register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

IMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Intermittent shifting issues

Hey all,

I have a 2008 speed3 with 120k kms (~74k miles) and I have an intermittent shifting issue.
I have an ACT street clutch that's ~18months old. New slave (replaced last week). Clutch master cylinder was replaced 2.5 yrs ago. I also have a TWM full replacement shifter kit.

Under most circumstances, the car shifts and and drives fine. However, I have this intermittent problem with shifting that occurs mostly engaging reverse, like backing up when parking the car. Some times when I'm going into reverse, the transmission starts acting up, becoming very difficult to shift into gears reverse, 1, 2, 3, 4. (5th and 6th seem to be ok, but more difficult than normal). I can't even put the shifter into gears R, 1, 2, 3, 4. There's no grinds, no clutch noises. I just can't put the shifter into gear. The pedal feels fine.

If I shut off the car, then the shifter moves through the gears fine. I've tried double clutching but that doesn't help. If I turn the car back on right away, it has the same problem.
If I let the car sit for a few mins/hours, then it's fine again.

This is my 2nd ACT clutch. The first one died due to pressure plate failure due to a broken finger. As far as the clutch pedal is concerned, it feels fine. With the broken ACT PP, I would definitely feel something was wrong with the pedal, as I felt some resistance through the pedal due to the broken pressure plate.

I don't have any fluid leaks. I've tried bleeding the clutch several times.
From researching online, it sounds like I either have a problem with the shifter cables or the clutch pressure plate. Since this problem happens intermittently, is it safe to rule out hardware failure with the pressure plate and/or other clutch parts? There's no clutch noises so I think my throw out bearings and pilot bearings should be fine.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
2008 Mazdaspeed3 | Cobb AP | Cobb DP | Cobb FMIC | Cobb RSB | Cobb RSB | SURE 3" MAF full intake | CP-E Stage 2 RMM | CP-E HPFP | H&R Springs | Koni Yellows | TWM FR | MD OCC | Dashhawk | DO Methanol Injection | JBR PMM & TMM | JBR EGR Plate |

Last edited by IMASA; 12-06-2017 at 05:47 PM.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world2012FailWheelDrive is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2008 speed3 with 120k kms (~74k miles) and I have an intermittent shifting issue.
I have an ACT street clutch that's ~18months old. New slave (replaced last week). Clutch master cylinder was replaced 2.5 yrs ago. I also have a TWM full replacement shifter kit.

Under most circumstances, the car shifts and and drives fine. However, I have this intermittent problem with shifting that occurs mostly engaging reverse, like backing up when parking the car. Some times when I'm going into reverse, the transmission starts acting up, becoming very difficult to shift into gears reverse, 1, 2, 3, 4. (5th and 6th seem to be ok, but more difficult than normal). I can't even put the shifter into gears R, 1, 2, 3, 4. There's no grinds, no clutch noises. I just can't put the shifter into gear. The pedal feels fine.

If I shut off the car, then the shifter moves through the gears fine. I've tried double clutching but that doesn't help. If I turn the car back on right away, it has the same problem.
If I let the car sit for a few mins/hours, then it's fine again.

This is my 2nd ACT clutch. The first one died due to pressure plate failure due to a broken finger. As far as the clutch pedal is concerned, it feels fine. With the broken ACT PP, I would definitely feel something was wrong with the pedal, as I felt some resistance through the pedal due to the broken pressure plate.

I don't have any fluid leaks. I've tried bleeding the clutch several times.
From researching online, it sounds like I either have a problem with the shifter cables or the clutch pressure plate. Since this problem happens intermittently, is it safe to rule out hardware failure with the pressure plate and/or other clutch parts? There's no clutch noises so I think my throw out bearings and pilot bearings should be fine.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Hmm so I have a gen 2 with a Southend stage 3 and a twm replacement as well and seem to have the same problem as you. Drives fine 98% of the time but then suddenly all gears are impossible to get into. I have found that a constant factor is that it is usually after a long drive and the car as well as ambient temps are on the hotter side (usually experience it in summer).

I haven't replaced the slave yet but was going to be my next move along with a tranny fluid change from fomoco to redline.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 Old 12-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

IMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the worldIMASA is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My problem occurs mostly when I'm driving to work or from work. I arrive at the destination, attempt to throw it into reverse and can't shift into any gears.
The only way I can get the car to shift is keep trying R or 1st and eventually I can force it in. Or, let the car sit for like 30mins to 1hr and then it shifts fine again.

I replaced the slave, using original Mazda part, put in Motul Gear 300, but that didn't help at all. I tried playing with the shifter adjustment, and the adjustable reverse lock out on the TWM, but didn't help either.

Let me know if you figure your issue out.
2008 Mazdaspeed3 | Cobb AP | Cobb DP | Cobb FMIC | Cobb RSB | Cobb RSB | SURE 3" MAF full intake | CP-E Stage 2 RMM | CP-E HPFP | H&R Springs | Koni Yellows | TWM FR | MD OCC | Dashhawk | DO Methanol Injection | JBR PMM & TMM | JBR EGR Plate |
 Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

thrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

The speed3 shifter cables are adjustable left to right, not sure if that still works with the twm full replacement though but it would be worth looking into.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
thrisnospork is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I've already adjusted the side to side movement of the shifter, doesn't seem to have helped me.
 Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you removed the boot and left it that way so you can observe the parts inside the cabin when you have the problem? If not I'd do that first.

Next, get someone to help. Looks like you have an intake so hopefully this is visible with a flashlight... have them watch the transmission arms where the cables attach as you run through all the gears before you leave, including reverse so they can memorize all the movements of the levers, etc. Then drive somewhere that makes it do it and get them watching the trans end again before you try to shift into reverse. Do the shift into reverse and get it to do the lock out, try to go into all the gears - all the while telling the shop hand what you're doing. Hopefully they'll be able to notice something different and if not you'll know there's nothing wrong between the mechanisms inside and the stuff inside the trans. Make sure they also watch the shift weight etc.

Nothing great but the start of basic troubleshooting is about all I've got at the moment.
 Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, my problem seems to be related to the TWM full replacement. I re-read the TWM install manual and followed their adjustment steps. I had installed the TWM like 4 years ago and forgot it had its own adjustment instructions. I don't think you can just adjust the shifter as per the instruments on youtube as that was what I did and it didn't help at all.

Put it in reverse, adjust the shifter until there's a 1 mm space between the shift linkage and the shifter. This pretty much meant my shifter was adjusted all the way to the left.
My reverse lock out was fine because I had been adjusting that previously.

Now when I shift into reverse, if it doesn't go into gear, I can force it in easier than before, or if I double clutch, it usually can go in. The transmission no longer locks up gears R, 1, 2, 3, 4 when I can't get into R.