register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
aspiring turbo guru

08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default shifting problems.. loose trans mount on an 08?

i am having notchy 1-2 shifts and it's driving me CRAZY! i have to move the shifter towards 2nd until it feels 'ready'. the ironic thing is that i can shift 1-2 without grinding or this issue if i shift FAST, but normal shifting sucks. the WOT 1-2 is great...

i've tried:
1) solid bushings
2) adjusted the shift linkage
3) rear motor mount
4) switched to MT-90

the problem persists. i haven't tried looking at the tranny mount - should i do so?

please give thoughts on how to fix!

also, warm versus cold operation doesn't seem to cause any change, and once in awhile the shift is smooth, including right after i adjust the linkage in some cases. i posted a thread awhile ago when i had crap shifting but only when cold. this occurs all the time.

UPDATE i accessed the trans mount today and found that it's sufficiently tight. but the bushing material may be failing. does this look normal? some material is loose/broken/torn but it's thin so perhaps not crucial to the mount function?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.JPG (540.1 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by 08_ms3_gt; 03-12-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added info
08_ms3_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #2

soul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the same issue, and have done the same things minus adjusting the linkage.
My guess is bad synchros, I feel what seems like something rotating, the shifter kinda bumps forward, then it goes into gear with a grind. Pisses me off too.

Mine goes away when it warms up, are you saying yours used to do that but now does it all the time?
soul.survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soul.survivor For This Useful Post:
08_ms3_gt (03-12-2009)
 Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
aspiring turbo guru

08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world08_ms3_gt is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by soul.survivor View Post
I have the same issue, and have done the same things minus adjusting the linkage.
My guess is bad synchros, I feel what seems like something rotating, the shifter kinda bumps forward, then it goes into gear with a grind. Pisses me off too.

Mine goes away when it warms up, are you saying yours used to do that but now does it all the time?
i don't have grinding... yet.

it used to disappear once the car was warm, but now it is a constant issue.

i have a hard time believe it is the synchros - the car only has 16k miles on it!

are bad synchros in second a common issue? i just struggle believing that it could occur so quickly. i do drive the car hard at times, but i can't even think of a time when i had issues in 2nd when beating the car (and thus synchros).
 Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

following up...

i've read that loose tranny mounts can cause crap shifting, but that seems to be exclusive to '07's. someone on a car review site said that they had 1st-2nd problems, found the mount was loosened to 30ft-lb, and tightening it solved the issue.

is this a common issue? seems like others have it. but no fix..

a few suggestions via the shoutbox were using a different trans fluid (wassup said ford xtm5qs) as well as removing the shifter weight. BUT i'm interested in getting to the root cause of the issue; would removing the shifter weight solve the problem or just cover it up???
 Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #5

soul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Someone told me a cobb shifter weight would help but I haven't tried that yet. Mine has been doing this since I bought it new. I saw my tranny mount when I put my intake on last weekend. It didn't look messed up. Yours looks torn. I am going to mention it again when I take my car back to the dealership. I told them the shifting sucked about a month ago, I'm really just waiting for it to get worse before I have them crack open the tranny. I also put in Amsoil tranny fluid and while it made everything smoother, it didn't help this issue. I figure it has to be the synchros.
 Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can anyone else confirm if my mount is bad or just looks a little messed up?

Do I need to replace it? And should I go stock?
 Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

anyone? i see that some of the material is 'torn' but don't know if it's critical.
 Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #8

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 24
Groaned at 81 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the same issue. It gets worse in the winter time and I literally have to keep the shifter in neutral for half a second until I follow through with the shift into 2nd. So 1st, clutch, pause, 2nd, disengage clutch. This is typically at low speed.

The only way it will not do it is if I'm completely 100% off the gas when shifting, which normally results in a slow ass shift into 2nd at slower speeds.
2011 LSM Mazdaspeed 3 Sport w/tech pkg - sold
Silver Ecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Ecstasy For This Useful Post:
08_ms3_gt (03-12-2009)
 Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Silver Ecstasy View Post
I have the same issue. It gets worse in the winter time and I literally have to keep the shifter in neutral for half a second until I follow through with the shift into 2nd. So 1st, clutch, pause, 2nd, disengage clutch. This is typically at low speed.

