register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #1

flyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 36 Times in 21 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Zoom Zoom BOOM - I joined the blown up club.

Well I heard the worst sound of my entire life on Friday July 17th in Danville VA.
I drove down from Ohio (500mi) and the car ran like a champ, and got 32mpg to boot. It's about the 5th time I have driven down here. I had my dashhawk on the entire trip down - no knock, everything looked great. I was leaving the plant and had driven my car for about 1 mile to the front gate, dropped off my pass and hopped in excited for a nice ride home - I love goin through the mountains of VA and WV. I was in no hurry and leasurely ran through 1st and 2nd then shifted into 3rd at about 3k and maybe 1 or 2 psi (I was driving like an old lady). Then the sound that still haunts me: a hand full of nuts and bolts thrown into a blender on high speed, followed by a "pop" about 1 sec later, then the instant strong smell of oil and antifreeze. Was running on like 1 or 2 cylinders when I shut it down (almost immediately). I got out and there was a trail of oil and antifreeze and a giant pool of both under my car. I popped the hood, nothing visible except oil everywhere.
34k miles on the car. I had my wife call and get me towed to an empty lot next to my hotel in town, then bummed a ride to RDU and flew home 5 hrs. later to Cleveland.
The car is now at a shop in VA getting re-built (going forged) for the next month or so.

Last edited by flyrevs2; 07-28-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info
flyrevs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #2

skeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the worldskeeter149 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,345 Times in 817 Posts
Groans: 91
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry to hear man but glad your not giving up and coming back stronger then ever!

2008 Speed 3 GT- Cobb SRI, Cobb TIP, AQ Motorsports DP (Turboxs Adapter Plate), TurboXS FMIC, GReddy CBE, GReddy BPV, 3P Flange, GReddy TT, GReddy Boost Gauge, Vent Pod, GReddy Shift Knob, SU Shifter Bushings, AWR RMM, Cobb RSB, Cobb AP, Cobb Shifter Weight, Autotech FP Internals, Corksport Exhaust Hangers. "parked hard"

1996 200sx SE-R- Injen CAI, GReddy SP CBE, Tein Basic Coilovers, Progress FSB, Clutch Masters Flywheel, Progress RSB, Cusco FSTB, Progress LCAB, Prothane MM, JWT POP Program, JWT S4 Cams, Mishimoto Radiator, GoodRidge SS Brake Lines, Powerslot Rotors, Nismo CF Shift Knob. "back in action"
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #3

lidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to hear this dude....sucks especially when you are away from home...What do you think caused it to blow ?

if your old enough to remember the Gomer Pyle show....then what is it that Gomer would of said when it blew? S______E S______E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Current.. 2009 BMW 135i Twin Turbo, Sedonna Red Metallic, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated seats, Xenons,M Sport steering wheel, BMW Factory Sport Exhaust..300hp, 300 Tq.. in reality..320 hp 320 tq stock
SOON: BMS JB3....tune, ICarbon rear diffuser, ....all under warranty...
Past/Sold...2007 MazdaSpeed3,CP-E TBE, CAI, Advan Rs Gunmetal, TWM STS with bushings TWM Desert Eagle shift knob,, Defi Amber boost gauge, HKS BOV with CP-E flange..also tried CP-E Nano SRI (MazdaSpeed CAI, Rota TQ Hyperblack, are FOR SALE 4 months old)
lidokrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Banned

phailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,323 Times in 966 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 179 Times in 125 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

and the shop doing the build would be who again?

youre leaving out all the good news tony!!
phailerider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,362 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to hear about the zoom zoom boom but it sounds like you have a plan. Quick question - you mentioned you love driving through the mountains. Was it a spirited drive there? Lots of load and boosting?
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
glocK23 (07-28-2009)
 Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Let me add to my question - the motor led go by either the rod being fatigued/having a crack that finally let go or something locked the assembly up.

