register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Solarsurge

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

ZoomZoomT is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Knocking sound only on idle

Have this knocking sound.. only on idle. It rattles more now that I put in a downpipe. It rattles when the engine runs a little more on idle, and stops when it calms down. Don't know if that makes sense. Anybody have this before?
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20180612_211855.mp4 (26.60 MB, 32 views)
ZoomZoomT is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #2

djern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the worlddjern is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,016 Times in 456 Posts
Groans: 23
Not Ranked  0 score     

part out?

06 VRM Speed 6 W/Navi
05 Mazda Family Truckster
FREEKTUNED\\Cobb AP\\Autotech Internals\\Eibach Pro Springs\\Sure SRI+TIP\\Street Unit TP\\CPE RMM\AWR 88 Duro TMM\\Forge V1\\JBR Shortcut\\JBR SSB\\CPE & Sure Rear Diff Mounts\\Unicorn Blood (Rotella T6)

twitter.com/djern
instagram.com/djern
facebook.com/djern
djern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djern For This Useful Post:
Pu Manchu (06-13-2018)
 Old 06-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My old phone cant play it. Post a video to boob tube or throw some big ole titties up in here. How many miles and what mods do you have.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Geiger counter mod. lol
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
cyclist20 (07-25-2018), Pu Manchu (06-13-2018)
 Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok ill get a link or something tonight. But basically have stage 2 cobb mods. Intake, inlet pipe, internals, dp, and im running full straight pipe too. I recently put in a dp but I had this sound before. If its only on idle, would it be my engine knocking or could it be something else? Oh and im at 112k miles.
 Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 166
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like VVT noise to me.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #7

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea, I'd say either bad VVT or a bad pulley bearing. It's hard to tell from a video where the noise is coming from, so I'd take a long screwdriver and touch the tip to various parts and put your ear to the handle. Make sure you don't accidentally touch anything that moves! It'll be fairly obvious where it's coming from. If it's coming from near your oil cap that's your VVT shitting the bed. If it's coming from somewhere on the side of the block it's a pulley bearing. If it's coming from the block itself, plan your part out lol
 Old 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Not Ranked  0 score     

Year of car would help, I doubt any gen 2 is having vvtissues
 Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its 2007. And isn't VVT noise only on start up?
 Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ZoomZoomT View Post
Its 2007. And isn't VVT noise only on start up?
Not necessarily. That *specific* startup issue was due to the VVT actuator not being able to pick up the slack in the chain and the chain slapping the valve cover. That's the warning sign your VVT is going out. It gets worse. Also, the chain itself can stretch. There's several parts to a VVT system. If the knocking sound was steady and varied in speed with RPM, that would be more indicative of a rod or bearing. Since it's more random, it seems more like a pulley or VVT (unless that random noise is actually bits of your engine internals flying around randomly). Do the screwdriver test.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
cyclist20 (07-25-2018), ZoomZoomT (07-09-2018)
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
Not necessarily. That *specific* startup issue was due to the VVT actuator not being able to pick up the slack in the chain and the chain slapping the valve cover. That's the warning sign your VVT is going out. It gets worse. Also, the chain itself can stretch. There's several parts to a VVT system. If the knocking sound was steady and varied in speed with RPM, that would be more indicative of a rod or bearing. Since it's more random, it seems more like a pulley or VVT (unless that random noise is actually bits of your engine internals flying around randomly). Do the screwdriver test.
Ok thanks i'll look at it some more.
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,229 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 538
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

its a loose heat shield ya dummy, get your shit together
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Pu Manchu View Post
Or that hahaha. That falls under the "check exhaust" section

Like I always say...before you jump to conclusions check the small stuff first lol
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Pu Manchu View Post
I mean I just replaced the dp, so I took a few heat shields out so don't know what heat shield it could be. Not much left to look at.
 Old 06-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #15

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I hear knocking, it's usually girls wanting a ride.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22's, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Poly FSB Bushings, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC/PCV Plate
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
cyclist20 (07-25-2018), kTaLgsTo (07-09-2018)
 Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Im in the process of replacing my timing chain and vvt. Basically got the VVT replacement kit. Process sucks! lol had a good amount of slack in my chain when i took it off.

Another thing is when i floor the car, I get white smoke out my exhaust. I know blue smoke is oil. But its not blue, its white which is usually some kind of moisture. Im just not sure what it could be.. Anybody have any ideas?
 Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #17

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Not Ranked  0 score     

check your coolant level....

for the chain, make sure to read the thread how-to VVT and follow the given advices there.
While being at it, i would check the idler and AC clutch bearing too.

rod bearing knock will get worse if you hold brakes and try to slip the clutch in first gear just to put a load on the engine.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea I looked at the How-to for vvt. My coolant levels are lower in my reservoir but only because I forgot to add more when i spilled some when I was cleaning my egr valve.

Also, what do you think of the Banjo/ Boone Bolt fix for the smoking turbo. I might try that just to see if it fixes anything. I tried to find the pvc pill fix thing but couldn't find it for the first gens.

Last edited by ZoomZoomT; 07-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.
 Old 07-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

The smoky turbo is a crank case ventilation issue in nearly all cases. Our PCV system is adequately engineered for stock power levels, but once you start pushing more power, a catch can setup is a necessity. I firmly believe banjo bolts are NOT the answer. Restricting oil flow into the turbo instead of solving the oil flow problem out of the turbo is just putting less oil through the turbo increasing the chances of overheating and premature wear. A bolt is cheap, so that's why people jump to that "fix." A proper fix isn't cheap OR easy.

Look at it this way. Let's say you have 5 psi in your crank case. That may not sound like a lot of pressure, but it is. It's blowing air up your oil return line in similar fashion to you blowing bubbles into a beverage with a straw. The oil in the turbo can't escape through that line, and the new oil into the turbo tries to displace that oil, but it has nowhere to go but past the seals and out your exhaust. Restricting that oil MAY limit displacement and stop smoking, but it will also leave the turbo starved for oil once the return line is no longer under positive pressure and all the oil flows out.

How do we solve this problem?

Solution 1: Catch Cans - $200+
Nearly all turbo inlet pipes have venturi suction tubes pulling pressure from the crank case. The problem this creates is it literally sucks oil blowby from the crank case directly back into the intake. This is why Corksport's catch can is placed in this area. However, if the crank case is pressurized enough, this suction alone can't keep up. This is why Damond Motorsports has done tremendous additional research into multiple catch can setups, ventilation routing options, etc. This area is pretty well covered. However, it's still not always enough.

Solution 2: Scavenge Pump - $200+
The idea here is simple -- use a pump to control oil flow from the turbo. While this is guaranteed to pump the oil from the turbo, it doesn't do anything to relieve the crank case pressure (which has other adverse affects on engine performance) and is also a pretty gigantic pain in the balls to design, implement, and maintain.

Solution 3: Dry Sump System - Hella Expensive
This is what professional race cars use. It utilizes a shallow oil pan and vacuum pumps to keep the crank case under vacuum full time, sucking both oil and air (pressure) out of the crank case and pumping it into a reservoir that isn't subject to typical sloshing/windage from aggressive driving. I don't even think anyone sells a kit compatible with our cars anymore. Cosworth did, but good luck finding one. This is a custom thing, so not realistic.

With that said...most of us can solve our crank case pressure issues with proper VTA catch can setups or a combination of catch cans and a scavenge pump. A restrictor bolt is often sold to prevent "over-oiling." Now, I'm not the smartest man...but I don't believe there can ever be such a thing as "over-oiling" of a thing that spins at 100,000+ RPM and is designed to ride on that oil or face catastrophic failure from metal to metal contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Solarsurge; 07-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
 Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #20

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I vote lose heat shield. Sounds too light to be timing chain, thats more of a clack/clatter. This is definitely more thin metal vibration territory. Check that all the bolts are tight(barely past hand tight) and then check the overlapping sections of hte shield. they often get bent in and touch eachother.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea, so I changed the vvt and timing chain and the sound is still there. I think i narrowed it down to my alternator. I'm thinking it's the pulley on the alternator. But ok I'll do some research on the catch can.
 Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So i was looking through the Damond Motorsports catch can kits and I was wondering what kit is best to get? stage 1,2 or 3? Also since I have a 2007, would i need to specifically look for the 0-09 kits?
 Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #23

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stage 7. ALWAYS Stage 7.
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (07-17-2018)
 Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

If you read the descriptions under the options it tells you what those options are recommended for. Such as “recommended for big turbo setups” and what not.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

OK found that description page.

So would this potentially fix the smoking while sitting on idle for some time issue too?
 Old 07-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

No
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So should I still try the banjo bolt? Im suppose to get it today. And Damond Motorsports says all sales r final lol

But ill order the catch can today too
 Old 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

OK found that description page.

So would this potentially fix the smoking while sitting on idle for some time issue too?

There’s only 2 reasons for smoking at idle — either oil is getting past the turbo seals or you have engine trouble. With the oil issue, it’s a well documented issue that our cars have terrible crank case ventilation and I have seen brand new turbos smoke. If your turbo is blown, catch cans will not do much, but it will help your next turbo last longer and not smoke.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #29

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If your oil pan leak, draining the oil from the pan will, for sure, stop the leak like a smaller banjo bolt will do for the turbo Is it a good solution? I let you figure it out.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

With a ball bearing turbo, oil restriction is needed and the ball bearings are what the turbo rides on and CAN be over-oiled. Nearly all of these come with restrictors. Stock turbo is a journal bearing turbo, which is literally like saying “oil bearing” since it’s literally floating on a layer of oil. Take away the oil or restrict that flow and you may be destroying your turbo faster just to try to stop it from smoking. I think this is where a lot of the “Do I need a restrictor bolt” confusion comes from...

Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

With a ball bearing turbo, oil restriction is needed and the ball bearings are what the turbo rides on and CAN be over-oiled. Nearly all of these come with restrictors. Stock turbo is a journal bearing turbo, which is literally like saying “oil bearing” since it’s literally floating on a layer of oil. Take away the oil or restrict that flow and you may be destroying your turbo faster just to try to stop it from smoking. I think this is where a lot of the “Do I need a restrictor bolt” confusion comes from...

Ok so if it is that bad for the turbo, why can't I find anything on people complaining abt their turbos after they put the bolt in? All i see is people saying that their smoke is gone. So im still not too sure about the restrictor bolt. Would you recommend to install the catch can first before trying the bolt?
 Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so if it is that bad for the turbo, why can't I find anything on people complaining abt their turbos after they put the bolt in? All i see is people saying that their smoke is gone. So im still not too sure about the restrictor bolt. Would you recommend to install the catch can first before trying the bolt?

Let’s be retarded for a minute. Let’s say all of the engineers at Mazda and millions of dollars of R&D money were pissed away on a shitty bolt that is not properly designed for your stock turbo, and that is the reason you’re smoking. So you get a restrictor bolt, which stops your smoke. You’d be on the forums saying “See? I told Solarsurge this bolt would be the answer to my problems!” Then 3,000 miles down the road when your turbo shits the bed you’ll probably say “It was a good run. I sure am glad that bolt got me another 3k miles! Time for a big turbo!” Then you buy a big turbo with a journal bearing because it’s cheaper and it, too, craps out on you after just 3,000 miles. Now you want to blame the shitty turbo manufacturer. Never once do you even consider that your PCV may be your issue and your stock turbo might have lived 30,000 more miles if you didn’t put in that stupid bolt and your brand new turbo might have lasted 100k+ mi without that bolt. Why? Because the bolt solved what you thought was your initial problem. Does that answer your question?

Ask me how I know so much about the topic.

Jeff23spl likes this.

Last edited by Solarsurge; 07-17-2018 at 12:06 PM.
 Old 07-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Agreed restrictor bolt is a bandaid that won't stop the infection.
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
 Old 07-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Let’s be retarded for a minute. Let’s say all of the engineers at Mazda and millions of dollars of R&D money were pissed away on a shitty bolt that is not properly designed for your stock turbo, and that is the reason you’re smoking. So you get a restrictor bolt, which stops your smoke. You’d be on the forums saying “See? I told Solarsurge this bolt would be the answer to my problems!” Then 3,000 miles down the road when your turbo shits the bed you’ll probably say “It was a good run. I sure am glad that bolt got me another 3k miles! Time for a big turbo!” Then you buy a big turbo with a journal bearing because it’s cheaper and it, too, craps out on you after just 3,000 miles. Now you want to blame the shitty turbo manufacturer. Never once do you even consider that your PCV may be your issue and your stock turbo might have lived 30,000 more miles if you didn’t put in that stupid bolt and your brand new turbo might have lasted 100k+ mi without that bolt. Why? Because the bolt solved what you thought was your initial problem. Does that answer your question?

Yea that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Was kinda confused on that. SO basically putting in the restrictor bolt fucks your turbo either way. With or without the OCC.
 Old 07-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Sound like a guy that did the experiments and didn't like the results ...?

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 07-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Sound like a guy that did the experiments and didn't like the results ...?

Let’s just say I bought a BNR S4 because I had a smoky turbo, installed the brand new BNR S4 and still had a smoky turbo, put in a restrictor bolt that BNR supplier to me and still had a smoky turbo. I am talking about smoke to a point three different mechanics told me I had bad head gasket. That’s when I learned all about crankcase pressure and tracked it down to a clogged PCV line. Finally got the issue resolved and realized my 3,000 mile old BNR S4 already has a little shaft play and needs to be sent in for warranty. Why? Because under boost it was starved for oil because of that stupid bolt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
Jeff23spl (07-18-2018)
 Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So basically that knocking/ticking sound was my tensioner. At least im glad my chain is nice and tight now and shouldn't have to deal with the vvt issue in the future.