register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree8Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #81

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BuddySpeed3 View Post
This is my current PCV setup:

Attachment 236920

I'm thinking that I might also have some irreversible damage to the bearings from running a restrictor bolt, because even after an over kill PCV setup, it still blows blueish white smoke. More so when going WOT quickly instead of gradually, and quite a bit under high rpm deceleration, even without going into boost prior. Idle and part throttle cruising are pretty good so it's not like it's always a smoke show lol

How has your S4 been holding up after the rebuilt? I'm considering sending mine in, or just buying a new CHRA with the V3 comp wheel.

Thanks

I asked about getting the v3 wheel put in mine and Bryan said they only have complete turbos and no extra wheels. But it’s been great now that it’s not running a restrictor bolt and is getting proper oil. It is absolutely critical that you don’t have any kinks in your lines and they are all running down to the cans though. Oil that clings to the hoses won’t drip “up” the hoses. They’ll just get clogged. Repeatedly. Ask me how I know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #82

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Low spots are called p-traps. Fluid can collect in that low spot and fill up the line enough completely block air flow.
You can find them at every sink and toilet in your house and the condensate drain of an air conditioner. Their purpose is literally to block airflow and you DO NOT want this scenario in your crankcase vent lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p-trap-diagram-9-11-14.jpg (27.4 KB, 3 views)
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (11-09-2018)
 Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #83

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
I asked about getting the v3 wheel put in mine and Bryan said they only have complete turbos and no extra wheels. But it’s been great now that it’s not running a restrictor bolt and is getting proper oil. It is absolutely critical that you don’t have any kinks in your lines and they are all running down to the cans though. Oil that clings to the hoses won’t drip “up” the hoses. They’ll just get clogged. Repeatedly. Ask me how I know lol
Haha yes I followed your advice and made sure that my hoses run down to their respective cans with a slight slope. Thanks for that tip!

I'm starting to think that it isn't a crankcase pressure issue anymore though. I mean just look at my PCV setup! My compression test results are 180 psi across the board, and my leak down test results checked out good with less than 3% leakage in each cylinder. I can't think of anything else to try.

Bryan reassured me that his restrictor bolt provides sufficient lubrication to the bearings in the S4, and that mine could potentially be slightly damaged from debris some how getting in there, which might be causing ever so slight play in the shaft, causing the piston ring not to seal properly. However, I have been running the stock bolt after you mentioned it a while ago, and it has definitely helped, so I'm not entirely sure what is damaging what at this point, or if anything is even damaged.

Slightly damaged bearings makes sense, considering I'm noticing smoke during deceleration where there is much less back pressure in the downpipe which could be pulling oil through if the piston ring isn't sealing right, and also during sudden WOT pulls where the shaft speed quickly increases.

Do you think I should get mine rebuilt?
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 3 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #84

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bump
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 3 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)
 Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #85

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The smoking issue with these turbos seems to be isolated. We already know that excess crankcase pressure will cause them to blow tonnes of oil, but I'm wondering if catless downpipes are also a factor, due to sudden drops in back pressure post turbine wheel (which at this point is when I've noticed the smoking). If we can see a pattern among people with catless downpipes, then maybe we can find a solution.

Just how many of you out there are having smoking issues with a BNR s3 or s4 turbo, and what are your PCV and exhaust setups?

In no way am I bashing this turbo because I absolutely love it and it performs great. It's just becoming an annoyance having to top up the oil every 3 days, and be constantly looking out my rear view anticipating a plume a smoke under low back pressure circumstances such as deceleration and throttle lift off between shifts.

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 11-14-2018 at 03:37 PM.
 Old 11-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #86

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BuddySpeed3 View Post
The smoking issue with these turbos seems to be isolated. We already know that excess crankcase pressure will cause them to blow tonnes of oil, but I'm wondering if catless downpipes are also a factor, due to sudden drops in back pressure post turbine wheel (which at this point is when I've noticed the smoking). If we can see a pattern among people with catless downpipes, then maybe we can find a solution.

Just how many of you out there are having smoking issues with a BNR s3 or s4 turbo, and what are your PCV and exhaust setups?

In no way am I bashing this turbo because I absolutely love it and it performs great. It's just becoming an annoyance having to top up the oil every 3 days, and be constantly looking out my rear view anticipating a plume a smoke under low back pressure circumstances such as deceleration and throttle lift off between shifts.

I have zero consumption, zero smoke. I use stock oil bolt, DM stage 3 OCC kit with Route 4 option that is no longer available. Fully built w BNR S4 v2. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #87

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
I have zero consumption, zero smoke. I use stock oil bolt, DM stage 3 OCC kit with Route 4 option that is no longer available. Fully built w BNR S4 v2. No issues at all.
That's great news! Are u catless?
 Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #88

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

He's a dog person.
BuddySpeed3 and Jeff23spl like this.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #89

CesariniAP has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

@BuddySpeed3;
Have you made any more progress/determination with the S4 consuming oil? I’ve recently installed an S3 and I haven’t noticed smoke while driving but I can smell burning oil at the tail pipe after a drive if I get out and leave it idling.

I did have a bad experience on the K04 after installing an OCC, the car would smoke at idle after being warmed up. I triple checked the pluming, check valve etc and found nothing wrong so I removed the OCC and the smoking at idle disappeared so I never re-installed or found the cause. Although the OCC was a non baffled eBay special so that may have been the issue.
2008 MS3, Cobb AP V3, JBR 3.5 WP, CS 3.5 BAR, BNR S3 V2, JBR RMM 88 Duro, JBR TMM 70 Duro, Cobb TBE, EBCS, autotech HPFP, E85 mixed to E30, Snow Stage 2 WMI, (Stratified Tuned "Not for WMI") ITV22's, Koni yellows.
CesariniAP is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #90

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it takes a long while to burn the oil trapped inside an exhaust system, the smell will remain after the fix for few weeks

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote