register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree11Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #121
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,035 Times in 2,289 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The whine might not be coming from the T-case then.
Or may be you havent filled it up enough with gear oil.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #122

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 102
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to revive but replacing my case with a CX7 unit this Saturday. Gathering the seals I want to change and think I might need to change the bearing in the intermediate shaft housing on the passenger side.

Put my car up on the rack a couple weeks ago to check things out before total failure of my PTO occured. I grabbed the inboard CV joint on the passenger side and was able to move it up and down and inch or so. The movement was not the joint, but rather the shaft going into the housing. The mechanic standing next to me said "oh, that's normal". The more I read and studied the parts diagram past two days the more I doubt what he stated.

Does anyone know if its normal to have movement at that junction of the splines on the two shafts? I feel like that connection point should be tight and solid. Am I correct? In attached picture movement occurs where you see the orange seal.

I may just order the bearing and dust shields just to have on hand this weekend. Fortunately my friends shop has a press if it comes to that.

I also wonder if that bearing is indeed failed...that perhaps it caused the complete failure of my stock PTO pinion gear losing teeth....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (117.3 KB, 26 views)
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold

Last edited by Thor Hammer; 02-01-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #123

Boltz has disabled reputation
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the CV axle hub with female spline that goes on the male spline shown in that picture can wiggle on the male spline, and may go in. out a little but i doubt an inch. It is held in by a spring clip so it wont slide off. as for how much it can wiggle I haven't had my hands on one in a while. My guess is once it is apart you will find the problem. The Male spline shaft should not push in or pull out, nor should it be able to be pushed up or down. That indicates bearing problems or shaft wear.

To change that bearing just under the male spline seen in the picture you best have a bering press and i believe snap ring pliers. You can inspect that shaft and bearing once it is out by spinning the shaft feeling for crunchy rotation. also check for shaft to bearing inner race wear. the shaft is pressed in the bearing and should not move on the shaft. However the aluminum outer case can be sloppy on the bearing outer race as it tends to wear since its more of a slip fit. If you hammer bearings on you need to do so only pushing on the inner race or you damage the bearing. Something like a pipe or hollow round bar stock.

Easiest is to just buy that assembly new.
Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #124

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Boltz View Post
the CV axle hub with female spline that goes on the male spline shown in that picture can wiggle on the male spline, and may go in. out a little but i doubt an inch. It is held in by a spring clip so it wont slide off. as for how much it can wiggle I haven't had my hands on one in a while. My guess is once it is apart you will find the problem. The Male spline shaft should not push in or pull out, nor should it be able to be pushed up or down. That indicates bearing problems or shaft wear.

To change that bearing just under the male spline seen in the picture you best have a bering press and i believe snap ring pliers. You can inspect that shaft and bearing once it is out by spinning the shaft feeling for crunchy rotation. also check for shaft to bearing inner race wear. the shaft is pressed in the bearing and should not move on the shaft. However the aluminum outer case can be sloppy on the bearing outer race as it tends to wear since its more of a slip fit. If you hammer bearings on you need to do so only pushing on the inner race or you damage the bearing. Something like a pipe or hollow round bar stock.

Easiest is to just buy that assembly new.
Thanks for the reply. I picked up the bearing and dust seal. Tools are a non-issue. I'll know if the bearing is shot tomorrow when I tear it out.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
 Old 02-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #125

Not Ranked  0 score     

Another CX7 case successfully installed. Turns out the bearing on the passenger intermediate shaft was indeed shot. Installed a new one. All good.

The best part? My car is quiet again. No more bearing whine. Stoked.

9 hours start to finish working mostly on my own and taking my time. Dropped the subframe which made it much easier. And having a lift :-)

Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #126

Bonestockms6 has a spectacular aura aboutBonestockms6 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for all the great info here. don't need it yet but it's nice to have spare parts lined up
Bonestockms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #127
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,491 Times in 5,787 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Updating for seal part number clarification. If you want to replace all 3 seals (recommended), this is what you need:

Big end of PTO input shaft: LN01-27-238
Small end of PTO input shaft: LN01-27-514
Passenger axle output: LN01-27-398
Attached Images
File Type: png TC_Seals.png (335.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png TC_Seals_2.png (1.81 MB, 4 views)

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Fi5H (02-13-2018), Thor Hammer (02-13-2018)
 Old 02-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #128

Fi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud ofFi5H has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn't make this pic, I found it on Facebook but while we are updating the thread this has some good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 MPS6 Gray - BNR S3 Version 2 turbo| 2XS turbo manifold| CPE 3” catted down pipe| Magna Flow 2.5” cat back| HTP 3” turbo inlet pipe| HTP 3” MAF housing| HDI front mount intercooler| Turbo smart plumb back BOV| 3 bar map sensor| 3 port cobb boost solenoid| Auto Tech fuel pump| CPE injector seals| EGR delete (second and primary)| VTCS delete| JBR Thermal Insulating Gasket Intake Manifold| JBR Thermal Insulating Gasket Throttle Body| Throttle body coolant bypass| NGK LTR7IX-11 Spark Plug | Stretched coil pack springs| V3 Access Port.

98RON 350hp 361ftlb
Fi5H is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/how-make-cx7-transfer-case-fit-your-125736/
Posted By For Type Date
Olde Guy w 2007 MazdaSpeed6- new to this "Forum" / "Thread" media- have questions - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 02-26-2015 04:54 PM
Transfer case still leaking....need advice - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 10-01-2013 01:50 PM
transfer case ms6 This thread Refback 09-29-2013 08:27 AM
Has anyone rebuilt a PTO? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 12-19-2012 10:21 PM