register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Anubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Cylinder Misfires

Hey all,
Did some research on the forum and found some similar situations to what I'm experiencing but no solid definition on that the issue really is.

Had a misfire in cylinder 1 along with hesitation under load, replaced the coil pack since the spring inside was bent to one side and all of the spark plugs with NGK's - the previous ones looked fouled out.

After doing that, I noticed improvement in my cars conditions under load, however now I am experiencing the hesitation again as well as a misfire in Cylinder 2.

I've read it could be the plugs, coil packs, boost leak or injectors.
Anymore insight would be helpful.

I've attached a log and here our my current mods and vehicle info.
2007 MS6 97k miles.
Timing redone,
NGK spark plugs
Catless Downpipe
Autotech HPFP Internals
Forge V1 BPV
Cobb SR Intake
JBR Turbo Inlet

Thanks in advanced
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog10.csv (7.8 KB, 2 views)
Anubis450 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

missfire dont just mean spark issur, it can be fuel related or compression related or even be the valve that need a good cleaning with a nut blast....

You checked the first thing but next you could follow by a compression test and if your engine isn't worn out, you can check if it happen at cold start or also while running.

A leaking injector let fuel accumulate on the piston and the car get a very bad iddle but usually once that fuel is burned, the engine would recover and run fine. You can check the DIZI pressure when you stop the engine, it should goes from around 450 to above 1000 and stay above 1000 for a while. If it drop after few minutes at rest, it could be an injector.

97k, if you ran the egr for a long while and your turbo smoke a little bit, you could have your intake valve and runner very dirty to the point of not allowing enough air into the chamber. To know about it, you have to remove the intake or try to check with a snake camera....But it is a common problem with direct injection engine and even worse with turbocharged ones.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

flapjack is a splendid one to beholdflapjack is a splendid one to beholdflapjack is a splendid one to beholdflapjack is a splendid one to beholdflapjack is a splendid one to beholdflapjack is a splendid one to beholdflapjack is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

A few questions:

Are you stock tune or on a Cobb OTS tune?
Was your timing redone at a dealer or did you do it?
What gap are your new spark plugs set to?
Do you have any CELs?

Also when you give us a datalog to look at, make sure you do a consistent pull from 3000 RPM to 6000 RPM+ at least. The tiny 900 RPM window of WOT you uploaded isn't worth shit really. I did notice your boost isn't even hitting 15.6 psi which is the stock boost level. I suspect you have a boost leak but it likely isn't the only issue.

Do a boost leak and compression test on all 4 cylinders and report back.

Engine:
\\ JBR Solid RMM \\ AWR PMM \\ TRZ TMM \\ JBR PCV OCC \\ COBB SRI & TIP \\ CPE 3.25" TMIC \\ TurboXS 3" Catless DP \\ 3" Resonated Midpipe Back \\ Autotech HPFP Internals \\ Ford Transit Van Spin-on Oil Filter Adapter \\ Full EGR Delete \\ Throttle Body Coolant Bypass \\ Corksport Injector Seals \\ Greddy Type FV BPV \\

Tuning:
\\Cobb AP V3\\ Stratified Stage 3 E30 Mix S-OTS \\

Suspension/Brakes:
\\ BC Racing BR Type Coilovers \\ StopTech Street Pads F&R \\ Centric Drilled & Slotted Rotors \\ OZ Alleggerita Wheels 18x8 et48 \\
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #4

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

He's in Utah. A slight underboost is likely a result of cold temperatures.
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

Anubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of lightAnubis450 is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
missfire dont just mean spark issur, it can be fuel related or compression related or even be the valve that need a good cleaning with a nut blast....

You checked the first thing but next you could follow by a compression test and if your engine isn't worn out, you can check if it happen at cold start or also while running.

A leaking injector let fuel accumulate on the piston and the car get a very bad iddle but usually once that fuel is burned, the engine would recover and run fine. You can check the DIZI pressure when you stop the engine, it should goes from around 450 to above 1000 and stay above 1000 for a while. If it drop after few minutes at rest, it could be an injector.

97k, if you ran the egr for a long while and your turbo smoke a little bit, you could have your intake valve and runner very dirty to the point of not allowing enough air into the chamber. To know about it, you have to remove the intake or try to check with a snake camera....But it is a common problem with direct injection engine and even worse with turbocharged ones.
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
A few questions:

Are you stock tune or on a Cobb OTS tune?
Was your timing redone at a dealer or did you do it?
What gap are your new spark plugs set to?
Do you have any CELs?

Also when you give us a datalog to look at, make sure you do a consistent pull from 3000 RPM to 6000 RPM+ at least. The tiny 900 RPM window of WOT you uploaded isn't worth shit really. I did notice your boost isn't even hitting 15.6 psi which is the stock boost level. I suspect you have a boost leak but it likely isn't the only issue.

