register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Thor Hammer
  • 1 Post By g00s3y
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #1

KooshaS is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Second thoughts on downpipe

I recently purchased a Cobb catted downpipe and now I'm having second thought on installing it. I hear all these people saying how their cars started smoking after installing a downpipe and im afraid mine will too. I took out both my resonators and my 2nd cat and I haven't had any smoking issues so far. I do puff out a little bit of black smoke when revving it to higher rpms but no white smoke but thats fine because my car runs a little rich. Do you think i should install it? I have 98k miles and I checked my turbo when i recently installed my TIP and it seemed really healthy but that probably doesnt mean much. Any replies are appreciated!
KooshaS is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #2

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You already own it and don't want to install it? What are you going to do with it - hang it on your wall? Stop being a pussy and just put it on. If you start smoking fix that issue. DPs don't make your car smoke, they just stop the masking of it.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / Mishimoto Oil Cooler / CX Racing PS Cooler / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #3

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

shamie hit the nail on the head. The DP doesnt cause the smoking...it just brings it to your attention that its already happening(1st cat usually filters it out). Install the damn thing already.

If you are smoking its likely the seals on your K04. Options are to buy the restrictor banjo bolt or upgrade to a s3/cs and be done with it. Some have also had good luck with running a 5/40 oil to keep it from seeping past the seals. But if you are already less 2nd cat and resonators with little to no smoke I doubt you will see much of a change in smoke output. Most guys that see a big difference go from full emissions to nada.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Bertospeed3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hope you already have HPFP installed.
OBX R Catback Exhaust
Cobb SF Intake & TIH w. Blitz Filter
CP-e TMIC
Corksport Dual VTA BPV
Bertospeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,685 Posts
Groans: 1,816
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

^^^ This ^^^

You also actually need a custom tune at this point as well.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #6

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

like other said cats mask a problem but doesn't create one....
Sometimes you install a dp to add power and tune it to a point that makes the k04 overspeed and decrease it's lifespan.
If your engine blow-by, reducing the backpressure on the discharge side of the turbo with a DP may let more oil pass thru the turbo seals....Again it isn't because of the DP but because you already have a problem....

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 166
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Step 1: Buy HPFP internals and AP or VT.
Step 2: Send E-Tuner of choice mod list for first base tune.
Step3: Install DP
Step 4: Take data logs and tune.
Step 5: Win
Jeff23spl and Carskick like this.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the replies. My current mods are a Cobb intake, TIP, HPFP, AP, and just the res and 2nd cat delete so yeah im all set with the HPFP. Sadly, I pulled out of the parkway today and noticed a puff of white smoke and same again when i stopped at a stop sign but it went away after driving for a bit and didn't notice anymore smoke at a long ass red light. Im due for an oil change so ill go 5w-40, install a bnoon bolt soon and hopefully install the DP later next week. Also some people say they've had success with a ptp pill but i cant find one anywhere.
 Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,229 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 538
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sooo was it cold out?
 Old 04-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nope. Phoenix weather. Hot as hell outside
 Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

Dennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

I heard going catless solves the smoking problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

JakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

No cats. Fk all the cats.

Cobb AP V3, CBE
CS Turbo tuned by PD
Corksport Catted DP/HPFP Internals
JBR FMIC Pipe Kit w/TR8
CP-E TIP/3.5" Intake
DM OCC/TMM
Forge V2 BPV
Bilstein B8 w/Swift springs
Wilwood 6 pot BBK
EBC RedStuff rear pads
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5"
JakeMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #13

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 58
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JakeMS3 View Post
No cats. Fk all the cats.
What if it's on your foot? You touch it.
 Old 04-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I decided to return the downpipe and not risk fucking anything up(for now). Putting money towards some proper coilovers. Thanks for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to KooshaS For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (04-17-2018)
 Old 04-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #15

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,748 Times in 919 Posts
Groans: 113
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dennisms3 View Post
I heard going catless solves the smoking problems.

You heard that? Must be an attempt at humor.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #16

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I heard ZZB solves the smoking problems.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22's, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Poly FSB Bushings, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC/PCV Plate
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (04-16-2018), Thor Hammer (04-16-2018)
 Old 04-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #17

Hoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the worldHoyoman is the leader of the world
Groans: 42
Not Ranked  0 score     

No balls
2012 black mica MS3 ; 3.5 HTP/ Catless DP/ AT HPFP/ APV2/ FMIC/ GFB BOv/ 3" CBE/ RMM/ XXR 530(18x9 +33)/ NT05 245/40/18/ 3bar map/ 3 port EBCS/ bnrs3/ DO stg2 dvc30/ REAR swaybar/ EBC Yellow/ CS Inj seals/ PNP IM/ Manley H-Beam/ Manley platinum piston 87.5/ soon...... PI+ BNRs6+ 44mm TIAL+ ACT 6 puck

E35 meth d012 26psi 420/451 self tuned/built
Hoyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #18

dealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the worlddealerjohn1 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fag
dealerjohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #19

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 166
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks > Performance

Don't you know?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #20

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,165 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 439
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KooshaS View Post
I decided to return the downpipe and not risk fucking anything up(for now). Putting money towards some proper coilovers. Thanks for the help!
You sound like a faggot.

Scared to install a DP, but all for getting some "proper" coils for what? So you can say you have coils on your car. Shocks/Struts/Springs are a much better combo for a daily, but I guess that doesn't sound as cool to your 14 year old friends.

You should sell the car and put the money towards a proper prius.
Hoyoman likes this.
Thor Hammer (04-17-2018)
 Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #21

greg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 3
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

5w40 rotella T6 fully synthetic. Use it. Never look back.
greg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #22

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Priorities: Get your stance right yo!
Jeff23spl likes this.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22's, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Poly FSB Bushings, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC/PCV Plate
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #23

Enigmaz power is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why do people still troll?
Enigmaz power is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #24
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,229 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 538
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

why do people still have default avatars?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pu Manchu For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (04-21-2018)
 Old 04-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #25

Dennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant futureDennisms3 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Second thoughts on downpipe

Why do people still not have the balls to go catless?

Dennisms3 is offline   Reply With Quote