register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MSMS3
  • 1 Post By ZMMZMM3

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

ZMMZMM3 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Corksport turbo as stock replacement

Alright, I drove this 3 off the lot at 9:00AM on November 9, 2006. Bought the thing for my wife and developed a love affair with it shortly thereafter (don't tell my MR2). It's been very reliable, never left either of us stranded. Absolutely LOVE this car! With that said, it is starting to have a few minor issues, namely, turbo issues. I've been looking around for a good replacement for the stock turbo that has the oil issues ironed out, found the Corksport turbo. Question is, How will it do as a stock replacement? Anybody here have unbiased feedback on the subject?

Thanks for any feedback.
ZMMZMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

Speed3kid93 will become famous soon enoughSpeed3kid93 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 16 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the corksport turbo is good especially for the price however it has had some problems with boost creeping at higher boost levels so make sure you port the wastegate if you are planning on running higher boost levels.

Some people have chased this problem and have gotten very annoyed with it.

If you are just using it as a stock replacement ive heard nothing but good things personally.

They are on the cheaper side so don't expect it to last as long as a garrett turbo or anything like that but it should give you 50,000 trouble free miles easily.
 Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Bertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Get BNR S1. The Corksport (CST4 i'm assuming) is a great option for stock replacement if you plan on adding some power in the future. You will need a tune to safely run the Corksport turbo. But a good stock replacement turbo with the oil problems fixed; BNR S1. You don't even need a tune for it.
Cobb SF Intake & TIH w. Blitz Filter
CP-e TMIC
Corksport Dual VTA BPV
JBR 88 Duro RMM

Last edited by Bertospeed3; 05-03-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Bertospeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertospeed3 For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (05-06-2019)
 Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #4

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The Corksport CST4 turbo doesn't creep at high boost. It creeps at high flow.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (05-14-2019)
 Old 05-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks much for the feedback! I'll look into the BNR turbo for sure.
 Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Jakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the Corksport and it is an awesome turbo. I run an E30 tune and full E85 at times. BUT. The dynamics of the car will change noticeably. There is a noticeable difference is spool up and low end, kick you in the ass feel of the stock ko4. You essentially need to drive at a higher rpm to get some of the zoom zoom back.

The endless power all the way to redline more than makes up for the loss down low but I have serious buyers remorse all the way to 3400 rpm then itís goooooone and before I can say ďshiftĒ Iím bouncing off the rev limiter.
 Old 05-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

With a stock bottom end, you don't want the kick in the ass spool of a K04.

But with my built bottom end, I can hit 20psi by 3000 with the CS turbo and not worry about bending rods.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
 Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Jakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you have upgraded manifolds ? My tuner was unable to do that even with a full 3Ē exhaust and intake.

With the stock ko4 I hit 18psi by 2400 and 23psi by 2800 on E85.... Thatís a noticeable spool difference. I tried my hardest to bend rods but either the wheels spun Or IF I had enough traction in 4th the clutch would slip. Smells like dead burnt fish crap. I was probably over 400ftlbs at 2500rpm based on people saying the stock clutch is only good for 400 and some Virtual Dyno runs.

I still donít believe the whole power bends rods with these cars. 1st-4th just spun wheels with to much power. Never did it in it in 5th or 6th. on purpose at least.
 Old 05-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, I'm not looking for a ton of power, wouldn't mind a bit more though. Currently I have the Mazdaspeed CAI, actually came on the car when I bought it, and the upgraded HPFP offered through COBB. Not really going to do much, I live in Cali and the idiots here like to suppress anything that deals with cars. Y'know cars are the Devil's toys.

So, I have to ask, who has experience with the recommended DNR turbos?

Looking for comparisons here. Any input?
 Old 05-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #10

LenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

@jakeypoo, you are not trying hard enough, you can throw rods at stock power levels let alone upgrading stuff. Floor it at 1500 rpm a few times and report back.

@zmmzmm3 I have the now named CST4 and I like it, maybe in the future if I get more retarded I'll replace it with either a bigger CS or something else but for now its doing its job well.
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #11

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ZMMZMM3 It really depend what you are looking for.

