register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #1

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,129 Times in 1,333 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Synapse Engineering's new Synchronic Diverter Valve

Description from here: Synchronic DV Kit for Mazdaspeed 3 & 6: Synapse Engineering Outlet and here: New Product Release: Synchronic Diverter Valve

Check links for contact/purchase information.
"Synchronic DV is the first, truly compact, zero-diaphragm, high-flow Diverter Valve with a blistering actuation time measured at 25 milliseconds. Mass air flow (MAF) and speed density (MAP) applications can apply the new design in push or pull orientation with the ability to fully re-circulate or vent-to-atmosphere the valve’s discharge. Construction is based on near-net investment casting of aerospace-grade Aluminum for the body, followed by post-process CNC machining of all components including the forged billet 6061 actuator assembly. A complete selection of available mounting flanges are interchangeable between the SB and DV series and users can either upgrade from an existing BOV/DV by simply bolting on an adapter or weld on to a new project using the Aluminum or Stainless weld flanges. Boost/vacuum connections are made via 1/8th NPT threaded bosses that accept either Boost Connect™ or included nickel-plated-brass barb fittings. Each assembly is pressure tested to withstand 60 psi and positive lock clamshell retainers are included with each assembly for fitment. This DV kit is also compatible with Mazda CX7, 1G/2G DSM, Nissan Skyline with RB20DET & RB25DET engines, 2008+ Subaru WRX (Non-STI) with OE TMIC. Please contact our office at 858-457-1700 for application specific questions."
I don't remember how I stumbled across the new Diverter Valve from Synapse, but I ended up checking it out on their forums. I contacted Devin and worked with him and David to acquire it. I was able to get some trade in credit for being a previous Synapse customer and sending back my current Synchronic BOV.

If you're an existing Synchronic BOV owner, it couldn't hurt to contact Devin/David to see if you can get a deal too.

So, on with the show...

What came in the box (the full kit as shown on their website has additional parts):

Diverter Valve and Recirculation Flange

1/8 NPT Barbs

90 Degree "Boost Connect" connectors (also 1/8 NPT)

Mounting Flange

Locking Collars

Polyurethane tubing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hnda etr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (12-07-2010), banditscout (12-07-2010), Cheapspeed (10-30-2014), Ferdball (12-21-2010), MGM_GT3 (12-24-2010), SoCal_Steve (02-08-2014)
 Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #2

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Although the retail box did not contain instructions, I was able to assemble the DV using pics from the Synapse website. I'm hoping that kits purchased through their online store, or other resellers, will contain instructions.

The DV seems to be very well constructed (per Synapse it is high quality cast aluminum). The weight and shape of the DV feels good in the hand - sturdy.

Here are some pics of the DV Body:

Pic of the Back - you can see how the locking collars engage in the slots to hold the mounting and recirc flanges attached

Pic of the Top - you can see the pre-load adjuster and locking nut, as well as the two 1/8 NPT vacuum bosses

Push vs. Pull mode - The Diverter Valve can be configured to run in either "Push" or "Pull" mode. In speaking with David from Synapse, he says Push mode is not recommended for high boost installations where the boost pressure could force the piston open resulting in a boost leak. "Pull" mode is recommended because as boost increases, it exerts more force onto the piston, making the seal even tighter.

Piston Side view - This end would be mounted to the mounting flange for configuring the DV in "Push" mode. As you can see, high boost would push against the piston allowing possible boost leakage.

"Internals" Side view - This end would be mounted to the mounting flange for configuring the DV in "Pull" mode. Boost pressure would actually help press the piston closed for tighter sealing

In This pic, you can see how the sealing O-ring seats into the opening - it sits on the lip inside each of the mounting openings

