register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Alpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,411 Posts
Groans: 24
Groaned at 109 Times in 61 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Thumbs up New Borg Warner EFR Turbochargers!!!

Hello new technology, goodbye old headaches of EWGs and creepy, poorly designed IWGs!

BorgWarner EFR Turbos | Full-Race.com

These also have a built in EBC AND BPV for super responsive and efficient means. Please SOMEONE step up and built a kit around these so I don't have to go custom!

These will change everything for us, I can feel it. IWG simplicity across the board is priceless IMHO.

Let's dig in!

Props to SSinstaller for giving me the heads up!
LemonWrath likes this.

Last edited by Alpha; 01-27-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (01-27-2011), FreeFlyFreak (01-27-2011), I Love Brownies (01-27-2011), kgb (01-27-2011), Kydizzle (01-27-2011), labikesrcool (01-27-2011), MGM_GT3 (01-30-2011), PunjabiPlaya (01-30-2011), RichieRichness (10-29-2013), SpeedSixxx (02-26-2011), SSinstaller (01-27-2011), TRex (01-27-2011), triplejumper18 (01-30-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,381 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sounds awsome...if i am reading it right we could eliminate need of a bpv on the IC piping...utilize the stock EBCS (but with the Borg solenoid) and leave it as an IWG...really all that leaves is lines and a manifold to fit it...
TRex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRex For This Useful Post:
Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Alpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
sounds awsome...if i am reading it right we could eliminate need of a bpv on the IC piping...utilize the stock EBCS (but with the Borg solenoid) and leave it as an IWG...really all that leaves is lines and a manifold to fit it...
Exactly! REALLY cleans everything up and minimizes things. With Steedspeed and CP-E's upcoming manifolds and optional flanges, all we REALLY need is a DP and a custom intake!

Honestly, I don't think anyone really WANTS to run EWG, they've just been forced to do it to ensure boost control. This changes everything as that's no longer an issue! Plus the efficiency, quick spool, and overall design is simply unmatched in performance!
FreeFlyFreak (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

no not even a custom intake...look at the specs for the 6258 (which i think would be perfect) 2.5" intake...you can use any intake that fits the k04...or is the k04 2.25? i forget....regardless it wouldnt be too bad at all
Alpha (12-17-2015)
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Thumbs up

no not even a custom intake...look at the specs for the 6258 (which i think would be perfect) 2.5" intake...you can use any intake that fits the k04...or is the k04 2.25? i forget....regardless it wouldnt be too bad at all
Good call! Same with the 6758!
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Team Überfrazn

labikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

geez these things are all in one packages. all they need is the port to mount the injector for the anti-lag haha.
- Mitch Hedberg
labikesrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to labikesrcool For This Useful Post:
Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

And techincally cheaper than the ATP's considering you don't need an EBC or BPV.

Someone use these in a kit or make us DPs!
 Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

shouldnt be hard to find a 3" v-band....lots of guys on here are running custom 3" v-bands
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

shouldnt be hard to find a 3" v-band....lots of guys on here are running custom 3" v-bands
I'm just wondering about the T25 flange being too small? That thing would spool like stock, lightning quick!

They do have a twin scroll T4 flange available in the smaller line. Or a T3 once you hit the 7064 series.
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

i guess it would depend on your power goal...personally im liking the 6258....350+ with stock like spool...what could be better?
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #11

Brian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The T-25 Flange is used on turbos up to and including a GT3076 50/0.60

The GT3076 is rated up to 525WHP...

It would be fine unless you were trying to run a turbo that was larger than that..
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #12

amoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,334 Times in 586 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Seems like if you could get leen to make you a T25 manifold and grab yourself a V band DP you could get up and running fairly easy.
Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
Seems like if you could get leen to make you a T25 manifold and grab yourself a V band DP you could get up and running fairly easy.
Yeah man, I'm setting my sights on running a EFR 6758!!!

I don't think 340-360 AWHP would be hard to hit reliably with that!
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #14

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,571 Times in 1,692 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Their IWG is a work of art...
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

i would recommend comparing the compressor map of both the 6258 and 6758 alpha...i really think you will be running more efficiently with the 6258 under at that power level...
Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #16

amoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,334 Times in 586 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i would recommend comparing the compressor map of both the 6258 and 6758 alpha...i really think you will be running more efficiently with the 6258 under at that power level...
I would like to see those next to each other... and then I would like for someone to explain to me what hell I'm looking at.... Stupid compressor maps and all their lines.
Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah? I'm really trying to leave a little room for growth and potentially forged internals and 400 AWHP someday. Plus, with the quick spool characteristics, I think it'd be a pretty good happy median in the meantime. Keep in mind that the MS6 driveline eats A LOT of power before making AWHP.
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #18

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

go here to find your turbo

BorgWarner MatchBot

Use the outputs to see where you'll be sitting on the compressor maps for the various turbos..
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Alpha (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
go here to find your turbo

BorgWarner MatchBot
Damn! I'm such a newb. lol But that's why we have a board!
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #21

Kydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the worldKydizzle is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

im gonna save my pennys up for a build with these turbos. looks real nice
2008 Silver MS3 GT - BNR S2, CP-E HPFP, CP-E Nano, Cobb FMIC, Cobb AP(E-85 Mix [FREEKTUNE]), GrimmSpeed EBCS, CNT Exhaust, Corksport DP, SU Test Pipe W/ Magnaflow HFC, Forge BPV v1, EGR Delete, AWR RMM, SU Shifter Bushing, CP-E Towplate, BC Coilovers, Cobb RSB, Motegi SP-10 HyperBlack(19lbs)
Kydizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

you need at least .38 kg/sec for 20psi at 7K rpm --6258 and 6758 are too small..