Do a boost leak and compression test on all 4 cylinders and report back.
Sorry guys completely uploaded the wrong log, this one is the right log.
In the log you'll see at 3.3 seconds quite a bit of knock, not sure if its related to engine noise.
I am on a COBB OTS Stage 2 tune. I bought this car about 4 months ago and I added the DP and Internals too it.
The previous owner had a local speed performance shop here do the timing.
It wasn't until about a week or two that it started doing this.
I bought the NGK Iridiums- the gap is at .032
The only CEL I have but I reset it with my AP is the cylinder 2 misfire, last week it was cylinder 1 misfire until I replaced that coil pack.
I will do a a boost leak and compression test this weekend. I have also attached the correct log in the interim.
Thanks for the fast responses!
I know I need to adjust my AFR's and such I have an old version of ATR from years ago that still works, I just cant edit the OTS maps with it unfortunately so I will need to start from scratch and re tune it once I get the following issue(s) resolved.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog12.csv (18.4 KB, 4 views)
 Old 01-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

trifdignn will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gap the plugs at .026 - 0.28 and report back.
trifdignn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trifdignn For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (01-14-2018)
 Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #7

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,732 Times in 905 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by trifdignn View Post
Gap the plugs at .026 - 0.28 and report back.
Agree. .032 is way too large. I'm surprised OP is not getting spark boost blow out. High boost and big gap = boost blowing out the spark, causing misfire.

At stage 2, even .028 may be too large. Set them at .026.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gap fixed it. I put them at .026.
Damn I feel like an idiot.
'
Thanks for all your help!
 Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Marcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

In the random event you experience more misfires or specifically the p0302, lucas oil fuel system cleaner cleared mine up for the past two years or so. There's three bottles available, the mid sized one technically treats up 3 tanks worth of gas so something to consider if you using it is the concentration levels. It'll work though. And you should notice half way through the tank a smoother running engine.
2006 Moist Metallica Silver Speed6 GT #6557 @ 255,000km on the k04. OE block.clutch.trans.
Intake Valves/Fuel Injector's never serviced

Corksport: IC.RMM.TIP.FSB.Tubes.Strut Tower.JBR: 70a Sides.SSP.51r SURE: Dreadnaught.Juggernaught.Anchors.FlowM6.
Hypertech.MS CAI & SRI.Turbosmart DS BOV.Cobb EBCS.AT HPFP.Deatchsworks.CPe SafeSeals.Redline Trans.Diff. Motul Brake Fluid.
H&R Coils.Moog Adj Camber Arms & Ball Joints.Whiteline Adj RSB.SU Rear Interior Brace.StopTech Perf Pads.Centric X-D Rotors.TechnaFit Braided Clutch-Brake Lines.Damond PS Cooler.Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 235/40/18.Drag DR-38 +47. Gloss Black Blue Undercut. Pirelli Sottozero s2 240 215/45/18. MS6 OEMs.

To Install: CS Turbo/IM/DP/3.5 MAP/tubes/OCC, APv3, DM EGR, VG Antennae, SURE Full3 Aeros/Rad Hoses
To Order: Full Race Tubular Exhaust Mani/Vent plate, Stratified Tune
Thinking about: Flowmasters
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Marcus For This Un-useful Post:
Thor Hammer (01-16-2018)
 Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #10

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 143
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
In the random event you experience more misfires or specifically the p0302, lucas oil fuel system cleaner cleared mine up for the past two years or so. There's three bottles available, the mid sized one technically treats up 3 tanks worth of gas so something to consider if you using it is the concentration levels. It'll work though. And you should notice half way through the tank a smoother running engine.
WTF? He just said he fixed it. LOL.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Un-useful Post:
Marcus (01-16-2018)
 Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #11

Marcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
WTF? He just said he fixed it. LOL.
Like I said, in the random event he gets a misfire code again. Reeeelax.
2006 Moist Metallica Silver Speed6 GT #6557 @ 255,000km on the k04. OE block.clutch.trans.
Intake Valves/Fuel Injector's never serviced

Corksport: IC.RMM.TIP.FSB.Tubes.Strut Tower.JBR: 70a Sides.SSP.51r SURE: Dreadnaught.Juggernaught.Anchors.FlowM6.
Hypertech.MS CAI & SRI.Turbosmart DS BOV.Cobb EBCS.AT HPFP.Deatchsworks.CPe SafeSeals.Redline Trans.Diff. Motul Brake Fluid.
H&R Coils.Moog Adj Camber Arms & Ball Joints.Whiteline Adj RSB.SU Rear Interior Brace.StopTech Perf Pads.Centric X-D Rotors.TechnaFit Braided Clutch-Brake Lines.Damond PS Cooler.Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 235/40/18.Drag DR-38 +47. Gloss Black Blue Undercut. Pirelli Sottozero s2 240 215/45/18. MS6 OEMs.

To Install: CS Turbo/IM/DP/3.5 MAP/tubes/OCC, APv3, DM EGR, VG Antennae, SURE Full3 Aeros/Rad Hoses
To Order: Full Race Tubular Exhaust Mani/Vent plate, Stratified Tune
Thinking about: Flowmasters
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote