register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

ADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Turbo whining?

Ok so I was driving home, and I noticed my turbo was making a whining noise, like a supercharger.
Only makes the noise when in boost. Nothing changed on the car, I checked for boost leaks as soon as I got home, didnt see anything, will check closer when the engine cools.
Holds the same amount of boost it always does and doesn't feel any less powerful. Any thoughts?

PS: I checked the turbo for play about a month ago, not even a little bit.

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Mods: Corksport Short Ram intake, HPFP Internals, Cobb V3 with Purple Drank tune pushing 19ish PSI, HKS SSQV1 BOV, J2 Downpipe, Custom stereo using 700rms total with double din nav deck, JBR SSP & weight

Still cant beat a lightly tuned, stock SRT-4

Last edited by ADHDAdditiv; 09-13-2014 at 05:35 PM.
ADHDAdditiv is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,455 Times in 2,594 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

how about a better video first.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

ADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll see what I can do. Might be a couple hours though.

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Mods: Corksport Short Ram intake, HPFP Internals, Cobb V3 with Purple Drank tune pushing 19ish PSI, HKS SSQV1 BOV, J2 Downpipe, Custom stereo using 700rms total with double din nav deck, JBR SSP & weight

Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

Hargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the world
Groans: 51
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah a 2 second video is really hard to get anything from. I would double check your turbo. I had a slight whine from mine and when i went to install my DP i noticed some shaft play and some marks on the housing. Had it rebuilt (brand new CHRA, cheaper than new, about the same cost as I was finding used) and the whine was gone.
Cobb AP v3 \\ Turbosmart Dual Port \\ Mazda Spin-On Conversion \\ Autotech HPFP \\ CP-E RDM \\ Turbine Tech FDM \\ CX Racing IC Piping \\ Treadstone TR8 Core \\ M2 Downpipe \\ JBR Power Path stage 2 \\ Denso ITV22 \\ JBR 80a Trilogy \\ JBR OCC \\ JBR TIGs \\ JBR EGR Delete \\ Corksport Springs
Hargarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok here is another video

The whining isnt as load as before, but it did get loader after I finished the video. Here's hoping this is what you need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOQISlW0q0

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 09-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

IshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the worldIshiKage is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,854 Posts
Groans: 278
Groaned at 533 Times in 425 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like you may have a leak or the turbo is going. HOw many miles on the car?
 Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

105k km so around 65k?
Been having boost issues since I bought the car though. I might have a crack in my turbo inlet pipe. Bought a sure one from a guy here on the forum should be here soon

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 11-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #8

Speedracer69 is a jewel in the roughSpeedracer69 is a jewel in the roughSpeedracer69 is a jewel in the roughSpeedracer69 is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just replaced my ko4 with a bnrs3 and it was smoking and making a whine noise. Noise is now gone so it is probably your turbo going out.
Speedracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,760 Times in 928 Posts
Groans: 120
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not hitting the alarm button yet, based on your posts, but I just had a turbo failure that began with the vanes of the compressor side of the turbo rubbing the housing. In hindsight, I realize there was some whining, most notable when just lightly going on and off boost.

you could have several other causes, but one of the things you should do at that mileage (mine is 108k) is to remove the battery and the turbo inlet pipe and visually inspect the compressor to see if there is play in the shaft and if there is any indication that the vanes are rubbing the housing. You will need a strong light and get the angle just right. Not only were there scrape marks on mine, but one of the vanes had been fractured and part of it got sucked through the intake and into the engine. I was lucky that it passed through with no damage.

I posted a separate thread on this.

Chase down the more likely causes, but do inspect the compressor wheel while you are at it.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #10

SpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My turbo made a similar noise for awhile. It didn't appear to have any play/movement. Still made noise. Checked a second time and it looked like @MSMS3; said. "indication that the vanes are rubbing the housing."

Before this I had done boost leak tests and narrowed all of those out.

The odd thing was my noise would come and go. If I hit enough boost it would actually totally stop whining, then for the next few pulls or days it would be fine. Then it would randomly start again.