7064 is good
7670 is great

8374 would be a bad ass high boost turbo..

Last edited by SSinstaller; 01-27-2011 at 04:06 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
Alpha (01-27-2011), amoosenamedhank (01-27-2011), TRex (01-27-2011)
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

^my man is right that calculator helps a lot...sry for jumping the gun with 6258 praise...ima have to play with this a bit

at 18 psi on the 6258 i wasnt even putting down 305 hp till 5500 rpm

this calculator is awsome
 Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #24

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,768 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

how about the 7064
BorgWarner EFR 7064 Turbo - Full-Race.com

and its on sale... only +$200 from the 62xx
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 AP // Corksport CTS4
// HKS Ignition // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #25

Andy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud ofAndy@Killshot has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Yeah man, I'm setting my sights on running a EFR 6758!!!

I don't think 340-360 AWHP would be hard to hit reliably with that!
Project I am building for a customers Miata using a 6758, these EFR's are the BOMB.
MX-5 EFR Turbo Build
Andy@Killshot is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bmorrisj View Post
how about the 7064
BorgWarner EFR 7064 Turbo - Full-Race.com

and its on sale... only +$200 from the 62xx
I'd go with this one. It's only $100 more and has a little more headroom. right in the peak efficiency at 20psi, but still on the map up to 28psi at redline...

BorgWarner EFR 7670 Turbo - Full-Race.com

It'll spool slower, but that's not really a bad thing.. It should still hit 20psi around 3.5K rpm.. IMO it's a better turbo than my GT35R, I wish it was available when I did my build..

Last edited by SSinstaller; 01-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.
 Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey ss what values would you use for the various inputs on th calculator? could you just put them in and post the link here (it retains the values)? i was playing arond and cant get a setup to work efficiently with the 7064....

im doing rpm points 3000-5500 in steps of 500

i cant quite get the first or last point to get to the 70 comp .83 a/r phi line...

nevermind i figured it out

but what exactly is wastegate choke? is it turbine choke? i.e. no more increase in mass flow? im guessing you want to try and avoid this ya?

ok read some more...i think creep begins to occur once the wastegate has become choked....right? since you cant flow any more (mass) past the choke point...

using the calculator at the top end i would require a 30 mm WG...there is no info on the Borg site stating their IWG size...anyone know the k04 IWG size?

Last edited by TRex; 01-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.
 Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,222 Times in 2,348 Posts
Groaned at 35 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you need at least .38 kg/sec for 20psi at 7K rpm --6258 and 6758 are too small..

7064 is good
7670 is great

8374 would be a bad ass high boost turbo..
The 62 and 67 turbos have a 2.5" inlet. 70 and bigger 3.5" inlet.
if you go 70 or bigger you'll probably need a top turbo mount set up and FMIC. TMIC would not work.

The 6758 should be good for 17 to 18 psi at red line depending on AITs ( edit: at sea level) and you could use a regular low (?) mount manifold and a TMIC. I've taken a few measurements and I am not sure whether the 6758 will fit in the stock location. It is about 2" longer than the K04 and has 3.25" V band flange. I am not sure if it would clear the alternator once the V-band DP goes on. If tit does it would definitely be tight unless you get a manifold with a collector that extends more toward the drivers side.

Using the Matchbot calculation do not pay attention to the "wastegate choked yes/no" part. To get all points on the expansion ratio to give you a NO you would need a huge hot side/wastegate. The 36mm Internal wastegate should be plenty for our engines. There would be some boost creep but it would be minimal. Way less than even the 8 psi spring pressure which IIRC is the lowest spring pressure they offer out of 3 different ones.

The K04 wastegate is about 25mm.

Last edited by Tomas; 01-30-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
TRex (01-31-2011)
 Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey ss what values would you use for the various inputs on th calculator? could you just put them in and post the link here (it retains the values)? i was playing arond and cant get a setup to work efficiently with the 7064....

im doing rpm points 3000-5500 in steps of 500

i cant quite get the first or last point to get to the 70 comp .83 a/r phi line...

nevermind i figured it out

but what exactly is wastegate choke? is it turbine choke? i.e. no more increase in mass flow? im guessing you want to try and avoid this ya?

ok read some more...i think creep begins to occur once the wastegate has become choked....right? since you cant flow any more (mass) past the choke point...

using the calculator at the top end i would require a 30 mm WG...there is no info on the Borg site stating their IWG size...anyone know the k04 IWG size?
IIRC the the internal wastegate on the EFR's >70 is ~42mm... It should be plenty big enough unless your trying to run less than stock boost levels..