The only way it will not do it is if I'm completely 100% off the gas when shifting, which normally results in a slow ass shift into 2nd at slower speeds.
have you looked at your trans mount? does it look like mine?

the 'torn' material seemed to be fairly thin and potentially just related to manufacturing as opposed to wear. i have no idea, though. recommendations?
 Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #10

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I haven't looked at my trans mount actually. I was going to check tonight but I was too busy feverishly wiping my seats down with paper towel. Picked up some arby's for me and the girl and this fucking au jous sauce leaked and the bottom of the bag was wet. Thank God it wasn't a huge amount but i'm still paranoid the Alcantara will be stained and my car will stink..FUCK!

I'll tell you this much, when I FIRST installed my CS inserts, it did WONDERS to my car. About 6 months later, they literally feel transparent. You feel the rpms float between shifts and it feels real rocky. I just ordered an AWR 88dur rear motor mount so i'm hoping that helps. Plus it's been real weird in the temperatures lately. I've hesitated to take it to the dealership because I don't want them tearing up the trans and replacing synchros and the car never be the same again. I have had some seriously fucked up service experiences with past cars...I do NOT want to relive those.
 Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll tell you this much, when I FIRST installed my CS inserts, it did WONDERS to my car. About 6 months later, they literally feel transparent. You feel the rpms float between shifts and it feels real rocky. I just ordered an AWR 88dur rear motor mount so i'm hoping that helps. Plus it's been real weird in the temperatures lately. I've hesitated to take it to the dealership because I don't want them tearing up the trans and replacing synchros and the car never be the same again. I have had some seriously fucked up service experiences with past cars...I do NOT want to relive those.
i'm in the same boat - NOT interested in having the dealership take a look b/c of the risk that they'll make it worse than it originally was. i had a similar experience with my last car.

please let me know what you find if/when you look at your trans. mount. i'm confused as to whether or not the 'torn' material i found is indicative of failure. i remember loosh had some pics of his trashed trans mount but i haven't been able to find that thread.
 Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

I definitely will. I'll check tomorrow morning.

This is gonna sound real ignorant, but where exactly would you like me to look? Passenger or driverside is where this mount is?

At this rate, i'm just going to hope it gets disastrously worse so the fix by them is easy as fuck. I don't want them tearing the car apart just because of a hunch that something is up and it gets worse.
 Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

driver's side, you have to remove the battery box to access it.
 Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Crap...I won't be able to do that anytime soon then.

I am hopefully installing a few things on Monday, i'll have time to do that then.
 Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

fuck yea it's indicative of a failure, it's supposed to be one solid piece of rubber with no holes or tears in it. however, i'm not sure if it makes a difference for this problem, that mount is a POS to start with.
 Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

mine looked like that when i took it out
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #17

Meder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the worldMeder is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 10 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have had 2 speeds they all look like that.

The trans mount has to spots pointing to the front and the rear of the car that look ripped, but it seems to be extra material and peels of pretty easy. Take off the black battery box bracket for a closer look next time, its normal.

Check the mount. Jack the transmission up slightly to take the load off of it and make sure the bolt is torqued to 90+. Other than that, bushings, rear mount, sts and my car now shifts great. The biggest difference was a sts and weighted shift knob on te 2nd gear shift. When cold 2nd gear is a hard shift no matter what. It rarely hits 50 here though
Meder is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Meder View Post

The trans mount has to spots pointing to the front and the rear of the car that look ripped, but it seems to be extra material and peels of pretty easy. Take off the black battery box bracket for a closer look next time, its normal.

