register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

arnold600 is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Exclamation Cant hit boost target

I dont believe i have any leaks but i could be wrong. Unplugged the vacuum hose from ecbs and wastegate and hit 22lbs and immediately let off. so i dont think i have any hose leaks. i have a few 3rd gear data logs attached. maybe someone can see if anything fishy is going on. only seem to hit between 11-13psi. Also, APP data says 100% throttle opening yet TPS data says only around 70% is this normal?
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog1.csv (12.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: csv datalog7.csv (17.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv datalog4.csv (12.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: csv Just wastegate.csv (11.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by arnold600; 09-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.
arnold600 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Based on the logs, I'm guessing you are mostly stock? Mods/Tune? Also, is this a MS6 like in your avatar?

Throttle position appears mostly normal, which usually holds at 76-77 at WOT. yours starts at 71 but still gets to 76-77.
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC, SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond RMM | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei 18x8.5 PF01 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | Koni STR.T Shocks | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold Fronts | Focal Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: Low Note Additional Horn
Mods Awaitting Install: JBR TMIC Red Boost Tubes | DM OCC w/VTA
Future Mods:DM PMM & TMM | Injector Seals | Whiteline Suspension Bushings | Built Block & BNR S3v2 if ZZB
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Carskick View Post
Based on the logs, I'm guessing you are mostly stock? Mods/Tune? Also, is this a MS6 like in your avatar?

Throttle position appears mostly normal, which usually holds at 76-77 at WOT. yours starts at 71 but still gets to 76-77.
Yes. Same one in avatar. just intake, TIP, bov, axleback and test pipe. Cobb apv3 on stage 1 ots tune
 Old 09-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #4

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The only tune related things to limit boost are throttle and wastegate. The throttle has been ruled out as the problem, so let's look at the wastegate side of things.

You know you can boost plenty if you remove boost signal to wastegate via your sketchy test. And with it hooked up, your boosting near spring pressure. So, your WGDC must be very low or maybe your EBCS is not functioning properly. It could be stuck closed. Or maybe you have an electrical issue between your ECU and the EBCS.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22's, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Poly FSB Bushings, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC/PCV Plate
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
The only tune related things to limit boost are throttle and wastegate. The throttle has been ruled out as the problem, so let's look at the wastegate side of things.

You know you can boost plenty if you remove boost signal to wastegate via your sketchy test. And with it hooked up, your boosting near spring pressure. So, your WGDC must be very low or maybe your EBCS is not functioning properly. It could be stuck closed. Or maybe you have an electrical issue between your ECU and the EBCS.
I put a new oem ecbs in and no change. Should i do a manual controller?
 Old 09-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

No
Jeff23spl likes this.
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
 Old 09-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

No
What else would you reccomend? I mean. I reinstalled my tune, ecbs is new, i just smoked my system and no boost leaks. What else could it be?
 Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

I mentioned 3 possible sources of the issue. You only addressed 1 of them.

Also, since your tune is OTS, I'm assuming it's a load tune, not a boost tune. Have you verified whether or not you are achieving load targets?
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
 Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #9

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 80
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OTS maps are boost tunes. They are up to V2.60 on the MS6 Cobb OTS maps. Maybe you can give that a shot.

Usually when you have a test pipe you would go with a stage 2 map but may not help in this situation since stage 2 WGDC are lower than stage 1.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I mentioned 3 possible sources of the issue. You only addressed 1 of them.

Also, since your tune is OTS, I'm assuming it's a load tune, not a boost tune. Have you verified whether or not you are achieving load targets?
How would i change WGDC? Im gunna have to do a few more logs with more data so you can check. And throttle seems normal? I tried changing the wgdc on the cobb but it literally doesnt change a thing. Wasnt sure if you needed an aftermarket 3 port ecbs or not. Upped the wgdc to +5% and no change
 Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
OTS maps are boost tunes. They are up to V2.60 on the MS6 Cobb OTS maps. Maybe you can give that a shot.

Usually when you have a test pipe you would go with a stage 2 map but may not help in this situation since stage 2 WGDC are lower than stage 1.
My maps are all up to date from Cobb. I have new ECBS, I smoked the system, Adjusting WGDC % through the cobb has no effect. Still at around 12.4psi. I even put my oem recirc valve back on, thought maybe the Turbosmart BOV was faulty. still no change. Even tried stage 0 tune, no change, all my connections are tight. no boost leaks. Its been driving me nuts for the past 6 months.
 Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #12

aeonpsych has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm in a similar situation (although I am mostly stock with no tune/tuner, just a data logger)...

