register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #81
pewpew

Sacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,189 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

np...glad i could help, man.
Sacrilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #82

Addikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,498 Times in 432 Posts
Groans: 157
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Silver Ecstasy View Post
Ok I do understood correct. But i'll be in Boost showing whatever measly #'s i'm getting and my WGDC is at 0 during WOT after the initial big spool up. That's what I don't get...
You are overthinking this one man, a waste gate duty cycle of 0 means that no boost is being bled off and all of it is going into the engine and out the exhaust the way it is intended. If the waste gate was opening then the duty cycle would show 5, 15, or whatever percent it needs to bleed off in order to achieve its load targets. A wgdc of 0 is a good thing when you nail it.

BNR S3 V2, Freek'd Corn Toon, Cobb AP V3, Cobb FMIC w/ JBR piping, JBR WP 3.5 silicone, Cobb EBCS, Turbo XS Catless DP and TP, CPE Nexus CBE, Autotechs, GFB Hybrid BPV, Damond Trilogy mounts (FTMFW), Bilstein B14 Coils, RX8 R3s

Addikted To Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #83

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 24
Groaned at 81 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

GOTCHA! Ok, I finally got it. I'm sorry guys.

What's interesting also is, since i've installed the TS BPV, my idle LTFT's are down to +6.8 instead of +9.4 with the stock BPV. This means what? My stocker was leaking for sure?
2011 LSM Mazdaspeed 3 Sport w/tech pkg - sold
Silver Ecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #84
pewpew

Sacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the worldSacrilicious is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

that's not a terribly big difference, and it could be a temporary variance due to outside temps or something. i wouldn't read into that change too much, since i see +/- 2-3% of idle LTFT variance from a warm vs cold day.
 Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #85

Addikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the worldAddikted To Boost is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

figured i would post an update since i have put another 100 miles since my last post. My wot ltft's have settled to 5.5, light throttle is about 2%, and decel and idle are both at 0%. much better than before. They will probably keep falling as time goes on.

BNR S3 V2, Freek'd Corn Toon, Cobb AP V3, Cobb FMIC w/ JBR piping, JBR WP 3.5 silicone, Cobb EBCS, Turbo XS Catless DP and TP, CPE Nexus CBE, Autotechs, GFB Hybrid BPV, Damond Trilogy mounts (FTMFW), Bilstein B14 Coils, RX8 R3s

Last edited by Addikted To Boost; 12-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.
 Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #86
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Approx the last two pages of posts about WGDC have a lot of incorrect info, from like post 65 on.
WGDC is not a direct measure of what the wastegate is doing, it is what the ecu is doing with the Wastegate solenoid valve in an attempt to control boost via the WG. It is not a direct measure of wastegate activity/movement.

With WGDC of 0% the car will run a maximum of spring pressure boost regulated by your right foot, it is not an unboosted 4 banger, any boost in excess of spring pressure is rest bled off as the WG is pushed open when boost overcomes the spring.
As WGDC increases the solenoid opens and allows some pressure..................... oh i dunno why I am typing this out......

read the ATR help file, in particular "How Mazda’s 2.3L DISI Turbo Factory Boost Control System Works" its all in there.
No need for me to retype it

A lot of BS in the last couple pages is all I am trying to say.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 12-09-2009 at 12:22 AM.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeFlyFreak For This Useful Post:
JefeSpeed (05-23-2010), Sacrilicious (12-09-2009)
 Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #87

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Free,

Could you instead just write what you should/should not want to see with WGDC? I don't have a copy of ATR, nor do I tune the car/have an ap.
 Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #88

Speedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've got an SU (TurboSmart) BOV, that has both recirc and VTA ports. I've been planning on blocking off the VTA and going full recirc. I need to read John's post in detail, but, I guess, I'm not quite sure what the end recommendation was?
Speedie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #89
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Free,

Could you instead just write what you should/should not want to see with WGDC? I don't have a copy of ATR, nor do I tune the car/have an ap.
I dont have time right now, its late and I was up early which is why I sound like an asshole........ Im tired.
I have attached the ATR help file, read pages 13-17 carefully, it tells you everything you need to know.

