register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree12Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,748 Times in 2,277 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How-To: MS6 Front Sway Bar Bushing

How-To: Replace FSB Bushings

Symptoms-
thunk sound originating directly in front of the driver & passenger floor boards triggered by pretty much any bump or movement of front suspension.
Slight sloppy feel to the steering action

Parts used:
Energy Suspension 9.5160 Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 15/16 in / 24mm
I used the black ones
I was able to use the included bracket without modification

to be complete, these fit the 23mm rsb- Energy Suspension 9.5115 Universal Sway Bar Bushings - 23mm Made by Energy Suspension
The rears are the non-greasable style since there's not enough room for the fitting.

tools-
10mm socket
14mm ratchet wrench
17mm ''
19mm wrench (leverage)
17mm socket
19mm socket & extension
breaker bar
6mm allen wrench
12" pry bar or large flat head screwdriver

Steps-
Jack from front center and place jack stands on frame rails behind sub-frame

remove tires

remove under tray 7 10mm bolts

separate upper tie rod end link from hub/control arm, both driver & passenger sides, so fsb is under no tension 14mm & 6mm allen

loosen front sub frame bolts 3-4 turns ONLY - 2 19mm & extension

loosen & remove tunnel support, set aside - 4 17mm nut
loosen rear sub-frame bolts- 4 17mm bolts, 2 19mm nuts, DO NOT REMOVE, leave 5-6 threads holding
- - You're just going to lower sub-frame, not drop it!!

with sub-frame lowered and support removed you will have access to FSB bushing bolts from both outside & inside the sub-frame, you will need both to get them out

using a 14mm ratcheting wrench is highly recommended over normal box wrench- this job justified the cost of the entire set! You will have just about enough room to get quarter turns at a time, patience is your friend!
Start on passenger side, remove bolts from FSB bracket approaching from outside or inside as you can, I used the 19mm wrench to apply extra leverage breaking them loose
- - mine had no loctite on them, but others have reported fighting for every turn

use pry bar to pop bracket loose from bushing
slide bushing towards you on the FSB till you can pop it off, mine were totally worn out and came off easily
compare bolt hole position between new & old brackets to be sure no modifications needed
apply lube/grease of choice to inside ob bushing
place new bushing on bar and slide up into position
fit new bracket over bushing and finger tight bolts
Blue Loctite is suggested, even tho mine had none from factory.
torque bolts to finish spec (tight as shit, no room for tq wrench if not removing sub frame from car)

Now that practice is over, take a break for a minute & get a drink.
Next we move to drivers side which includes a bonus step of playing with the steering rack, yay!

Remove rear 14mm bolt from the FSB
Next, notice that the steering rack is in the way of removing the front FSB bolt. Remove the 2 17mm bolts from steering rack with 17mm ratchet wrench
use pry bar to slide rack forward just enough to clear front FSB bolt. The rack should move easily, but only move it as much as necessary so your steering doesn't change spec.
Now go ahead & remove front 14mm bolt from fsb bracket

Now just repeat steps from passenger side- slide bushing towards you on the FSB till you can pop it off
apply lube/grease of choice to inside ob bushing
place new bushing on bar and slide up into position
fit new bracket over bushing and finger tight bolts using some blue loctite
torque bolts to finish spec (still tight as shit & no room for tq wrench)
replace 2 17mm bolts for steering rack using some blue loctite here too

reattach FSB end links
remount tires
remove jack stands
test drive & marvel at the improved feel & no mo thunk
rejoice & have a beverage of choice

I highly encourage checking your bolts for tightness & re-torque after getting some mileage. No need to lower sub-frame again, you'll have just enough room to be sure nothing moves. If any bolt is loose, use your discretion and if needed go ahead & lower the sub-frame and make things right! I checked mine after ~30 miles and all was as I left it. I'll check it again after a few hundred miles, but am not anticipating any issues, I'm just particular about things.
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq

Last edited by TiGraySpeed6; 08-08-2014 at 05:39 AM.
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
ak_spray (07-19-2012), Amnesiac (08-16-2015), aviator79 (02-24-2016), bazzarino (09-07-2012), Code Monkey (07-08-2012), dale_gribble (04-21-2016), daztdMS6 (06-20-2012), ESB Jiu JItsu (07-17-2012), forgedzoomzoom (07-19-2012), Funkster777 (08-12-2014), jracer (12-24-2012), Lost hawaiian (07-18-2012), meelo88 (04-03-2013), meicalnissyen (02-07-2017), Mi06Speed6 (07-17-2012), MicaBlackMS6 (07-19-2012), Muzzybud (03-01-2016), phate (08-07-2012), rob ms6gt (10-22-2012), SJP0tato (06-20-2012), smittyMS6 (06-20-2012), srj71 (07-15-2012), superskaterxes (07-17-2012), VitaminC (03-08-2016)
 Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #2

daztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the How-to!! My future project
DashHawk, CorkSport TIP & SRI, CorkSport TMIC, SU RMM, CPE rear diff mount, Perrin EBCS, TurboSmart BPV, TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, JBR EGR deletion & TIG, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD shocks, LED light bulbs, TRS clear projectors, 35W DDM Tuning HID foglights, Hawks HPS brake pads, Amsoil in the rear diff, pto & trans, factory navi, XCarLink USB.
daztdMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

smittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the worldsmittyMS6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the writeup. I will probably look into doing this in the near future.
 Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #4

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry I was more focused on doing work than publishing work for this how-to, so we suffer with the subsequent lack of good detail pics.

If ya'll have any questions, I'm happy to discuss, and add details or additional clarity where needed to the OP.

If anybody is kind enough to grab some decent in-process pics that you think would help clarify the OP, I'll happily buy em from ya with large quantities of MSF Bucks and add them to the OP!

340hp / 371tq

Last edited by TiGraySpeed6; 06-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.
 Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

srj71 has a spectacular aura aboutsrj71 has a spectacular aura aboutsrj71 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks a ton for the how-to and pics. This thunk has been driving me crazy. I'm ordering the replacement, greaseable bushings now and will try to get this done next weekend. If I can get any good pics I'll let you know, but yours look great.

Update:
I received my bushings yesterday and, being in manufacturing, I checked out "how they were made" (sorry, I'm a geek). I noticed that the plastic (polyurethane) did not appear to be molded properly in the area where grease is supposed to flow through the fitting into the bushing. So, I took a couple of pictures and called Energy Suspension and they confirmed that the through-hole should definitely be open All The Way Through. The guy said I could "drill out the hole" if I wanted, and he would also send me a replacement set. So, the lesson here is if you are going to switch to these bushings, please check to make sure grease will actually enter the bushing before getting them on your car.

TiGreySpeed6 - did you happen to look at this on yours before installing?

see pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greaseable Sway Bar Bushing1.jpg (566.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Greaseable Sway Bar Bushing2.jpg (530.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by srj71; 07-13-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: update info on bushings
srj71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to srj71 For This Useful Post:
daztdMS6 (07-18-2012), TiGraySpeed6 (07-08-2012)
 Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #6

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

did this fix your symptoms?
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
speedms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@srj71 - I did check, the hole is small, but all the way through

@speedms6 - Was that question at me? It did address the FSB symptom I had, yuppers
340hp / 371tq
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
speedms6 (07-17-2012)
 Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

ESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the worldESB Jiu JItsu is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

future awesome right here thank you sir!
-2.75 Blow Through MAF/Custom CXracing FMIC&BOV/Fujita SRI/AEM dryflow/PG TIP/SLS TP/Exhaust Delete/NGK LTR7IX11 plugs/ TB Coolant BP/Bat->Trunk Relocation/JBR egr delete
-TWM Stage 2 Short Shifter/JBR Weighted Shift Knob/TWM 4in Shifter Extender
-Emil Drilled/Slotted rotors/Hawk HP Pads/Clutch Pedal Mod/Shift Counter Weight Mod
-Custom Vented Hood/Custom Front Bumper/Emblem delete/Prosport Mech. boost gauge
ESB Jiu JItsu is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

