register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mazdazilla6
  • 1 Post By nindoja

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,836 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default So You Want Better Shifter Cables?

Well I posted this on facebook but that will get lost eventually and not everyone wants to wade through my build thread so I figured I'd post it up here. Thanks to @Trithemius; for pioneering this.

As some of you know I've spent the past few weeks fitting some custom shift cables in my car and I've finally just about wrapped it up so here's everything I've got to say about them. The install is an absolute cunt, and depending on your turbo/intake setup fitment can be quite tight. But it's totally worth it, the shifter feels super notchy and feels very directly connected to the transmission. There's no vagueness in shifting whatsoever. Also, being able to dial in the shifter to just how you want it is awesome. All of the struggle was definitely worth it. This isn't a write up for how to install them, there's already a guide on MSF for that, this is just to tell you what you need to get these on your car. Lastly, for anyone with a 3 reading this, this is for a 6 I have absolutely no clue if this will work for you.

As for what you need, the cables can be custom ordered from Midwest Controls. You have to go into the custom cable configurator on their site (I've attached a photo of what's needed). I used a 57.50" cable length but that was a bit long, 57" or 56.50" might be a bit better.

You will need to reuse the plate that seals the cables on the firewall, the new cables are thicker so you will need to open the seal up like I have in the photo in order to push the new cables through it (this also means you will have to chop up your old cables to get the plate).

In order to get the cables to attach to the shifter and the trans you will need to grind off the welds/rivets on the back of the ball posts on the shifter assembly and the shifter shaft. You'll need to remove the shifter shaft from the trans in order to get the ball posts ground off. Once you get most of the material ground off you can hammer or pull the ball out and you'll be left with a nicely sized hole. Be sure to use washers on both sides of the hole and a nylon lock nut. Another side note, the 3" throw on the cable end is a little long for the left/right control on the shifter, I chopped off a few threads on the end in order to get more adjustment out of it to get it where I needed. I don't think a 2" throw will be long enough but if you're feeling brave give it a shot.

The last piece of the puzzle is the cable bracket that attaches to the trans. This is a bit of a challenge because depending on your turbo/exhaust mani/intake setup will change the dimensions that will work for you on this bracket. In my case I've got a cp-e mani with a 5862 and a 4" intake. The turbo sits very low, almost on the trans and the intake comes out a bit. The photos of the dimensions I've attached will work for a stock turbo, stock TIP setup. If you're in a similar boat as me, you will need to notch the middle of the bracket for the intake to clear and lower the fore/aft cable about an inch towards the bottom of the bracket (see installed photo). I will not be offering brackets for sale, it takes a lot of time to make and get it right.

That should be just about everything you need to know to get it done. It's honestly a lot of work but if you're in need of new cables I wouldn't think twice about it. They're so much better than the stock cables IMO and they were only $130 shipped.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.PNG

image6.JPG

image7.JPG
derek13p and Db09ms3 like this.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-21-2017), dale_gribble (03-09-2017), derek13p (01-28-2019), g00s3y (02-21-2017), Hush (02-21-2017), JSmith (03-08-2017), Thepedigree13 (02-21-2017), Tomas (02-21-2017), Trithemius (02-21-2017), Varomnia (02-21-2017)
 Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

Trithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud of
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice writeup @Mazdazilla6;

I can attest, the shifter feel is very direct, no more 1/2in slop in a bunch of plastic ball joints.

Here's some pictures of what the bracket looks like on a my stock turbo setup, plus some closeups of the cables and ends. Also, I now know that the bracket will fit unmodified with a bnr s3 on stock manifold and a JBR 3in intake, fwiw.

(Glad to see my crappy drawings still being circulated)

Last edited by Trithemius; 04-03-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Trithemius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trithemius For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-21-2017), Hush (02-21-2017), Mazdazilla6 (02-21-2017), Tomas (02-21-2017)
 Old 02-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hotness, this was on my list of fall projects when I pull the car down for the winter next year. Knock on wood mine are currently good, but it was only a matter of time so figured I'd do them prior to failure... I would think we could get a GB going on these and get them down even more and/or package them with a premade bracket as a whole kit.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GroceryGtr For This Useful Post:
Cataphract_40 (02-21-2017)
 Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Cataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the worldCataphract_40 is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,450 Times in 794 Posts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Interested if there's a GB/kit/lazy person version for lazy people like me.

