register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

BigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Leaking Rear diff axle seal

So I was doing an oil change tonight and decided to finally get around to putting the Amsoil I got in my rear diff. Well I get back there and shit looks like it is leaking bad around where the axel meets the case. I have some pictures on my phone from like a month or two ago when I first noticed it. I will post them up later if anyone is interested. I was going to do something about it then but didn't. :phillyb:

Anyway it looked quite a bit worse tonight. Residue all over the driver side diff case, sway bar and surrounding area. I went ahead and drained what was in there, and at least quite a bit came out. Wasn''t like I was running dry or anything. I noticed a decent amount of oily metal dust sludge on the drain plug. The oil smelled a little burnt but was actually pretty clear in color. I filled back up with 1.1 qts of amsoil serever gear so at least I am probably good for now.

So what am I looking at here. Can you just replace the seal or will I need a whole new diff? I really have no idea with this. What am I looking at for repair if its just the seal $$ wise? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks,
cp-e RMM, TMIC, Stiff Diff
AP
KMD V2.whatever
Ebay Catless DP
Grom Ipod
BigjohnB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

BigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just thought I would bump this with some pictures. I just stuck my arm under there and snapped these with the celly so they aren't that great but you get the idea. I really would like someone to chime in with thoughts on this. I did end up calling the stealershiop and dude told me that to replace the driver side rear diff seal would be like $480 labor and then like $30 for the seal itself. I have no idea wether that is outrageous or just high. Based on the fact its a Mazda dealership I am guessing pretty high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110629_204813.jpg (1.78 MB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110629_204819.jpg (1.56 MB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110629_204839.jpg (1.99 MB, 87 views)
cp-e RMM, TMIC, Stiff Diff
AP
KMD V2.whatever
Ebay Catless DP
Grom Ipod
BigjohnB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
RAR

RAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's not a hard job, the part was cheap (I think I snagged two when mine went just 'cause), you have to take the majority of the suspension off the side it's leaking, pull the knuckle off and pop the axle out of the diff, replace the seal then pop it back in and reassemble. The popping back in is hard in a driveway but completely doable. Took maybe 2 hours and 5 beers to get it done.

Find the service manual and it'll show you how to do the job.

Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAR For This Useful Post:
BigjohnB20 (10-31-2011), derek13p (01-28-2014)
 Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
RAR

RAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud ofRAR has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Actually, I had the PDF laying around, I've uploaded it here: http://eiknet.com/diff_removal.pdf

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to RAR For This Useful Post:
BigjohnB20 (10-31-2011)
 Old 10-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #5

Lost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the worldLost hawaiian is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had the same problem with my MS6. I changed it and when i was in there I changed the C clip too. the tech at my dealership said the C clips do wear out on MS6's. plus it is only 4-6 bucks for the clip. Buy lots of beer and Have fun...
Lost hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost hawaiian For This Useful Post:
BigjohnB20 (10-31-2011), SJP0tato (11-07-2011)
 Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Mistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just discovered this issue with my car today. I thank these RAR for his research. Though i don't think he/she is apart of this forum anymore.
Mistersix is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

memin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is really good info , i got check mine as soon i get home!!!
 Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #8

Mistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by memin View Post
That is really good info , i got check mine as soon i get home!!!
I definitely would if i were you. This car is starting to drive me crazy. Every time i get underneath it i find something wrong. If your car is getting up there in miles it may be time to do more frequent inspections.
 Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #9

memin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

yep!! i just hit 60,000 problem free miles ftw. how many miles do you have on yours?
 Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

72k i had no problems till after 60k. The PTO started weeping just after the warranty expired. And now this, not to mention a bunch of other dumb shit that keeps cropping up. P0401 codes, exhaust leaks, visor never stays put, etc. She's just showing age now a days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistersix For This Useful Post:
derek13p (01-28-2014)