Mi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond reputeMi06Speed6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by srj71 View Post
Update:
I received my bushings yesterday and, being in manufacturing, I checked out "how they were made" (sorry, I'm a geek). I noticed that the plastic (polyurethane) did not appear to be molded properly in the area where grease is supposed to flow through the fitting into the bushing. So, I took a couple of pictures and called Energy Suspension and they confirmed that the through-hole should definitely be open All The Way Through. The guy said I could "drill out the hole" if I wanted, and he would also send me a replacement set. So, the lesson here is if you are going to switch to these bushings, please check to make sure grease will actually enter the bushing before getting them on your car.
Wait, that little nipple that is on the bracket is supposed to let grease pass through it? I have a set of the greasable bushings sitting in my garage. Spent 3 f'n hours changing out my FSB endlinks last weekend. Stupid nut rounded off and forced meto cut it off. Dremel FTW. Thankfully I waited since i wouldn't have had this How-to.

TiGreySpeed6 - did you happen to look at this on yours before installing?
@TiGraySpeed6 - Didn't you get the graphite ones or something? I remember talking about this in another thread.
'06 Mazdaspeed 6|| Cobb SF & AP Stage 1 | RPM Street Springs | SPC Ball Joints | SU Rear MM | SURE Dread | Whiteline RSB |18x8 Enkei EKM3 w/ 225/40 | JBR SSP & SURE Anchors | Rotora Blanks w/ EBC Red Stuff | 6K HID lights/fogs | V2 Pre-amp |
Mi06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes I did get the graphite ones. Probably... I got the black ones FWIW

ES gives you the option of getting them in Red or Black. They explain that the only difference is that some of the black ones are graphite impregnated...

Energy Suspension 9.5160 Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 15/16 in / 24mm

Color

Energy Suspension makes parts in 2 colors. Red and Black.

How are these two colors different?

The only difference between the red and black parts is that most Black Energy Suspension parts are Graphite Impregnated. This serves to help self lubricate the bushings. The Red parts do not have this characteristic. Aside from the actual color and the lack of being Graphite Impregnated - the red parts are essentially the same as the black.

I thought that the RED parts were harder and more performance oriented?

This is a common misconception. The red parts have the same durometer (hardness) as the Black parts and differ only in their actual appearance (color) and the fact that they're NOT graphite impregnated like the Black parts.
340hp / 371tq
 Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,008 Times in 5,263 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

did you happen to take any picts of your stock bushings? what did they look like coming out?
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn't take pics, but they are still sitting on the workbench where I left em. Soon as it stops raining I'll walk out to the shop & grab a few.

FWIW, they look normal, not torn up or anything. They're soft like used chewing gum tho. Think OEM RMM soft, or OEM Rear Diff soft. Single ply toilet paper would've been stronger.

Combined with the split being on the bottom and it was easy to see the FSB being able to make contact with the sub-frame.
340hp / 371tq
 Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some pics of the OEM bushings.
They don't look torn up or anything, but they are soooo soft.
I'm spreading them open with two fingers, but the new ones I could barely open wide enough to get on the sway bar.

340hp / 371tq
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (02-24-2016), daztdMS6 (07-18-2012), jracer (12-24-2012), Muzzybud (03-01-2016), phate (04-24-2013), We Are Ninja (10-14-2012)
 Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,008 Times in 5,263 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

so when the bushing becomes worn does it just get softer? like how would u diagnose this if you were just handed those bushings?
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just like any bushing- I expect it to maintain inegrity. If you can spread them easily, if they are "squishy" or anything that comes close, then they are no longer holding the bar in a single fixed position.

That lack is doubled when the split is between the bar & frame creating a natural weak spot that seems designed to allow the sway to thunk or clunk against the frame.
340hp / 371tq
 Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #16

daztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Another thing added to the list of upgrading the weak parts from Mazda. Graphite all the way!
DashHawk, CorkSport TIP & SRI, CorkSport TMIC, SU RMM, CPE rear diff mount, Perrin EBCS, TurboSmart BPV, TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, JBR EGR deletion & TIG, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD shocks, LED light bulbs, TRS clear projectors, 35W DDM Tuning HID foglights, Hawks HPS brake pads, Amsoil in the rear diff, pto & trans, factory navi, XCarLink USB.
daztdMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #17

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

@TiGraySpeed6 im assuming you just used some graphite based grease?
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
 Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #18

srj71 has a spectacular aura aboutsrj71 has a spectacular aura aboutsrj71 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got the job done last Sunday and still thuncreaking. I'll look for other discussions - seems like I remember reading something about upper strut mounts... At least now I know I've got good FSB bushings!

