register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

ian209 will become famous soon enoughian209 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Leak Down/Compression Test - Bad Results on Cylinder 2

Hi There,

So ever since I've purchased my 08 speed 3, I've had a CEL for Rich at Idle and off idle (P2178 and p2188). I've been having trouble diagnosing and fixing the issue. I've done a boost/vacuum test which turned out fine, and a MAF cleaning and oring replacement, but my LTFT and STFT are both staying around -20%.

Finally, I brought it into a shop to get it diagnosed, and they found that Cylinder 2 is having issues. They did a compression and leak down test and here are the results:

Cylinder 1: 165PSI, 6% Leak
Cylinder 2: 150PSI, 48% Leak (Heard through Oil Fill, Intake and Cylinder 3 plug hole, and slightly through the exhaust as well)
Cylinder 3: 172PSI, 2% Leak
Cylinder 4: 162PSI, 7% Leak

So it's likely that incomplete combustion is occurring in Cylinder 2, causing a rich condition.

I suspect that the valves or valve seals have gone bad or possible carbon buildup on the valves, but was wondering if there is a way to verify without removing the head or engine?

Also, the engine doesn't seam to be consuming oil. I had the dipstick to full on my last oil change, and after 7500KM later (my next oil change cycle) it was only down to about the mid level on the dipstick.

I'm thinking that if it is a valve issue, it would almost be worth it to skip redoing the head, and just do a swap for a SP63 stage 1 long block.
I'm worried that if I rebuild the valves and valve seals that the short block may not be up to snuff on seals and stuff, and will cause catastrophic failure to the engine.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance.
ian209 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,247 Posts
Groans: 81
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you were full on the dip then down to half you most definitely are consuming oil. Could be the piston rings. Could possibly be injector seals, or the valves.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

ian209 will become famous soon enoughian209 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Interesting, I thought that kind of consumption was normal, that's like less than 300ml on a 7500km interval. I have an oil catch can installed as well, which when emptied could have attributed to that oil loss.
I don't think it's the injector seals as I have upgraded to corksport ones a year ago.
ian209 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 65
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ian209 View Post
Interesting, I thought that kind of consumption was normal
If you had great comp/leak down then i would say the turbo is screwed but......
Originally Posted by ian209 View Post
Cylinder 1: 165PSI, 6% Leak
Cylinder 2: 150PSI, 48% Leak (Heard through Oil Fill)
Cylinder 3: 172PSI, 2% Leak

I had the dipstick to full on my last oil change, and after 7500KM later (my next oil change cycle) it was only down to about the mid level on the dipstick.

I have an oil catch can installed as well, which when emptied could have attributed to that oil loss.

Interesting, I thought that kind of consumption was normal

Blow by will atomize the oil and the pcv will suck it thru your can. The fact that you can hear it thru the oil cap means the air is passing by the rings and entering the crank case then it makes its way out via the VC. IMHO ur shits fucked go BT and dont look back (unless your raceing and you want to see the other guy).
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1// Air Lift 1000 in rear
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote