register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

rang-a-stang is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default NEWB Timing chain questions

Bought my 09 new in Feb of 09. Changed oil every 5k with synthetic. I am now at 125k and I need to replace my timing cover (the studs that hold the upper motor mount both sheered off and it's cracked). Stock long block, JBR motor mounts, a couple bolt on parts but mostly stock.

Question 1) While I have the timing cover off, should I replace my timing chain? I do not have any clicking, it runs like a champ, no odd noises (it does have the initial rattle when I start it cold, for like a quarter second, but it has almost always done that). I saw some threads that said to reach in the oil fill hole and check for slop so I'll do that. This is my daily driver so I like to have "all" parts, supplies, and tools needed before I dig into a project.

Question 2) If I should replace my chain, any recommendations on parts? I have replaced many American V8 timing chain sets and there are good ones and crappy ones. I assume the same is true for my MS3? Should I buy factory chains, tensioner, and guides, or are aftermarket fine? I do not ever want to get rid of this car so longevity/reliability is extremely important to me. I would rather pay more for better parts but if expensive factory parts are no better than aftermarket ones, then I'll buy them.

Question 3) Should I plan to replace the sprockets?

I have been using the search here and I have the service manual so I am not really looking for a "how-to" more like should I mess with it if it isn't giving me problems...
rang-a-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,941 Times in 2,755 Posts
Groans: 1,894
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

I wouldn't mess around. If you're already basically rebuilding a bunch of stuff on that side of your engine, you might as well replace the timing chain and VVT system. If you do so, you should replace the VVT system with OEM-spec parts. EdgeAutoSport sells a complete kit.

However, if you intend to run massive power on your rebuilt engine, you may want to consider pinned cams, etc.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
rang-a-stang (08-06-2019)
 Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

No massive power. Current mods are all the mods I will ever do. At this point, I just want the car to live as long as possible.

Amazon has a complete factory parts kit including the VVT:
Amazon kit
but I wasn't really sure I "needed" to do the VVT/timing chains.

I wouldn't say I am "rebuilding" anything, just swapping the timing cover. I'll poke around on Edge's website and see what I can find. Thanks!
 Old 08-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you open the cover to fix a leak ?

to do so you will already need new friction washers and bolt for the crank and the timing tool to put it back...why not replacing at least the chain, it is the wearing part....the other ones are probably in good shape.
you can open the vvt to inspect the locking pin inside to see if it is gonna dig a way to get out or not. doing so means another bolt and washer for that pulley...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
you open the cover to fix a leak ?

to do so you will already need new friction washers and bolt for the crank and the timing tool to put it back...why not replacing at least the chain, it is the wearing part....the other ones are probably in good shape.
you can open the vvt to inspect the locking pin inside to see if it is gonna dig a way to get out or not. doing so means another bolt and washer for that pulley...
Shit. Ya. Once you break the balancer bolt loose, you need to replace all of the crank friction washers, which means pulling the timing chain and crank sprockets out.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright. Looks like I am going to do the whole job (timing cover, timing chain, and VVT).

I have built a few motors (none Mazda, though) and am totally comfortable getting this done but
a) how long should I expect my car to be down if things go "normally"? I assume this is a start on Saturday morning and back my car out of my garage Saturday night...
b) Do you guys all buy your own timing tools or is there a loaner pool around here? Anyone got a set laying around they would be willing to sell? I don't really want to pay $68 extra for a tool I will probably never use again. Should I post an ad in the classifieds or check FleaBay?