Check the mount. Jack the transmission up slightly to take the load off of it and make sure the bolt is torqued to 90+. Other than that, bushings, rear mount, sts and my car now shifts great. The biggest difference was a sts and weighted shift knob on te 2nd gear shift. When cold 2nd gear is a hard shift no matter what. It rarely hits 50 here though
no offense, but i hope you're wrong.. lol.

but seriously, my shifting SUCKS. it's nearly all gears now. i've adjusted the linkage, which can help temporarily, but then it gets worse. i hope i'm losing the trans mount b/c, if i'm not, then i may be losing the trans itself.

philly was your trans mount broken?
 Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #19

Arrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Meder View Post

^^^ What he said.
That thin material is just mold flash. It's normal and does not mean the mount is bad. Tears and chunks missing in the thick part of the rubber would indicate failure.
Arrowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
Banned

ptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,743 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 75 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you see any torn material in the thick part of the mount then you need to worry. That looks bad so I would want to see the mount out of the car to make sure that its not starting to tear to the thicker parts of the mount. I don't think that there were any changes in the mount from 07 to 08 other then the bolt.
ptperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

I never got around to checking my trans mount but it is pretty clear that I need a better MM. My Corksport inserts are pretty much gone, there's no evidence they are installed anymore. Infact, I had a buddy drive mine around and he said the same. Compared to his AWR-equipped MS3, my clutch engage point changes with each gear. Not fun!!
 Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #22

Brettasaurus will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I feel fortunate reading this thread.
Brettasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

UPDATE

i've installed a new tranny mount and the initial results are good. the shift issues of before are now gone. i will say that the linkage adjustment seems a bit off, but the mushy/inaccurate/crummy shift feel has left. so far so good!

so it appears as though i've solved the problem but a few days of timing/monitoring will yield a final verdict.

also, the OEM tranny mount did not appear torn completely yet wear was apparent - what looked to be the beginnings of tearing.
 Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Covered under warranty I assume? I'm installing my AWR mount so i'll let ya know how that works out.
 Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #25
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Covered under warranty I assume? I'm installing my AWR mount so i'll let ya know how that works out.
nah i went aftermarket - would rather avoid wheelhop. it prolly would have been covered under warranty but i don't really feel like having the mount replaced only to have the new one fail.
 Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

Understood. Well glad it all worked out for ya! What mount you go with?
 Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #27
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Medieval. i won't commit to saying it's a full solution.. yet. i want to give it a few days to settle in and see how things pan out. double-check bolts, adjust shift linkage, etc.
 Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Makes sense. Keep us posted!
 Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

UPDATE again...

the results are still good. shifting feels much more precise.

the remaining issue appears to be one that i'll always have- when cold, the 1-2 shift is crap for two reasons:

1) the shift OUT of 1st is notchy/sticky/reluctant
2) the shift INTO 2nd is notchy/sticky/reluctant

i don't know why this happens; i've adjusted the shifter to avoid it (moving the white dot further forward on the linkage), but gains are minimal and cause worse shifting on higher gears. things are better once the tranny warms up... any thoughts on this one? i swear i get better results with the white dot further forward yet it's nearly as far as it'll go at this point.

i can skip 2nd gear while the car warms up, but the shift OUT of first is still notchy/sticky/reluctant/annoying as hell. might something be wrong with my shift linkage?
 Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #30

phantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud of
Groans: 12
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

your second gear might be going out, be careful in your first don't downshift to it at all only be in first from a stop, learned my lesson, getting a whole new tranny as we speak my shop sits on a rack waiting for it to arrive

phantomspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phantomspeed3 View Post
your second gear might be going out, be careful in your first don't downshift to it at all only be in first from a stop, learned my lesson, getting a whole new tranny as we speak my shop sits on a rack waiting for it to arrive
not sure if my 2nd is going out - i've been adjusting the linkage to get the 'best' shifting. i can adjust the linkage to get a smooth 1-2 but then other gears have worse shifting. i'm seeking the best possible setup. i moved the linkage tonight and improved the 1-2 and 2-3 but now 4-5 is a little notchy.