TRex (01-31-2011)
 Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

got it..thanks tomas and ss....yea tomas i was looking at the sizing of the efr and it seems like it would be a bear....but top mount turbo may not be so bad....
 Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd go with this one. It's only $100 more and has a little more headroom. right in the peak efficiency at 20psi, but still on the map up to 28psi at redline...

BorgWarner EFR 7670 Turbo - Full-Race.com

It'll spool slower, but that's not really a bad thing.. It should still hit 20psi around 3.5K rpm.. IMO it's a better turbo than my GT35R, I wish it was available when I did my build..
Which do you think would be best for a 350 - 380~ AWHP goal considering the AWD losses, the 7064 or the 7670?

I definitely want to go T4 twin scroll either way.
 Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Which do you think would be best for a 350 - 380~ AWHP goal considering the AWD losses, the 7064 or the 7670?

I definitely want to go T4 twin scroll either way.
Both will hit that number without too much trouble, but IMO the 7670 would be the better option on a stock block.. As long as you can keep the boost under control in the upper rpms, the slower boost onset should be easier on the OEM rods.

And if you do decide to build the motor down the road, you don't have to add the expense of swapping the turbo again...

Alpha (02-09-2011)
 Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Both will hit that number without too much trouble, but IMO the 7670 would be the better option on a stock block.. As long as you can keep the boost under control in the upper rpms, the slower boost onset should be easier on the OEM rods.

And if you do decide to build the motor down the road, you don't have to add the expense of swapping the turbo again...
It sounds like going top mount would be mandatory with the 7 series EFRs? They're actually not as long as the 6 series in length. If I have a custom manifold made that'll shift the turbo closer to the drivers side, it should be pretty straightforward.

With twin scroll, the manifold would have to be designed diferently right?
 Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

It sounds like going top mount would be mandatory with the 7 series EFRs? They're actually not as long as the 6 series in length. If I have a custom manifold made that'll shift the turbo closer to the drivers side, it should be pretty straightforward.

With twin scroll, the manifold would have to be designed diferently right?
There's no point using a twin scroll turbine housing, if your not going to design the manifold to take advantage. But, as long as the flanges are the same you can bolt a twin scroll turbo up to a standard manifold...

Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

There's no point using a twin scroll turbine housing, if your not going to design the manifold to take advantage. But, as long as the flanges are the same you can bolt a twin scroll turbo up to a standard manifold...
Would making a twin scroll manifold be more difficult with these turbos? I found some info saying that those manifolds need exhaust pulses as far apart as possible.

"A twin scroll turbine housing uses dual side by side passages into the housing. When coupled with a pulse converter manifold that separates exhaust pulses as many crank degrees in the firing order as possible, a twin scroll or divided housing works to reduce lag, decrease exhaust manifold backpressure on the top end, reduce the potential for reversion, and increase fuel economy. The twin scroll is based off the same reasoning a tri-Y header uses: keep spent exhaust gases out of an adjacent cylinder drawing in fresh air. At high rpm on a turbo car, exhaust backpressure is usually significantly higher than atmospheric pressure, and often higher than intake manifold pressure as well. A divider between each of the two volutes allows the cylinders to expel the exhaust gases without it interfering with the fresh air for combustion. Since there are two openings, each a smaller overall volume than a single scroll design, the exhaust velocity of each pulse can be maintained. This also spins the impeller more easily because lag is a function of the scroll area. A single turbine housing opening isn't as efficient since cylinders on the exhaust stroke of the 4 stroke cycle contaminate the cylinders that are on overlap with exhaust gas. A conventional turbine housing is not as effective in using exhaust pulse energy to help spin the turbine up to speed as it does not exploit the energy contained in the pulses as well."

More info on the benefits of a twin scroll setup: http://www.full-race.com/modified-twinscroll/index.html

Last edited by Alpha; 02-10-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Would making a twin scroll manifold be more difficult with these turbos? I found some info saying that those manifolds need exhaust pulses as far apart as possible.
The only extra work comes from having to pair the cylinders properly(1-4,3-2), instead of just getting all four to the collector as easily/quickly as possible... The IWG saves you the headache of having to run two separate wastegates...

It shouldn't be a problem for any decent fabricator..

Alpha (02-09-2011)
 Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Thumbs up

The only extra work comes from having to pair the cylinders properly(1-4,3-2), instead of just getting all four to the collector as easily/quickly as possible... The IWG saves you the headache of having to run two separate wastegates...

Awesome! Thanks!
 Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #38
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,222 Times in 2,348 Posts
Groaned at 35 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Steedspeed makes a twin scroll top mount apparently.
 Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Steedspeed makes a twin scroll top mount apparently.
I don't think it's twin scroll. Could be wrong though.
 Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #40

MS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the worldMS6_Auburn_Fan is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't think it's twin scroll. Could be wrong though.
It is a true twin scroll top mount.
MS6_Auburn_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MS6_Auburn_Fan For This Useful Post:
Alpha (02-10-2011)