register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree10Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #81

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jucca View Post
Just done valve cleaning, along with IC, manifold and throttle body wash.
For everyone who haven't clean his valve yet, look at almost free 40WHP gain, get the job done ASAP
Mine 6s is 95.000miles

You're kidding me. There is that much sitting on the table?? I put this off way too long.
 Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #82

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,754 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There's not that much normally-
I'm suspect cooler ambient temps added something to that result
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
himurax13 (01-03-2014), Vansquish (05-13-2014)
 Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #83

jucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond reputejucca has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ambient temps was almost the same. Same road, almost same conditions, before and after.
Will not say 100% that all gain is only by valve cleaning, but also IC manifold and throttle body, it must be taken out for accessing valves, so it's good time for cleaning.
Intake temps are 10F difference.
I'am at 120.000km, a cleaning was never done before
M2 DP
JBR PowerPath stg II
Sure RMM
Sure Rear Diff Mount
TurboXS 50/50
Grimspeed EBCS
NGK Iridium step colder
Ebay OCC
EGR delete
3BAR MAP w/ Harness
3" CBE w/ high flow mufflers
Eibach -35mm
18x9 JapanRacing JR3 w/ 235/40/18 Kumho KU39

jucca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jucca For This Useful Post:
littleloogy (12-20-2013)
 Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #84

Boost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant futureBoost > CI has a brilliant future
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Found the answer to my question! I should quit being lazy and read
theurgy likes this.

Last edited by Boost > CI; 12-30-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Boost > CI is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #85

racingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the world
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did this about a week ago and my idle rpm dropped 300 rpm and got wayyyy smoother. Throttle response is improved greatly and the car pulls much harder. Surprisingly at 102k miles and having never been cleaned(at least since 52k) they didn't look much worse than many of the pictures posted here. Checked the piston tops with a boroscope while I had everything apart and holy crap, they have about 2 mm of carbon buildup. Left them alone, going to try seafoam here soon.
racingrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #86

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,868 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

LULZ, I have cleaned many valves, none of which were worse than mine. I did not receive any mentionable gains.

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #87

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cobb dyno'd before and after cleaning the valves...there wasnt really any power improvement based on flow, however, they said they could run more timing after the valves were cleaned.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #88

racingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the worldracingrayson is the leader of the world
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldn't doubt no real power gain, but a little quicker spool during daily driving and better throttle response were definitely noticeable. The main gain for me was the smoothness at idle. Mine were gunked up to a point of no longer properly sealing to the head. I had to keep refilling the b12 every 15-20 minutes.

Might have just been evaporating though I suppose.

Last edited by racingrayson; 01-03-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
racingrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #89

Prallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll preface this post by stating that I'm a newb. I will be doing a thorough cleaning of my valves as soon as the temp raises above 5 degrees fahrenheit around here. I understand the steps to removing the manifold and everything, but I have not been able to find any info about valve position (again, pry a dumb question) when physically adding b12 cleaner. I noticed some comments about turning the crank but nothing that is really descriptive. Thanks!
Prallell6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #90

JgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,437 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Prallell6 View Post
I'll preface this post by stating that I'm a newb. I will be doing a thorough cleaning of my valves as soon as the temp raises above 5 degrees fahrenheit around here. I understand the steps to removing the manifold and everything, but I have not been able to find any info about valve position (again, pry a dumb question) when physically adding b12 cleaner. I noticed some comments about turning the crank but nothing that is really descriptive. Thanks!
"The (21mm) crank pulley is on the right, turn clockwise to turn the engine, it will be at TDC when it gets toughest to turn (check valves are TDC by looking, then pouring some B12 in and see if it stays put)"

Refer to the pic in the OP.

13.10@117.1 full weight DD no prep 1/4 (BNR S3 / E85)
JgamB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JgamB For This Useful Post:
Prallell6 (02-26-2014)
 Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #91

Prallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the worldPrallell6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JgamB View Post
"The (21mm) crank pulley is on the right, turn clockwise to turn the engine, it will be at TDC when it gets toughest to turn (check valves are TDC by looking, then pouring some B12 in and see if it stays put)"

Refer to the pic in the OP.
Thank you, sir.
 Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #92

theurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,128 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 28 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I did the same except I used gasoline instead of B12, figured if gas seeped into the cylinder, wouldn't be as bad as B12.
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS Meth, Damond TB Plate, JBR FMIC Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS, 3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Front Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces, Denso Iridium ITV-22, CP-e Safe Seals, SURE TIG IM and TB, Cobb Shift Weight, TWM SS w/Bushings and Specter Hybrid knob.

To be installed: SS Brake Lines.
theurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #93

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gasoline is the finest and cheapest of solvents...
Lex2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #94

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by theurgy View Post
Yeah I did the same except I used gasoline instead of B12, figured if gas seeped into the cylinder, wouldn't be as bad as B12.
How long did you let it soak for? You think it would make removal any easier using the b-12?

Also, when I'm at tdc I need to be in compression stroke so valves are closed, correct?
 Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #95

theurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,128 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 28 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh no.. I just used gas to test if the valves are seated properly.
After that I used a harsh cleaner (Mazda Zoom Cleaner)
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS Meth, Damond TB Plate, JBR FMIC Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS, 3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Front Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces, Denso Iridium ITV-22, CP-e Safe Seals, SURE TIG IM and TB, Cobb Shift Weight, TWM SS w/Bushings and Specter Hybrid knob.

