register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Docnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,401 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 35
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Mazda replaced timing chain/assembly

For a while I heard a rattling noise on startup, and only when the car was cold. At first, it was occasional and sounded like a loose heatshield, and then it happened more and more. I went to Mazda, had them change the oil, and I told them to look out for the sound. I was afraid it was an engine bearing going bad.

Turns out, on the early models of these engines, they had a problem with the timing chain getting slack and then wobbling itself to pieces. I guess it was very common on the early CX-7s. They replaced the chain and assembly under warranty with an updated version, and the sound went away. Also the car seems to idle a bit better. Just thought I'd inform everyone, in case they were in a similar situation wondering what the fuck was going on.

Any questions, lemme know.
Mazdaspeed SRI, Medieval inlet, Eibach Springs, Magnaflow cbe,
3 ebay catless dp, SU rmm, HKS ssqv, JBR stage 2 ssp
Altered Customs fmic, Autotech fp internals
Cobb AP, Stage 2+ 93 tweaked
Centric blanks, EBC red pads
Lotek center gauge pod: AEM wideband, Autometer boost and volts
Tints, blacked emblems, spec-v front lip, Shark fin
Redline MT-90, ITV-22s, Matt Damond OCC

13.66@102 Lebanon Valley 4/10/11 (sri, tp, rmm, ap)

DO Meth kit waiting on install
Docnox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Docnox For This Useful Post:
06spped6 (02-09-2010), awdfun (01-10-2011), banditscout (01-10-2011), FreeFlyFreak (02-09-2010), TopazM3 (02-21-2010)
 Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #2

06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world06spped6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Man this has me kinda worried mines been making a ticking noise lately. I dont want to go to the dealer right now cause that means uninstalling aftermarket parts but guess i really need to now. thanks for the info.

Cobb CAI : Cobb AP Stage 2 91 : Denso ITV-22 : SU TMIC : SU Testpipe : TS Dualport Bov : SU Boost Tubes : H&R Lowering Springs : Riax 18x9 Wheels : Escta ASX 225/45/18 Still To Come : DevilsOwn Meth Kit : GS BCS
06spped6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 20,954 Times in 5,258 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

theres a TSB for this. its the VVT actuator making the noise.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #4

Jcrey930 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

On an 07 speed 3 when should i get my timing belt changed?
Jcrey930 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,432 Times in 2,757 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its a chain, itll last longer than the rods will.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 06Speed6 For This Useful Post:
FreeFlyFreak (02-09-2010)
 Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #6

Docnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the worldDocnox is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,401 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 35
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06spped6 View Post
Man this has me kinda worried mines been making a ticking noise lately. I dont want to go to the dealer right now cause that means uninstalling aftermarket parts but guess i really need to now. thanks for the info.
I went in with my mods, no problem.
Mazdaspeed SRI, Medieval inlet, Eibach Springs, Magnaflow cbe,
3 ebay catless dp, SU rmm, HKS ssqv, JBR stage 2 ssp
Altered Customs fmic, Autotech fp internals
Cobb AP, Stage 2+ 93 tweaked
Centric blanks, EBC red pads
Lotek center gauge pod: AEM wideband, Autometer boost and volts
Tints, blacked emblems, spec-v front lip, Shark fin
Redline MT-90, ITV-22s, Matt Damond OCC

13.66@102 Lebanon Valley 4/10/11 (sri, tp, rmm, ap)

DO Meth kit waiting on install
Docnox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #7

Jarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 26 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ya my friends dad who is the shop forman at Mazda here called to tell me about it. Said next time i have the engine out of the car we should replace it. He calls it the timing chain death rattle!
Jarods7920 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarods7920 For This Useful Post:
Docnox (02-11-2010)
 Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #8

awdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

dammit!!! my car makes this sound. it's an early 06 model. guess my car will be going in soon...
awdfun is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #9

I<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the worldI<3Groceries is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,278 Times in 632 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 26 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get ready to pay, if you haven't got any warranty.

Meet a giant fish. Fuck his brains out.
I<3Groceries is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold*Scotsman* is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default VVT TSB

Depending on how far past your warranty you are, you might get lucky. I was 5K past my warranty expiration on my '06 MS6 when that happended to me. The service advisors were really cool and went to bat for me. I ended up only paying 1/3 of the cost, as it was a known issue and I had my car in several times previously and it hadn't been discovered. It still cost me $600, but I felt I got off lucky. Good luck with this.

** // 2006 Mazdaspeed6 (BM) //**
// Cobb SRI & TIP // SU TMIC // AWR RMM & Transmission Mount //
// TT Front Motor Mount // JBarone SSP & Bushings // Magnaflow Exhaust //
//Cobb AP Tune // Dashhawk (To scare me!) //
*Scotsman* is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #11

awdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to beholdawdfun is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

i've been out of my mazda warranty for 17K. i bought an extended warranty with my car for 4yrs/100K and it's actually a damn good warranty. i had the egr valve replaced using this warranty and it covered 80%. hope it covers a good portion of this. seems like a pricey endeavor...
 Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

just a quick update. took my car in and it had a bad vvt actuator pin and the timing chain had slack in it. both were replaced. it was $1079 worth of work. my extended warranty charged me a $100 parts deductible and they paid the rest. i got real lucky...

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f106/mazda-replaced-timing-chain-assembly-48488/
Posted By For Type Date
Mazda6 Forum &bull; Toon onderwerp - mps service This thread Refback 12-11-2011 12:35 PM