register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #1

KingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MS6 Cranks but won't start HELP!!!

Hey guys, I got an 06 speed6. I had a code that said crankshaft position sensor, car shut off. Clip broke so got a new clip for it, soldered the connections in, got a new sensor and the special service tool now the car won't start. It cranks but won't start. Tomorrow I'm going to work on it again check fuel and spark but it has me puzzled.
Cobb SRI
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

shnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Assuming you cleared the code and cycled the battery?

Cobb AP V2//HTP 3.5"//CPE Catless DP// Corksport CBE // KMD v2s//HKS VTA//Denso ITV22

H&R Springs//Koni Yellows//Corksport RSB//Megan Ladder Brace//UltraRacing Trailing Braces//Michael Rey Rear Camber Arms// CS + SURE rear diff mounts // JBR RMM/TMM/PMM//JBR SSP//JBR Shifter Weight//JBR Shifter Bushings//JBR Heavy Knob//Optima Red in the trunk//GT Leather seat swap

Tuned by boostcreeep + 9/3 E85 mix

shnouz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

KingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really niceKingJames is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

I did clear the code, left the battery unhooked for about 20 mins, then hooked it back up and tried again but nothing happened. What did you mean?

I cleared the code, but what would the process of cycling the battery be? I unhooked the negative for about 20 minutes then hooked it back up and tried again.
Originally Posted by shnouz View Post
Assuming you cleared the code and cycled the battery?
Cobb SRI

Last edited by KingJames; 03-16-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #4

WetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,203 Times in 3,608 Posts
Groans: 430
Groaned at 247 Times in 83 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What special service tool?

Did you line up the crank position sensor correctly while at TDC?

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
WetzMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by WetzMS3 View Post
What special service tool?

Did you line up the crank position sensor correctly while at TDC?

Yes, in the service manual it says to use a special service tool to align the crank TDC then line up the line on the CPS with the middle of the 20th tooth.
Cobb SRI
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

WetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Yes, in the service manual it says to use a special service tool to align the crank TDC then line up the line on the CPS with the middle of the 20th tooth.
Correct. Do that.

If you replaced the sensor, but did not align it properly, that likely explains your no start issue.

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I aligned it correctly, by following all the instructions and double checked, I'm just not getting spark now. I don't understand what the problem is.

Correct. Do that.

If you replaced the sensor, but did not align it properly, that likely explains your no start issue.
Cobb SRI
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
I aligned it correctly, by following all the instructions and double checked, I'm just not getting spark now. I don't understand what the problem is.
So, you had the TDC pin when you first replaced the sensor? I may be misunderstanding the OP.

If so, have you checked all you soldered connections and made sure they are wired properly?

I haven't ever replaced that sensor via soldering, but that would be my guess as to the issue. Unless you've change anything on the fuel or spark end of things.

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
 Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally it threw the code P0335 and would lose connection every now and then and shut off, then it was because the clip to the CPS would come lose, the clip(pigtail) broke so it was replaced with a new one. After that it wouldn't start. I still would get the code so I got a new CPS, when I originally took off that CPS I didn't have the alignment tool, so I ordered one, and when I got it I used it and aligned the CPS correctly. I soldered all my connections and even checked if I was getting any signal/current and if it was sending anything. It is definitely sending current so that isn't the issue. I double checked all my soldering to make sure nothing was wrong on that end. I'm just not sure what my problem is now, I'm at a loss.
So, you had the TDC pin when you first replaced the sensor? I may be misunderstanding the OP.

If so, have you checked all you soldered connections and made sure they are wired properly?

I haven't ever replaced that sensor via soldering, but that would be my guess as to the issue. Unless you've change anything on the fuel or spark end of things.
Cobb SRI
 Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

frothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,379 Times in 594 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you verify the air gap between the crankshaft and your new CKP sensor?

EDIT: Switched pics (original pic showed a crankshaft from a regular 3/6)

Last edited by frothy; 03-16-2015 at 10:16 AM.
frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frothy For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (03-19-2015), KingJames (03-16-2015), Micha (03-19-2015), WetzMS3 (03-16-2015)
 Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This, I did not, I must have missed this part.
Originally Posted by frothy View Post
Did you verify the air gap between the crankshaft and your new CKP sensor?

Cobb SRI
 Old 03-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just found out there is a break in the engine harness and might possibly have to buy a whole new one.
Cobb SRI
 Old 03-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ouch.

If you go VIP here you could post a WTB thread for it. Someone may have one lying around. Those harnesses are not cheap.

Good luck man.

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
 Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I might have to do that. I have already found some online. Ebay, certified used from an 06 with 60k on it is $200 and then another site said new for around $360, and the shop wants to charge me $492 for it. I might just go ebay, it's from a used parts dealer and says its guaranteed to work. I just don't know for how long.
Ouch.

If you go VIP here you could post a WTB thread for it. Someone may have one lying around. Those harnesses are not cheap.

Good luck man.
Cobb SRI
 Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

scubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the worldscubasteve711 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,034 Times in 437 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

break in the harness? Repair is out of the question?

Go Faster: CorkSport SRI/TIP, SU Test Pipe, SU TMIC, Autotech Internals, ITV22's, Cobb AP
Anti break stuff: Upper Rear Diff Brace, RMM
Appearence: STRI DSD Boost Guage/Blockhead 60mm Guage Pod
scubasteve711 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scubasteve711 For This Useful Post:
mxlplx71 (03-19-2015)
 Old 03-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The shop said they will try to fix it and if not I will have to buy a new one.

Originally Posted by scubasteve711 View Post
break in the harness? Repair is out of the question?
Cobb SRI
 Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #17

shnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the worldshnouz is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the ebay one is from Fatti Motorworks, it will be fine. He is local and is reputable.

Cobb AP V2//HTP 3.5"//CPE Catless DP// Corksport CBE // KMD v2s//HKS VTA//Denso ITV22

H&R Springs//Koni Yellows//Corksport RSB//Megan Ladder Brace//UltraRacing Trailing Braces//Michael Rey Rear Camber Arms// CS + SURE rear diff mounts // JBR RMM/TMM/PMM//JBR SSP//JBR Shifter Weight//JBR Shifter Bushings//JBR Heavy Knob//Optima Red in the trunk//GT Leather seat swap

Tuned by boostcreeep + 9/3 E85 mix

shnouz is offline   Reply With Quote