To be installed: SS Brake Lines.
theurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #96

Not Ranked  0 score     

ahh, good call. I'll probably go that route as well.
 Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #97

BlueMetalJacket will become famous soon enoughBlueMetalJacket will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just finished cleaning my intake valves using the soaking/walnut shell/scraping method. Here are my observations. I did NOT remove my air cleaner or battery and I was able to get everything out. Note that I do have a MazdaSpeed Blue CAI. This is still one of the more difficult projects I've done.

When I did get it apart, my valves at 80kmi looked like a team of squirrels crawled in there and collectively shit 8 times all over my valves...THICK! I was having the smoking turbo issue previously and was lucky enough to get it fixed at the dealership for free. I soaked half the valves in Seafoam and the other half in B12. The B12 was MUCH more powerful and the Seafoam did virtually nothing! Keep in mind I only soaked for an hour because a hot girl could call me and I don't want to waste time torquing on my car. Since I had excellent results cleaning my EGR with oven cleaner, I wonder if it might be the way to go for future valve cleaning?

I cleaned out the EGR stuff a few months ago because I was throwing a code. Soaking all the parts with a little foaming oven cleaner and some time worked like a charm and the EGR works perfectly now...meaning no CEL, but constant cancer in the form of recirculated exhaust. Maybe I'll get rid of it.

Some suggestions:
-Use B-12 NOT Seafoam!
-The vinyl tube method didn't seal well for me and created a HUGE mess everywhere, even with a vacuum running. I would consider using modeling clay next time to seal off the intake port, use a LITTLE walnut, and a LOT of air to turbulate it. Maybe take the sparks out to help vent?
BlueMetalJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #98

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, did a hot girl call you?...or do you feel guilty for not scrubbing more?
 Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #99

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,259 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BlueMetalJacket View Post
Keep in mind I only soaked for an hour because a hot girl could call me and I don't want to waste time torquing on my car.
you need to get your priorities straight
Cheapspeed (05-02-2014)
 Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #100

Jason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the worldJason43 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BlueMetalJacket View Post
The B12 was MUCH more powerful and the Seafoam did virtually nothing!
This is why I laugh when people talk about pouring Seafoam through their intake with a huge sense of accomplishment.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #101

Not Ranked  0 score     

Is there any reason to clean the exhaust valves and replace the VVT chain tensioner simultaneously with respect to parts removal and access or are the tasks totally separate?

I need to do both and don't want to R&R gaskets, parts twice.
 Old 05-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #102

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex2007 View Post
Is there any reason to clean the exhaust valves and replace the VVT chain tensioner simultaneously with respect to parts removal and access or are the tasks totally separate?

I need to do both and don't want to R&R gaskets, parts twice.
There is no need to clean the exhaust valves since they get hot enough to burn that shit off. You do realize that we do not open the valve cover to clean the valves, right?

Pickles Tune in progress

Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #103

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by himurax13 View Post
There is no need to clean the exhaust valves since they get hot enough to burn that shit off. You do realize that we do not open the valve cover to clean the valves, right?
The valves and the runners. Both get dirty.

Yes I realize the valve cover doesn't come off to get to the runners. I'm asking about anything peripheral to that which might need to be removed. I don't wanna do things twice if avoidable.
 Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #104

Not Ranked  0 score     

The valves and the runners. Both get dirty.

Yes I realize the valve cover doesn't come off to get to the runners. I'm asking about anything peripheral to that which might need to be removed. I don't wanna do things twice if avoidable.
Of course they get dirty but not enough to affect anything. There is no way to clean the exhaust valves without pulling the head or motor.

The only thing I can say that is worth doing is replacing the PCV. If you wanted to replace the VVT, I don't think the intake mani needs to be taken off for that.

Pickles Tune in progress

Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #105

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by himurax13 View Post
Of course they get dirty but not enough to affect anything. There is no way to clean the exhaust valves without pulling the head or motor.

The only thing I can say that is worth doing is replacing the PCV. If you wanted to replace the VVT, I don't think the intake mani needs to be taken off for that.

What's the name of this thread?
 Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #106

Not Ranked  0 score     

What's the name of this thread?
LOL, well cleaning the valves is not easy as the title would imply and only the intake valves get cleaned. If you want to tackle cleaning the exhaust valves while the motor is still in, please make a writeup for it.

Pickles Tune in progress

The Following User Says Thank You to himurax13 For This Useful Post:
theurgy (05-14-2014)
 Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #107

Not Ranked  0 score     

Additional tips for cleaning REALLY dirty intake valves

HOW TO: Clean your valves - easy & cheap

see post #37
 Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #108

BlueMetalJacket will become famous soon enoughBlueMetalJacket will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, did a hot girl call you?...or do you feel guilty for not scrubbing more?
Well I checked my voicemail several times. I think she just dialed the wrong number. Next time I'll have her come over and scrub for me...two birds, ya know?

...and why do I have such a hard time loading the MazdaSpeedForums website? It times out most of the time and I can't navigate anywhere.
BlueMetalJacket is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/how-clean-your-valves-easy-cheap-120237/
Posted By For Type Date
Cleaning the MZR (DISI) of Carbon w/ Walnut Media Blaster - Some Questions : mazda This thread Refback 10-31-2014 12:56 PM