What you will see in your WGDC numbers will vary depending on your mods, the way you drive the car, and the tune or lack thereof.
If you dont have ATR dont look at it, there is nothing you can do about it, so why sweat something you cant change?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AccessTUNER_HelpFile_MAZDASPEED.pdf (1.40 MB, 45 views)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 12-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeFlyFreak For This Useful Post:
shpankey (07-13-2010)
 Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #90
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Addikted To Boost View Post
figured i would post an update since i have put another 100 miles since my last post. My wot ltft's have settled to 5.5, light throttle is about 2%, and decel and idle are both at 0%. much better than before. They will probably keep falling as time goes on.
awesome...it sounds like your car is acting like it should now...=d

Originally Posted by FreeFlyFreak View Post
Approx the last two pages of posts about WGDC have a lot of incorrect info, from like post 65 on.
WGDC is not a direct measure of what the wastegate is doing, it is what the ecu is doing with the Wastegate solenoid valve in an attempt to control boost via the WG. It is not a direct measure of wastegate activity/movement.

With WGDC of 0% the car will run a maximum of spring pressure boost regulated by your right foot, it is not an unboosted 4 banger, any boost in excess of spring pressure is rest bled off as the WG is pushed open when boost overcomes the spring.
As WGDC increases the solenoid opens and allows some pressure..................... oh i dunno why I am typing this out......

read the ATR help file, in particular "How Mazda’s 2.3L DISI Turbo Factory Boost Control System Works" its all in there.

whoops...i stand corrected. i've never really dived into the WGDC mapping, so i never bothered to completely clarify my knowledge on the subject...now i will make sure to correct that...=d

Last edited by Sacrilicious; 12-09-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #91

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FreeFlyFreak View Post

my bad i guess my understanding of it was off...thanks for clarifying

Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #92

Not Ranked  0 score     

I figured, understanding WGDC would help me figure out why the hell my car won't boost consistently at or above 15psi. I'm sure the answer is "lack of tune". But I know of plenty of MS3's with stock tunes and intake/BPV combos that run 16psi or higher.
 Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #93

Not Ranked  0 score     

I figured, understanding WGDC would help me figure out why the hell my car won't boost consistently at or above 15psi. I'm sure the answer is "lack of tune". But I know of plenty of MS3's with stock tunes and intake/BPV combos that run 16psi or higher.
shit mine has always topped out right around 15, but it will not hold only for a second or two, then it tapers down pretty steady. It does spike to 19 or 20 beforehand though as my boost gauge has told me numerous times.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #94

Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine spikes to 20-21 with the TS BPV now, but settles down fairly quick.

Oh well. This ATR has tons of info, man! I love learning this stuff. Problem is, it makes me more curious to dare trying to mess with stuff lol. I think i'll stick to bolt-on's.
 Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #95

Speedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

As far as boost control, I'm hoping that John's WGA will help. I'm installing it now.
 Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #96

Not Ranked  0 score     

After reading that ATR guide, why can't we just modify the restrictor pill to a tiny degree? Seems like a fair easy thing to do, with some benefits? Better than tweaking the Wastegate rod.
 Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #97

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, so I finally got a 5th-to-6th data log real quick on my way to work, and FINALLY got my dashhawk working on my vista pc.

How can I export it into an Excel file? Or how would you like me to post it? Just post the file itself?
*EDIT* Here's MS Paint for ya
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 5th To 6th Pull.bmp (1.31 MB, 26 views)

Last edited by Silver Ecstasy; 12-18-2009 at 11:09 AM.
 Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #98

integrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond reputeintegrrac has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

This thread is really helpful, I don't have a BPV but for the AFR discussion I've learned some things.
integrrac is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #99

Fullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the worldFullmetal is the leader of the world
Groans: 35
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok im going to chime in on this topic. there are a couple of things i see that are missing. STFT dictate what LTFT will be in the giving tables. in the sense of running problems like being rich or lean you can instantly tell this from STFT as stated LTFT keeps the AFR at the right target but it takes the ecu learn cycles to adjust the LTFT. STFT is the current need of fuel based on 4 to 5 sensors readings at that certain time. MAF, AFR, MAP, ECT, And Throttle postion. so in terms of bpv this can skew LTFT due to improper readings of the other sensors causing STFT to add to much fuel or take it away.
Fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fullmetal For This Useful Post:
gtarman77787 (07-19-2010)
 Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #100

usmc_adams is a jewel in the roughusmc_adams is a jewel in the roughusmc_adams is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

so i read every post on this thread twice im still alittle confused on this topic can someone breka it down easier for me? Also are ya saying even with a hybrid bov my fuel conspution will drop and backfire i just want something that isnt going to destroy my car any advice for a product out there that is safe? And after reading this im afraid to do any mods to the car?