TiGreySpeed6, I was never able to get the innermost steering rack bolt loosened, for lack of access. This, however forced me to find a way to do the job without jiggering the rack. The side wall of the ratcheting 14mm box wrench for the FSB bracket bolt was too big to get in between the bolt head and the back of the steering rack, like you said (good tip on buying the ratcheting box wrenches, by the way - always looking for a reason to build the tool collection) so I used a normal box wrench with a thinner wall, and although it was a lot of little partial turns, I did eventually get the bolt loose.

Other than the strut mounts, if you have any guidance on the thunk/creak I'm all ears.
Thanks again for your original post.
srj71 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@ speedms6 - I just used some red wheel bearing & high temp stuff I have, nothing fancy.

Video linked below with some good generic suspension noise hunting techniques.

Common spots for clunk type sounds over bumps can include the upper wishbone mounts getting loose, upper & lower ball joints loose or failing, upper strut bearing loose or failing, even the lower control arm bushings failing. Really, almost anything up in there can get noisy.

My FSB was an obvious noise maker because I could easily move the bar by hand in the mounts when disconnected from the end links. Not just rotate, but wiggle up & down, and when I pulled down hard I could touch frame with audible result since it squeezed the bushing out of the way.

Upper wishbone mounts are easy to check, and if the check finds em loose you're fixing them at the same time-
-jack up the front at the center point by the radiator
-grab a 14mm wrench
-over the tire, either side of the spring, you'll see where the upper wishbone mounts to the body. Bolts are facing the spring.
-tighten bolts.

If they were loose at all, they were thunking & clunking over bumps.
I got 1/2 turn on 3 out of 4 of mine, and about 3/4 on the 4th bolt.

This is a decent video on all around generic suspension troubleshooting, and is worth the ~20 minutes.

Hope it helps

340hp / 371tq
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
daztdMS6 (08-21-2012), Lost hawaiian (07-19-2012), speedms6 (07-19-2012), srj71 (09-17-2012)
 Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

@TiGraySpeed6 finally got around to doing this the other day while doing my shocks and springs, my driver side front sub frame bolt will not move. 24" breaker bar snapped an adapter to a 3/8" drive, i sprayed it with pb gonna go buy a 1/2" drive 19 mm socket and see if that helps, you have this prob;em at all?
 Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn't, but no snow & salt roads around here!

Get some PB Blaster when you pick up the 1/2" drive socket, give it a spray & let that soak in for a bit. The combination should get that sucker loose for ya
340hp / 371tq
 Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #22

SyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond reputeSyntheticAtmosphere has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dragging up an old thread... Im heading down this road.

Any issues accessing the zerks once everything is installed? the pics are hard to tell. Would 90* zerks give better access?
SyntheticAtmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #23

jm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I bought the RSB bushing per the OP. I would recommend the red, or graphite infused ones as the nibble on the greasable ones was touching the inner most driver side cv boot. I had to remove the nibble and shave some of the base of the bushing to get it with enough clearance. Even if there was enough clearance the cv would block the nibble. fab is a different story.

Edit: fuck, I'm brown.
Cobb AP | Stratified Tune Stage 1 OTS | JBR Stage II Intake | cp-e 3'' Straight Exhaust | JBR RMM | SURE AGS 600 Gram Shift Knob | SURE Anchors | SURE Return | SURE SSP/Weight | All Redline Fluids | Shell T6 | Forge V1

ms6db.com I'm Registered. Are You?

Last edited by jm211; 08-07-2014 at 06:15 PM.
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the notes on fitment issues for the WL RSB bushings! I'll add that to the OP, along with the link to the matching set without the zerk fitting.