Pic of mounting flange and how O-ring seats on it

Bottom of mounting flange and O-ring that seals against leaks

Pic of Recirculation flange and how O-ring seats on it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (12-07-2010), banditscout (12-07-2010), Dano (12-07-2010), Running_3 (02-11-2015), SoCal_Steve (02-08-2014)
 Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Assembly of the flanges to the DV body is pretty straight forward:
  • Determine which method you want the DV to operate in, Push or Pull (you can see that I initially assembled the DV in Push mode. After speaking with David at Synapse to determine the appropriate setting, I changed it to Pull mode. You can try both settings to determine which is best for you.
  • Attach locking collars to DV body
  • Attach Flanges to appropriate openings
  • Tighten locking collars
  • Determine & install vacuum fittings
The hard part was getting the locking collars onto the DV body before attaching the flanges. The collars are actually constructed of metal - Aluminum I believe - so spreading them open to get them over the mounting body was a little nerve wracking. Since they aren't plastic, they don't just spread open easily and I was worried that I would split one in half (but they held up).

The next hard part was squeezing them closed enough to get the small bolt and locking nut on - not only are they stiff so closing them takes an effort, but the 3 "teeth" need to be seated fully in the grooves of the flanges to allow the collar to constrict enough for the bolt and nut to be threaded. And if that wasn't hard enough, you have to exert some force pushing the flanges down to compress the O-rings and get the groove in place for the teeth to engage. I ended up using 1 hand to press the flange into the DV, which was pressed against my chest, and squeeze the collar shut while holding the bolt in place. I then used my other hand to screw the nut onto the bolt.

FYI - The bolt uses a 3mm allen / hex driver. I used a small crescent wrench to hold the nut still while tightening the hex bolt.

Locking Collars and Mounting Flange attached

Recirculation Flange attached

I elected to use the 90 degree Boost Connect fittings to attach my vacuum lines with. These are great fittings that use either Polyurethane or High Temp PTFE hoses. These fittings also swivel, allowing you some measure of adjustment.

In these pics, you can see the flanges attached and the 90 degree fittings attached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (12-07-2010), banditscout (12-07-2010), SoCal_Steve (02-08-2014)
 Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here are a couple pics comparing the new DV and my old Synchronic BOV. As you can see, the DV is about ½ the size of the BOV. Additionally, my 1st generation BOV utilized 2 boost/vacuum ports and 1 boost only port - 2nd generation BOVs only use the 2 boost/vacuum ports unless specially ordered with the 3rd port.

The Diverter Valve only uses 2 boost/vacuum ports.

You may need to use a longer recirculation hose with the DV since it's shorter in length than most BOVs (although I don't know how it compares to the OEM BPV)

Surprisingly enough, I was able to use my existing Samco SuperFlex hose.

Here are some pics of my old BOV installed - if you look closely, you can see the 3rd, boost only, hose attached to the left side of the BOV body

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (12-07-2010), banditscout (12-07-2010), SoCal_Steve (02-08-2014)
 Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here are some pics of the new Synapse Engineering Synchronic Diverter Valve installed

Here is an overview of the installation. You can see some high temp PTFE hose (white colored) running from my wastegate to the Grimmspeed EBCS mounted on my battery box.

Closer view. You can see how I have the boost/vacuum source tapped into the same spot on the intake manifold that the OEM BPV utilizes. This is then split into 2 more lines - 1 for my boost gauge, and 1 to the DV. The DV line is then split again to connect to both fittings on the DV. These "Y" splitters can be purchased from Synapse along with the low temp and high temp hoses in a kit here: Synapse Boost Connect beginner kit includes PTFE and black PU line with fittings This kit also includes the 90 degree fitting I used to tap the intake manifold, and a vacuum distribution block you'll see later

Even closer view - You may notice that the setup of the DV has been changed to the "Pull" configuration

Connected to my Samco SFL28-BLK SuperFlex recirc hose

I cleaned up the multiple "Y" splitters with a single vacuum distribution fitting (from the kit mentioned earlier)

Closer view - You can see one of the ports is blocked off

Conclusion:

Although I didn't get any performance benefit switching from the larger BOV to the DV, I was able to clean up the engine bay a bit and recover some of the room that was occupied by the BOV.

The DV is probably one of the smallest BOV/BPV/DV's you can find, and is relatively compact when compared to the OEM BPV.

There has been no compressor surge since the installation - an indication that the opening of the piston and the venting of boost is happening very quickly. I did not have to do any adjusting to the DV at all - just installed it using the factory tension on the pre-load adjuster.