08 Mazdaspeed3 Mica Black-PG Torque damper, CP-e Xcel Nano SRI w/ pre-filter, Forged BPV V2, 4000 watt lanzar, 2 12' kickers at 2000 each
usmc_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #101
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

don't get too panicked about all this. the reality of the matter is that if you get a hybrid bov, you will be more likely to backfire/sputter on shifts as compared to a fully recirculated bpv, but less likely than a fully VTA valve. how much you backfire just depends on how it all works out on your car. it is important to be on the lookout if you're changing how the stock bypass valve system works, though. the most obvious things to look out for are backfires on shifts and WOT running even richer than normal (lol...).

if you want to try a hybrid bpv, go for it...but go into it knowing that it might not run as well as stock, and you may want to switch back in the future. if you want to be safe, get a fully recirculating valve, and you shouldn't have any troubles (as long as you set the spring tension to something sane). i would recommend the turbosmart BPV (the one for like 150 from SU) or forge bpv (v1 or v2 will do) if you're going to go with a fully recirc valve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sacrilicious For This Useful Post:
FridayGt (04-27-2010), usmc_adams (04-27-2010)
 Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #102

usmc_adams is a jewel in the roughusmc_adams is a jewel in the roughusmc_adams is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sacrilicious View Post
don't get too panicked about all this. the reality of the matter is that if you get a hybrid bov, you will be more likely to backfire/sputter on shifts as compared to a fully recirculated bpv, but less likely than a fully VTA valve. how much you backfire just depends on how it all works out on your car. it is important to be on the lookout if you're changing how the stock bypass valve system works, though. the most obvious things to look out for are backfires on shifts and WOT running even richer than normal (lol...).

if you want to try a hybrid bpv, go for it...but go into it knowing that it might not run as well as stock, and you may want to switch back in the future. if you want to be safe, get a fully recirculating valve, and you shouldn't have any troubles (as long as you set the spring tension to something sane). i would recommend the turbosmart BPV (the one for like 150 from SU) or forge bpv (v1 or v2 will do) if you're going to go with a fully recirc valve.
OKAY another question on the turbosmart from street unit it ask standard pressure 10-20 and then high pressure 20-25 i no im not pussing high but is standard okay to get

08 Mazdaspeed3 Mica Black-PG Torque damper, CP-e Xcel Nano SRI w/ pre-filter, Forged BPV V2, 4000 watt lanzar, 2 12' kickers at 2000 each
 Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #103
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

unless you're running some ECU tuning that really pushing it hard, your not going to be running high pressure. i would definitely stick with the standard pressure spring if i were you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sacrilicious For This Useful Post:
usmc_adams (04-27-2010)
 Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #104

Not Ranked  0 score     

okay 1 last question thanks for info um Vacuum Line Color and Colored Recirc. Tube is there a pic where i can see this so i can pick a color

Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #105
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

lol...you're going to have to ask SU about that. i'm sure they will have pics that they can link for you as samples.
usmc_adams (04-27-2010)
 Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #106

Not Ranked  0 score     

okay thank you

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #107

Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, I got the SU hybrid, but, had problems with some backfires, so, I switched it to fully recirc. It costs more money than one that only offers recirc, so that's extra money for nothing. If I was buying again, I'd do like Sacrilicious says and get either the Turbosmart or Forge recirc only units.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedie6 For This Useful Post:
usmc_adams (04-27-2010)
 Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #108

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Speedie6 View Post
FWIW, I got the SU hybrid, but, had problems with some backfires, so, I switched it to fully recirc. It costs more money than one that only offers recirc, so that's extra money for nothing. If I was buying again, I'd do like Sacrilicious says and get either the Turbosmart or Forge recirc only units.
okay yes im looking into turbosmart bpv im not a fan of the ping sound the forged one gives off i done like it

Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #109

dapmpddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks for that info
dapmpddy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #110

beissinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Smile BPV question

sacrilicious- do you have a contact phone number to ask some detailed questions about BOVs or BPVs so I dont clog up the forum w/ dumb newbie questions.....context is
newbie with 2008 MS3 GT, 17K miles ( daily " Sunday "driver, o/w I take the beast- a 91 Toyota Landcruiser w/ 175k miles); upgrades thus far are AEM CAI and CPE downpipe
upcoming considerations are:
BOV vs BPV ( want to keep stockish sound, no metallic clinging)
Oil Catch Can ( unless you think a waste of time)
SU or CPE rear mount ( which one?)
MS springs and cambers (looking for a good deal)
thanks, beis
rockclinger @ gmail . com
beissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #111
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

don't worry about sounding like a noob. some of these questions keep getting repeated anyway, so we may as well put them out there.

BPV: use the forge v2 bpv or turboxs bpv (not the compact hybrid BOV)

OCC: yes, get one and install like any number of how-to's listed on this and other sites.

CPE rear mount...60 duro if you really want to keep it comfortable, and 75 if you don't mind some vibe.

imo, don't bother with springs and cambers...getting springs are the cheap alternative to getting coils, but the irony is that it starts getting more expensive when you start blowing through shocks way faster than normal.
 Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #112

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default SUPER THANKS

Hi Sacrilicious, just installed the RMM from CPE and OCC, it came together great and has a much more solid feel. I sort of ditched the idea of the Eibach springs after your comment and figured you would probably say the same thing about any sort of sway bar additions...any thoughts or experience on changing out pulleys? my friend loves his performance gain on his BMW M3 which just got a new pulley set...
I'm basically looking at affordable bolt-on mods and so far been staying away from NOS and Tuning options(ie Cobb) mostly out of intimidation and fear of hurting the car( not to mention cost)...but am willing to consider all thoughtful options if you have any other reccs...this is starting to get addicting. thanks again for your help, beis
 Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #113
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by beissinger View Post
Hi Sacrilicious, just installed the RMM from CPE and OCC, it came together great and has a much more solid feel. I sort of ditched the idea of the Eibach springs after your comment and figured you would probably say the same thing about any sort of sway bar additions...any thoughts or experience on changing out pulleys? my friend loves his performance gain on his BMW M3 which just got a new pulley set...
I'm basically looking at affordable bolt-on mods and so far been staying away from NOS and Tuning options(ie Cobb) mostly out of intimidation and fear of hurting the car( not to mention cost)...but am willing to consider all thoughtful options if you have any other reccs...this is starting to get addicting. thanks again for your help, beis
good to hear that the cpe mount is treating you so well!

i actually highly recommend the rear sway bar. it will help to kick out your tail a bit and give you a bit more oversteer...bringing the car a bit closer to neutral. the install is really easy and there really isn't a drawback. the front sway bar, on the other hand, is a PITA to install, and it actually adds to understeer. it reduces body roll, which is good, but i don't feel like the added understeer is worth the tradeoff.

i really have no experience with aftermarket pulleys, but i do know that i don't think i've heard of anyone messing with it. intuitively, i wouldn't bother with it simply because the monstrous torque that FI generates should really amortize the parasitic cost of driving an accessories belt. the M3 relies a lot on revving the shit out of the motor and taking advantage of gearing, which likely causes increasingly greater tq loss as the motor revs higher and higher. our motors don't even rev up to 7k (hell, you should be shifting by 5500rpms anyway), so who the hell cares?

as far as NOS and the AP go, i REALLY wouldn't recommend NOS, because that's probably going to blow you the hell up. the AP, on the other hand, should be a very good option. if you run the MSCAIv2 (which are made by AEM anyway) maps, it should work just fine for your AEM CAI.

if reliability is your first priority, i would recommend doing a custom tune using either access tuner race (free DIY tuning software) or protuner (pay a tuning shop) to smooth out the power delivery of the OTS maps that cobb provides. (imo, it's a little too raw as shipped) if you need help tuning it yourself, there are plenty of us on these forums that can give you a hand. if you live anywhere near the DC metro area, we can just meet up sometime and i'll run you through the process in person and help you get rolling. remember: the tune can be whatever the hell you want it to be, so as long as you're willing to learn, you should be able to get exactly what you want from the ECU.

