register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree8Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

jracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,917 Times in 657 Posts
Groans: 89
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Wheel bearing

Need to replace my front wheel bearings . I am at 103xx miles .
Do you think I will need hubs ? I am thinking just bearings ..
MAP modified 3" Magna Flow cat back
MAP catless testpipe
MAP UICP
Grimmspeed 3 port
Cosworth filter
SSP relay kit
TWM Desert Eagle shift knob
AEM wideband gauge
Prosport boost gauge
EvoX piller pod
30%Tint
Slowpoke Tuned 339hp/336tq

**** SOLD *****
2006 speed6

" A woman's asshole is like a 9-volt battery..U know its wrong, but sooner or later ur gonna put ur tongue on it !! "
jracer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #2

Matx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If your going to do this do a HOW-TO
14 Wrangler

Originally Posted by backward_0 View Post
.... I will be more than happy to fuck your world off....
Matx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matx For This Useful Post:
JacksonMS30 (02-22-2012), mr.speedy3 (11-20-2014), Neverlift (06-06-2012)
 Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Daily Driver

Nitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,427 Times in 757 Posts
Groans: 52
Groaned at 82 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

im think replacing hub will be best i was told there is a risk of doing bearings and that it might vibrate.
Nitr0EngiE is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,388 Times in 7,871 Posts
Groans: 793
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think you'll be hard pressed to find just the bearing.
You'll likely have to buy the entire hub with abs sensor and all.
I feel sorry for your asshole.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
IshiKage (02-22-2012), super_pablo_ (04-05-2013)
 Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Matx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
I think you'll be hard pressed to find just the bearing.
You'll likely have to buy the entire hub with abs sensor and all.
I feel sorry for your asshole.
Bearings are easy to find its the HUB thats a bitch.
14 Wrangler

Originally Posted by backward_0 View Post
.... I will be more than happy to fuck your world off....
Matx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matx For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (02-22-2012)
 Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
I have candy in my van

MATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,278 Times in 1,154 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

I've done a front wheel bearing on my old MS6.

You can buy just the bearing, for around $55, no need to replace the hub. If you're doing it yourself, you'll need an impact gun to loosen the hub nut(36mm IIRC), and the 2 lower ball joint nuts(22mm IIRC).

You'll need a press to get the bearing out. First press out the hub from the spindle/bearing, then the bearing from the spindle.

This will almost certainly happen, where the inner race is stuck on the hub:

You basically want to cut into the race, deep enough to crack it with a chisel. This is all pretty well explained in the shop manual for the MS6.

Remember to buy new hub nuts.

MATT DAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MATT DAMOND For This Useful Post:
Constantin (11-05-2013), jracer (02-23-2012), rb25guy (11-06-2014), super_pablo_ (04-05-2013), Tokay444 (02-22-2012)
 Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sweet.
That actually makes me really happy.
Fuck all the one piece bull shit.

I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #8

jracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks Matt !!!!
MAP catless testpipe
MAP UICP
Grimmspeed 3 port
Cosworth filter
SSP relay kit
AEM wideband gauge
Prosport boost gauge
EvoX piller pod
30%Tint

**** SOLD *****
2006 speed6

" A woman's asshole is like a 9-volt battery..U know its wrong, but sooner or later ur gonna put ur tongue on it !! "
 Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

ordered a OEM mazda bearing..$80 bucks shipped
could have gotten it cheaper from NAPA or another place but its a job i dont wanna do again.. so ill get the good stuff !
I am pretty sure its the front right so ill try that first and if the noise doesnt go away ill do the other side..
MAP catless testpipe
MAP UICP
Grimmspeed 3 port
Cosworth filter
SSP relay kit
AEM wideband gauge
Prosport boost gauge
EvoX piller pod
30%Tint

**** SOLD *****
2006 speed6

Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #10

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,693 Times in 980 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

fuck mazda parts. i bought it from bumper-2-bumper, works like a champ. paid $50 to get the bearing swapped once i had the spindle out. $110 with tax and all.

You can loosen that nut without air tools, just need leverage or smarts. I put a breaker on it and used a jack to turn the breaker bar.
ConnerSpeed6 likes this.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xfeejayx For This Useful Post:
jracer (02-25-2012)
 Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,561 Times in 2,807 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cheap wheel bearings arent cheap when it craps out and your hub welds itself to the spindle. Dont ask me how I know that.

I only use Timkin or oem.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06Speed6 For This Useful Post:
jracer (02-25-2012), laxplayermjd (02-26-2012)
 Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
I have candy in my van

MATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
fuck mazda parts. i bought it from bumper-2-bumper, works like a champ. paid $50 to get the bearing swapped once i had the spindle out. $110 with tax and all.

