register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,644 Times in 841 Posts
Groans: 95
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Seeking BNR Stage 1 Turbo User Experiences

So, I've got a smoking K04 turbo finally after 135,000 miles. It's a rebuilt one after the OEM one had a compressor vane strike the housing and break the vane. The rebullt K04 lasted two years and is now smoking. I've been happy with power from the K04 on my modest tune. I'm not interested in big turbo or in a different tune. The engine is otherwise strong with static compression of 185 on three cylinders and 175 on #3 with no leak down concerns.

What I am interested in is experience with the BNR Stage 1 turbo which seems to be a hybrid K04 with Garrett GT 28 series guts. It's supposed to be plug and play on stock tune or other mild tunes.

Is it truly plug and play? Were there any install issues? Did it cure the "smoking turbo" problem? How has it held up?

I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Thanks, all.
Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods:TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

WAMBUSHHHH! has disabled reputation
Thanked 1,282 Times in 675 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll be forthright in that I have no experience with the S1. It sounds like you're pretty happy with the overall performance of the K04 and have no real interest of moving past that power range. If that's the case, stick with a K04. You can do the same for less by going that route.

Now, if your thought process is I like the power range of the K04 but could see myself wanting a little extra, the S1 won't cover it. My suggestion would be to bump up to an S3, CS turbo or GT28 series and tune it for the same power as the K04 and have the added benefit that should you get complacent with the tune/power, you have the extra room to grow.

With that said, the S1/S3, CS turbo and GT28 series are all going to be basically plug and play. I think the GT28 series may require a little more effort since they aren't being produced with the speed3 as its target market like the BNR and CS turbos are. If you want a truly plug and play turbo, the K04 is the only one.

2004 Yamaha R6 - Micron Ricer Pipe / PC
2005 Honda CBR 600 F4i - R.I.P. 10/29/13
WAMBUSHHHH! is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

MSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,576 Times in 584 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

From everything I've seen on here it is fully plug and play. It won;t smoke because it;s no longer a K04. Its one of those thing though, you will have to hunt for one, then pay $600 for it and hope the hypertech can cope and make the same power as a K04, or you can find a S3 for $700 +/- and maybe grab an AP v2 for $200. so for an extra $300 or so you can haz 400 donkeypowers. Just sayin.

Enki - "High mixes of corn = all the wastegate all the time for great justice."
MSP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSP6 For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-16-2017), Thor Hammer (02-15-2017)
 Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 24
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have no experience to share with a S1. Though I find myself in the same situation. Smoking turbo and stock block with 109K on it. I'm happy with the current power/freektune, and as much as I want a BNRS4v2 I am naturally quite hesitant.

I need this motor to last as a built block is not in the cards. I like the idea of a BNR S3 tuned to stock or a bit more power level as @WAMBUSHHHH!; suggested. I don't want to get anxious everytime I go WOT and wonder if a rod is going to vent my block.

Whatever route you go keep us posted on the result.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-16-2017)
 Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

WAMBUSHHHH! has disabled reputation
Thanked 1,282 Times in 675 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Honestly, I think the OP is going to be hard pressed to find someone who opted for the S1. For the money, the S1 is just marginalized by the fact you can spend less for a K04 that is nearly identical in performance to the S1 or you can spend a little extra and get a turbo that is way more capable and can be tuned to perform much like the k04/S1 if desired. All those turbos are going to be similar in install as well so of all the choices, the S1 just seems to be the odd man out.

2004 Yamaha R6 - Micron Ricer Pipe / PC
2005 Honda CBR 600 F4i - R.I.P. 10/29/13
WAMBUSHHHH! is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. I do not want to have to custom tune with AP or go Versatune. Now that ATR is user dead, I have no interest in AP.

I want a smoke free turbo that will run on my Hypertech, stock turbo compatible tune.

I've just about maxed out the K04 with my intake and catless 3" dp/rp - 300 whp/300 torque. I'm doing 13.2 quarters at 107 now. That's enough.

I really don't need more power. I just want a compatible turbo that will not smoke that will be plug and play and work with my mods without different tuning. I was hoping BNR 1 would do the trick.
Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods:TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 02-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #7

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,963 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 27
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Honestly, the more I learn about turbos, the less impressed I am with the BNRs.
I don't think there's anything substantially better about the seals in the BNR, they use the same design as the K04- but it does use a larger gt28 turbine wheel, which should produce a smaller pressure ratio across the turbine. I would imagine that being subject to less pressure would help the seals longevity.

An alternative to the BNR is this:
Bolt-On 350HP Upgrade MAZDASPEED 3 6 MPS CX7 CX9 K04 Turbo

It uses a turbine wheel that is only a hair smaller than the GT28, and a higher trim 11 bladed compressor wheel which is similarly sized to the BNR S1. Based on the knowledge of garrett's GTX turbos, the 10 bladed design should design should provide a little extra efficiency when asked to produce high boost (lower BATs at high pressure), and slightly faster spool.