Ultimately the turbo needed replacing. I was at 120,000 miles though.
SOLD: 2009 Metro Gray Mica Mazdaspeed 3 - CorkSport Stage II SRI - CorkSport High Flow Downpipe -CorkSport TMIC - CorkSport Short Shift Plate - CorkSport Shifter Bushings - CorkSport Rear Motor Mount -
CorkSport Passenger Side Motor Mount -Cobb Accessport - CorkSport HPFP Max Flow Fuel Pump Internals - CorkSport LED Kit

1992 Red Mazda Miata - Flyin Miata Swaybars, Hard Dog Hard Bar, Koni Yellow Shocks, Flying Miata Springs, Spec Stage 1 Clutch, E-Code headlights

Next?: 2016 Mazda Mx5? 2017 Mazdaspeed 3?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpencerC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpencerC For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (01-29-2015)
 Old 04-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #11

Shredhead86 has a spectacular aura aboutShredhead86 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I’m still very much a turbo noob. My speed6 (126,000) just started making this sound yesterday. My question is should I replace the turbo immediately or can I just drive like a little old lady for the time being? I’m not sure if I ha e the extra money to drop on something like this right now.
Shredhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hard to say. Might run fine for awhile. But, if it a vane strike, think about what will happen if a vane breaks. It gets sucked through the IC, through the intake manifold, an intake valve and into the combustion chamber as a piston is coming up on compression.

That's a recipe for zoom, zoom boom. Then, if it and the engine survive, it gets expelled from an exhaust valve, through the turbo impeller and out the exhaust to get trapped in and clog up your catalytic converter. Yet a second chance to screw you.

I would not want to take that chance. If there are strike marks on the inside of compressor (cold side) it will look likely scrapes on the aluminum where the vanes rotate like propeller blades. If you see that or see any actual vanes that are broken, it is not safe to operate.

I actually broke a vane. It managed to pass through somehow. I was lucky. You may not be.

You may just have a big pre turbo air leak. It would take a very large one to hear that type sound. That's bad, too, as unfiltered air has micro particles of silica (sand) which is abrasive to engine internals.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 04-29-2018 at 01:56 PM.
 Old 04-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #13

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I suggest to disconnect intake and look at turbo; feel how much shaft play and see if there are wear marks from the vanes rubbing. The turbo impeller will have a little shaft play on k04 but shouldn't be crazy.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-30-2018, 06:27 AM   #14

Shredhead86 has a spectacular aura aboutShredhead86 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

There is a little bit of play in the shaft. Not a lot. Iím beginning to think this may be an issue with a leak around the BOV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C1A8DF0D-5AC2-4630-99D3-AD1055A297C0.jpeg (3.95 MB, 36 views)
 Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #15

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Those blades looks like ass, but I don't see anything broken/missing.

Check for leaks. If you can hear it in the cabin, I would start with the turbo outlet.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #16

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Whats wearing those blades down like that on the leading edge? You running pre-turbo water/meth injection? lol

At least it doesnt appear they are worn or rubbing on the housing though...at least that I can see in the pic.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #17

MoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Shredhead86 View Post
There is a little bit of play in the shaft. Not a lot. Iím beginning to think this may be an issue with a leak around the BOV.
Yeah your compressor wheel is shot, and given the amount missing from the vanes, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire rotating assembly is out of balance. You'll want to get that turbo swapped out asap because it more than likely is a time bomb.
For Powah: JBR Tru 3.5" WP, CP-E TMIC, UR V3 Catless DP/Reso. TP, CS Resonated CBE, CS HPFP Internals, Cobb AP, DM PMM, DM TMM, CS Stg 2 RMM, CS Shifter Bushings, CS Dual VTA BPV, South Bend Stage 3 Endurance clutch, Damond Motorsports SSP, CS 3.5bar MAP, Stratified S-OTS+ Stg 3 E85 tune for summer, Pump S-OTS+ Stage 3 for winter, for now

Handling: JBR .250 RSB w/ billet brackets.