The red ones from Energy Suspension are not graphite infused, only the black ones. See notes from ES quoted below. They also have several to pick from, including both greasable shown in the OP and a non-greasable version without the zerk fitting. Just pick out the diameter of the bar and go from there

These would be the non-greasable version with the matching dimensions for the stock 23mm RSB-
Energy Suspension 9.5115 Universal Sway Bar Bushings - 23mm Made by Energy Suspension

Energy Suspension makes parts in 2 colors. Red and Black.

How are these two colors different?

The only difference between the red and black parts is that most Black Energy Suspension parts are Graphite Impregnated. This serves to help self lubricate the bushings. The Red parts do not have this characteristic. Aside from the actual color and the lack of being Graphite Impregnated - the red parts are essentially the same as the black.

I thought that the RED parts were harder and more performance oriented?

This is a common misconception. The red parts have the same durometer (hardness) as the Black parts and differ only in their actual appearance (color) and the fact that they're NOT graphite impregnated like the Black parts.
340hp / 371tq
 Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #25

ihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Trying to tackle this now and was hoping to find a way to do it without dropping the subframe but I don't see that it's possible to get on that driver side front nut.
What's funny is that you can access the passenger side nuts from above in the engine bay no problem, Here I am breaking free the rear pass nut with a long extension.

The Following User Says Thank You to ihasmazda For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (02-24-2016)
 Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #26

ihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like this may be possible w/o subframe drop... the steering rack bolts are easily loosened again from above in the engine bay. That will hopefully allow me to lift it out of the way enough.
Problem now is I don't have a ratcheting wrench and need to break loose the drivers side bushing bolts and there is just not enough room to get leverage... so frustrating.
 Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #27

BoostedRide is a jewel in the roughBoostedRide is a jewel in the roughBoostedRide is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 10
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ihasmazda View Post
Looks like this may be possible w/o subframe drop... the steering rack bolts are easily loosened again from above in the engine bay. That will hopefully allow me to lift it out of the way enough.
Problem now is I don't have a ratcheting wrench and need to break loose the drivers side bushing bolts and there is just not enough room to get leverage... so frustrating.
Yes, old thread. How did it go? @ihasmazda
BoostedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #28

VitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
I just did this and the rack. Drop the sub-frame, it like 4 bolts and 2 nuts and the bolt for the steering joint in the car. If your doing the rack too, put jack under the front and rear of the sub-frame, undo the steering joint in the car, drop the front nuts, rear nuts and bolts, pull the strut bolts at the lower control arm, undo the splash shield plastic rivets that connect to the sub-frame and enjoy tons of room to work and cuss like a sailor putting it back up. I found a small 2x4 between the frame and sub allowed me to jack it up straight since it will sit at an angle.

Oh and if your on the fence about doing this it was a huge improvement. Like I put a fat bar on the front with out the added over steer. 130k on mine, no rot or tears, look nice but soft like poop.
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaminC For This Useful Post:
BoostedRide (03-28-2016)
 Old 04-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #29

f15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Question guys I got the greasable red swaybar bushings, but after reading one of the early post form, I am a little confused. When SRJ71 said the fill hole is supposed to go all the way throught, does it mean all the way through to the ID (the surface that makes contact with the swaybar)? or he meant all the way through to some internal pocket ?

Here is how mine looks, I did notice that in his pic the hole is plugged, while mine is open..

2006 MS6 GT - Titanium Silver - #05750 -Cobb AP V2 - AT HPFP - 3" JBR Full Intake-
FidanzdaFlywheel - AWR Trilogy - Techna-Fit Brakes & Clutch SSL - Turbo XS Test Pipe - Maganaflow Catback
99 Civic Dx 5spd - DD/Backup Car
f15ms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #30

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,061 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would say so. But how will you ever be able to grease them anyways?
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #31

VitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to allVitaminC is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

The grease hole should intersect the dispersion channels. Just drill it open, Urethane is easy to work with.
f15ms6 likes this.
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #32

f15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the worldf15ms6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
I would say so. But how will you ever be able to grease them anyways?
You can add grease using a grease gun, through the filler valve

