register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Default Ordered new oil...

so i cant find any Penzoil Platinum 5w40 around my neck of the woods... So i had to order online, take it in the ass and pay $14 to ship it.

Pennzoil Synthetic 5W40 European Formulation $32... Add the tax and im being raped. I have to see if i can get one of these stores to order it from now on.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #2

MS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What made you decide with 5W40?
MS6_Auburn_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)

I figure i want to try a 40wt with a hot engine and see what happens with the oil ingestion through the pcv.

An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
 Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #4

MS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Not Ranked  0 score     

Post your results if turns out that it helps. I've had a OCC sitting in my closet for about six months waiting for me to install.
MS6_Auburn_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Banned

Buildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,138 Times in 576 Posts
Groans: 213
Groaned at 274 Times in 187 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i just put in 10w-30.. i might try 10w-40 next =(
Buildabong is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

10wt is your cold start up wt. I wouldnt expect anything to change... the 40 wt i think is the better option. I may even try a 0-50 after this.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #7

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,465 Times in 2,601 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i know 10w30 should be the same as 5w30 once the engine is hot...but since i put in 10w30 all my smoking has stopped... it only seemed to smoke before at idle, when the engine wasn't fully warmed up, though.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Banned

Buildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the worldBuildabong is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,138 Times in 576 Posts
Groans: 213
Groaned at 274 Times in 187 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

0-50? hum... i use to put 0-40 in my passat 1.8t lol aint 0 a european thing? cause my friends dad all he has is vw's and they all have 0-40.. even his old school eurovan
Buildabong is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #9

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
i know 10w30 should be the same as 5w30 once the engine is hot...but since i put in 10w30 all my smoking has stopped... it only seemed to smoke before at idle, when the engine wasn't fully warmed up, though.

it might have stopped because they don't have to add as many additives to a 10w30 since its not going to be as viscous at a cold temperature.

i'll be going to a 5w40 amsoil euro spec to see if it resolves the smoking issue i have after installing downpipe.
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Banned

Laloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,726 Times in 896 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 196 Times in 127 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ive been running a 40 wt for a long time...you guys will be fine...i actually wanna try a staright 40 next
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

i run 0/50 in my 5.4 and ill tell you, that is some good fuckin oil. Did a tear down at 45,000 and not a mar on a bearing. I live in Ca, it doenst get cold enough to worry about having 5/10 or 20 wt for startup purposes.

I prefer euro spec oil though.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #12

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's hard to find 5W-40 in anything. 15W-40 is the popular one. I wish Wally World would carry 5W-40 PP because the last time I was there, it was $19 for a 5 quart jug, which comes out to $3.80 a quart. I'll be changing my Rotella T syn 5W-40 in another 1k miles or so and I'll probably do an analysis. I'm just over 10k miles on the car right now and this will be my 3rd change since the car was new, so I expect the motor to be near broken in. The Rotella is $22 for 4 quarts at WM. At $5.50 a quart, it's definitely not as good of a deal as PP.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
Frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

Well, i may move to a 10/40 due to costs... paying shipping and tax to CA for PP makes it rather inexpensive, just to run Amsoil in this fucker. Oil is ordered, so im going to try it.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #14

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

haha you gotta hit up ebay for oil and use that microsoft live 30% off. i got 6 quarts for amsoil 5w-40 euro for $40. still kind of expensive for oil but cheap for amsoil.
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #15

MadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know you feel like it's rapage, but paying extra $$$ for oil that you know has worked flawlessly on another engine for 45k miles is worth it. A little extra every 4-5k miles for longevity and peace of mind down the road is good.
11 BLACK SUZUKI GSX-R750 - totaled
11 BLACK SUZUKI GSX-R750 - totaled...again
*OFFICIALLY RETIRED FROM TWO WHEELS*
MadOzodi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #16

MazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to beholdMazdaMan13 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

what type of pp would you recommend for the northeast?
MazdaMan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
Doc

Doc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the world
Groans: 35
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

im running a RP 10-40

Our Australian manulas give us a range of oils to use for this engine.. one of which is the reccomended 10W-40!..

No complaints..

