concerned about interior quality, etc and only want a good drive train, I bet the caliber srt4 is the vehicle for you.
 Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I think they would all be 'comfortable' accelerating (I mean, that is what cars do) - the way they feel when you accelerate is certainly different, but that is a user preference thing, I would think.

They will all cruise at 85, some might be buzzier than others at that speed, but they will all do it comfortably. Regards to how long before they break down - who really knows? You could buy the most reliable model of car on the planet, only to get a lemon and have nothing but troubles. I guess looking at consumer reports or the such can give you a rough idea of a cars reliability.

I haven't had any issues with my ms3. Have had it for 1 year and 15,000kms.
What I meant by "comfortable", was not clearly stated.
I am not sure what causes power train break downs... maybe it is inevitable?
Is there significantly more strain on a drive train with my constantly changing speeds between 65- 90, and another person using cruise at 75?

What underlies this whole thread is this
Cars are getting more expensive
This means longer and longer payment financing ( used to be 3years, then 4, then 5 and 6 )
this means more years driving a car before paid off
more years= more miles.

my sti just blew a water pump - a sub $200 part that could wreck an engine- luckily it didn't.

Back to point
If one person puts 100,000 miles on car at a steady 2800 rpms
and I drive 100,000 ( hopefully ) alternating between 3000- 5000 rpms, logic suggests I am much harder on drive train

So I used the term "comfortable" , to try to unearth which engines can more easily handling that kind of work load.
That is why I even considered a V8.
But a v8 may or may not have better ability to drive an "endurance" test ( 100K )
than a 4
Turboed 4, is another thing. Don't turbo's, even left to factory spec, wear an engine more?

Thanks for listening.
 Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

They got fookin' ugly.

The old neon srt4 had an engine built like a tank. Could handle 400+ wheel horsepower on stock internals. As I'm sure you know, Mopar released staged upgrades for these.

I believe the new caliber srt4 is very similar in terms of engine internals. Though I believe there is only one stage kit for it right now.

If, you are truly not concerned about interior quality, etc and only want a good drive train, I bet the caliber srt4 is the vehicle for you.
caliber srt4, hmmm. I barely noticed that car.
It's a dodge right?
Yes, a drive train that can handle my style of non abusive but spirited ( is there a better way to describe it than spirited??? lol ) driving , for the length of my freaking car payments!!!!
Anyone else care to comment on caliber srt4 vs ms3??
 Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

mosey on over to caliberforums.com On the second page of the Calbier SRT-4 Disscusion forum there is a long thread comparing the csrt4 to the ms3.

Of course it is a little biased, but I suspect the comments regarding the engines are pretty bang on.

I'd rather have my ms3 for a number of reasons, but I admit, I am jealous of the csrt4 engine.
 Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

mosey on over to caliberforums.com On the second page of the Calbier SRT-4 Disscusion forum there is a long thread comparing the csrt4 to the ms3.

Of course it is a little biased, but I suspect the comments regarding the engines are pretty bang on.

I'd rather have my ms3 for a number of reasons, but I admit, I am jealous of the csrt4 engine.
I am impressed with your candor.

I read a review of dodge srt calibre
It said ms3 has nothing to worry about.

What is it about the 2.4 srt engine that you "envy"?
Thanks again for your ( and everyone here- this is an excellent forum, the best in my experience ) candor.
 Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm certainly no expert on the engine, but it is essentially bullet proof. Has forged internals and a cast iron block.

As I said before, then engine is known to handle 400+ (maybe the number is even 500) horsepower on stock internals.

The very fact that dodge makes staged kits for this engine, I think speaks volumes. Plus, I don't think they have the fueling issues we have.

Review wise the ms3 always wins. Probably should. However, the ms3 wins for reasons different than what you are looking for (or it at least doesn't consider all the reasons). It wins cause out of the box it is a bit faster (it is really a wash), handles better, has better fit and finish and isn't a minivan in disguise, lol.

If you are putting drive line durability at the top of your list, the reviews aren't going to cover that.

Really, this whole thing is probably a wash. If you aren't planning to mod (or only light mods), I suspect any car is going to last a long time. If you want to go mod heavy, I'm just suggesting you will have an easier time with the csrt4.

The one major thing the ms3 has hardware wise that the csrt4 is missing in a limited slip diff.