So I can see/be seen better: DDM LED for Nagare Accent lights, DDM Switchbacks Front turn signals, Osram CBI's, ADVmonster LED Fogs

To-do List: BNR S4, maybe S5...bottom end build, probably should do brakes/suspension at some point. Shooting for a 450-500whp daily driver.
MoMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #18

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 189
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Shredhead86; Looking at the vanes closely you can see pieces missing! Dude, stop driving on that thing as those metal particles are making their way into your engine. The turbo is constantly spinning so no manner of "easy driving" will save your ass.

Jump on facebook and become a member of the Mazdaspeed 6 group and/or Mazdaspeed 6 Real Owners. You can get a used turbo from one of those guys for around $100.

You can afford that right? Otherwise you'll be spending 3-4K for a used block soon. Need help? Reach out to your local Nator group.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah. I posted on Fb too and one of the guys there offered an OEM turbo thatís at 84,000 miles for $75 plus shipping. Looks like I know what Iíll be doing this Saturday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shredhead86 For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (04-30-2018)
 Old 04-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

I really appreciate all the input.
Thor Hammer (04-30-2018)
 Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

That compressor wheel looks terrible. I wonder if the engine has been sucking in unfiltered air -- something abrasive has been going on.

I'm attaching a photo of my K04 right before I removed it. You can see the broken vane at the bottom center of the photo. If you look closely, you can also see the scrape marks on the very inside of the inlet pipe.

On the other hand, I had no evidence of abrasion to the blades. They looked otherwise pretty normal but for the broken vane. There was considerable shaft play, explaining the broken vane.

It's clearly time for OP to replace that turbo and to find and fix whatever is doing the abrasion damage to the blades. Must be a big pre-turbo leak somewhere, sucking in unfiltered air full of micro particles of dirt, dust, and sand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1794.JPG (1.02 MB, 19 views)
 Old 04-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

There’s no telling. I’ve only had this car since August and what I’ve seen of the “mods” the previous owner had installed really leads me to question their thought process. For instance, they had put a CAI on the OEM TIP. I just put a CorkSport TIP and SRI on this month. I found a used K04 that will at least hold me over until I can afford a better turbo. Thanks again for the input.
 Old 04-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #23

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 189
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe the PO was running without an air filter or a really bad intake leak somewhere.

Regardless, glad you found one for a decent price. Where are you located?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Greenville, Sc
 Old 04-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #25

MoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond reputeMoMS3 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thereís no telling. Iíve only had this car since August and what Iíve seen of the ďmodsĒ the previous owner had installed really leads me to question their thought process. For instance, they had put a CAI on the OEM TIP. I just put a CorkSport TIP and SRI on this month. I found a used K04 that will at least hold me over until I can afford a better turbo. Thanks again for the input.
If you haven't done a compression/leakdown test yet, you really should before you do anything tune-wise. With that much vane loss and the unknown source of abrasive material, who knows how much damage it did to the motor as well. The last thing you want is to get everything replaced only to ZZB shortly after all your hard work and money being spent.
For Powah: JBR Tru 3.5" WP, CP-E TMIC, UR V3 Catless DP/Reso. TP, CS Resonated CBE, CS HPFP Internals, Cobb AP, DM PMM, DM TMM, CS Stg 2 RMM, CS Shifter Bushings, CS Dual VTA BPV, South Bend Stage 3 Endurance clutch, Damond Motorsports SSP, CS 3.5bar MAP, Stratified S-OTS+ Stg 3 E85 tune for summer, Pump S-OTS+ Stage 3 for winter, for now

Handling: JBR .250 RSB w/ billet brackets.

So I can see/be seen better: DDM LED for Nagare Accent lights, DDM Switchbacks Front turn signals, Osram CBI's, ADVmonster LED Fogs

To-do List: BNR S4, maybe S5...bottom end build, probably should do brakes/suspension at some point. Shooting for a 450-500whp daily driver.
MoMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

There’s no telling. I’ve only had this car since August and what I’ve seen of the “mods” the previous owner had installed really leads me to question their thought process. For instance, they had put a CAI on the OEM TIP. I just put a CorkSport TIP and SRI on this month. I found a used K04 that will at least hold me over until I can afford a better turbo. Thanks again for the input.
I have been running the AEM/Mazdaspeed full CAI on the stock TIP for damn near 10 years, making 300 whp with catless dp/rp on the stock K04 and now BNR 1 on 93 pump gas. That pretty much maxes out the stock turbo on pump gas. Look elsewhere for your leak than assuming that a CAI and stock TIP are the problem. BTW, stock TIP, despite its shape, outflows the K04. A different style stock diameter TIP is not a power mod on a K04.

Any intake, improperly designed or installed, can be the source of a massive pre turbo leak. Also, a leaking bpv or vacuum line from it back to the TIP, or a broken or damaged nipple on the TIP could be sucking in unfiltered air.

Since you replaced much of that, maybe you fixed it. Be sure, because more than your turbo is at stake. Unfiltered air is like sandpaper, damaging pistons, rings, cylinder walls.

Last edited by MSMS3; 05-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
 Old 05-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

I’m pretty sure I’ve got it now. One of the bolts holding the BOV in place wasn’t getting enough thread to hold it down. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s causing it.
MSMS3 (05-06-2018)
 Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #28

MazdaspeedYates will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi new to the forums.
every thread on this issue ive seen is on a modded speed. i have a 2011 Speed3 that is completely stock. Is this a normal issue around 84k miles?
MazdaspeedYates is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #29

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

which specific issue do you mean ? A whining noise? a broken compressor wheel or a leaking pipe ?

a clogged air filter in a stock speed can reduce the turbo lifespan by stressing the thrust bearing but most of the time there is a leak somewhere making the noise.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

The whining noise. Started last night but it got much louder this morning. I havnt lost any boost so i dont think its a leak.
 Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #31

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MazdaspeedYates View Post
The whining noise. Started last night but it got much louder this morning. I havnt lost any boost so i dont think its a leak.
you can have a small leak that you won't notice by boost loss, you need to do a leak test to begin with and check your compressor wheel

Wife drive 2010 CX7

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
MazdaspeedYates (07-05-2018)
 Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks ill try it and see how it goes.
 Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wear of the center shaft of the K04 is what causes the compressor wheel vane scraping or strikes. You should be able to see that on inspection. Check for end to end and side to side play on the shaft by moving it in and out and back and forth. Look for scrape marks or damage to the compressor wheel.

The center shaft of the K04 is very small -- 4mm, and it will eventually wear, regardless of whether you are tuned or stock. Tuned might wear quicker, but wear will occur. An example of accelerated wear on tuned cars is the effect of exhaust gas temperature. That little 4mm shaft will lose its hardness if exposed to exhaust gas temperatures above 1500 degrees F. That is not likely to happen on stock tune, but can on a tuned car if it is pushed to boost above 15 psi at 6,000 rpm. But, those are tuned cars -- badly tuned ones.

Wear will eventually happen on stock tune, too, just much slower.

I've had quite a few turbo cars, including Saabs and Volvos in addition to Mazdas. Turbos wear out. It is the bearings and seals. Seals are more likely to go in a modified car with higher boost, but center shaft bearing wear is more related to such things as how often you go WOT (even on a stock engine), and how regularly you change the oil and filter.

I think every turbo car I ever owned, even those that were stock, never made it to 100,000 miles before the turbo needed replacing. The turbo spins at over 100,000 rpm. Think about that. Those bearings will wear out over time regardless.

Only way to know is to pull the intake and turbo inlet pipe and look at the compressor wheel and move it to test for back and forth or in and out wobble.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
MazdaspeedYates (07-05-2018)
 Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you so much for the info. Im hoping its just a leak but i should find out this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaspeedYates For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (07-06-2018)
 Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

exact i opened few blown k04 to see internals damages and all got the center bushing loose.
For the seals, most of them also had baked oil or carbon around the shaft and seal. Just not sure which came first...was it the burned oil under the seals that made it to wear out or the oil get there because the seal was worn out....I don't know...

But i know 1 thing, when you run a turbo sport car, you should be prepared to replace the turbo soon or later...The small k04 spin so fast to keep up, that the bushing wear out and large one than could spin slower wear out on the thrust because it surge a bit.
Some may last a bit longer than some others but it remain a consumable part like brake pads or wheel bearing lol

Wife drive 2010 CX7