The CS claim stock replacement because it is some kind of bolt on because it house larger wheels on stock frame. But it is a larger turbo than stock and that need supporting mods. If you don't plan for it, you shouldn't get that expecting to run on other factory parts...
This would be a S1 instead.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #12

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jakeypoo View Post
Do you have upgraded manifolds ? My tuner was unable to do that even with a full 3Ē exhaust and intake.

With the stock ko4 I hit 18psi by 2400 and 23psi by 2800 on E85.... Thatís a noticeable spool difference. I tried my hardest to bend rods but either the wheels spun Or IF I had enough traction in 4th the clutch would slip. Smells like dead burnt fish crap. I was probably over 400ftlbs at 2500rpm based on people saying the stock clutch is only good for 400 and some Virtual Dyno runs.

I still donít believe the whole power bends rods with these cars. 1st-4th just spun wheels with to much power. Never did it in it in 5th or 6th. on purpose at least.
Dont miss that boost reading is a reading of engine restriction not about power. With larger turbo and open exaust, you make more power at lower boost level....Look at your g/s reading instead...when this rise, you are making more power....

And keep in mind an awd 6 would give more load to rise boost than a spinning 3....just compare the boost rise in 3 vs 4th gears....

If you don't believe bent rods, it is probably because you didn't get it for long enough....You can read about LSPI...This is the problem of all kind of new engines....small turbo and a lot of torque. It may still last but you need low BAT and enough octane or the knock will vent the bloc.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
@jakeypoo, you are not trying hard enough, you can throw rods at stock power levels let alone upgrading stuff. Floor it at 1500 rpm a few times and report back.

@zmmzmm3 I have the now named CST4 and I like it, maybe in the future if I get more retarded I'll replace it with either a bigger CS or something else but for now its doing its job well.

Been there done that. Been doing it since I bought the car. It was fun doing that when I had the stock turbo but now it just lags till the boost starts building. Over 150,000 miles. I did it 10 times during my test drive.

Damn I hope I didnít just jinks myself.

I still love the Corksport. But I just wish I had known that it would feel so much different. Once I learned to drive over 3000 instead of 2000 I was much happier. But I do miss the down low diesel type torque of the ko4.
 Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #14

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,814 Times in 972 Posts
Groans: 138
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ZMMZMM3 View Post
Thanks much for the feedback! I'll look into the BNR turbo for sure.
The BNR S1 is what you want. It is true plug and play, everything is in the right place, oil lines, water lines, vacuum and boost lines, flanges - everything.

That is because it uses a K04 outer shell, but modified internally for a Garrett GT28 guts. The journals and seals are GT28 size and design.

It requires no tuning change - the flow, both on the impeller and compressor side is identical to the K04.

Ask me how I know, having gone through two K04 replacements before setting on the BNR S1. This solves the problem. They just don't smoke.

BNR makes several stage upgrades. You want the basic S1. The others require tuning and in most cases, upgraded hardware.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Dont miss that boost reading is a reading of engine restriction not about power. With larger turbo and open exaust, you make more power at lower boost level....Look at your g/s reading instead...when this rise, you are making more power....

And keep in mind an awd 6 would give more load to rise boost than a spinning 3....just compare the boost rise in 3 vs 4th gears....

If you don't believe bent rods, it is probably because you didn't get it for long enough....You can read about LSPI...This is the problem of all kind of new engines....small turbo and a lot of torque. It may still last but you need low BAT and enough octane or the knock will vent the bloc.

Jeff23. Iíve known that name for a long time. I agree with the awd fact you mention. I also agree that LSPI is a pita and will bend rods and blow holes in blocks. But lspi can happen at 263 hp or 500hp. My assumptions and opinions are based virtual dyno graphs and not psi. Probably not the best source. But good enough.

