register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

wyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Main studs/ bolts

Still tracking down everything for the build. Searched but couldn't find much in the way of info on main bolts/studs.

I saw a few people running into problems with arp main studs and I didn't know if people are reusing the stock main bolts or if they are buying new.

At the machine shop where my work is being done they found a bulletin on their engine servicing software that had specs with measurements on reusing head bolts but I don't see anything on main bolts, infact I don"t see much at all in the way of info for the mzr disi..
wyeto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

jdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,653 Times in 804 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

From my little bit of research plus personal opinion; don't reuse either head/main bolts. I don't care about stretch measurements. Head bolts are a bigger concern in this platform anyways.

ARP main bolts do not allow for the Balance Shaft to be reinstalled. If you plan on reinstalling it then you will need to use the OEM main bolts or be prepared to alter the ARP mains.

HTA 3076 | HTP 4" Intake, battery tray, under mount piping | CPE Exhaust Manifold, downpipe, FMIC & Stage 2 RMM | MD TMM and PMM | Tial MV-R ewg w/ Kozmic dump tube | VCTS delete/Ported IM | JBR OCC, EGR delete, BSD w/ oil pan baffle & RSB | SP63 Oil Cap Breather | Synapse SB BPV | UR CBE | Autotech HPFP | H & R Coilovers | Whiteline Endlinks | Manley Pistons & Rods | L19 Head Studs | Kozmic 6th Port w/ DW65c ITFP | Snow Performance Stg 2 Meth | JMF Manifold | SouthBend Stg 3 Endurance Clutch | Tuned with
jdmage_mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdmage_mx5 For This Useful Post:
England15j (02-03-2015), wyeto (02-04-2015)
 Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

ASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,120 Times in 602 Posts
Groans: 126
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have never seen anyone break an OEM main bolt on this platform that wasn't directly contributed to another failure. If you want to keep the balance shaft, go new OEM if even for just peace of mind. It all depends on what your goals and needs for your build are.

'09 Red MS3 - AP self tuned, CS HPFP, JBR 3.5 WP, CP-e S2 RMM, M2 Catless DP, CX FMIC, CNT CBE
ASHMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ASHMS3 For This Useful Post:
KCi (02-04-2015), phate (02-03-2015), wyeto (02-03-2015)
 Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

wyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the worldwyeto is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jdmage_mx5 View Post
From my little bit of research plus personal opinion; don't reuse either head/main bolts. I don't care about stretch measurements. Head bolts are a bigger concern in this platform anyways.

ARP main bolts do not allow for the Balance Shaft to be reinstalled. If you plan on reinstalling it then you will need to use the OEM main bolts or be prepared to alter the ARP mains.
I am reusing my head bolts for use on the torque plate when the block gets bored, I will be using a new set when bolting the head down.

As for the mains I agree, wouldnt want to cheap out on 60$ worth of bolts to lose your engine.

Originally Posted by ASHMS3 View Post
I have never seen anyone break an OEM main bolt on this platform that wasn't directly contributed to another failure. If you want to keep the balance shaft, go new OEM if even for just peace of mind. It all depends on what your goals and needs for your build are.
I agree. Seems the stock fasteners are pretty on point. I plan on using stock head bolts and mains.

Balance shaft will be removed

power goals are in the high 300's and hopefully one day 400 hp, I'm going to be going with a gt2871 turbo.
wyeto is offline   Reply With Quote