register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By tegxsi
  • 2 Post By CWP_MS3
  • 1 Post By zenit
  • 1 Post By mituc
  • 1 Post By Code Monkey
  • 1 Post By zenit
  • 1 Post By sharksinspace
  • 1 Post By Atticaz
  • 2 Post By Atticaz

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Atticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Flutter after BNR S4 install.

So I installed a BNR S4 for about a week ago. After the install I noticed that my Turbosmart bypass valve is fluttering upon release at and above 10psi. It did not flutter with the K0snore. What the shit causes this? K04 was running 20psi... BNR is currently 20ish.

Only change to my setup is:

BNR S4
Bosch 3bar MAP
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

Vid of flutter.
https://youtu.be/8rLYv5PU5ok

•Corksport: Power Series 3″ Intake, ECU Relocation Battery Box, Front Lower Control Arm Brace, Front Mount Core, HPFP Internals, Adjustable Short Shifter, Shift Weight, Solid Shifter Bushings, Rear Sway Bar, Dual VTA BPV, BPV Hose, Electronic Boost Gauge, Exhaust Hangers, Full Suspension, Injector Seals

•BNR: Stage 4 •Grimspeed: 3 Port EBCS •Bosch: 3 Bar MAP •Damond: Stage 1 OCC, Passenger, Transmission and Rear Mounts •CNT: Catted Turboback •CX Racing: Pipe Kit •Denso: ITV22's ~.026 •Drag: DR66's

•Block8head: Defrost Vent Gauge Pod •TWM: Leather Short Shift Boot •Depo: Smoked Side Markers •Cravenspeed: Stubby Antenna •Adaptive Performance: Intake Manifold and Throttle Body Super TIG's •OTHERS: Throttle body coolant bypass and Upper radiator hose reroute. Goodyear: Part No. 61087
Atticaz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #2

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 62
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did the vacuum line on the BPV come off? You would have a big vacuum leak though...

Maybe clean and relube the valve.

2007 TSX 6MT
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Atticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
Did the vacuum line on the BPV come off? You would have a big vacuum leak though...

Maybe clean and relube the valve.
That's wait I was thinking. Re-lube. All hoses are snug. The TS BPV is a pain in the ass to open. This'll be fun.

•Corksport: Power Series 3″ Intake, ECU Relocation Battery Box, Front Lower Control Arm Brace, Front Mount Core, HPFP Internals, Adjustable Short Shifter, Shift Weight, Solid Shifter Bushings, Rear Sway Bar, Dual VTA BPV, BPV Hose, Electronic Boost Gauge, Exhaust Hangers, Full Suspension, Injector Seals

•BNR: Stage 4 •Grimspeed: 3 Port EBCS •Bosch: 3 Bar MAP •Damond: Stage 1 OCC, Passenger, Transmission and Rear Mounts •CNT: Catted Turboback •CX Racing: Pipe Kit •Denso: ITV22's ~.026 •Drag: DR66's

•Block8head: Defrost Vent Gauge Pod •TWM: Leather Short Shift Boot •Depo: Smoked Side Markers •Cravenspeed: Stubby Antenna •Adaptive Performance: Intake Manifold and Throttle Body Super TIG's •OTHERS: Throttle body coolant bypass and Upper radiator hose reroute. Goodyear: Part No. 61087
 Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Atticaz View Post
That's wait I was thinking. Re-lube. All hoses are snug. The TS BPV is a pain in the ass to open. This'll be fun.
If it's the kompact version I use a rubber or silicone grip thingie... the type that is used to open jars.
Atticaz likes this.

2007 TSX 6MT
The Following User Says Thank You to tegxsi For This Useful Post:
Atticaz (01-30-2017)
 Old 01-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
hidin in yo bushes

CWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 12,742 Times in 4,717 Posts
Groans: 122
Groaned at 70 Times in 57 Posts

Self-adjusting HKS SSQV4 FTMFW!

I had a turbosmart dual port that I loved, but just could not get it right. Kept causing hesitation and backfires no matter what I did. Finally went back to TurboXS and then SSQV.
Atticaz and APEXistud like this.

Rich Tuned
330WHP and 363TQ
10-19-13 Moore Automotive

CWP_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CWP_MS3 For This Useful Post:
Atticaz (01-30-2017), MS3Shadow (01-30-2017), WAMBUSHHHH! (02-02-2017)
 Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it's the kompact version I use a rubber or silicone grip thingie... the type that is used to open jars.
Serviced it today. Wasn't too dirty. I re-lubed it. I'm still getting the same shit. No flutter in low boost... just in boost of around 10psi and higher. I have a call in to Turbosmart, to see what they say. I don't get the BPV was fine with the K04, but is being a picking hooker with the BNR S4.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:16 AM   #7
hidin in yo bushes

CWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the world

Do you have the factory BPV still?

Rich Tuned
330WHP and 363TQ

Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #8

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,972 Times in 1,125 Posts
Groans: 96
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The BPV piston is simply too heavy to flutter because the pressure pushing the piston can't simply vary that fast to make it flutter. I reckon the flutter comes from the wastegate actuator or from the turbo itself. I ran my turbosmart at 26PSI and it didn't flutter. I switched then to the Cobb XLE and I only got some turbo flutter when I made the valve too stiff.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-01-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
hidin in yo bushes

Yeah, I would try to swap it out and see if its compressor surge.

Rich Tuned
330WHP and 363TQ

Last edited by CWP_MS3; 02-01-2017 at 06:09 AM.
 Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #10

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,026 Times in 705 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
The BPV piston is simply too heavy to flutter because the pressure pushing the piston can't simply vary that fast to make it flutter. I reckon the flutter comes from the wastegate actuator or from the turbo itself. I ran my turbosmart at 26PSI and it didn't flutter. I switched then to the Cobb XLE and I only got some turbo flutter when I made the valve too stiff.
That's compressor surge, which is no bueno for a journal bearing turbo.

It sounds like the turbo smart needs a lighter weight oil (sewing oil or lightweight hydraulic oil) and/or a lighter spring.

I was having issues with the turbo smart bpv actuation, similar to what you described. I swapped to a lighter weight spring, and it helped.

I think the mechanism of action with the bpv causing surge, is that you swapped a smaller, more restrictive k04 compressor wheel (produces some vacuum off boost), to a bigger, less restrictive s4 compressor wheel, and now have less vacuum.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #11

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

The turbosmart BPV is fine (as in properly sized), I've used one with both the factory K04 and with a GTX3071.
The only problem with it was the sealing o-ring which swelled over time, probably from the sewing machine oil I was using. It's really uncommon for a BPV to flutter. the BPV however can start clunking when it opens if it doesn't have lubrication. But it can't flutter!
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CWP_MS3 View Post
Do you have the factory BPV still?
Originally Posted by CWP_MS3 View Post
Yeah, I would try to swap it out and see if its compressor surge.
It's the Turbosmart BPV. The Street Unit version. Yeah, I can't see the issue being the TS BPV. The spring pressure of TS BPV is noticeable lighter than the OEM BPV and I don't get any flutter at boost. All happens after I let off the gas.

http://www.streetunit.com/Turbosmart...-0997-1009.htm

Old 02-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenit View Post
That's compressor surge, which is no bueno for a journal bearing turbo.

It sounds like the turbo smart needs a lighter weight oil (sewing oil or lightweight hydraulic oil) and/or a lighter spring.

I was having issues with the turbo smart bpv actuation, similar to what you described. I swapped to a lighter weight spring, and it helped.

I think the mechanism of action with the bpv causing surge, is that you swapped a smaller, more restrictive k04 compressor wheel (produces some vacuum off boost), to a bigger, less restrictive s4 compressor wheel, and now have less vacuum.
I have always used CLP gun oil. It's really light stuff. When I cleaned it yesterday, it was still well lubed and piston moved freely. I am waiting for a Turbosmart Rep to call me back. We will see what they say.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

It's the Turbosmart BPV. The Street Unit version. Yeah, I can't see the issue being the TS BPV. The spring pressure of TS BPV is noticeable lighter than the OEM BPV and I don't get any flutter at boost. All happens after I let off the gas.
Mine was the SU version as well, I purchased it back in 2010.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following User Says Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
Atticaz (02-01-2017)
 Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine was the SU version as well, I purchased it back in 2010.
I'm lost here. I was speaking to another speed owner that has a TS BPV and BNR S3, she said hers does the same. I still have my OEM BPV. I also have the optional stronger Trubosmart spring (pink). I may give those both a try, while waiting for the Rep to get back to me.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #16

