Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazdaspeed Forums (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/)
-   MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/)
-   -   How To: Install ATP CEL trick kit (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/how-install-atp-cel-trick-kit-95140/)

oh_yeams6 10-22-2011 01:58 PM

How To: Install ATP CEL trick kit

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, this is not a hard install at all, but when dealing with the o2 sensors, you want to be safe!

Step 1: Drive onto ramps or jack up front end of car
Step 2: Find the Rear o2 sensor on the downpipe
Step 3: Remove o2 sensor from Downpipe (use PB blaster if it does not budge). Loosen it slightly, then spray with pb blaster again and retighten. Wait 5min, and unscrew completely.
*note- I used an o2 socket, but you can use an open-end wrench (7/8")

Step 4: apply anti seize to o2 threads & ATP bolt threads or it will not screw in smoothly!
Step 5: screw o2 sensor into ATP socket, and tighten with o2 socket (a little past hand tight)
Step 6: Screw ATP bolt into downpipe, with one washer on each side of unit. Tighten with 22mm, a bit past hand tight

Attachment 43144

Attachment 43145

SSinstaller 10-22-2011 03:01 PM

Step 7. Await MIL P0139

oh_yeams6 10-22-2011 03:04 PM

I don't see that happening?

SSinstaller 10-22-2011 04:26 PM

Why don't you just turn off the cat MIL in ATR?

oh_yeams6 10-22-2011 04:39 PM

Can only have one "not ready" here. Have EGR deleted also :/

SSinstaller 10-22-2011 07:56 PM

You can prevent the cat effiency MIL with a 1 amp rectifier diode on the signal wire of the rear O2 sensor. No other parts are necessary.

The issue is that the rear O2 sensor is used to calibrate the primary O2, so anything you do to the rear O2 will effect the output of the primary...

oh_yeams6 10-22-2011 08:31 PM

I was considering that route, but didn't want to mess with the o2 wires...too pricey after replacing them both already (COBB installed/stripped both)

This setup shouldn't have any negative effects though...I am unsure what you mean?

I was considering that route, but didn't want to mess with the o2 wires...too pricey after replacing them both already (COBB installed/stripped both)

This setup shouldn't have any negative effects though...I am unsure what you mean?

dougefresh_ 10-22-2011 08:43 PM

If the ATP cel thing works, you can just remove it after inspection, and it won't interfere with the primary. I considered doing this (same boat... no cats + egr del), but I've heard they are hit or miss, and didn't want to risk it. So I put egr back on (twice, lol). I got a rejected sticker for my evap not being ready despite doing almost every drive test and having 92 miles since the batter was out... fml.

What DP do you have? Sig says ATP catted... I assume that is old?

GL

oh_yeams6 10-22-2011 10:34 PM

I have an ATP catted DP, but the p0421 comes on after a while anyhow...
Would I have a negative effect on my car from using this all the time? I was under the impression that the rear o2 is simply monitoring the health/function of the catalytic converter.... If it is showing less flow than the front one, it should fool the car into thinking there is no issue...or?

SSinstaller 10-23-2011 10:31 AM

The rear o2 does monitor the cat, but it also is used to correct the sensor drift of the primary o2, and must react to output changes from the primary o2 within a very short time period(iirc .3 seconds).. The problem you run into with o2 spacers like the atp part is that they slow the rear o2 responce down enough that you end up with the p0139 mil and fail your inspection anyway, and as a side effect of the slower/incorrect responce the calibration of the primary sensor will no longer be accurate...

oh_yeams6 10-23-2011 11:02 AM

Okay, I will let you guys know how this behaves, and if it does trigger any lights...hope not :)
Good input @SSinstaller !

speedms6 11-01-2011 07:33 PM

any updates, figured by now u would have gotten lights, im installing a catless soon, might go with this or the two sparkplug antifouler route

dougefresh_ 11-01-2011 08:04 PM

That sucks that you get a cel w/ a high flow cat. When I first went BT w/ catless DP, I forgot to uncheck cel, and I threw it w/in 5 mins or 2 miles... whichever came first, lol

oh_yeams6 11-01-2011 09:08 PM

No CEL yet. I have not logged hundreds of mikes yet, but a light would have common by now. Also, people have been satin this messes with the grit o2, which I do not really agree with...chime in on this if you wish!

speedms6 11-02-2011 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougefresh_ (Post 1107740)
That sucks that you get a cel w/ a high flow cat. When I first went BT w/ catless DP, I forgot to uncheck cel, and I threw it w/in 5 mins or 2 miles... whichever came first, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh_yeams6 (Post 1107799)
No CEL yet. I have not logged hundreds of mikes yet, but a light would have common by now. Also, people have been satin this messes with the grit o2, which I do not really agree with...chime in on this if you wish!

i figured the light would be on by now too, hopefully that means its working

speedms6 11-02-2011 04:59 AM

O2 Simulator, Cel Fix

just order that, same idea as the atp one, just cheaper, when i do my install i'll post up how it goes

wolly6973 11-02-2011 05:44 AM

You can also use a spark plug fouler that you drill out.
DIY from Civic forum here...
DIY O2 Sensor Bypass / Spark Plug Non-Fouler Trick Installation (w/ pics) - Honda Civic Forum

oh_yeams6 11-02-2011 04:30 PM

Lots of ideas!

oh_yeams6 11-04-2011 06:20 PM

I would like to update this thread with some information from ATP:
According to them "there are no ramifications", and it should not hinder the performance of the primary 02 sensor if it's installed on the secondary sensor like it's designed".

Since this is specifically made for our car, that sensor, ect.. I think it is a pretty fair assumption that it will function correctly, and without issues.

SSinstaller 11-05-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh_yeams6 (Post 1111940)
I would like to update this thread with some information from ATP:
According to them "there are no ramifications", and it should not hinder the performance of the primary 02 sensor if it's installed on the secondary sensor like it's designed".

Since this is specifically made for our car, that sensor, ect.. I think it is a pretty fair assumption that it will function correctly, and without issues.

I've tried just about anything you can think of to get rid of the cat MILS.. Any modification to the rear O2 placement changes the output and results in a skewing of the primary O2 output.

It's easily seen if you have a means of viewing the AFR other than the OEM sensor.. The OEM wideband output always drifts leaner than the actual AFR. The diode fix resulted in a full half point drift in the AFR as show by the OEM wideband... and when I removed it, the AFR gradually corrected until it matched my innovate wideband again...

speedms6 12-07-2011 09:07 AM

just to update this, that link i provided in post 16, it works, no cel what so ever, with a completely catless exhaust and the turbo smoked for a day or two. the only drawback i have noticed is the fuel trims go rich a little at idle then all the sudden jump to their targets. seems like only a couple seconds. my assumption is that it takes a little longer for the exhaust gases to the sensor. so i just passed inspection on saturday, gonna take off the extender next chance i get to get the car up. and just clear out the cel using atr, then throw the extender back on for inspection next year.