Most importantly I donít agree that the Corksport is a replacement for the ko4. Its a different beast. I nice one but different.
 Old 05-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

I still have stock intake and exhaust manifolds. If I can remember tonight, I'll post an old datalog. I believe I was making 20psi by 3000 when the weather was cold. It's harder to do when it warms up.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #17

LenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just my opinion but these are not the cars you want if you like to lug the engine down and/or have low end torque...
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jakeypoo View Post
Most importantly I donít agree that the Corksport is a replacement for the ko4. Its a different beast. I nice one but different.
We both agree on that too. Not sure if my sentence was confusing but i was trying to say the same...Someone with a factory car that just want a factory replacement turbo shouldn't buy the CS but a BNR S1

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #19

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, I'm not looking for a ton of power, wouldn't mind a bit more though. Currently I have the Mazdaspeed CAI, actually came on the car when I bought it, and the upgraded HPFP offered through COBB. Not really going to do much, I live in Cali and the idiots here like to suppress anything that deals with cars. Y'know cars are the Devil's toys.

So, I have to ask, who has experience with the recommended DNR turbos?

Looking for comparisons here. Any input?
Did you mean BNR turbos? If so, yes. I solved my smoking turbo problems with the BNR S1. K04 on the outside, Garrett GT28 on the inside. Much beefier journals and seals. Identical flow as stock. Plug and play. After two failed smoking K04's I was not going to keep doing the same thing (definition of insanity). If you are satisfied with the potential of the K04 with compatible mods, it will take you up to the limit, about 300-310 whp on pump gas, maybe 320-330 max if you run ethanol blends with the right mods and tune.

In case I forgot to say it, its not cheap, but not more than buying a new K04 from Mazda . . . and it will not smoke.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 05-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like the BNR S1 would be a better choice. I might do as much as a couple of bolt-ons in the future. My main concern is the smoking turbo, California smog program y'know. I have been happy with the car, it's a blast! If anything gets done in the future it'll be a rebuild. I might install an ethanol injection plate/spacer plate after the TB. That would mostly be for a cleaning charge into the intake.
 Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #21

san1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would say that if you are looking for the same power, and just more reliable then go for the s1. My opinion is your having to break everything down and pull that SoB out of your car. I would say put a bigger turbo, like the CS, thats the one I have, and get a mild tune. I just dont like having to pull the thang off and have to deal with all that trouble. The BNR s1 is like $950, the CST4 is $1000 plus a couple of supporting mods like boost solenoid, bar map that is free with the turbo. Your going to all that trouble of pulling it out, might as well upgrade and be done with it.
san1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Getting what he needs (BNR S1) now will save him so much money later because getting a CST4 will open up a rabbit hole of mods.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

$350 for the HPFP internals and $130 boost solenoid, and $200 for E tune. I agree, if money is really tight then might not want to do that. I guess it depends on what you are looking to do in the future.
 Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #24

Bertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

What he "needs" is a BNR s1. Everything else is cool but would be considered a "want"
CP-e TMIC
Corksport Dual VTA BPV
JBR 88 Duro RMM
 Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

You are correct. He said that he would be looking for a bit more power, so my argument was if your getting in there and switching the turbo out, go ahead and do it all while your in there.
 Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, just a stock replacement. As much fun as it is to mod the engine, I'm getting to the point where I just want to cruise anymore. Hell , I might be the oldest guy on this site, anyone here older than 55? Old and broken, more broken than old though. I'm even thinking of letting go of my '87 MR2 and getting rid of my 4X4 cause I can't handle getting beat like that any more. I've had my fun.

Really! As of late I've enjoyed driving my wife's '97 E36, soft suspension, slushbox, anemic power, HEATED seats, great for a bad back, old fart car. Although my opinion is the E36 is the best looking 3 series BMW has made, it was the worst.
 Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

To be honest with ya, if I would have known about the bnr s1 as complete stock upgrade, with no issues, just without the smoking, I probably would have done that. After ripping out two turbos though, I said I wasnt going to do it again, and got in there for hopefully the final time for my car.
 Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Although my opinion is the E36 is the best looking 3 series BMW has made, it was the worst.
Theres something you dont hear everyday. I dont think Ive ever heard anyone say they prefer the looks of the e36. I love e46s, e30s and of course e92 but the e36 never did anything for me.
CP-e TMIC
Corksport Dual VTA BPV
JBR 88 Duro RMM
 Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #29