From what I hear from people it sounds like fatigue. Any chance you can get get some high res pics of the broken rod fracture point? I'd be interested to get the pieces of rod from you if you can get them from the engine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (07-29-2009), djthom (07-31-2009), Fobio (07-29-2009), glocK23 (07-28-2009)
 Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to hear.
A song to cheer you up.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 07-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeFlyFreak For This Useful Post:
itzl0l (07-28-2009)
 Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #8

flyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the worldflyrevs2 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by palerider View Post
and the shop doing the build would be who again?

youre leaving out all the good news tony!!
Oh yea, I almost forgot !
Well after I got home I started talking with Palerider about what I should do and he pointed me to Darrell Cox Racing - like 30 miles away from where I blew !!!! I met up with Darrell and he is building my motor !!!! Like Randy said if you are going to blowup there is no better place to do it than near DCR, probably the best shop in the country for building bomb proof forged motors!!! So I'm totally excited about DCR working on my car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyrevs2 For This Useful Post:
madvillain (07-30-2009), Murse (07-28-2009)
 Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #9

evo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the worldevo2ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to hear man. Plus, I have the same mods as you except I have TMIC which makes me worry even more. What v103 map were you running the longest, and do you have a log to post? Lucky your near DCR for the build, I don't have a plan yet. GL with it all.
//Cobb AccessPORT//Cobb E-Tune@20psi//SU TMIC//Mazdaspeed CAI//HKS SSQV//RPMC Turbo Inlet//CP-E HPFP//Corksport Race Pipe//Resonator Delete//Corksport MM Inserts//TWM STS//TWM Bushings//Denso ITV22//Prosport Premium Boost//RX-8 Wheels//Kumho Ecsta XS's 235-40//Valentine One//35% Tint//TRADED IN

WW EVO X GSR//SSS//Navi//Advan Racing RS 19x10//BC Racing Coilovers//Cobb AccessPORT//Perrin 3-port/AMS FMIC//UR UICP//Works Air Filter//UR Test Pipe//Trust PE II Exhaust//Defi Boost Gauge//APR Vortex Generator//Ralliart Tails//20% Tint//Valentine One//
evo2ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #10

Matrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,882 Times in 735 Posts
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

dang man sorry to hear about the bust. What v1.03 map were you running? Did you tweak any of it in ATR or was it a stock OTS map?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2007 MS3 Sport, gtx3071r, Full-Race Exhaust Manifold, SP PNP Intake Manifold, SP 88mm Pistons 9:5:1, Manley H Beam Rods, 10mm H11 Head Studs, ARP Main Studs, 4" HTP TIP + Small Battery Tray, 3 Bar MAP, Grimmspeed ECBS, CP-E FMIC, CP-E DP, CP-E Nexus CBE, Tokay Injector Seals, CP-E RMM, SU PMM, TRZ TMM, PTP FP Internals, DCR VVT, JBrone Shift Plate, SU Shifter Bushings, HKS SSQV, ITV22, DIY Perm Plate with dual OCC, Corksport Radiator Shroud, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch, DO Stage 2 Meth D10, Evo X Wheels, 245/40-18 Nitto NT05, Koni Sports + H&R Springs **463whp/409lb-ft via Mustang Dyno as of 3/28/14**

**9/19/13** Zoom Zoom Boom ** Currently Rebuilding with goal of 475whp
**11/19/13** Forged engine built and started up the car for the first time, success!
**3/28/14** Dyno results from build 463whp / 409lb-ft Mustang Dyno
**6/24/15** Sold the Mazdaspeed 3
**7/4/15** Purchased 2015 F150 Ecoboost Lariat FX4 with Sport Package
Matrix311 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #11

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,678 Times in 712 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

feeceeeesss sorry to hear man.
 Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #12

Cosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the worldCosmic3MPS is the leader of the world
Groans: 31
Groaned at 22 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to hear mate. I know that pit of your stomach feeling all to well. Hope there is a breakthrough soon end this shit for good.

