Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazdaspeed Forums (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/)
-   MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f106/)
-   -   MS6 Cranks but won't start HELP!!! (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f106/mazdaspeed-6-cranks-but-wont-start-help-185703/)

KingJames 03-13-2015 10:09 PM

MS6 Cranks but won't start HELP!!!

Hey guys, I got an 06 speed6. I had a code that said crankshaft position sensor, car shut off. Clip broke so got a new clip for it, soldered the connections in, got a new sensor and the special service tool now the car won't start. It cranks but won't start. Tomorrow I'm going to work on it again check fuel and spark but it has me puzzled.

shnouz 03-16-2015 05:15 AM

Assuming you cleared the code and cycled the battery?

KingJames 03-16-2015 07:26 AM

I did clear the code, left the battery unhooked for about 20 mins, then hooked it back up and tried again but nothing happened. What did you mean?

I cleared the code, but what would the process of cycling the battery be? I unhooked the negative for about 20 minutes then hooked it back up and tried again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shnouz (Post 2834085)
Assuming you cleared the code and cycled the battery?

WetzMS3 03-16-2015 07:32 AM

What special service tool?

Did you line up the crank position sensor correctly while at TDC?

KingJames 03-16-2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetzMS3 (Post 2834184)
What special service tool?

Did you line up the crank position sensor correctly while at TDC?

Yes, in the service manual it says to use a special service tool to align the crank TDC then line up the line on the CPS with the middle of the 20th tooth.

WetzMS3 03-16-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJames (Post 2834187)
Yes, in the service manual it says to use a special service tool to align the crank TDC then line up the line on the CPS with the middle of the 20th tooth.

Correct. Do that.

If you replaced the sensor, but did not align it properly, that likely explains your no start issue.

KingJames 03-16-2015 07:41 AM

I aligned it correctly, by following all the instructions and double checked, I'm just not getting spark now. I don't understand what the problem is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetzMS3 (Post 2834190)
Correct. Do that.

If you replaced the sensor, but did not align it properly, that likely explains your no start issue.

WetzMS3 03-16-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJames (Post 2834196)
I aligned it correctly, by following all the instructions and double checked, I'm just not getting spark now. I don't understand what the problem is.

So, you had the TDC pin when you first replaced the sensor? I may be misunderstanding the OP.

If so, have you checked all you soldered connections and made sure they are wired properly?

I haven't ever replaced that sensor via soldering, but that would be my guess as to the issue. Unless you've change anything on the fuel or spark end of things.

KingJames 03-16-2015 07:53 AM

Originally it threw the code P0335 and would lose connection every now and then and shut off, then it was because the clip to the CPS would come lose, the clip(pigtail) broke so it was replaced with a new one. After that it wouldn't start. I still would get the code so I got a new CPS, when I originally took off that CPS I didn't have the alignment tool, so I ordered one, and when I got it I used it and aligned the CPS correctly. I soldered all my connections and even checked if I was getting any signal/current and if it was sending anything. It is definitely sending current so that isn't the issue. I double checked all my soldering to make sure nothing was wrong on that end. I'm just not sure what my problem is now, I'm at a loss.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WetzMS3 (Post 2834198)
So, you had the TDC pin when you first replaced the sensor? I may be misunderstanding the OP.

If so, have you checked all you soldered connections and made sure they are wired properly?

I haven't ever replaced that sensor via soldering, but that would be my guess as to the issue. Unless you've change anything on the fuel or spark end of things.

frothy 03-16-2015 08:23 AM

Did you verify the air gap between the crankshaft and your new CKP sensor?

http://i60.tinypic.com/11to9c5.jpg

EDIT: Switched pics (original pic showed a crankshaft from a regular 3/6)

KingJames 03-16-2015 08:36 AM

This, I did not, I must have missed this part.
Quote:

Originally Posted by frothy (Post 2834234)
Did you verify the air gap between the crankshaft and your new CKP sensor?

http://i61.tinypic.com/ehc12o.jpg

KingJames 03-19-2015 11:53 AM

Just found out there is a break in the engine harness and might possibly have to buy a whole new one.

WetzMS3 03-19-2015 11:55 AM

Ouch.

If you go VIP here you could post a WTB thread for it. Someone may have one lying around. Those harnesses are not cheap.

Good luck man.

KingJames 03-19-2015 11:58 AM

I might have to do that. I have already found some online. Ebay, certified used from an 06 with 60k on it is $200 and then another site said new for around $360, and the shop wants to charge me $492 for it. I might just go ebay, it's from a used parts dealer and says its guaranteed to work. I just don't know for how long.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WetzMS3 (Post 2837027)
Ouch.

If you go VIP here you could post a WTB thread for it. Someone may have one lying around. Those harnesses are not cheap.

Good luck man.

scubasteve711 03-19-2015 12:32 PM

break in the harness? Repair is out of the question?

KingJames 03-19-2015 03:03 PM

The shop said they will try to fix it and if not I will have to buy a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubasteve711 (Post 2837060)
break in the harness? Repair is out of the question?

shnouz 03-23-2015 05:38 AM

If the ebay one is from Fatti Motorworks, it will be fine. He is local and is reputable.