Last edited by pheare; 02-20-2009 at 09:33 AM.
 Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #26

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,807 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah my 96 ls integra. I swear I just can't kill it. I even drove the thing without oil for a mile (there was a huge chunk of sidewalk in the road, long story short huge gaping hole in my pan) It has 150k on it and I really don't give a crap about it. It looks like a shitbox and I drive it like so. It's not fast but it's reliable. And i don't drive it hard, i abuse it, dumping the clutch at redline right after i pulled the e-brake to turn 180 degrees is pure abuse. And it's seen worse days.
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
Banned

ms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,218 Times in 760 Posts
Groans: 974
Groaned at 738 Times in 373 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 86azms3 View Post
Yeah my 96 ls integra. I swear I just can't kill it. I even drove the thing without oil for a mile (there was a huge chunk of sidewalk in the road, long story short huge gaping hole in my pan) It has 150k on it and I really don't give a crap about it. It looks like a shitbox and I drive it like so. It's not fast but it's reliable. And i don't drive it hard, i abuse it, dumping the clutch at redline right after i pulled the e-brake to turn 180 degrees is pure abuse. And it's seen worse days.
You sir are an animal!
ms3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #28

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,807 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3077 View Post
You sir are an animal!
Yes I know. But it's really nice to have a piece of crap that you can just drive it however you want with total disregard for the car's well being.
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #29

badams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Groaned at 126 Times in 71 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

For what you want, the MS3 is probably gonna be your best bet. Add an SRI, Corksport inserts, shift bushings & maybe some springs. You would still be under 25k even with a GT. The drive train is probably the strongest part of this car.
The Following User Says Thank You to badams118 For This Useful Post:
jaco1234 (02-20-2009)
 Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I did not see the dedicated "Thanks" button/tab/thing

Thanks to ALL

This place is really friendly, non judgmental, and informative. If the vibe of this forum is any gauge, i ought to buy the ms3 tomorrow!

How cheaply can I score a new one?

I assume i want a bare bones model.

THANKS to everyone here
 Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #31

badams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the worldbadams118 is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Groaned at 126 Times in 71 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

In this economy you shouldn't pay over invoice, IMO. The Sport model is a good value. Check edmunds.com.
 Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #32

Bishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the worldBishounen0205 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

i actually i owned a 2002 spec-v, ran the piss out of it, then the new body style came out. I wasn't too fond of it at first, but i took a test drive, fell in love with how it drove and bought it that same day. the body style grew on me, and i got alot of compliments on the cars looks from people, even si owners. And the new ones are 200hp 180 tq. and there are a few spec-v's i know of running around no problem with way over 100,000 miles on them. plus if you ever want to boost, the make really good power out of low boost, 8 psi with a good tune will put you at over 300whp easily. one here in orlando is running either 8 or 10psi and hes making 345+whp. dont under estimate them
 Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bishounen0205 View Post
i actually i owned a 2002 spec-v, ran the piss out of it, then the new body style came out. I wasn't too fond of it at first, but i took a test drive, fell in love with how it drove and bought it that same day. the body style grew on me, and i got alot of compliments on the cars looks from people, even si owners. And the new ones are 200hp 180 tq. and there are a few spec-v's i know of running around no problem with way over 100,000 miles on them. plus if you ever want to boost, the make really good power out of low boost, 8 psi with a good tune will put you at over 300whp easily. one here in orlando is running either 8 or 10psi and hes making 345+whp. dont under estimate them
I always thought the spec V 2002 had weaker internals than previous Sentras - in fact, i am positive. I always recall ppl saying to up the power, internals had to be swapped out.
I have not seen ONE 02 Spec V in at least two years and i am in a major city where i used to see them daily!!
 Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

I always thought the spec V 2002 had weaker internals than previous Sentras - in fact, i am positive. I always recall ppl saying to up the power, internals had to be swapped out.
I have not seen ONE 02 Spec V in at least two years and i am in a major city where i used to see them daily!!
I'm not sure what year they are, but i know that there are spec-v's running 18psi (normally people are afraid to run more than 10 unless they are built) on stock internals, again with no problem and they are making well over 400WHP. i see spec v's here in orlando all the time. only real big problem that they had was precat failure, and the solution was super easy, buy a header for it and you're set.
 Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #35
Banned

Fratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't think you can go wrong with the MS3. I bought mine about a year ago and out of the box it is virtually bullet proof & 36k warranty If you want to mod it you can , looks sharp, can get one for 17-18 k for a used one and all the tests and comparisons put the Ms3 at the top or near the top. My opinion you cant go wrong.
Fratman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #36

GongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant futureGongShow has a brilliant future
Groaned at 36 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The CSRT4 is a lot like dating a ugly, fat girl who is good in the sack. A hell of a lot fun to drive, but you still have to wake up and look at it in the morning.
GongShow is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #37
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

am not sure what causes power train break downs... maybe it is inevitable?
I think the fundamental problem with "powertrain" ratings, is the fact it "includes" the transmission.

Many of the cars you are looking at have models with Automatic transmissions. As you are probably aware, people who drive automatics almost never take any care of them, then wonder why they explode when they finally decide to change the fluid at 100,000 miles.