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm lost here. I was speaking to another speed owner that has a TS BPV and BNR S3, she said hers does the same. I still have my OEM BPV. I also have the optional stronger Trubosmart spring (pink). I may give those both a try, while waiting for the Rep to get back to me.
Get a green or blue spring.
OEM and TS bpv springs cannot be compared, as they function differently.
Atticaz likes this.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
 Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

The pink spring is too stiff, use the green one.
A stiffer spring will not hold boost better as the BPV does not open under boost (at least not at these boost values we run them at, say below 30PSI), it will only dictate how fast and soon the BPV will open when you let off the acceleration, and in these conditions you want it to open as fast as possible.
Atticaz likes this.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The pink spring is too stiff, use the green one.
A stiffer spring will not hold boost better as the BPV does not open under boost (at least not at these boost values we run them at, say below 30PSI), it will only dictate how fast and soon the BPV will open when you let off the acceleration, and in these conditions you want it to open as fast as possible.
The green one is in there.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I put my stock BPV in. Flutter is gone. Also all the excessive exhaust piping I've been getting is gone. I think I need a completely different BPV definitely. I got tired of waiting around for turbosmarts reply.

EDIT: Stock BPV is not holding full boost. Current revision is at 21PSI. Only hitting 19.2.

Last edited by Atticaz; 02-01-2017 at 10:55 AM.
 Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #20

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,683 Times in 3,808 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was speaking to another speed owner ..., she said
Pictures or gtfo.
Atticaz likes this.

2000 E39 M5

2001 MR2 2ZZ

2017 Subaru BRZ
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
sharksinspace (02-01-2017), Thor Hammer (02-01-2017)
 Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Pictures or gtfo.
HAHAHHAAHHAAAAA. *Cries as walking out.* *door slams*

Last edited by Atticaz; 02-01-2017 at 11:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticaz For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-01-2017)
 Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Code Monkey; What BPV you running with your S3? I just have the full recirc one now, with the green spring (the one that is supposed to be for the MS3/MS6/CX-7). As stated above, I put my OEM BPV back to check shit out and flutter is gone. It's not holding full boost pressure (about 90ish%). But, I am thinking I need to get a different one.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #23

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,683 Times in 3,808 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Synapse DV.

2000 E39 M5

2001 MR2 2ZZ

2017 Subaru BRZ
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Atticaz (02-01-2017)
 Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Synapse DV.
I take it, no issues... and you love it. I need to get rid of this flutter. I HATE it. I'll check this one out.

I'm trying to decide if I wanna try the new CS VTA BPV, the Turbosmart Dual Port, GFB 50/50 or..... Current one is NOT cutting it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Atticaz For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-01-2017)
 Old 02-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe your BPV piston doesn't move properly and that's why you get the flutter, and that's why the flutter got away with the factory BPV. So you just need a new BPV and yes, whatever you get keep it in full recirc.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
Atticaz (02-01-2017), Code Monkey (02-01-2017)
 Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

OEM uses a lightweight plastic piston and under low vacuum cracks open a hair (kind of like a synchronic BPV's).

It also tends to leak at the assembly seam.
Atticaz likes this.

-wetzel
 Old 02-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenit View Post
OEM uses a lightweight plastic piston and under low vacuum cracks open a hair (kind of like a synchronic BPV's).

It also tends to leak at the assembly seam.
Yeah. I already took it out.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe your BPV piston doesn't move properly and that's why you get the flutter, and that's why the flutter got away with the factory BPV. So you just need a new BPV and yes, whatever you get keep it in full recirc.
It's unbelievable. Yesterday I called Turbosmart USA directly. They said the tech guy was busy and they'd call me back. I even messaged them on Facebook. Got a reply to email them, if I had a tech question. Still no reply.

I also messaged BNR, just to see what their thoughts were on the matter, since it "does' involve one of their products. No reply.

I'm gonna give the new Corksport VTA BPV a chance. It only vents to atmosphere at high boost. Wish me luck. I'll report back, when I get and install it.

