register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

Mid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 14 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Blow Through MAF

This is news to me. I found the thread with the list of how-to articles (nice by the way) and there is nothing in there about this topic. I did a general search but got less than satisfactory results. Can someone please point me to the best article/thread on the topic?
Something that with a little luck explains all aspects of what else needs to be changed? I'm fairly sure the tuning goes out the window and given the factory turbo's oil blowby issues it would not be a good idea to do it without also doing an upgrade to a more reliable turbo, but are there any other things to watch out for?
Mid_Life_Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,379 Times in 7,868 Posts
Groans: 792
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The turbo blow by has nothing to do with the turbo.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,632 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

And even less to do with running a blow through MAF.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
2zz mr-s

dooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,645 Times in 1,903 Posts
Groans: 239
Groaned at 352 Times in 214 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hahaha. Blow thru maf setup, just a fancy way of saying how can I vta
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the second rule is "don't tell anyone"
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the first rule of tranny fucking is "don't do it"
dooderek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dooderek For This Useful Post:
manelscout4life (08-30-2011)
 Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #5

Mid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the worldMid_Life_Crisis is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but the stock turbo leaks oil. I rather doubt all of it goes out the exhaust. This is a problem if the MAF is downstream from the turbo is it not? A bigger problem may be the crankcase crud getting recirculated through the intake though, or would a catch can effectively eliminate that issue?
Meanwhile, other than politely (thank you for that) pointing out that I may be wrong about the turbo, does anyone have answers to the other points?
I rather prefer the idea of reading the air volume as close to the manifold as possible as the whole bit about reading air so early in the process then dumping the excess back into the system has always bothered me. It just seems logical that it would be more accurate and therefore beneficial to take the reading as close to the point of fuel injection as you can, which means the closer you can get to the inlet of the manifold, the better. I'm sure there is a flaw in this logic somewhere due to some piece of knowledge I am missing, but the only way to learn is to risk sounding like a fool and asking the question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mid_Life_Crisis For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (08-30-2011)
 Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,381 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

no....no...and no

recirc occurs post MAF....maf accounts for this error...hence why shit gets fucked if you go VTA

search for oil catch cans and pvc upgrades

and if you are talking about going off map only.....well i think some people have looked into this....but that is old school man....cars are going to MAF for a reason....my guess would be because it is better.....but im no smarty pants

Last edited by TRex; 08-31-2011 at 05:15 AM.
TRex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRex For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (08-30-2011)
 Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

The turbo doesn't leak oil when it's fed the correct volume at the correct pressure. Aside from being too small for any substantial power outputs, there is nothing wrong with the turbo. Even if you're blowing smoke in most cases.

I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (08-30-2011)
 Old 08-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
recirc occurs post MAF....maf accounts for this error...hence why shit gets fucked if you go VTA
This I knew. I just don't think it is an ideal way to keep an accurate a/f ratio. I envision the air following that path and just don't see it being exactly ideal.

search for oil catch cans and pvc upgrades
and if you are talking about going off map only.....well i think some people have looked into this....but that is old school man....cars are going to MAF for a reason....my guess would be because it is better.....but im know smarty pants
No, definitely not. I'm just thinking that, as I said before, the closer to the injection point you measure the air volume, the more accurate the mix should be. I'm just wondering exactly what is involved in a conversion of this type.
 Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Unless you have a leak in the system, all the metered air is gonna get where it needs to be, and all the fuel that's been calculated will be utilized. If there's isn't enough, fuel will be trimmed out when your o2 sensor reads richer than commanded. If you're getting more air in somewhere, your ecu will add more fuel to prevent a lean condition. In a blow through system, it seems that tracking down any such leak or even knowing there is a problem would be much more difficult.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thinking about it, it seems to me that if the sensor were located immediately before the manifold, a leak prior to it would be harmless in terms of A/F ratio. You are monitoring the air at a point where it is pretty much impossible for a leak to occur after the reading is taken. The only indication you would have of a leak prior to it is a drop in boost pressure and the associated loss of power. Of course, good luck finding the leak. You would have to check every connection in the system.
 Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #11

darth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

As I see it, the "prejudice" against draw-through goes back to when turbo cars had carbs on them and designers thought that they could build a system that drew air in at close to atmo but still could fuel for the post-carb boost. This resulted in lousy driveability and fuel mileage. Hence, pressurising the carb became the smarter choice, as the whole system saw the same pressure. Blow-through MAFs are an extension of this think and MAY have had a bit of a place when ECUs had limited computing power and fuel trimming with the O2 wasn't really all that good on the narrow-band O2s in use.

