register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree6Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #41

pwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
I like that routing, but I would have both cans VTA.
Why?

The one routing provides vacuum while cruising and the other releases excess pressure under boost.

Both VTA on a S4 is overkill.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f542/pwdunmore-s-2012-a-150456/
pwdunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #42

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The check valves I've seen have a somewhat small orifice to allow GOOD flow for pressure release.

The non-vented can does nothing when in boost. The air in those lines is stagnant. If the can was vented, with a check valve on the filter of course, it can then play a role in venting crankcase pressure.
Is there such a thing as too much venting? I don't think so.
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (06-14-2018)
 Old 06-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #43

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
The S4 is SUPER sensitive to crank case pressure. It doesn't take much to blow out oil. I would STRONGLY recommend a PCV plate and using Damond's OCC routing diagram pictured here. Also, check your AFRs. If you're running rich, you might see some blue smoke.
why is the check valve on the green path not after the Valve cover ? Since the right occ is vented, the intake could suck air thru the engine by the VC and occ filter ?

Fstrnyou sometimes peoples don't like the oil smell when venting out.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky to save fuel and when the speed is broken
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #44

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

The filter has its own check valve.

Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Jeff23spl (06-13-2018)
 Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #45

Solarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Fstrnyou sometimes peoples don't like the oil smell when venting out.
If you don't like oil smells, you bought the wrong car lol
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #46

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you don't like oil smells, you bought the wrong car lol
i know, but it get worst when venting VTA....especially if occ filter is high in the engine bay...

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #47

Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay, in that case...
Route all VTA hoses to a charcoal filter.
Jeff23spl likes this.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #48

Solarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud ofSolarsurge has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay, in that case...
Route all VTA hoses to a charcoal filter.
Fill catch cans 1/2 way with Febreeze
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #49

BuddySpeed3 has disabled reputation
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The S4 is SUPER sensitive to crank case pressure. It doesn't take much to blow out oil. I would STRONGLY recommend a PCV plate and using Damond's OCC routing diagram pictured here. Also, check your AFRs. If you're running rich, you might see some blue smoke.
This looks promising! I ordered a DM PCV plate and another DM vented can. I'll give this routing option a try.
My only concern is the vent right off the block potentially spraying oil everywhere. Have you tried this method?

I target and hold 11.8:1 all the way to 6700 rpm, so it isn't super rich. It's clear when the turbo smokes, as it's a whitish blue color.
Thanks!

I like that routing, but I would have both cans VTA.
I agree! it looks like it will retain good vacuum under all driving conditions. I currently have a DM vented can, so with the DM plate I will be able to figure out which routing option works best for pressure relief, ultimately allowing oil to drain out of the turbski efficiently. I thought the breather cap and vented can alone would be enough. Hopefully the plate will solve the issue.

On their website, they show the back side of the plate, and you can really see just how small of a hole the PCV valve has. Those other two big holes on the plate should definitely help.
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 v2 - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM Vented Catch Can - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - Stock Fuel System (Installing 6th Port Soon) -

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 06-14-2018 at 05:33 AM.
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #50

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BuddySpeed3 View Post
My only concern is the vent right off the block potentially spraying oil everywhere. Have you tried this method
at worst if it happen, you can extend the hose length and rise the filter height? i don't know if the DM plate have baffle for it already? I would expect they made something that works

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (06-14-2018)
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #51

Not Ranked  0 score     

I had one at intake level without issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160421_205603.jpg (4.16 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160421_205614.jpg (3.42 MB, 8 views)

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (06-14-2018)
 Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #52

Not Ranked  0 score     

The crank case is seeing typically 2-5 psi at most. It's not gonna spray anything. It might spit a tiny bit here and there, but that's what the filter is for. 5 psi up the turbo oil return, on the other hand, is enough to make it flow backward since it's a gravity feed. It's kind of like blowing air bubbles into a beverage with a straw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (06-14-2018)
 Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #53

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had one at intake level without issues
Nice custom work right there!