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #18

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Doc View Post
im running a RP 10-40

Our Australian manulas give us a range of oils to use for this engine.. one of which is the reccomended 10W-40!..

No complaints..

Doc
Go figure. It's amazing how many people think a 40 weight oil is way too thick for this car. "Back in the day", when turbocharged cars were more numorous (mid 80's into the 90's), it was not uncommon to use 10W-40 or even 20W-50 in them. Thanks to emissions and fuel economy standards imposed on the car manufacturers, they've been going with thinner and thinner oils. They know most people in the USA can't keep a car for longer than 4 or 5 years before buying a new one and by that time the car is out of warranty, so they're willing to accept the risk of increased engine wear.

Are your cars rated for 18 mpg city and 26 mpg highway "Down Unda"?
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
 Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,291 Times in 592 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

can't wait to see the UOA on that rotella...
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #20

AutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer View Post
Go figure. It's amazing how many people think a 40 weight oil is way too thick for this car. "Back in the day", when turbocharged cars were more numorous (mid 80's into the 90's), it was not uncommon to use 10W-40 or even 20W-50 in them. Thanks to emissions and fuel economy standards imposed on the car manufacturers, they've been going with thinner and thinner oils. They know most people in the USA can't keep a car for longer than 4 or 5 years before buying a new one and by that time the car is out of warranty, so they're willing to accept the risk of increased engine wear.

The reason we no longer use 20W-50 like in the old days is that engine manufacturing has taken a step up with tighter tolerances, etc...
The tighter the tolerance, the thinner the oil is needed.

Back in the 80's, we used 20W-50 to compensate for tolerances...
 Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #21

AutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
haha you gotta hit up ebay for oil and use that microsoft live 30% off. i got 6 quarts for amsoil 5w-40 euro for $40. still kind of expensive for oil but cheap for amsoil.
Shit, I pay $98 for a case of Red Line... $40 is a bargin...
 Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #22
Doc

Doc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the worldDoc is the leader of the world
Groans: 35
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer View Post

we have a different rating system my friend.

However the car is rated to 10.2L/100km's

maybe you can find another car like an evo 10 we have here and compare our system to yours.

I like the idea of a 40.. i think a 50 is a little too heavy at 6k

CHeers mate!
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #23

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,678 Times in 712 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I ran castol syntec 5w-50 in my gsr its whole life
 Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #24

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,678 Times in 712 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Laloosh View Post
ive been running a 40 wt for a long time...you guys will be fine...i actually wanna try a staright 40 next
u need a lighter wieght when starting your engine 5-10. you want the oil to be thin at start up so it gets in their and protects fast, thats the purpose of multi wieght oil..
 Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #25

socks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the worldsocks is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,435 Posts
Groans: 125
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I run amsoil signature series 0w30 by preference.

I have had a few oil changes sneak up on me (like w/ the turbo swap) and have used the Q full synth, and castrol full synth. ive messed around with oil weights (5w30, 0w30, 10w40), and at no time have i noticed a difference. when the car smoked, it smoked with any oil, any weight. now it doesnt cuz i put in the turbo.

i have penzoil platinum 5w30 waiting to go in when i pull the turbo to port the wastegate... lets just say im not looking forward to that... who knows, it may happen tonight...
 Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 AM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Doc View Post
we have a different rating system my friend.

However the car is rated to 10.2L/100km's

maybe you can find another car like an evo 10 we have here and compare our system to yours.

I like the idea of a 40.. i think a 50 is a little too heavy at 6k

CHeers mate!
Doc
So that'd be 2.695 gallons per 62.137 statute miles or 23.056mpg. Sounds like an average and probably pretty accurate. Maybe they make your MS3's with looser tolerances. I think not.
 Old 10-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #27
Axle Breaker

jmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,621 Times in 2,782 Posts
Groans: 162
Groaned at 28 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've run both the Amsoil SSO and the Euro 5w-40 in mine since 1K miles. I've got just over 16K on the car now. I've been super happy with both. Never used any noticable amount of oil between changes and have just a few ounces in the OCC at each change. I went to the 5w-40 merely because I just don't feel 30wt is heavy enough in any turbo car especially in our summer heat here. I get 22-23 MPG in the city and 29-30 on the highway no matter which oil I use or how hard I drive the car.