It also uses the K04 CHRA and housings, so there's no question it will bolt up.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-18-2017)
 Old 02-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #8

KiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,294 Times in 775 Posts
Groans: 9
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenit View Post
Honestly, the more I learn about turbos, the less impressed I am with the BNRs.
I don't think there's anything substantially better about the seals in the BNR, they use the same design as the K04- but it does use a larger gt28 turbine wheel, which should produce a smaller pressure ratio across the turbine. I would imagine that being subject to less pressure would help the seals longevity.

An alternative to the BNR is this:
Bolt-On 350HP Upgrade MAZDASPEED 3 6 MPS CX7 CX9 K04 Turbo

It uses a turbine wheel that is only a hair smaller than the GT28, and a higher trim 11 bladed compressor wheel which is similarly sized to the BNR S1. Based on the knowledge of garrett's GTX turbos, the 10 bladed design should design should provide a little extra efficiency when asked to produce high boost (lower BATs at high pressure), and slightly faster spool.

It also uses the K04 CHRA and housings, so there's no question it will bolt up.
Does anyone have an experience with this? Also, I'm guessing it's rated at 350 crank hp?

JBR Tru 3.0" - CP-E TMIC - Corksport catless DP - Corksport race pipe - Forge V2 - Autotech internals + AP v2 - Swift springs - Enkei RPF1 17x9 + 45 (5mm JBR spacers in the front)
KiwiFlavor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiFlavor For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-18-2017)
 Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #9

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,963 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 27
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KiwiFlavor View Post
Does anyone have an experience with this? Also, I'm guessing it's rated at 350 crank hp?
That HP rating, just ignore it. It's larger than a k04 and smaller than an S3.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (02-17-2017), MSMS3 (02-18-2017)
 Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #10

Atticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

You are not wanting to have to custom tune with AP, because ATR is user dead? Hypertech is and was user dead from it inception. Your car would love you, if you gave her an upgrade and custom tune.

I remember when I got my Hypertech and swore by it; told myself an AP and custom tune would put my car in danger. But, to each, his own. I am BNR S4 now and at 154k. My car is in tip top shape. She loves me and I love her.

•Corksport: Power Series 3″ Intake, ECU Relocation Battery Box, Front Lower Control Arm Brace, Front Mount Intercooler Core, HPFP Internals, Short Shift Plate, Rear Sway Bar, Dual VTA BPV, BPV Hose, Electronic Boost Gauge, Exhaust Hangers, Full Suspension, Injector Seals

•BNR: Stage 4 •Grimspeed: 3 Port EBCS •Bosch: 3 Bar MAP •Damond: Stage 1 OCC, Passenger, Transmission and Rear Mounts •CNT: Catted Turboback •CX Racing: Pipe Kit •Denso: ITV22's ~.026

•Block8head: Defrost Vent Gauge Pod •Ralco RZ: Solid Shifter Bushings •TWM: Leather Short Shift Boot •Depo: Smoked Side Markers •Cravenspeed: Stubby Antenna •Adaptive Performance: Intake Manifold and Throttle Body TIG •OTHERS: Throttle body coolant bypass and Upper radiator hose reroute. Goodyear: Part No. 61087
Atticaz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Atticaz View Post
You are not wanting to have to custom tune with AP, because ATR is user dead? Hypertech is and was user dead from it inception. Your car would love you, if you gave her an upgrade and custom tune.

I remember when I got my Hypertech and swore by it; told myself an AP and custom tune would put my car in danger. But, to each, his own. I am BNR S4 now and at 154k. My car is in tip top shape. She loves me and I love her.
Please don't derail my thread. I respect your point of view. I know you are trying to help. All I want is 300/300 and I have that with my mods and tune. I just want a turbo that does not require a custom tune (AP OTS maps are a step backward and we all know they are shitty), that is plug and play and will not smoke.
 Old 02-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #12

Atticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the worldAtticaz is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not a thing all trying to derail your thread. Last time I checked, we were entitled to make opinions and have discussions. My apologies.

•Corksport: Power Series 3″ Intake, ECU Relocation Battery Box, Front Lower Control Arm Brace, Front Mount Intercooler Core, HPFP Internals, Short Shift Plate, Rear Sway Bar, Dual VTA BPV, BPV Hose, Electronic Boost Gauge, Exhaust Hangers, Full Suspension, Injector Seals

•BNR: Stage 4 •Grimspeed: 3 Port EBCS •Bosch: 3 Bar MAP •Damond: Stage 1 OCC, Passenger, Transmission and Rear Mounts •CNT: Catted Turboback •CX Racing: Pipe Kit •Denso: ITV22's ~.026

•Block8head: Defrost Vent Gauge Pod •Ralco RZ: Solid Shifter Bushings •TWM: Leather Short Shift Boot •Depo: Smoked Side Markers •Cravenspeed: Stubby Antenna •Adaptive Performance: Intake Manifold and Throttle Body TIG •OTHERS: Throttle body coolant bypass and Upper radiator hose reroute. Goodyear: Part No. 61087
Atticaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticaz For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-19-2017)
 Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Atticaz View Post
Not a thing all trying to derail your thread. Last time I checked, we were entitled to make opinions and have discussions. My apologies.
Understood and appreciated. No prob. Just trying to get the info requested in the thread title.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
Atticaz (02-19-2017)