2008 GT MS3 - 307 WHP/338 WTQ
ATP GTX2867R - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb FMIC pipes + Treadstone TR8L - Cobb Catted Turboback - Cobb XLE BPV - Denso ITV22 plugs - Corksport Injector Seals - KMD HPFP - Cobb AP - CP-E RMM - Southbend Stage 3 Enduro Clutch/Flywheel - Bilstein B8s + Swift Springs - SPC Rear Camber Arms - Hotchkis RSB - MD OCC Kit - Enkei RPF1 - Bridgestone Potenza S-04 235/40/18

1995 Miata
Dunlop Direzza Star Specs 185/60/14 - Koyo 37mm radiator - NAPA blank rotors - StopTech Street Performance pads - 949 Racing XIDA CS Coilovers - IL Motorsports suspension bushings - Racing Beat FSB - 949 Endlinks
Cataphract_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just wanted to say I *think* and it's a BIG maybe, that these cables have fixed my second gear decel pop out. The first week that I drove the car with the stock cables it would usually pop out of gear about once a day. Since I've put these on I've driven a couple thousand miles and haven't had the car pop out of gear once.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (03-09-2017), Trithemius (03-08-2017)
 Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

PhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the worldPhillyCheese is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I guess I should do these since the motor is out haha

MOD LIST

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
PhillyCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhillyCheese For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (03-09-2017)
 Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #7

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
Just wanted to say I *think* and it's a BIG maybe, that these cables have fixed my second gear decel pop out. The first week that I drove the car with the stock cables it would usually pop out of gear about once a day. Since I've put these on I've driven a couple thousand miles and haven't had the car pop out of gear once.
Interesting. Any ideas on how it would have fixed it? Only fix I've heard of/seen was reducing shift knob, and trans lever, weights which makes sense because inertia. But no idea how cables could fix it unless the cable was just too short/long, and you weren't actually past the detent mechanism in 2nd or probably any of the other gears toward the rear in the pattern.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aackthpt For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (03-08-2017), Trithemius (03-08-2017)
 Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post
Interesting. Any ideas on how it would have fixed it? Only fix I've heard of/seen was reducing shift knob, and trans lever, weights which makes sense because inertia. But no idea how cables could fix it unless the cable was just too short/long, and you weren't actually past the detent mechanism in 2nd or probably any of the other gears toward the rear in the pattern.
I honestly don't know which is why I'm so hesitant to say it's the cables but it's the only thing on the trans I changed. Maybe they have more drag to them and the trans can't push back on them hard enough to move the shifter? Shift effort is a tad higher than the stock cables.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
Trithemius (03-08-2017)
 Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Trithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud of
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I honestly don't know which is why I'm so hesitant to say it's the cables but it's the only thing on the trans I changed. Maybe they have more drag to them and the trans can't push back on them hard enough to move the shifter? Shift effort is a tad higher than the stock cables.
They definitely have more drag. There's a centering spring in or on the trans for side to side motion at the shifter, and I've noticed the extra drag in the cables cause's it to be less effective. I've never had issues with gears popping out, but extra drag could be plausibly be helping. Could also possibly be due to better engagement from the slop in the cable ends being eliminated.

I used to have a crunchyness on 2nd gear, probably due to worn synchro's, and that seems to be gone or at least minimized greatly with these cables. That could be from shortening the throw, but I think the tighter, more consistent motion of the whole assembly could be helping.
Mazdazilla6 (03-09-2017)
 Old 03-09-2017, 04:29 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PhillyCheese View Post
I guess I should do these since the motor is out haha
Oh yea having the engine out would make this soo much easier. Well maybe not the inside portion haha

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
 Old 03-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #11

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe they have more drag to them and the trans can't push back on them hard enough to move the shifter? Shift effort is a tad higher than the stock cables.
Originally Posted by Trithemius View Post
They definitely have more drag. There's a centering spring in or on the trans for side to side motion at the shifter, and I've noticed the extra drag in the cables cause's it to be less effective.
OK, thanks guys, I agree that more drag in general could do it. Does that make shifting slower, or very much harder? Do you think the extra drag is just a new-cable thing and they will wear in so it is lessened? Do you think there is any possibility the cables might wear out quickly due to whatever is causing the drag?
The Following User Says Thank You to aackthpt For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (03-09-2017)
 Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #12

nindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,123 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well maybe not the inside portion haha
*shudders*
Mazdazilla6 likes this.
Brakes: Hawk HPS pads // ATE Superblue fluid // Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Other: CP-e Safe Seals // MattDamond shift plate // Masonvi shift knob // 3.5" WP w/recirc // RSB // IM + TB tigs // Synapse Engineering FMIC + BOV // Autotech internals
Tune: hypnotic tuned

Critical Stats:
// 305whp/352tq
// 13.34 @ 98 - Mason Dixon Dragway - 4/13/14

Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Damond Motorsports: OCC // Short shift plate // Turbo oil feed restrictor bolt
Other: Autotech internals // Ebay M2 DP // Masonvi shift knob //
nindoja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nindoja For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (03-09-2017)
 Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

OK, thanks guys, I agree that more drag in general could do it. Does that make shifting slower, or very much harder? Do you think the extra drag is just a new-cable thing and they will wear in so it is lessened? Do you think there is any possibility the cables might wear out quickly due to whatever is causing the drag?
I don't feel like I shift any slower and I ffs a good amount. I don't think there's really a break in period, they still feel the same as when I put them on. These cables are beefy, I don't see them ever wearing out.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Grimmspeed = EBCS
 Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #14

dmclngn811993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

BUMP!! anyone knows if this fits a ms3?
dmclngn811993 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #15

Db09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 94
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You'll have to measure your cables and fabricate the bracket.

Anything fits if you're brave enough