register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default PCV valve delete?

I've finally figured out that my turbo smokes when back pressure in the catless downpipe drops during deceleration in gear above 3k rpm, and in between shifts during throttle lift off.

What do u guys think of replacing the pcv valve with a higher flowing check valve from Damond Motorsports?

I would simply block off the pcv valve with a cap, and then run that hose to another port on the pcv plate. The check valve at the intake manifold will now become the pcv valve with reduced restriction.
@Fstrnyou; mentioned that he had tried this setup with no issues. I just wanted to get a few more opinions

I figure that more vacuum needs to be pulled on the crankcase to overcome the lack of back pressure in the downpipe during decel and lift off to prevent oil from being drawn past the turbine seal and blowing blue smoke.

Thoughts?
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 2 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 11-12-2018 at 08:56 AM.
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

JSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the world
Groans: 101
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You will sink your vacuum at idle, and pull all sorts of oil into the IM if you put in a check valve that flows too freely.
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
You will sink your vacuum at idle, and pull all sorts of oil into the IM if you put in a check valve that flows too freely.
Thanks for the response man! I've got the OCC in place, so that would keep oil out of the IM. The check valve would be the one that Damond Motorsports provided with the OCC. So definitely less restrictive than the PCV valve.

I'm wondering if having the PCV valve out of the equation will pull a stronger vacuum on the crankcase during decel and throttle lift off to prevent oil from being pulled past the turbo seal when back pressure in the downpipe drops.

Do u have experience with this?

I'm planning on measuring crankcase pressure by hooking up my AEM digital boost gauge to a modified oil filler cap to see what difference a setup like this would make with vacuum on the crankcase.
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 2 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 11-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.
 Old 11-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

JSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had an OCC in place too. Still sunk vacuum and got oil in the IM. Wasnt using a DM check valve though.

Where is vacuum applied to the turbo when it could possibly affect oil sealing?
 Old 11-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Which check valve were u using?

Vacuum on the turbos oil drain during deceleration and throttle lift off between shifts. Pressure goes from high to low, so if there is barely any back pressure in the downpipe, oil might take the path of least resistance which might be past the seal an into the exhaust
 Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Can confirm that this model will NOT work out well without the OEM PCV valve.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/251010/10002/-1
The Following User Says Thank You to JSmith For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (11-17-2018)
 Old 11-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
Can confirm that this model will NOT work out well without the OEM PCV valve.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/251010/10002/-1
I think the oem pcv valve might be more important than I thought in terms of regulating vacuum on the crankcase. Maybe having too much pull from the intake manifold can cause problems like you had with oil in the intake.

The smoking seems to have stopped after I emptied out my OCC but it was dark outside so my judgement could have been flawed. A little bit more that normal came out. Maybe it was frozen in there due to the colder temps causing a blockage. I installed the DM dual catch cans just this past summer so this is the first time they are seeing the cold. As usual only the OCC going to the IM had oil in it. The other vented can always has nothing. I'm gonna do more testing after winter and keep this thread updated. Tbh I'm tired of beating this issue to death but I'm obsessed with this car so...

Last edited by BuddySpeed3; 11-17-2018 at 08:04 AM.
 Old 11-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My catch can for the valve cover was always empty as well.

That Earls check valve is designed for fuel. Fuel has a lot more mass than air, so it's possible that a little bit of airflow doesn't create enough force to push the flapper shut.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

One of the reasons I went with that check valve was that it had a published spec for pressure to seal. 0.5 PSI is a pretty low threshold.