At the crucial point the guy bites her on the ear. Distracts from the pain. Ever try that?
Mitch: Hell no, I sock 'em in the jaw and yell, "Pop goes the weasel."

Cosmic3MPS is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #13

QuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

looking forward to see what your new motor will put down.
QuickSpool is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
MSF Punished Member

Vivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeVivid Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

do I have to send two now randy? lol
Vivid Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vivid Motorsports For This Useful Post:
Murse (07-28-2009)
 Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #15

2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,638 Times in 353 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

shitty news, its weird how this happens to some people and not others.
2007speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #16

pidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the worldpidass is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,214 Times in 71 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

jebus, I got the same mileage and 80% of the same mods as you
 Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #17

Deadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the world
Groaned at 31 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You live in cleveland??! If so i want to see this car once its done!
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #18

ToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the worldToledoSpeed3 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

WTF...very sorry to hear man. Good luck on your new build and keep us posted on what you choose to do to the motor. Hopefully DCR can inspect the motor, post pics, and Darrell can give us insight to what he thinks happened. While this is bad news, it sounds like this time it could yield some good news in the long run.

I suspect fatique over time and it finally let go. Just because we blow at part throttle most of the time doesn't mean a whole lot to me. We are in PT a lot more than we are WOT, so the odds that it will give way around 3000 RPM with our low end torque curve are pretty good. I'm sure if you would have went WOT boosting up to 6000 RPM, you would have still seen failure just the same. It seems like a lot of cars that blow are also going through a temp change event (just leaving somewhere after cooling down or just coming off the highway). Such an event would assist in a stressed part giving way.
 Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
You live in cleveland??! If so i want to see this car once its done!
Well Wadsworth actually, but close enough to Cleveland. I'll give you a pm when I have the car back and we can meet. It's gonna be a month or so, DCR is going to do it right so I'm going to give them all the time they need.

Toledospeed, the car was warming up probably about 75% up to normal operating temperature. That was the reason I was babying it.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyrevs2 For This Useful Post:
ToledoSpeed3 (07-29-2009)
 Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #20

SharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the world
Groans: 17
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow that sucks...But it is nice to have your motor at DCR to be built.I would like to hear about what options DCR may have for your new motor.
Pauter rods,Cp pistons 9.5:1 @ .020 over,ARP head & main studs,DNP ceramic coated exhaust mani.,TXS Dp,TXS Tp with high flow cat,PG reworked turbo,Cobb sri,Cobb fmic,Cobb Ap,Cobb inlet,HPFP,BSD,ACT street disk with light flywheel,TWM shifter bushing,rear MM,Oil CC and 1 step colder plugs and more

http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/SharkDiver.htm
http://www.youtube.com/user/sharkdiverjohn
SharkDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
Wow that sucks...But it is nice to have your motor at DCR to be built.I would like to hear about what options DCR may have for your new motor.
I will let you know what is available after the motor is out. I know DCR is working on many options and cool add-ons for our platform but I don't have all the details at this point. All I can say is I'm glad my car is at DCR and that Darrell is willing to work with you at any level of performance you choose. My 1st goal is a super reliable DD, second goal is adding on some cool parts to deliver more power (exhaust mani, DP, bigger turbo or re-worked turbo). Anything is possible, but I have a limited budget so I have to be reasonable and not go crazy.
 Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #22

SharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the worldSharkDiver is the leader of the world
Groans: 17
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If I was you I would try to come up with enough money to get one of there new exhaust manifolds that should be out soon or a re-built turbo or maybe both...
Pauter rods,Cp pistons 9.5:1 @ .020 over,ARP head & main studs,DNP ceramic coated exhaust mani.,TXS Dp,TXS Tp with high flow cat,PG reworked turbo,Cobb sri,Cobb fmic,Cobb Ap,Cobb inlet,HPFP,BSD,ACT street disk with light flywheel,TWM shifter bushing,rear MM,Oil CC and 1 step colder plugs and more

http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/SharkDiver.htm
http://www.youtube.com/user/sharkdiverjohn
SharkDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #23

bf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 42 Times in 35 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by flyrevs2 View Post
Well Wadsworth actually, but close enough to Cleveland. I'll give you a pm when I have the car back and we can meet. It's gonna be a month or so, DCR is going to do it right so I'm going to give them all the time they need.