IMHO i can't foresee ALL of my gears going bad unless the selector fork is failing... but honestly i'm reluctant as hell to accept the possibility of a bad tranny at less than 20k miles. basically i'm convinced that shifting issues NOW (with MT-90, rear mount, and TMM) must be related to getting the 'right' spot in the linkage.

although it usually shifts nicely while stopped and gets notchy at speed, which could be synchro-related...

i don't really bother trying for 1st unless i'm completely stopped. the lockout is pretty solid.
 Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #32

phantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was completely against problems with my tranny too, I'm at 18000 thousand miles, first and second gone my friend and I know of many more having similiar problems, we're like two transmission reports away from a recall I would say

Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #33
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was completely against problems with my tranny too, I'm at 18000 thousand miles, first and second gone my friend and I know of many more having similiar problems, we're like two transmission reports away from a recall I would say
how did yours go? symptoms, etc.? did you grind often/at all?

mine:
started with crap shifting at low RPM's BUT WOT shifts are still great; mostly 1-2 BUT now 3 and 4 don't like to be rushed
--> rear mount, MT-90, adjusted linkage, added bushings
still had pretty crappy shifting
--> trans mount
less crappy shifting. definitely better than before.

i'll be able to spend some QT with the linkage later this week to see if i can improve things. the fact that i can adjust the linkage and improve certain shifts makes it look like i need to buckle down and find the right setting for it. i watched bioevolve's vid again today for motivation...
 Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

started out missing couple shifts(hardly any, maybe two) so grinded the gear once or twice but basically after some moderate driving started to go into second very clunky like going into gear but not missing or anything, always felt very shaky in second, then over time popped out at random times when downshifting, very shaky in first as well and then my bro took it for a joyride and he can't drive a stick and when he got back second gear wouldn't go in unless under 3000 rpms...

The Following User Says Thank You to phantomspeed3 For This Useful Post:
08_ms3_gt (03-23-2009)
 Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #35
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

started out missing couple shifts(hardly any, maybe two) so grinded the gear once or twice but basically after some moderate driving started to go into second very clunky like going into gear but not missing or anything, always felt very shaky in second, then over time popped out at random times when downshifting, very shaky in first as well and then my bro took it for a joyride and he can't drive a stick and when he got back second gear wouldn't go in unless under 3000 rpms...
well i guess i'll have to adjust further and see if i can find the right linkage setting. if not, i spose i should give consideration to a dealership visit.

i haven't had my 2nd pop out at all.. yet. we'll see what happens. thanks for your thoughts.

the thing that REALLY gets me is how it's possible for transmissions to suck so bad. i learned stick on a bmw with 140k miles and had no issues with mis-shifting or breaking it.
 Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

ya i feel ya, had shifting fork break on my srt-4 three times lol your trans should be under warranty so i'd just take it in man

Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #37
Banned

darkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the worlddarkstarmotorsports is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 08_ms3_gt View Post
Medieval. i won't commit to saying it's a full solution.. yet. i want to give it a few days to settle in and see how things pan out. double-check bolts, adjust shift linkage, etc.
darkstarmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #38

Mickeoj is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

i just got mines an my second does feel like its a little reluctant but i dunno. And ye hes rite not good idea to shift into fist unless u at a dead stop. Last thing i dunno if anyone has this but it seems like my clutch is burning an i have a weird smell to it i mean i dont ride the clutch my shifts are smooth and i boight the car wit like 6000 miles is it still breakin in
Mickeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
aspiring turbo guru

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mickeoj View Post
i just got mines an my second does feel like its a little reluctant but i dunno. And ye hes rite not good idea to shift into fist unless u at a dead stop. Last thing i dunno if anyone has this but it seems like my clutch is burning an i have a weird smell to it i mean i dont ride the clutch my shifts are smooth and i boight the car wit like 6000 miles is it still breakin in
you can try swapping to synthetic fluid - it may help - as well as other changes like motor mounts, shifter bushings, and shift linkage adjustment.

your clutch shouldn't be 'breaking in' at 6000 miles as far as i know. there were a few times when i thought my clutch was burning but i actually think it was a plastic bag that got attached to my exhaust and was burning.
 Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #40

Mickeoj is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

hmmm ok ill give that a try. i also thought it might be glazed but i i have only driven 200 miles unless the owner before me
Mickeoj is offline   Reply With Quote