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bertospeed3 View Post
Theres something you dont hear everyday. I dont think Ive ever heard anyone say they prefer the looks of the e36. I love e46s, e30s and of course e92 but the e36 never did anything for me.
never been a huge 3 series fan, looks-wise, but the e46 was probably my favorite. Just wish the had sold the F20 in the US. One of my favorite BMWs ever! Great looking, the size of an MS3 with an easy to tune I6, Bi-Turbo, & RWD.
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC w/JBR Red Tubes | SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond Triple Mounted | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei PF01 18x8.5 +48 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | KWv2 Coilovers | Whiteline LCA Bushings, Anti-Lift, & Bump Steer | Whiteline Endlinks | JBR .125 FSB & RSB w/billet bushings/mounts | CS Lower Tie Bar | DM OCC w/VTA | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold 6.5" Comps Front | Focal 6.5 Coax Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: FIAMM 72112 Low Note Horn alongside stock
Mods Awaitting Install: Redline Leather Center Armrest & Handbrake Boot
Future Mods: Injector Seals | Built Block & BNR S3v2 if ZZB
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM | Koni STR.T Orange Shocks
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bertospeed3 View Post
Like I said, my opinion. Some people think the AMC pacer is the best looking car out there.....
 Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

E36 with some sort of appearance package looks pretty good to me, but my favorite 3 series look is E46.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (05-17-2019)
 Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I like the E36 for it's smoother lines. I think it was the last model before they started looking like the designers used CAD to design the body.
 Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, just a stock replacement. As much fun as it is to mod the engine, I'm getting to the point where I just want to cruise anymore. Hell , I might be the oldest guy on this site, anyone here older than 55? Old and broken, more broken than old though. I'm even thinking of letting go of my '87 MR2 and getting rid of my 4X4 cause I can't handle getting beat like that any more. I've had my fun.

Really! As of late I've enjoyed driving my wife's '97 E36, soft suspension, slushbox, anemic power, HEATED seats, great for a bad back, old fart car. Although my opinion is the E36 is the best looking 3 series BMW has made, it was the worst.
Uh, I'm 69 years old. I bought my '08 Speed 3 new in the Spring of that year. I was 58 years old then! The need for speed has no age limit. At a new car price of under $25,000 it was the greatest performance value on the planet.

I just sold my well-maintained Speed 3 in January to another board member here. I had one vehicle too many and one had to go. I could not maintain the full size Armada SUV for towing my boat, the Volvo XC-90 for the wife, my new Audi Q5 (supercharged variant) and the Mazda. I do all my own wrenching and maintenance.

I hated to see it go, but the Audi is actually quicker in a straight line, even with just a larger bolt on crank pulley, ECU and TCU tune than was the Mazda. And it has all the creature comforts (but at over twice the price). Knocks off mid 12's in the quarter just by pushing the go pedal to the floor, letting it shift and keeping it in its lane. I'm about to increase that pulley ratio and get it retuned and should drop into the high 11's with no other changes. AWD 0-60 is amazing - 4.2 seconds now and probably 3.9 soon.

I do miss the agility of the Mazda, though. The Audi is an AWD midsized SUV, much higher center of gravity, and weighs a very porky 4,400 pounds. I admit to bias, but I do think that Audi has won the styling/beauty contest with BMW in recent years.

I still hang out here, just to try to share what I hopefully learned from 10 years of ownership and the help of some really wise and experienced members here. I'm trying to pay back for that great help over the years.
b.hog likes this.

Last edited by MSMS3; 05-17-2019 at 11:05 AM.
 Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

69? I don't feel so alone now. I've had one Audi in my live, 5 cylinder turbo S4. It was a monster, tuned out to over 600 at the wheels. The offer was too good to keep the car!

I do all my wrenching too. But with all the injuries and abuse my body has endured I'm slower at repairing my car than continental drift. Took 2 weeks to change the timing chain in my 3. Main reason for not doing a lot of mods, and looking for a replacement part that won't need to be worked on sooner than not.
MSMS3 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZMMZMM3 For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (05-17-2019)