On a new DI car with modern engine management, it doesn't matter squat how the air gets into the engine. We don't have to worry about fuel puddling, dropout, blah blah. The engine gets what it needs right at the chamber. The same air that went by the MAF is still there at the chamber end. The wideband is trimming the fuel constantly on the fly to keep the CL operation as efficient as possible.
darth vader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darth vader For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (08-31-2011)
 Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd personally rather look down at my dashhaw and know that something is wonky with my trims, than wait for an obviously loss in power to tell me I have a leak.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 08-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

To Darth: ...and I am definitely an old dog. I remember when turbocharging first got big as an aftermarket mod in the 70's. Blowthrough with carbs was actually a pain in the neck because carbs don't have the right seals for it. They leaked like a seive. The two options were to either do the incredibly difficult job of rebuilding them appropriately or they would encase the entire carb in a sealed enclosure so the whole thing was pressurized, not just the intake. That way you only had to seal the throttle linkage flex point. But if you did a draw through, you needed to rebuild the turbo to be able to handle a gas/air mix without getting eaten up by the gasoline. What fun it was back then. High pressure electronic fuel injection made turbocharging so much easier.
 Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #14

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

^i guess i am confused why you would be drawing the air/fuel mix through the turbo ever? why would the turbo be post mix point?
 Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #15

XRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Draw through carbs were very popular and still are with the muscle car guys. You don't need a special carb or the $$ to swap to EFI.

Ideal? Definitely not, but it's cheap and works for someone who just wants a bit of boost on their older motor.

If you search draw through carb you can find lots of info on it.

2013 Focus ST
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
XRJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some of the kits had what amounted to a huge diverter valve that you bolted to the manifold then the carb went on top of that. At low rpms the fuel/air mix went straight through, but as the turbo started to spool up, it went through the compressor and then to the manifold. The most outrageous one of these I ever saw pictures of was a Chevy 302 with the dual carb crossram manifold and dual turbos. Each exhaust manifold spun the turbo that fed the ram to the opposite side, so they were effectively self equalizing.
 Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,548 Times in 2,798 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The MAF reading is functionally the same in either location, there is more turbulence from the turbo and depending on its location it may need a straightener. The IAT reading will also be wrong since it will not be reading temps pre turbo.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 06Speed6 For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (09-01-2011)
 Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #18

XRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond reputeXRJoe has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06Speed6 View Post
The MAF reading is functionally the same in either location, there is more turbulence from the turbo and depending on its location it may need a straightener. The IAT reading will also be wrong since it will not be reading temps pre turbo.
How easy would it be to tune the tables related to the IAT? You could also just pull the wires (I'd assume the two outside?) and place an IAT pre-turbo. I'm not sure what the ECU uses the IAT in the MAF for since BAT's I feel would be everything the fueling is based on unless there is a huge difference between the two indicating a problem.

Also, putting the MAF closer to the TB may give a bit more response since the metered air is entering the engine sooner. You don't have the delay it takes to go through the turbo, TMIC, etc. Whether it makes a difference or not...

2013 Focus ST
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
XRJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

i would think major tuning would be required...

the maf in its current location is used to seeing a set mass flow right?

so if you put it post turbo....due to the pressure increase and then the sudden volume increase you have a volumetric flow rate increase post turbo right? so mass flow would be higher?

or is it same pre and post turbo?
 Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

We know there is a table or tables that take into account IAT, boost, and the MAF reading among other things to determine how much fuel is required to make the desired mixture. IAT may not matter so much here (a/f ratio) because the MAF is reading the actual air quantity coming into the system, so the relative density change due to temperature variations may not matter so much. It would be interesting if we could get the opinion of someone from Cobb that really knows the ECU inside and out. Would some careful driving rewrite the system to work in the new layout?

Last edited by Mid_Life_Crisis; 09-01-2011 at 08:33 AM.
 Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If density affected MAF readings then elevation changes would also skew it. The maf only reads the cooling effect of the air and provides a voltage for the amount of air passing it. That voltage is then referenced in a table to provide the amount of air metered.

Neither speed or density are directly calculated by the MAF.

I know some guys leave their maf in preturbo for the IAT part and use a second MAF post turbo for the actual MAF reading.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #22

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mid_Life_Crisis View Post
We know there is a table or tables that take into account IAT, boost, and the MAF reading among other things to determine how much fuel is required to make the desired mixture. IAT may not matter so much here (a/f ratio) because the MAF is reading the actual air quantity coming into the system, so the relative density change due to temperature variations may not matter so much. It would be interesting if we could get the opinion of someone from Cobb that really knows the ECU inside and out. Would some careful driving rewrite the system to work in the new layout?
If you have ATR you already have everything you need to get it working. Moving the MAF sensor into a blow through conifguration doesn't reqire any changes to the ECM except for a new MAF calibration.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
 Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
Speeeeeed

Not Ranked  0 score     

You should only need a new calibration if the housing or sensor is different.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

A hot wire MAF exposes the sensor element to the intake airflow, and monitors the current required to maintain the wire at temp, the density(and temperature) of the incoming air directly effects the cooling effect it has on the wire...