I've attached a sound clip taken with my iPhone, in which you can hear the DV popping off. It's a nice whooshing sound that can be heard even though it's in recirculation.

Overall, this is a great performing, high quality product which I highly recommend.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 11_30_2010 3_23 PM.mp3 (472.0 KB, 280 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by hnda etr; 12-07-2010 at 01:47 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
acmhd7 (12-26-2010), jracer (12-07-2010), MarkyMark (12-23-2010), MPSdriver (12-07-2010), rmgedon69 (12-09-2010), Shin Gouki (01-02-2011), SoCal_Steve (02-08-2014)
 Old 12-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #6

Speed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the worldSpeed_j23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So how are you liking it compared to your previous one?

Edit- nvm last 2 post didn't show up at first. Very in depth overview, thanks for all the info.

Old: 06 LPM MS6
Speed_j23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

tbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,578 Times in 1,054 Posts
Groans: 40
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn!! That was an awesome right up! I'm impressed just with the size difference between the old and new. It does look good tho.
| Steedspeed Top Mount Mani | Precision BB 5857 | Perm Tuning 3.5" Intake | Perm Tuning 2 Piece DP | Perm Tuning PCV Plate and Vented Catch Can | Mishimoto Catch Can | Weisco Pistons | Pauter Rods | AWR Tranny Mount | CP-e RMM | Turbinetech FMM | Turbinetech FDM | CP-e RDM | CX Racing FMIC | TWR Short Shifter | JBR SSP | AP w/ Base Map | BLOWN MOTOR |

| 1974 Nova | SBC 350 | TH350 | Weiand Team G | Edelbrock 1406 | Aluminum 4 Core Radiator | Pro Comp HEI Distributor |
tbot is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #8

banditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the world
Groans: 50
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice write up. looks sharp too!
banditscout is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,993 Times in 8,187 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Is this the same bullshit they tried connning us into back in 2008?

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
xcoldricex (12-21-2010)
 Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,249 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i'm lovin those push in type vac/boost connectors....in the old setup you had a distribution block with the same type of connectors...is that a synapse piece as well?

If not where did you get it?

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
Is this the same bullshit they tried connning us into back in 2008?
You mean, is this the same award winning technology that was in their older BOV?

Yes, same award winning piston actuated technology...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dano2010 View Post
i'm lovin those push in type vac/boost connectors....in the old setup you had a distribution block with the same type of connectors...is that a synapse piece as well?

If not where did you get it?
With the BOV, I was using 2 "Y" splitters... You can buy those through Synapse also...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Fuck sushi rolls

rodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the world
Thanked 24,881 Times in 7,894 Posts
Groans: 356
Groaned at 509 Times in 380 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wait.....u tell me 2 days ago u rather not have to buy 23c turbo studs but u wasting moneyz on this bullshit? wtf

2007 Ms3 3071r fully bolted , retired and sold after 110k miles of abuse

2014 Black Track Pack premium , NA 4lyfe ...AED dyno tuned on E85 466.6whp / 406.8 TQ SAE

rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by lenny127 View Post
wait.....u tell me 2 days ago u rather not have to buy 23c turbo studs but u wasting moneyz on this bullshit? wtf
lol.. I bought this a couple of weeks ago... And with the deal I got, it was worth it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 12-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #15

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,007 Posts
Groans: 144
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wasn't it the Synapse guys that posted the bogus video showing the huge power gains just from a BOV? Got debunked and found out they were testing the "before" setup on regular fuel and their valve on 93 octane. They just have no cred with me.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #16

wankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,045 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuckin' A. This makes me appreciate the simplicity of the Forge. Nice writeup though.
 Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Wasn't it the Synapse guys that posted the bogus video showing the huge power gains just from a BOV? Got debunked and found out they were testing the "before" setup on regular fuel and their valve on 93 octane. They just have no cred with me.
Actually, if you watch the video and listen to what he says, you'll hear that they said the car owner put bad gas in, so they added octane boost to bring up the quality of the bad gas.