You can loosen that nut without air tools, just need leverage or smarts. I put a breaker on it and used a jack to turn the breaker bar.
I broke 2 breaker bars. Use air tools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MATT DAMOND For This Useful Post:
06Speed6 (02-25-2012), jracer (02-25-2012)
 Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Noddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond reputeNoddaford has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 13
Groaned at 48 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Unless it's that cheap China crap, it doesn't matter rather it's from Mazda or NAPA or where ever. It will be the same bearing.
Noddaford is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
I have candy in my van

Not Ranked  0 score     

LOL I just remembered that the warranty I had covered wheel bearings. My dealer knew I tracked my car, and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of "tracking caused them to fail, warranty void" so I did it myself.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #15

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,693 Times in 980 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MATT DAMOND View Post
I broke 2 breaker bars. Use air tools.
Buy better tools.

Obviously if you have air use it. But you should at some point use a wrench to tighten, with torque specs and all.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,752 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

For future searching-

Speed6 front wheel bearing - Timken part# 510063
I found the pair for $67 shipped/38 each

TIMKEN BALL BEARING,510063 - WheelBearingWarehouse.com
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
iLLin (04-21-2013), jracer (06-03-2012), laxplayermjd (06-03-2012), Neverlift (06-06-2012), Nitr0EngiE (12-07-2012), phate (10-29-2012), Tokay444 (06-03-2012)
 Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Banned

mczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

well my front bearings are shot.... mechanic wants 588.71+tax....
mczimer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,991 Times in 8,187 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

I felt like a fuckin idiot when Greg and I did my brakes earlier this week. Im thinking the wheel bearing was just like domestics, so i will simply remove it and repack it... Spun off the 23mm hub nut only to find zelcho.. Fuckin Fail.. Figured out the hub needed to come off... Fuck that... Bearing Repack Mission... Aborted.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
UnknownSuperhero (09-15-2012)
 Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Banned

mczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

INFO FOR PEOPLE IN THE FUTURE:

Wheel bearing choices for the MS6:
Timken 510063Timken 510063
National/MOOGNational/MOOG

**KEY IS 510063 - AWD

I paid 25 bucks each from ebay to my door. Also, the front wheel bearings seem to only be sold seperately, and not as a hub/bearing kit, unless you go OEM. Also, the rear bearings are availible as a kit for Timken/National/MOOG.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mczimer For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (09-23-2013), Constantin (07-31-2013), jracer (09-20-2012), memin (10-30-2013), TiGraySpeed6 (09-18-2012), Tokay444 (09-18-2012)
 Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup, rock auto has timken, national and skf.
Just wondering how much the dealer would have charged if it wasn't warranty work.
There should still be a price breakdown on the receipt.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Currently my car sounds like metal popcorn in the wheel-well...can it cause further damage to the hub or other components if I keep driving for another week? I am not able to get it into a shop to use a press until next saturday, so I need some good advice here.
 Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #22

Baloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the worldBaloo is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mczimer View Post
Currently my car sounds like metal popcorn in the wheel-well...can it cause further damage to the hub or other components if I keep driving for another week? I am not able to get it into a shop to use a press until next saturday, so I need some good advice here.
Yes... you can do much more damage. Best case is the bearing packs up and you have to replace the hub along with the bearing. Worst case is the wheel and hub take off when driving and you get the fun task of replacing the brake rotor and whatever else got ruined when the wheel took off.
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #23

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Considering the castle nut holds the assembly together, if it separates you've really fucked up

Start shopping cost for hubs. About 40% of the time the hub gets replaces because it's damaged when trying to press out the bearing that has seized itself into the hub.

Bonus, if you get hubs you can have the bearings pressed in advance and just swap out the hubs. Only take about an hour, and would suggest an alignment afterwords...
340hp / 371tq
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
mczimer (09-20-2012)
 Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
Considering the castle nut holds the assembly together, if it separates you've really fucked up

Start shopping cost for hubs. About 40% of the time the hub gets replaces because it's damaged when trying to press out the bearing that has seized itself into the hub.

Bonus, if you get hubs you can have the bearings pressed in advance and just swap out the hubs. Only take about an hour, and would suggest an alignment afterwords...
Any suggestions for hubs? I have only found Dorman and OEM....
DORMAN Part # 930004 ~80 each
OEM Part #GP9A33060A ~$115 each
I was under the impression Hubs would not need to be replaced, but it would be good to have them on hand in case the stockers are damaged...
 Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

damnit, now I'm not positive if it's knuckle or hub.....
I want to say hub, and that's what I remember reading about

But, I was thinking knuckle when I typed up my previous post...