Toledospeed, the car was warming up probably about 75% up to normal operating temperature. That was the reason I was babying it.
you say you were babying yet you were boosting before it was even fully warmed up and at the worst spot, 3k
bf360 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #24

2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

he said 1 to 2 psi, i dont know about you but that is necessary to drive with the flow.

If you cant get up to speed when merging on the long island expressway where i live you will be rammed off the road.
 Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

The damage was already done. I have added to my first post here describing these low load failures a little more:

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...king-rods.html
 Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #26

dan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the worlddan7225 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 20 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i would love to hear what DCR thinks about the aspects of the failure, even if it is speculation.

i've been completely stock for 54K.

but i noticed a lot on long highway trips that IAT temps in my car are just a couple degrees over ambient temp, but the boosted temp can intermittently get 150+ degrees for several minutes. i'm not sure how boost temp can be so high with speeds between 70-80mph on flat highway. it's not always like that, but it does happen. usually i can boost the car and the boost temp immediately goes down, go figure.

just my 2 cents
dan7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #27

MZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the worldMZRDISI4 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,738 Times in 345 Posts
Groans: 94
Groaned at 38 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's probably because there is no boost flowing through the throttle body or intake manifold.. whereever BAT's are measured.
 Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #28

lidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Not Ranked  0 score     

a DCR build....how sweet it that!!!!!!!!!! In the long run dude, this could be a very good thing.
Current.. 2009 BMW 135i Twin Turbo, Sedonna Red Metallic, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated seats, Xenons,M Sport steering wheel, BMW Factory Sport Exhaust..300hp, 300 Tq.. in reality..320 hp 320 tq stock
SOON: BMS JB3....tune, ICarbon rear diffuser, ....all under warranty...
Past/Sold...2007 MazdaSpeed3,CP-E TBE, CAI, Advan Rs Gunmetal, TWM STS with bushings TWM Desert Eagle shift knob,, Defi Amber boost gauge, HKS BOV with CP-E flange..also tried CP-E Nano SRI (MazdaSpeed CAI, Rota TQ Hyperblack, are FOR SALE 4 months old)
lidokrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bf360 View Post
you say you were babying yet you were boosting before it was even fully warmed up and at the worst spot, 3k
Ok how much torque am I gonna make at 1 or 2 psi ? So I guess if I would of stayed in vaccuum for another 5 min then I would not have blown. I didn't realize these motors were that fragile.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: ALL MS3 OWNERS STAY IN VACCUUM UNTIL YOUR MOTOR IS FULLY WARMED UP TO PREVENT BLOWUPS.
 Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

flyrevs how much did dcr quote you. a ruff estimate if you will... 10?
 Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #31

fjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the worldfjames is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you put 34000 miles on the car, all the while thinking babying it meant only a little boost at below operating temp, then you've got more accumulated wear than someone who didn't do that. I have to pull out onto a federal hiway half a mile from my front door and I never do that. They might have to slow down for me, but by the time I'm up to speed I'm going faster than them so screw 'em.

You can drive however you want, I'm just posting so people who don't know any better won't think that your definition of babying is the only one
 Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #32

bf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the worldbf360 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok how much torque am I gonna make at 1 or 2 psi ? So I guess if I would of stayed in vaccuum for another 5 min then I would not have blown. I didn't realize these motors were that fragile.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: ALL MS3 OWNERS STAY IN VACCUUM UNTIL YOUR MOTOR IS FULLY WARMED UP TO PREVENT BLOWUPS.
so what was your a/f while hitting those couple pounds before warmed up?
 Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 2007speed3 View Post
he said 1 to 2 psi, i dont know about you but that is necessary to drive with the flow.