The crank case is seeing typically 2-5 psi at most. It's not gonna spray anything. It might spit a tiny bit here and there, but that's what the filter is for. 5 psi up the turbo oil return, on the other hand, is enough to make it flow backward since it's a gravity feed. It's kind of like blowing air bubbles into a beverage with a straw.
Man you are smart! The nice thing about the Damond Motorsports PCV plate having two additional ports is that there are many routing options. I was also considering this one to prevent oil spray yet retain oem vacuum sources:
Damond Motorsports PCV route 3.png
I would have both cans vented and was thinking of running a 5/8" hose off the top vent on the secondary can, and teeing it into the hose between the valve cover and turbo inlet for added vacuum when the check valve on top of the can opens. I may do this with the routing option you posted as well.

I'll have to do some testing to see which routing option rewards me with a clear rear view
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 v2 - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM Vented Catch Can - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - Stock Fuel System (Installing 6th Port Soon) -

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 06-14-2018 at 06:26 PM.
 Old 06-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #54

Not Ranked  0 score     

Your setup would work but personally, i think the original is better.

In the original, The occ breather is there mostly in case the return isn't able to take all the blow-by but in your setup, all the crank case blow-by will have to get out from the occ filter, (there is no ''return'' )
And you are no longer separating the oil out of the valve cover vapors so the intake path will get the oem level of oil inside the tubes.

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

Old 06-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #55

Polish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so a little update...

Smoking is still happening only at WOT but has improved a little bit. It's worse if the oil hasn't fully warmed up. Compression was checked and resulted in 180 psi across all 4 cylinders. I've removed oil return line and verified no blockage in the line, engine block, and turbo cartridge. Puffs of whitish blueish smoke occur more noticeably if I hit the throttle hard as opposed to gradually going WOT. It's also noticebly smokey if I hit the rev limiter (accidentally). It seems very much related to crankcase pressure as it only happens at WOT. If I rev the engine out to high rpm at part throttle to raise oil pressure, it doesn't smoke at all.

Things that have helped but not fully cured the issue:

1. Gen 2 valve cover w/ Sp63 oil breather cap; VC breather still routed to turbo inlet for vacuum
2. DM stage 2 vented catch can with vent routed to turbo inlet for added vacuum
3. Oil restrictor bolt from BNR (smaller hole than JBR bolt)
4. Switching back to 5w30 (was running 5w40 Rotella T6) as it drains out of the turbo more efficiently as per Bryan.

I really don't want to have to send it out to Bryan to get rebuilt. Has anyone had a similar issue with the S4? If so what was your solution?

Thanks!
Erik
I recommend a leak down test to confirm the health of your engine. On my 3 I had burning oil issues and sometimes smoking. At this point I tested the compression and saw 180 - 185 PSI on all 4 cylinders. I then made a leak down tester and checked my engine and I was surprised to see 2 cylinders had ~40% leak and the other 2 had 20 -30% leak. From there I had no choice but to rebuild the engine and during the tear down I saw that all 4 pistons had cracked ring lands.

In my case, the burning oil issue was from the crankcase pressurizing and oil blowing past the rings. Also, since the crankcase was experiencing excessive pressure, my turbo wasn't draining properly, and this cause it to seep into the compressor housing.
CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -
Polish_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #56

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Polish_Eagle View Post
I recommend a leak down test to confirm the health of your engine. On my 3 I had burning oil issues and sometimes smoking. At this point I tested the compression and saw 180 - 185 PSI on all 4 cylinders. I then made a leak down tester and checked my engine and I was surprised to see 2 cylinders had ~40% leak and the other 2 had 20 -30% leak. From there I had no choice but to rebuild the engine and during the tear down I saw that all 4 pistons had cracked ring lands.

In my case, the burning oil issue was from the crankcase pressurizing and oil blowing past the rings. Also, since the crankcase was experiencing excessive pressure, my turbo wasn't draining properly, and this cause it to seep into the compressor housing.
Thanks man! I will definitely do a leak down test. In your case since having had all 4 ringlands cracked, when did you notice smoke and the most oil consumption? Was it mainly at WOT, or even at cruising and part throttle?