061 is the hub,
020 is the knuckle

3300A - FRONT AXLE. Fits: 2006 Mazda MazdaSpeed6 | Jim Ellis Mazda

340hp / 371tq
 Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #26

trf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,432 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Harbor freight sells a tool set to service these type of bearings without a press. It basically uses a big nut and bolt to manuever them in and out of the knuckle. I have done them on the car without removing the knuckle with this tool, assuming you have enough room with the wheels turned to get the axle out of the knuckle.

Took about 2.5 hours and only cost me the 80 bucks for the tool and the 60 or so for the bearing. You can also use a slide hammer and a socket to get the hub out of the bearing.

trf5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trf5000 For This Useful Post:
Don06speed6 (09-22-2012)
 Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Having an O SHIT moment... my car is at the shop to get the bearings swapped, and I just got a call saying the left front axle is not releasing from the hub... which would mean I would have to buy a new hub and a new axle!

Ideas, help me please. The shop guy says this is common for mazdas, on this very spot apparently....
 Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not sure what to tell ya- you're paying "pros" to do the work so you don't have to deal with these kinds of issues.

Spin the nut back on upside down so the big ass washer part of the bolt is flush with the end of the axle, have one person pulling out on the knuckle to keep some of the impact from being transferred to the trans, and smack/shock the hell out if it with a pony sledge.

do not apply heat to the axle, that will swell the axle & make it worse.
340hp / 371tq
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
mczimer (09-21-2012)
 Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

The mechanic managed the get the fucker off... hopefully I can drive around now!
TiGraySpeed6 likes this.
 Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Yes... you can do much more damage. Best case is the bearing packs up and you have to replace the hub along with the bearing. Worst case is the wheel and hub take off when driving and you get the fun task of replacing the brake rotor and whatever else got ruined when the wheel took off.
You'd have to sheer the axle off for the wheel to come off.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 09-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Just to update, I bought National bearings, which are 100% identical to MOOG and TIMKEN. I bought them on eBay from the following seller: Gage40981

I received them without the individual boxes, but still wrapped, which was not a biggie, but I told the seller, and the guy responded by giving them to me & refunding the entire purchase.... Recommend this seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/National-USA...item4844c2bc16
57 shipped for two of them!

Last edited by mczimer; 09-23-2012 at 03:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mczimer For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (09-23-2013)
 Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
Banned

Jonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the world
Groans: 43
Groaned at 111 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

what requires you to change them? i still have a wheel tick. lol
Jonny Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jonny Quest View Post
what requires you to change them? i still have a wheel tick. lol
Thumpy feel in pedals while crushing, ticking noise, metal popcorn from wheels... If you put all 4 wheels in the air and put the car in 1st gear makig all 4 wheels spin, you can put a stethoscope to the hub and hear if it's not smoothly turning too...
 Old 09-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #34
Banned

Jonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the worldJonny Quest is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mczimer View Post
Thumpy feel in pedals while crushing, ticking noise, metal popcorn from wheels... If you put all 4 wheels in the air and put the car in 1st gear makig all 4 wheels spin, you can put a stethoscope to the hub and hear if it's not smoothly turning too...
looks like im changing those when i go in for rods lol
 Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #35
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wub wub wub wub faster and faster with speed.
tbcota25 likes this.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #36
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Wub wub wub wub faster and faster with speed.
mine isn't faster with speed its constant speed but it gets louder...
 Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #37
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Same difference. Do what I said above and listen
 Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #38

IlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond reputeIlleztImportz has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll be replacing my wheel bearings this weekend. I'll just be removing the hub and taking it in to a machine shop to have pressed in. Bought my bearings from wheelbearingwarehouse as @TiGraySpeed6 mentioned. $67 shipped for 2.

I'm not getting a 'popcorn/tick' sound though, instead it sounds more like a low 'drone' that starts at about 30-35mph and only gets louder the faster I go. From my experience, if you have the car in the air and shake/wiggle the wheel at 12&6 o'clock you could determine if its a bad bearing. Unfortunately mine doesn't budge but hopefully the new wheel bearings will fix it

Last edited by IlleztImportz; 09-23-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: correction
IlleztImportz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IlleztImportz For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (09-23-2012), Tokay444 (09-24-2012)
 Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #39
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cost is $57 shipped if you buy from the seller I noted above... but to all his own, good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to mczimer For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (09-23-2012)
 Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #40
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

24-34 bucks in rock auto.
Get the retaining clip too. 2.49

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f106/wheel-bearing-105904/
Posted By For Type Date
Weird noises - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 07-10-2013 12:09 PM