finally, i recommend buying the AP used...it works just as well as a brand new one, and only costs like $450 these days. regardless, i guarantee that you will have a blast with it...
 Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #114

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default one more thing

Sacrilicious, not very good at this whole posting thing, otherwise, I would have emailed directly, so everyone please forgive this newb post being in the wrong spot, but in consideration of our ongoing discussion....the BPV is probably going to be the next item along with perhaps a cobb antisway in the rear....but considering more closely your reccs and my recent reads on tuning....Is a visit to a protuner( dont know of any in the harrisonburg va area) something that would require multiple visits, or more of a one stop re-tune based on the mods currently installed...that being said, if a "buddy" with AP availability could get his hands on my car, is it something that could be retuned on a "fixed" profile....or is this tuning pursuit the type of mod where I would constantly being fussing with different profiles based on the driving habit of the day? Sorry for my ignorance, but either option is a fairly decent investment and I want to get it right...ie- do my anticipated mods first, than tune....and if possible, just get a one stop shop retune that I wont have to mess with again...let me know your thoughts or email me directly at beissinger @ Gmail . COM
thanks, beis
 Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #115
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

the short version is that if you want the car to run as smoothly as it could, you should wait until you're done with your major modding before tuning it. the OTS maps aren't really the best permanent maps to run, imo, because they're a little too aggressive and raw, imo. once you make a tune for your car, though, you should not have to fool around with it. unless you go to a shitty tuner or do a bad job tuning the car, the tune should be usable 24/7...365 days a year.

as far as how you get the tune: since you're so close to fairfax va, i can give you a hand learning the basics of ATR so that you can tweak the OTS maps enough to iron out the roughness. if that doesn't feel right either, you can research a protuner in the NoVA area when the time comes, but until then, you should probably start off with the OTS maps followed by tweaking with ATR.
 Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #116

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sacrilicious View Post
hrrm...not sure what to tell you about your LTFTs, addikted...it's hard to tell whether you have a slight leak somewhere in your intake or not. have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor (not the teardrop thing, but the 2x resistors way up the tube)? a dirty MAF sensor can cause your LTFTs to go up.
Can you explain this for me. I've been cleaning the teardrop all this time. Doh! lol
 Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #117
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

there's actually two sensors in the MAF "sensor" assembly. the teardrop is the IAT sensor, and there's two really small resistors inside the assembly that make up the actual MAF sensor. these can be found like the hollow stalk of the MAF assembly. the tear drop is on the outside of the hollow stalk...the MAF sensor is up at the end of the hollow stalk if you tip the MAF assembly around and look all the way up the stalk.
shpankey (07-19-2010)
 Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #118

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

So just turn it upside down and spray the maf cleaner up in there? Or do I need to take it apart or anything? Thanks for the heads up btw.
 Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #119
pewpew

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

np...ya, just turn it upside down and spray the cleaner up into there. make sure to hit it with a few blasts to fully clean it out. i don't think you can actually take it apart even if you wanted to.
shpankey (07-19-2010)
 Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #120

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool. Done it, along with cleaning the air filter and re-oiling my bpv, then re-tightned all boost related clamps. Reset my ecu to learn new trims. Car rums much better now.

I still have the problem of "surging" or as another poster called it "wavy pulling" in 5th and 6th gears. But it's pulling better now. Not as good as it used to, before the surging issue, but better.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f11/discussion-how-bypass-valves-can-affect-ltfts-18962/
Posted By For Type Date
Forge BPV and boost leak question - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 02-27-2014 04:51 AM
Turbosmart dual port bov? - 2010 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums This thread Refback 06-28-2012 05:28 AM
Bypass valve small points (+ a boom theory!) - Page 2 This thread Refback 11-30-2011 06:29 AM
Bypass valve small points (+ a boom theory!) This thread Pingback 08-30-2011 04:02 AM
From out of no where SURGE! - Page 3 - MN Mazda Forums This thread Refback 06-17-2009 10:18 AM
Super lean at idle, AFR super high. - Mazda6 / Atenza This thread Refback 01-13-2009 02:21 PM