Last edited by Atticaz; 02-01-2017 at 06:05 PM.
 Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't VTA, just stay full recirc.
StratiVersaTuned FTW

Last edited by mituc; 02-01-2017 at 09:15 PM.
 Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #30

impossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the world
Groans: 30
Groaned at 58 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Surprised no one asked this but how often are you maintenancing your push type bov?
GO: GTX2867R + Cp-e LTR Manifold + TiAL 44mm MVR EWG + Kozmic Dump Tube VTA'd / HTP 3.5" Intake / Cobb AP V2 / AT HPFP Internals / Treadstone TR8 FMIC / NGK Iridiums / Stratified EBCS / Bosch 3Bar MAP / M2 Catless 3" DP + HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
/ JBR 88a RMM, 80a PMM / TiAL QR BOV / Kozmic Primary EGR Delete + Kozmic Oil Feed & Return Lines
SHOW: Big TWM Type R knob / JBR Camber Arms / BC Racing BR Type Coilovers / MB Battles w/ 265/35/18 RS-R Meats / Stoptech Slotted Rotors & Hawk HPS Pads + SS Brake lines / Eonon D5151 Head Unit /
Cp-e Triple Gauge Pod / DG Motorsports CF Wing Extension
Tuned by Captain KR @ PD Tuning

2016 Current Setup: Cobb AP V3 / AT HPFP / TR8 FMIC / Coolant Bypass / lil JBR SRI & TIP / DM & JBR Trilogy Mounts / Stratified EBCS / M2 DP / NGK Iridium Plugs / GFB Respons BPV / DM EGR Delete / Kozmic Oil Feed / Pu Valve Cover + SP63 Breather + big K&N Vent filter / RP PCV Plate vented to Kozmic Catch Can / Whiteline 27mm RSB + Moog Endlinks / BSD & Baffle / Gino PNP Intake Mani + SURE TIGs + Corksport 3.5bar MAP & BeCuse Seals / Eonon GA5151F Android Head Unit / 2008+ RX8 Y-spoke wheels / Tuning in progress with 2.0t03speed (Ryan) @ PD Tuning
Parts to Install as of December 2016: FJ Turbo Kit w/ Underrouted hot pipe, T3 BW S360SX 60mm, TiAL MVR 44mm EWG VTA'd, JMF V1 Intake Manifold, Ramfab 4" Intake, Kozmic 6th Port Kit w/ 2200cc Injectors & Upgraded ITFP, Greddy Ti-C catback (Ricer rare special), ACT HD 6-Puck + Gen2 Transmission, TR1035 FMIC
impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #31

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 40
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't VTA, just stay full recirc.
FWIW, the CS dual-port is only VTA at higher boost pressures, and even then I think it's still only partly VTA. They say it requires no tweaks to your tune to run properly (reviewers report no issues with richness) and won't mess with idle, etc. Personally, I'd love to give the thing a try but I already have their original BPV and can't justify dropping almost $300 just for it to make different sounds.
Atticaz likes this.
Koni Str.t; Swift Springs; JBR STS; Sumi HTR Z III on RX8s
PD by Will
sharksinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by impossible View Post
Surprised no one asked this but how often are you maintenancing your push type bov?
Every oil change. I did and extra cleaning the day before yesterday.

Flutter after BNR S4 install.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

I had the original CS BPV and didn't like how it didn't have an air tight seal when closed. The new VTA version as a gasket at the piston seat which is better.
Does the new CS VTA valve still use that "wave" spring that like breaks into 2-3 pieces?

2007 TSX 6MT
 Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sharksinspace View Post
FWIW, the CS dual-port is only VTA at higher boost pressures, and even then I think it's still only partly VTA. They say it requires no tweaks to your tune to run properly (reviewers report no issues with richness) and won't mess with idle, etc. Personally, I'd love to give the thing a try but I already have their original BPV and can't justify dropping almost $300 just for it to make different sounds.
VTA at any boost level is not that good. It means (probably only marginally) hotter exhaust gases, more soot therefore higher chances for getting hot spots, and some extra fuel in the cylinders which at that high boost - so high piston and cylinder temps - will also thin out or even wash away the oil film from the cylinder walls.
So no, only full recirc is a viable option.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #35

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had the original CS BPV and didn't like how it didn't have an air tight seal when closed. The new VTA version as a gasket at the piston seat which is better.
Does the new CS VTA valve still use that "wave" spring that like breaks into 2-3 pieces?
I don't know if the dual-port uses the wave design, but Vincent told me when I needed a replacement spring that they've worked with the manufacturer to start making them out of a stronger material; breaking shouldn't continue to be a problem, going forward.