They also said they gained 28 hp because they replaced a leaking OEM bpv with the non-leaking synchronic BOV..

Do your own research instead of making a decision on what you "Hear" on these (or any other) boards... Then maybe YOU would have some credibility...

YouTube - Synchronic BOV Mazdaspeed 3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
Ferdball (12-21-2010)
 Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wankular View Post
Fuckin' A. This makes me appreciate the simplicity of the Forge. Nice writeup though.
The only thing I think is different is that the DV uses 2 vacuum lines (which is just 1 vac line split into 2)

The forge only uses 1 vacuum source right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
wankular (12-08-2010)
 Old 12-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #19

335i is a glorious beacon of light335i is a glorious beacon of light335i is a glorious beacon of light335i is a glorious beacon of light335i is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wow these are cool
 Old 12-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by hnda etr View Post
The only thing I think is different is that the DV uses 2 vacuum lines (which is just 1 vac line split into 2)

The forge only uses 1 vacuum source right?
roger that...

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
 Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #21

rmgedon69 is a glorious beacon of lightrmgedon69 is a glorious beacon of lightrmgedon69 is a glorious beacon of lightrmgedon69 is a glorious beacon of lightrmgedon69 is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

nice write-up and detailed pix hnda etr.
did david or devin, somehow told you what's the difference between their bov and this new diverter valve? except for the size of course.
rmgedon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #22

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,220 Times in 10,051 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

dano helped me realize i should have read more carefully.

hnda etr... i see that you used the dv facing the firewall. i know you can use it push / pull type... but was wondering why you decided to use it the way you did. i.e. i am interested in which you think would be more beneficial to our cars.

Last edited by rfinkle2; 12-09-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: stupid question w/out reading carefully
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #23
Trail of Fail

Not Ranked  0 score     

high PSI setups need it the way he has it setup...in pull mode, pressure is keeping the valve shut. anyway that's what he said in his OP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (12-09-2010)
 Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #24

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

thank you dano ... i should have read more carefully
 Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #25

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,007 Posts
Groans: 144
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Actually, if you watch the video and listen to what he says, you'll hear that they said the car owner put bad gas in, so they added octane boost to bring up the quality of the bad gas.

They also said they gained 28 hp because they replaced a leaking OEM bpv with the non-leaking synchronic BOV..

Do your own research instead of making a decision on what you "Hear" on these (or any other) boards... Then maybe YOU would have some credibility...

YouTube - Synchronic BOV Mazdaspeed 3
You just made my point and made it very well. You can make ANY bov/bpv look impressive if you test it against a leaking one! Put any nonleaking bpv, stock or otherwise up against the leaking one and you'll see the same identical 28 hp gain. And adding octane boost to bad gas does not fix the problem.

The only way they could have any cred is if they tested against a properly functioning bpv in a vehicle that had good premium fuel of the same octane rating with no additives. Anything else is promotional BS. The fact is they clearly used the video to try to claim huge power gains that simply are not true. NO BPV OR BOV makes power. At best, it can simply prevent a loss in power.

I do my homework. That's why I'm running rock solid 19 psi on the stock BPV even after over 40,000 hard miles, and absolutely cannot make that mother leak. I'll put my money where it will produce power, not where it will produce bling eye candy and arm fart juvenile noises that I outgrew in about 7th grade, but that's just me. . .

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 12-09-2010 at 10:48 AM.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rmgedon69 View Post
nice write-up and detailed pix hnda etr.
did david or devin, somehow told you what's the difference between their bov and this new diverter valve? except for the size of course.
This diverter valve has been tested to 60 psi without leaking, the larger BOV has been tested to 100 psi without leaking... other than that and size, I don't think there's much other difference.
Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
dano helped me realize i should have read more carefully.

hnda etr... i see that you used the dv facing the firewall. i know you can use it push / pull type... but was wondering why you decided to use it the way you did. i.e. i am interested in which you think would be more beneficial to our cars.
Originally Posted by Dano2010 View Post
high PSI setups need it the way he has it setup...in pull mode, pressure is keeping the valve shut. anyway that's what he said in his OP.
Right.
Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
You just made my point and made it very well. You can make ANY bov/bpv look impressive if you test it against a leaking one! Put any nonleaking bpv, stock or otherwise up against the leaking one and you'll see the same identical 28 hp gain. And adding octane boost to bad gas does not fix the problem.