If the MS3 is being thrown in with the mazda3 powertrains, this would drop the rating (the old 3 ATX was awful, new one is a tiny bit better).

Now as to the GTO, it was available with a 4 speed ATX that had all sorts of problems. Pretty much nothing wrong with the engine, everything wrong with a shitty 4 speed GM ATX slapped on a 400 ft/lb v8.

What's the point of my post? Automatic transmissions ruin everything and should be banned.

On to part 2 of post...reliability.

Powertrain reliability is also determined by how likely a component is going to fail around its rated lifespan. Smart owners will generally change out components about 10k miles before their rated lifespan, preventing any "trip" failures that ruin your day. Things like belts and hoses can be replaced a bit earlier to ensure a healthy engine. Running through forums can help you spot things like a fuel pump with a non servicable filter (Mazda6) that needs to be replaced, or two versions of a stock water pump (mazda 6), one with a plastic impleler that has a possibility of failing after 60k miles, and one with a metal impeller, (100k+).

As for cars which require little or no attention to...they don't exist anymore. Your best bet would be a used civic or integra, when they still had the double wishbone suspensions, and swapping engines was so simplistic, even average joes could do it with the proper tools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crossbow For This Useful Post:
jaco1234 (02-22-2009)
 Old 02-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #38
Wide tire man

dbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the worlddbrier is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Because you're coming from an STi, all of you choices are going to be lacking the speed and sportiness dept. The MS3 will be the most powerful of your choices.

One of the best competitors to the MS3 is the 09 WRX, but since you already have an STi and are not happy, that choice is out.
dbrier is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #39
Banned

Fratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond reputeFratman has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

MS3 period
Fratman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #40

TurboGhost is a splendid one to beholdTurboGhost is a splendid one to beholdTurboGhost is a splendid one to beholdTurboGhost is a splendid one to beholdTurboGhost is a splendid one to beholdTurboGhost is a splendid one to beholdTurboGhost is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

What I meant by "comfortable", was not clearly stated.
I am not sure what causes power train break downs... maybe it is inevitable?
Is there significantly more strain on a drive train with my constantly changing speeds between 65- 90, and another person using cruise at 75?

What underlies this whole thread is this
Cars are getting more expensive
This means longer and longer payment financing ( used to be 3years, then 4, then 5 and 6 )
this means more years driving a car before paid off
more years= more miles.

my sti just blew a water pump - a sub $200 part that could wreck an engine- luckily it didn't.

Back to point
If one person puts 100,000 miles on car at a steady 2800 rpms
and I drive 100,000 ( hopefully ) alternating between 3000- 5000 rpms, logic suggests I am much harder on drive train

So I used the term "comfortable" , to try to unearth which engines can more easily handling that kind of work load.
That is why I even considered a V8.
But a v8 may or may not have better ability to drive an "endurance" test ( 100K )
than a 4
Turboed 4, is another thing. Don't turbo's, even left to factory spec, wear an engine more?

Thanks for listening.
Let's say the V8 is in a 3800# car, while the turbo 4 has 3100 to pull around. 20% difference.
Now consider the V8 displaces 5 or 6+ L vs 2 to 2.5. Which one is operating at higher pressures and stresses? GM's sells the LSx with at about 400hp -- in a truck rated to tow four tons. That tells you that at 400hp the short-block not breaking a sweat. How long would a 400 crank hp MZR or Subie 4 last moving a 15,000# combination?
Sure, either is going to run past 100K mi - the emissions warranty lasts that long. 250K, or 100K mi with mods is another story.
Even if you tune the 4 for 400 crank hp and the V8 for 500 you are going to have far more issues with the turbo 4.
SO: If you are constantly asking the engine to slingshot you forward, a decent V8 will do that with ease.

"Don't turbo's, even left to factory spec, wear an engine more?"

The turbo doesn't wear the engine, but the driver may.
When a mfr designs any passenger engine, it has to go through company durability testing, much of which is done at full throttle. Typically they do not change the test for turbo setups, so the engine gets upgraded to last through the same test.

If you drove the turbo and n/a cars identically, the turbo engine would last longer, partly due to the upgrades and partly due being able to run lower rpm to deliver the same power.

But you don't buy a turbo car to drive within the performance limits of the slow n/a model, you want to use the power you paid for. Add a ignorance, sloppy maintenance or truly extreme driving and now something will give on the turbo car. The Mazda direct injection turbo engine complicates matters by dumping fuel into its oil, so you must be scrupulous about oil quality and frequent oil changes.

SO: No, the turbo itself doesn't add wear. If use the power occasionally, like at on-ramps, steep hills, etc there is no problem. Turbo + full boost away from every stoplight, now there will be issues.
TurboGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboGhost For This Useful Post:
jaco1234 (02-24-2009)