Moving the MAF post turbo increases the air temp at the sensor as well as the charge density..

In a perfect world the MAF output would be very similar in either location, as your simply changing intake air velocity for charge air density. But, in the real world you have pressure drop and compressor effiency to skew the MAF output--couple that with the non-linear output of the sensor itself and the fact your now operating at far higher densities than it was designed for. I would expect to see the blow through MAF output diverging significantly lower as the charge density increased.. Which I imagine is why people often resort to a blow through setup once they peg the MAF output in OEM location..
 Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06Speed6 View Post
If density affected MAF readings then elevation changes would also skew it. The maf only reads the cooling effect of the air and provides a voltage for the amount of air passing it. That voltage is then referenced in a table to provide the amount of air metered.

Neither speed or density are directly calculated by the MAF.

I know some guys leave their maf in preturbo for the IAT part and use a second MAF post turbo for the actual MAF reading.
hmmmm.......if all the MAF does is measure a cooling affect...wouldnt things like humidity and ambient air temp need to be taken into account? as they would change by the hour?
 Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

hmmmm.......if all the MAF does is measure a cooling affect...wouldnt things like humidity and ambient air temp need to be taken into account? as they would change by the hour?
Baro is accounted for in the ecm, the IAT is in the MAF, and humidity can be compensated for within the fuel trims...
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
06Speed6 (09-02-2011)
 Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

^well how about that then haha that is pretty crazy....

so it is making some sort of calculation on amount of air moving just from convection cooling? that is really pretty cool....haha technology is cool
The Following User Says Thank You to TRex For This Useful Post:
ScarMS3 (09-02-2011)
 Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Just convert to speed density and write your own fuel mangangment programs around that and run 11's. No sweat.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (08-10-2012), ScarMS3 (09-02-2011)
 Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #29

bcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,412 Times in 532 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

i keep lookng at this thread wanting more info on a blow through maf lol

06 Speed6 GT- Sold

Originally Posted by djuosnteisn View Post
just bang out the tight spots.
bcmurphy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bcmurphy87 View Post
i keep lookng at this thread wanting more info on a blow through maf lol
Not really much to it. Move MAF. Re-Cal MAF. Done.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
BlueStreak (09-29-2011)
 Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #31

bcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

really just thats it? then running vta would be ok? currently trying to reroute pipes to get this 35r in a happy place since i didnt go top mount

06 Speed6 GT- Sold

Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

really just thats it? then running vta would be ok? currently trying to reroute pipes to get this 35r in a happy place since i didnt go top mount
Yep, hardest part would be finding a nice straight section of the charge piping to put the MAF in--an air straightener in the MAF housing would probably be a good idea also.
 Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

couldnt you just use the maf housing of a sri? and fab a tubing onto that?
 Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
Speeeeeed

Not Ranked  0 score     

You can also just buy a specially designed maf housing, there are alot of ways to do it.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

any suggestions for an air straightener

06 Speed6 GT- Sold

Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Considering that the location is pressurized, what rating should the MAF be upgraded to?
 Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

any suggestions for an air straightener
Honeycomb for MAF

Originally Posted by Mid_Life_Crisis View Post
Considering that the location is pressurized, what rating should the MAF be upgraded to?
You don't upgrade the MAF, you use the OEM sensor in a different size housing..

Weld on MAF adaptor for 2.75"~3.25" piping.
 Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #38

Qwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the worldQwik6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Been there. Done that.

Did it on my speed6 when I had it almost 2 years ago. Ran it for a few months like that before I sold it. The car loved it. I barely had to do anything special to the MAF tables. Plus I could run VTA with no issues.

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Qwik6 For This Useful Post:
BlueStreak (09-29-2011), ESB Jiu JItsu (08-10-2012), jonlax (09-14-2011), phate (08-13-2012), TRex (08-10-2012)
 Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #39

ESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

IM surprised you were able to get away with so little piping pre and post MAF! love the setup though, very clean. What is hooked up on the silicone coupler right on the TB and maf pipe?
-2.75 Blow Through MAF/Custom CXracing FMIC&BOV/Fujita SRI/AEM dryflow/PG TIP/SLS TP/Exhaust Delete/NGK LTR7IX11 plugs/ TB Coolant BP/Bat->Trunk Relocation/JBR egr delete
-TWM Stage 2 Short Shifter/JBR Weighted Shift Knob/TWM 4in Shifter Extender
-Emil Drilled/Slotted rotors/Hawk HP Pads/Clutch Pedal Mod/Shift Counter Weight Mod
-Custom Vented Hood/Custom Front Bumper/Emblem delete/Prosport Mech. boost gauge
ESB Jiu JItsu is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

looks like meth post maf

very cool setup

still dont see the huge advantage with blow through but neat none the less

Last edited by TRex; 08-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.