VTA at any boost level is not that good. It means (probably only marginally) hotter exhaust gases, more soot therefore higher chances for getting hot spots, and some extra fuel in the cylinders which at that high boost - so high piston and cylinder temps - will also thin out or even wash away the oil film from the cylinder walls.
So no, only full recirc is a viable option.
Blah, blah, blah. Look man, I respect your level of knowledge but how many guys are running at least partial VTA with little or no problem? If you want to run full recirc forever, more power to you, but it does not appear to be "the only viable option."
PD by Will

Last edited by sharksinspace; 02-02-2017 at 07:35 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 02-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sharksinspace View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Look man, I respect your level of knowledge but how many guys are running at least partial VTA with little or no problem? If you want to run full recirc forever, more power to you, but it does not appear to be "the only viable option."
I'm only trying to steer people in the right direction to do things right. If it's "blah blah" for you that's a different story. I know this kind of statements "I'm doing this and I've never had a problem" or "Used this with no problem". The fact that someone never had a problem so far doing something wrong doesn't mean it's the new correct approach.

These cars generate and build a lot of soot in various places in the engine. Running very rich at low load even for short amounts of time makes this issue a lot worse. The soot build-up is one of the reasons for cracked ringlands on otherwise stock cars. If you don't care about yours because you intend to sell it within the next 1-2 years doesn't mean that others don't care either.

So if you want to do something only for the show maybe other people are interested in applying the "blah blah" correctly. So let people hear both sides of the story and have them decide for themselves if they only want to blip the throttle in parking lots at 2000rpm to draw attention with that PSHHH PSHHH, or want the full enchiladas from their engine both in therms of power and longevity.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 02-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't take issue with your desire to explain why you think full recirc is a better option (and I happen to agree for the most part, realistically); I take issue with your referring to it as "the only viable option." That's not presenting both sides, that's presenting one side and declaring out of hand that the other is inherently incorrect.

I wouldn't run full VTA on this car, and the BPV I've got is full recirc, but I think it's a bit hyperbolic to act like using a valve that is partial VTA under only certain circumstances, while otherwise being recirc, is such a hugely detrimental decision.
PD by Will
 Old 02-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I messaged Luke to find out. He said:

"The new valve doesnt use a wave spring. We used a much stronger spring this time around"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atticaz For This Useful Post:
sharksinspace (02-02-2017), tegxsi (02-02-2017)
 Old 02-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm only trying to steer people in the right direction to do things right. If it's "blah blah" for you that's a different story. I know this kind of statements "I'm doing this and I've never had a problem" or "Used this with no problem". The fact that someone never had a problem so far doing something wrong doesn't mean it's the new correct approach.

These cars generate and build a lot of soot in various places in the engine. Running very rich at low load even for short amounts of time makes this issue a lot worse. The soot build-up is one of the reasons for cracked ringlands on otherwise stock cars. If you don't care about yours because you intend to sell it within the next 1-2 years doesn't mean that others don't care either.

So if you want to do something only for the show maybe other people are interested in applying the "blah blah" correctly. So let people hear both sides of the story and have them decide for themselves if they only want to blip the throttle in parking lots at 2000rpm to draw attention with that PSHHH PSHHH, or want the full enchiladas from their engine both in therms of power and longevity.
For the record: I'm not buying it for the sound, but for function; no other reason. Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them. I've done my research. I'm good with my choice. We'll see how things turn out after install.
sharksinspace likes this.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default UPDATE:

So I have had the Corksport dual VTA BPV in for about a week and a half. Flutter is gone.

I am digging this BPV. The VTA sound isn't overbearing at all. The only thing that bugged me is the BPV has a sequence of whistles it makes as its releasing lower pressures. Luke at Corksport and I call it the mockingjay. lol. Its annoying at first. But it grows on you. I thought there was an issue with it. But, turns out its a byproduct of the piston design.

Here's a vid I made.

https://youtu.be/tEsvlybAhoU
markos213 and sharksinspace like this.