The reason I ask is because my engine consumes virtually no oil or cause smoking when cruising around at part throttle. It's mainly at WOT, and has gotten much better since installing a vented catch can and the sp63 oil breather cap.

FWIW we know oil pressure increases with rpm, and I can hold the rpm really high at part throttle to about 5000 rpm and see no smoke out the tail pipe. The smoking occurs only under load, which gives me a sense that my ringlands are not cracked

Thanks!

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 06-16-2018 at 05:10 AM.
 Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #57

Polish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the worldPolish_Eagle is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If I remember correctly the smoke was just at WOT, part throttle and cruising were fine. Also, the smoke wasn't really visible by me, it was my buddies driving behind me telling me they smell burnt oil and see a bluish smoke when I went WOT. As for oil consumption, the most was also definitely at WOT, but the rest of the time it was sipping small amounts.

If you have a valve cover breather, check the filter on it, and see if it's soaked in oil. Mine would get soaked with oil and then spray all over the engine bay (it got worse with time).

If I were you, I would definitely do a leakdown test to either determine the pistons are done or rule out that problem. A leakdown test will tell you the most about the engine health as it will identify problems throughout.
CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -
 Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #58

Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine wasn't burning much oil with #3 cracked. Mostly under wot and less than 250ml at oil change. I ran it a bit more than a year before rebuilding it.

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #59

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Polish_Eagle View Post
If I remember correctly the smoke was just at WOT, part throttle and cruising were fine. Also, the smoke wasn't really visible by me, it was my buddies driving behind me telling me they smell burnt oil and see a bluish smoke when I went WOT. As for oil consumption, the most was also definitely at WOT, but the rest of the time it was sipping small amounts.

If you have a valve cover breather, check the filter on it, and see if it's soaked in oil. Mine would get soaked with oil and then spray all over the engine bay (it got worse with time).

If I were you, I would definitely do a leakdown test to either determine the pistons are done or rule out that problem. A leakdown test will tell you the most about the engine health as it will identify problems throughout.
Mine wasn't burning much oil with #3 cracked. Mostly under wot and less than 250ml at oil change. I ran it a bit more than a year before rebuilding it.
I've got no oil at all coming from the valve cover breather hose, but all this talk of cracked ringlands is starting to get me worried. Like you said, we will have to see the results of the leak down test and then go from there. I baby the car when it comes to tuning it and never do back to back pulls without some cool down driving in between. I've been tuning the car since the beginning and wouldn't be happy if I found out that my ringlands were cracked because I've never made more than 330 whp and I monitor knock on the daily. I hope it's just the S4 being sensitive to 'normal' crankcase pressure but we will see
 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #60

Not Ranked  0 score     

I get smoke at WOT as well but with the CS turbo. As others have said, I can't see it from the driver's seat.
It was first mentioned to me a bit over a year ago when the turbo was fresh and only pushing about 280whp @18psi.
Compression has always tested good but have yet to do a leak-down test.
I'm pushing it a bit harder now. In this summer heat, I'm guessing about 320whp @22psi.
Smoke or not, I send it daily.

Other rides:
History:
 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #61

Not Ranked  0 score     

lol ringland won't break for nothing....When I broke mine, i made a tuning error and for just 2 pull in third gear it break. Too much boost without enough fuel and octane... the knock break 3 spark plug at the same time too. Lesson learned!

1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #62

Not Ranked  0 score     

I've got no oil at all coming from the valve cover breather hose, but all this talk of cracked ringlands is starting to get me worried. Like you said, we will have to see the results of the leak down test and then go from there. I baby the car when it comes to tuning it and never do back to back pulls without some cool down driving in between. I've been tuning the car since the beginning and wouldn't be happy if I found out that my ringlands were cracked because I've never made more than 330 whp and I monitor knock on the daily. I hope it's just the S4 being sensitive to 'normal' crankcase pressure but we will see
Well it's not horsepower, the main problem is the increased cylinder temps when increasing boost and/or timing. Our OEM ring gaps are very tight and eventually crack the ringlands from the increased heat.