Originally Posted by VitaminC View Post
The grease hole should intersect the dispersion channels. Just drill it open, Urethane is easy to work with.
Great thanks the confirmation, I will drill the hole all the way through, I noticed the channels but I was reading the little instruction sheet and it said grease needs to be added to that section, and I wasnt sure if the bushing also had an internal pocket/channel for grease.
2006 MS6 GT - Titanium Silver - #05750 -Cobb AP V2 - AT HPFP - 3" JBR Full Intake-
FidanzdaFlywheel - AWR Trilogy - Techna-Fit Brakes & Clutch SSL - Turbo XS Test Pipe - Maganaflow Catback

Last edited by f15ms6; 04-21-2016 at 02:26 PM.
 Old 04-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
had to drop the subframe a few inches to get it back together or else the bolts wouldnt line up angle wise with the holes in the subframe. I tried for way too long to do it without and it wouldn't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to ihasmazda For This Useful Post:
BoostedRide (04-26-2016)
 Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Smh the bushings I got are ok, took a second look at them few mins ago and I was able to see that the hole goes all the way through.. So drilling is required in my case

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited by f15ms6; 04-22-2016 at 09:57 AM.
 Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #35

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by f15ms6 View Post
You can add grease using a grease gun, through the filler valve
Good luck with that.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
 Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #36

Elrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
Good luck with that.
I turned mine so that they face straight to the sides of the car, pretty easy to get to on a lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT #3352 137k mi.
Nav deleted for Galaxy Tab 2 mod because it was shithouse and an Auzmod to keep my sat and such (like a bawss)
GenPu engine:
Poor Man's EBCS ($20, can't beat it)
HTP 3.5
CP-E Fuel injector seals
Custom TR8 FMIC, Mazo catless DP in to 3 IN Corksport exhaust, TMM inserts
Relentless P&P Intake Manifold
Damond EGR delete, OCC, PCV Plate
Autotech HPFP
JBR RMM,weight and Shift knob
Ralco Short Throw shifter
ACT Stage 3 Clutch
H&R Springs
EVO VIII Wheels
SP63 PTO caps
Purple Drank e30 tuned
Soon to come: Gen 2 gear swap, rear diff mounts, PMM, Holset HX35 and focus log mani with EWG
Elrodd is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Elrodd View Post
I turned mine so that they face straight to the sides of the car, pretty easy to get to on a lift.

Oh, you put 90* fittings on them?

I am debating installing a lift
Elrodd likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to aviator79 For This Useful Post:
Elrodd (04-22-2016)
 Old 04-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #38

Elrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond reputeElrodd has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

They actually came with them pleasant surprise!

f15ms6 likes this.
Nav deleted for Galaxy Tab 2 mod because it was shithouse and an Auzmod to keep my sat and such (like a bawss)
GenPu engine:
HTP 3.5
CP-E Fuel injector seals
Autotech HPFP
ACT Stage 3 Clutch
H&R Springs
EVO VIII Wheels
SP63 PTO caps
Purple Drank e30 tuned
Soon to come: Gen 2 gear swap, rear diff mounts, PMM, Holset HX35 and focus log mani with EWG
 Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Elrodd View Post
They actually came with them pleasant surprise!

You are lucky mines came with a vertical filler :/

Do you know if local part stores sell 90* ones?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I'm pretty sure they have them in the help section

f15ms6 likes this.
GenPu engine:
HTP 3.5
CP-E Fuel injector seals
Autotech HPFP
ACT Stage 3 Clutch
H&R Springs
EVO VIII Wheels
SP63 PTO caps
Purple Drank e30 tuned

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/how-mazdaspeed-6-front-sway-bar-bushing-116537/
Posted By For Type Date
FR creaking suspension - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 06-06-2013 01:14 PM
BRAND NEW:: SPC Ball Joints, Swaybar Bushings, K&N filter kit - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 11-02-2012 10:48 AM
Need Help: Excessive clunking on drivetrain - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 06-18-2012 07:18 PM