The only way they could have any cred is if they tested against a properly functioning bpv in a vehicle that had good premium fuel of the same octane rating with no additives. Anything else is promotional BS. The fact is they clearly used the video to try to claim huge power gains that simply are not true. NO BPV OR BOV makes power. At best, it can simply prevent a loss in power.

I do my homework. That's why I'm running rock solid 19 psi on the stock BPV even after over 40,000 hard miles, and absolutely cannot make that mother leak. I'll put my money where it will produce power, not where it will produce bling eye candy and arm fart juvenile noises that I outgrew in about 7th grade, but that's just me. . .
From your original post, you were inferring that Synapse was trying to "Con" people with false numbers - and different gas.

My rebuttal was to show that they didn't hide the fact that they used octane booster or that the OEM BPV was leaking.

I don't believe the video was made with the intent of saying

"look how much power you can get from going to our product"

it was a "look how much power you can recover by going to our product if your OEM part is leaking'

Regardless, this thread isn't to debate the effectiveness of their product - it's to show the product and install.

My rebuttal to your post was to inform people that Synapse didn't try to hide the fact of the octane boost and leaking OEM BPV.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
Dano (12-09-2010), rfinkle2 (12-10-2010)
 Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
Trail of Fail

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
thank you dano ... i should have read more carefully
n/p

Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

just a note: the diverter valve does not fit well if you plan to maintain the stock air box.
 Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #29

relenger will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Niice... This will be my next toy
relenger is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #30

flyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 36 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

"been tested to 60 psi without leaking" , so if you are running more than 60 psi boost this will not work ?
 Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #31

tbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the worldtbot is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,578 Times in 1,054 Posts
Groans: 40
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^^cause we really have that problem here haha
| Steedspeed Top Mount Mani | Precision BB 5857 | Perm Tuning 3.5" Intake | Perm Tuning 2 Piece DP | Perm Tuning PCV Plate and Vented Catch Can | Mishimoto Catch Can | Weisco Pistons | Pauter Rods | AWR Tranny Mount | CP-e RMM | Turbinetech FMM | Turbinetech FDM | CP-e RDM | CX Racing FMIC | TWR Short Shifter | JBR SSP | AP w/ Base Map | BLOWN MOTOR |

| 1974 Nova | SBC 350 | TH350 | Weiand Team G | Edelbrock 1406 | Aluminum 4 Core Radiator | Pro Comp HEI Distributor |
tbot is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #32

relenger will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

LOL...60PSI??? hhhmmmmm..... Mazdajet3
relenger is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #33
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,291 Times in 592 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

everyone i know that tried using synapse push/pull things had so much trouble they threw it out the window.
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xcoldricex View Post
everyone i know that tried using synapse push/pull things had so much trouble they threw it out the window.
Too hard bolting it up and attaching vacuum lines?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by flyrevs2 View Post
"been tested to 60 psi without leaking" , so if you are running more than 60 psi boost this will not work ?
Over 60psi they say use the original BOV they make - it's tested to 100psi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #36
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world

You mean, is this the same award winning technology that was in their older BOV?

Yes, same award winning piston actuated technology...
Ugh, their con scam was rung out to dry here years ago... same fail, just smaller.

An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
 Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Too hard bolting it up and attaching vacuum lines?
no it never worked properly. this was a ewg using the push/pull tech. they sent him like 2 new ewg's and none of them worked.
 Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xcoldricex View Post
no it never worked properly. this was a ewg using the push/pull tech. they sent him like 2 new ewg's and none of them worked.
OIC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #39
ILL3ST

Not Ranked  0 score     

glad to hear it's working out for you though.
 Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #40
Eatin' Your Tuna

Their products are still dogshit overhyped bullshit.. They ran away from here with their tail between their legs when we discovered that fail. Sucks to, they are in san diego and repping CA.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
djrich26 (01-08-2015)