I am only getting between 8-12 psi (12 is usually with a spike), it usually hovers right around 8-10. I've pulled apart the tip, plastic intake tubing, the top mount intercooler, both elbows for the intercooler, and the bov at least 4 times. Sprayed engine starter fluid around all vacuum lines, and nothing. Cleaned MAF multiple times, and checked ebcs, still no improvement. Regapped spark plugs to like 22 and felt a little improvement in throttle response, but not boost pressure.

Last thing I can do is check for leaks with a leak detector. Just need to build a custom pipe setup for it.

Friend thinks my cat is clogged or faulty oem bov, but idk.
 Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aeonpsych View Post
I'm in a similar situation (although I am mostly stock with no tune/tuner, just a data logger)...

I am only getting between 8-12 psi (12 is usually with a spike), it usually hovers right around 8-10. I've pulled apart the tip, plastic intake tubing, the top mount intercooler, both elbows for the intercooler, and the bov at least 4 times. Sprayed engine starter fluid around all vacuum lines, and nothing. Cleaned MAF multiple times, and checked ebcs, still no improvement. Regapped spark plugs to like 22 and felt a little improvement in throttle response, but not boost pressure.

Last thing I can do is check for leaks with a leak detector. Just need to build a custom pipe setup for it.

Friend thinks my cat is clogged or faulty oem bov, but idk.
I thought possibly my turbosmart bov was faulty, switched to my oem and no change. Not sure what it could be. Im clueless honestly.
 Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some car may just not boost the same with similar wastegate duty, there could be some mods or mechanical work that change parameters etc.
But your a bit tied up with just ots maps too...
I never try the WG duty update functions of the cobb but it could be easy to check if it works. You put it a 0 and log. Change it for +10% and log again under same conditions to check if the commanded wastegate duty have changed in the log. If it does as it should but the boost doesn't increase, you have something wrong mechanically.
If the WG duty doesn't change, it is because the feature isn't working...You can check with cobb for it.

You said you checked it but for the wastegate, if you just replaced the ebcs you may have miss anything pipe related. etc

IMO for leaks the only thing that really works is a boost tester at the place of the filter. I wrench on a speed for the last 10 years, i know how to connect piping properly and i hate to do something twice but sometimes i have to. Pipe with a colar end are hard to seal. And a lot of thing could leak too. PRessure test will check everything. any other tests will just check what you suspect that could leak and you may miss one...

I had some overboost problems with my 6 . i got access to ATR (Again) and finaly ended by installing a 3ports EBCS and a special tune to fix the issue untill i get time and money to swap engine and turbo on a solid base. I know some may be just looking for little more but there is no miracles, either you go full retard or you live with what you got from an unknown used car...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
arnold600 (09-15-2018)
 Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

UPDATE. So yesterday i put the stage 0 tune on, and if i mash the gas mad hard and like rock the pedal i got it to 15psi once under high load. (stock tune must be load tune) going up a hill. and pretty consistently 13.5psi on flat ground. Maybe i have a gunked up throttle plate????? also, dont worry, the floor mat is out of the way.
 Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

Log APP as well as TPS.
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
 Old 09-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Log APP as well as TPS.
in my logs up top it has some tps data. says around 71-76% tps where app data is 100% ill do a log later today.
 Old 09-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ah okay, I missed that. Nevermind then.
AWR TMM on stand-by
Other rides:
History:
 Old 09-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So i cleaned out the throttle body. Same result, only make 11-12psi on stage1 93 +sf and make 13-15psi on stage 0 tune. Only for a brief moment, holds steady 13. So maybe i should call cobb or get the accesstuner software so i can dive a bit deeper into this issue.
 Old 09-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #20

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,747 Times in 918 Posts
Groans: 113
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There are so many little things that can cause the low boost in relation to expected target. One sometimes overlooked is the small hoses/ lines to and from the ECBS.

They get hard, brittle and crack over time. It is hard to detect the splits.

Replacement hose is cheap. Sold by the foot at autoparts stores.

Even if it does not restore boost, it probably should be done. Give it a try while you are at it.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
There are so many little things that can cause the low boost in relation to expected target. One sometimes overlooked is the small hoses/ lines to and from the ECBS.

They get hard, brittle and crack over time. It is hard to detect the splits.

Replacement hose is cheap. Sold by the foot at autoparts stores.

Even if it does not restore boost, it probably should be done. Give it a try while you are at it.
Yeah I bought some new hose from napa and replaced them. Nothing changed sadly.
 Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #22

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a similar thing happen to me when I increased boost once. Turned out that the higher boost pressure blew the cap wide open on the PCV vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold. I had it capped for my OCC routing, but there's usually a hose there that goes to the PCV valve. Might want to check that out.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
arnold600 (Yesterday)