If you cant get up to speed when merging on the long island expressway where i live you will be rammed off the road.
then down shift and go wot, if your not warmed up then stay in vacumm fuck em you dont have to boost while warming up just because they want u to go faster
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #34

dixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the worlddixie789456 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 25 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

actually i do the same thing everyday. if the temps aren't up i stay outta the boost. hell i stay out of the boost most of the time anyway. yeah i drive like a granny. maybe after the hks exhaust is on i'll be gettin on it a little more since it will actually sound like a real car then!
dixie789456 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dixie789456 For This Useful Post:
Docnox (07-29-2009)
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bf360 View Post
so what was your a/f while hitting those couple pounds before warmed up?
Didn't have the dash hawk on when it blew, but I have monitored it quite a bit and at that level it was still closed loop so I'm sure it was close to stoik.
From the time I got in the car until it blew was exactly 2 shifts and about 100 yards.
I'm guessing it blew from some kind of detonation but what do I know? Gotta wait for DCR to examine it to really know what happened.
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #36

dcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the worlddcphantom is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If DCR could post their findings in their section that would be super sweet.
dcphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #37

Speedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedn3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

man...everyone (including me) is looking for an angle that hasn't panned out. we want to believe that the rods are breaking at low rpms because of previous stress from previous high boost, previous detonation ect.
folks if this was the case at least a small percentage of these blown engines would have blown at WOT and at least a couple of honest folks would have stated so. almost everyone that blows comes on this site or another and states exactly how they were driving and 99.9% of the time it's consistant with all the others.
a lot of us are in denial and we instantly start to doubt the person because they are not reporting what we want to hear.
let's face it we are in denial because of the unknown and the fact that we do not want to believe the engines in our beloved 25k investments are so fragile.
until this is figured out we have the options to continue the status quo and possibly blow, trade it now, or get a built engine.
i'm thinking of doing the latter.
Speedn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedn3 For This Useful Post:
DaleNixon (07-29-2009), TurboGhost (07-29-2009)
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

+10 ^^^^^^^^
Stay stock so you have a warrantee, or go forged, or get out while you can. If I had it to do over I would have stayed stock until 60k then paid the $$ for a built motor. At least that way you would have saved $1k not having to buy another block. Plus you can schedule it and not end up being blown in another state and unknown time. I thought I was doing everything right (dashhawk, conservative tune, good maintainence etc.) then BOOM .
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #39
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

Didn't have the dash hawk on when it blew, but I have monitored it quite a bit and at that level it was still closed loop so I'm sure it was close to stoik.
From the time I got in the car until it blew was exactly 2 shifts and about 100 yards.
I'm guessing it blew from some kind of detonation but what do I know? Gotta wait for DCR to examine it to really know what happened.
Did it stumble at all RIGHT before blowing? Did you feel as though the engine was being slowed down? Was there ANY unusual sound before the bucket of bolts sound?
 Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Did it stumble at all RIGHT before blowing? Did you feel as though the engine was being slowed down? Was there ANY unusual sound before the bucket of bolts sound?
No stumbling nothing wierd, runnning fine then the blender sound with nuts and bolts and BOOM!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f11/zoom-zoom-boom-i-joined-blown-up-33936/
Posted By For Type Date
MSP3 == LOLz - Page 11 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 05-16-2010 10:52 AM
OMG!! 12s Si (All Motor) - Page 23 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 03-26-2010 03:57 PM
OMG!! 12s Si (All Motor) - Page 21 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 03-25-2010 02:15 PM
OMG!! 12s Si (All Motor) - Page 20 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 03-25-2010 02:05 PM