register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lilloui05

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #1

lilloui05 is just really nicelilloui05 is just really nicelilloui05 is just really nicelilloui05 is just really nicelilloui05 is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How To: Fix broken shift cable linkages.

Hello All!

I posted a picture of a fix I did to my MS6 shifter cables and How To was requested, so here we go!

As always, I am not responsible for any damage you might do to your car. This will be a very loose guide with a description of what I did to fix my shifter cables after breaking them while changing a seal.

Required Materials:

5/16 drill bit,
8.5mm Drill Bit
Drill
Oil
M10-1.5 Bolt, about an 1" and a half long.
Flanged Bearing (still testing sizes)
threadlock
M10-1.5 Nut (Nylock would be best)

If you are performing this fix I am going to assume you already know how to get to where the problem is. I was fixing a leaky pivot shaft seal when my linkages broke, so search and use that write up as a guide to remove the required parts.

The fix is pretty straightforward. I did not take any pictures during the process so mostly what you will see are after pictures and descriptions.

1) Drill out the nipple where the original linkages snapped on. I removed everything as shown in the pivot shaft seal. I then moved the brackets a work table where I could clamp them to make the drilling and tapping easy.

Start with the 5/16" drill bit. Remember to use oil. After drilling in far enough the nipple will separate from the bracket.

Use the 8.5mm bit to slightly enlarge the hole where the hardware was inserted.

2) Tap the hole using the M10-1.5 tap. Keep the tap as straight as possible. Remember to use oil. I chose M10 because it would require the least amount of drilling with the hole that was already present.

3) Insert the Bolt into the bracket, going in the correct direction. Tighten and much as you can, plus half a turn. In my case I decided to tack weld the bolts, so tightness did not matter.

As mentioned I decided to tack weld the bolt, and cut off the head to make it look cleaner.

4) I put everything back on the car after I installed the hardware on both brackets. I used a flanged bearing so it would hold the eyelet of the shifter cables in place.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is what I have for you guys. I will post details about the hardware once I have it all settled. I want to do a little more testing before I settle on a proper bushing/bearing.

Final Assembly, with everything back together.

Bolt off.

Eyelet with the bearing put in. I really like the outer diameter fit.

Other side view, bearing installed.

eyelet, no hardware installed.

View of the M10 bolt installed on the bracket. You can see the tack welds.

Flanged bearing I used.

Bolt I used, M10. You can see above I ground off the head.

Video of the brackets and fix while moving through the gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEF...ature=youtu.be

I know alot of part are still vague, so let me know where more details are needed. Also if someone wants to share picture of the brackets before the mod, just post them up, I'll add them to this post.

Thanks and hope some people find this post helpful.
Koke382 and mr.speedy3 like this.

-88 crx si -project car
-92 Prelude si -h22 swapped- project #2
-06 MS6 - Daily Driver
lilloui05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilloui05 For This Useful Post:
Koke382 (12-10-2014), Turbo_Steve (12-10-2014), Vansquish (12-10-2014)
 Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

mr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the worldmr.speedy3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,427 Times in 647 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Vansquish

tapatalkin
Vansquish (12-10-2014)
 Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #3
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,731 Posts
Groans: 1,868
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Thanks @lilloui05;, this might be the start of something big for our platform! How much lateral play is there in the shifter after you installed your modifications? To me, it looks like there's probably ~1" or so, given the amount of play that I have with my stock linkage ends.

Here's a video I took of my shifter to show the slop once I'm in-gear. On my car, I can move the shifter approximately 1" from side-to-side in any gear.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...e-mvi_0492.avi

Last edited by Vansquish; 12-10-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
lilloui05 (12-10-2014)
 Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #4

Turbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,902 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

These are the kind of new members msf needs! Great write-up. Thank you!
The Car - 08.5 True Red MS3 GT - MODS -Cp-e nano sri, HTP 3" tip, Autotech internals, Custom fmic 28x8x3.5 cx core, Cobb ap, Autolite XP5263, Turbo_Steve SHIFT HAMMER SSP, TRZ rear mount. Atp Downpipe and custom catted mid pipe. JBR TIG, tb gasket & egr delete, XS POWER V2 turbo manifold, Aem 30-3000 WMI Kit, Ported intake By Turbo_Steve. ADAPTED PERFORMANCE SHIFT HAMMER SSP - ADAPTED PERFORMANCE ENGINE COVERS

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
Turbo_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
chaser27 (12-10-2014), Koke382 (12-10-2014), lilloui05 (12-10-2014), Vansquish (12-10-2014)
 Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

MASSdaSpeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Intro

I just bought my first MazdaSpeed 6 and I did the pivot shaft seal. Now the stick will not move left and right. It goes up and down to each gear but I can’t get it to five and six
MASSdaSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 81
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sell it.
 Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,014 Times in 1,767 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MASSdaSpeed View Post
I just bought my first MazdaSpeed 6 and I did the pivot shaft seal. Now the stick will not move left and right. It goes up and down to each gear but I can’t get it to five and six
Reviving because I can

The shift cable for left/right movement probably has a broken "cone". These keep the part of the shift cable that is fused to the rod ends from deflecting under pressure (when pushing the shifter up or right). When it flexes it tends to break; like rapidly flexing a metal clothes hanger.

Get some more shift cables, pull your entire dash.. the entire dash... so you can lift the HVAC box to get to two 10mm nuts to release the shift cable center section from the firewall.
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

jhutchms6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey @lilloui05 I know it’s been about 5 years since this post. Wondering how well that fix ended up holding for you. Was it permanent or did it end up being temporary? My linkage broke and I’d rather just fix the linkage since the cables are still solid themselves.

Last edited by jhutchms6; 07-13-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Shorten the post
jhutchms6 is offline   Reply With Quote