register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #41

Swinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,023 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 45 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by DamagedGoods View Post
Rotor screws are a PITA on any car that has them equipped, lol. If you can get your hands on an impact driver (Can tire) it'll save you a lot of frustration and time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
thanks. Yeah I actually tried pounding a larget socket onto the handle of a screw driver which held plenty hard to start stripping the screws. I didnt strip them completely, left enough to actually get a hold of it still.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Performance:

Stratified Tune in progress

Old Set-up: CS Ram air intake with 3" HTP inlet + "sig"
Vdyno 323 awhp 349 awtq uncorrected

Current Set up: JBR 3.5" WP, Perm PCV w/dual catch cans, trunk battery
Vdyno 343 awhp 374 awtq uncorrected

Corksport CBE ~ Ebay DP ~ Autotech Internals ~ COBB AP ~ BC Racing Coilovers ~ SURE shortcut ~ SURE countershift ~ SURE anchors ~ heavy sphere shift knob by maisonvi (MSF member) ~ CP-E seals ~ BSD ~ baffle pan ~ Dual Corksport OCC ~ CP-E Rear Diff Mount ~ SURE Juggernaught ~ Dashhawk ~ AWR 88 duro trilogy ~ EGR delete ~ 3 bar ~ JBR TIG's ~ Grimmspeed 3 port ~ GT2871R w/ported hotside ~ JBR 3.5 inch intake ~ Perm Tuning PCV Plate ~ Forge V1 BPV ~ ITV22's @ .026" ~ CP-E Helihose
Swinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #42
I have candy in my van

MATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,154 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Impact drivers are the only way to really get them out. I drilled all of mine out.

MATT DAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MATT DAMOND For This Useful Post:
Swinger13 (03-04-2014)
 Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #43

BigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I figure I will bump this thread instead of starting a new one as it is relevant.

Over the weekend I replaced front and rear rotors and pads. Rotors were centric premium, pads were CS up front and OEM in the back. First of all, thanks @MATT DAMOND; for the write up. This was my first time doing brakes and the how to helped considerably.

So last night the car sat out in the rain all night and the rotors got a bit of surface rust. I got to work this morning and quick checked things out and it appears there is some uneven wear going on already. On the back passenger and possibly even front passenger there was still some visible rust on parts of the rotor that should have worn off on the drive in. So my question is what is causing this and how do I remedy?

I cleaned the shit out of the guide pins front and back. That was one of the most time consuming parts of the install as I took my time and really cleaned and lubed up. My car is right at 80K and to my knowledge this was the first time the brakes have been changed I know, I know. The old ones were worn to shit and rotors nicely grooved. I had to compress the pistons a ton. On the fronts there was zero lube on the caliper pins upon removal. But again, I cleaned and relubed thoroughly. I took the car out after completing and did several 40 or 50-20 firm stops.

I did not remove the actual calipers so I haven't done a fluid flush/change yet but will this weekend. I noticed the initial bite seems softened up a bit compared to before but they do stop well if I put good pressure on them. I was kinda expecting a noticeable improvement considering how worn the old ones were. There are no squealing or other noises so far that I can tell. Everything seems fine except the softer initial feel and the possible uneven wear.

So I know I tend to be long winded, but looking for a little feedback on what might be causing these symptoms and what I might need to do to remedy. Thanks for your help
cp-e RMM, TMIC, Stiff Diff
AP
KMD V2.whatever
Ebay Catless DP
Grom Ipod
BigjohnB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #44
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,728 Times in 5,873 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you don't have many miles on them, I wouldn't worry. Some pads take a long time to fully bed - EBC's take nearly 1,000 miles in some cases. If they haven't mostly evened up after 500 miles or so, then further inspection is probably warranted.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
BigjohnB20 (05-12-2014)
 Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #45

BigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the worldBigjohnB20 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well thats good to hear. Yea there is only about 35 miles on them so far. I suppose I will keep an eye on them over the next week or two and see how things look.
cp-e RMM, TMIC, Stiff Diff
AP
KMD V2.whatever
Ebay Catless DP
Grom Ipod
BigjohnB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #46

Mazd1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMazd1222 has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to open up an old thread. Can I bleed the brakes by myself if so how do I do it or do I need to people?
Mazd1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #47

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The easiest is to be 2. 1 in the car and 1 at the wheel.
With bleeder closed, 1 pump and then hold some load on the pedal.
Then, the other open the bleeder slowly
When the pedal reach the floor, the person must keep it there until the bleeder is closed back.

Put a small and clear hose on the bleeder to route the oil as it is very corrosive against any car paint...

To do it alone, you need special tools, either something to pressurize the oil tank or a check valve or pump at the bleeder. And you need to know how to work with these tools or you will let air come in the lines....

The hardest part on a old car is always to open the bleeders without breaking them on the caliper. If you have the cap on, it may help. And if you break one, it is at some point better to get a whole replacement caliper as it get hard to remove if you aren't skilled to do so.

With rusted bleeders, If there is no air in the system and you don't need to replace hoses or calipers, i wouldn't mess with it just to flush the oil...

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #48

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bolt to press rotor off is 8x1.25 i think. Bolts that hold brake line to fram on rear (2 bolts on braket) work. Idk if bolts that hold line to strut on front are same size as mine were rusted as i replaced them and did not want to shear. But was needed to get 3 rotors off as had no hammer so i was glad to find one that worked using Matts info.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #49

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I blead brakes myself using hose to 1L bottle. Worked fine. Did Audi the other day same way using the cup that comes with mityvac.
Use 6pt socket to loosen bleeders THEN use a wrench and dont force it. Mine have not turned in many years and had no issues. I find that I dont need to turn close each pump so can do myself now. If anything sucks back into bleeder it will be fluid that is in drain hose so no air gets in. I had used speed bleeders 12 years ago when bought car but had one shear off on slave cylinder so removed them. U can get sheered bleeder out without replaing caliper. Idk what last poster is saying. I did have to remove slave cylinder to get sheared bleeder out thou.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
 Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #50

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My point about replacing caliper in case of a broken bleeder is for someone that already need help to do a brake job. I will personally try to save the caliper like you but the newbie with very basic tools may have a very hard time taking out the broken bleeder without breaking the seat. If the person need a mechanics that charge to do it, it may cost more than a rebuild-ed unit...

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....

Last edited by Jeff23spl; 01-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (01-07-2019)
 Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #51

Not Ranked  0 score     

I just replaced with Stoptech/centric Premium High-Carbon Rotors / Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads.

$192.

Basic but good.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/how-mazdaspeed6-replace-pads-rotors-26351/
Posted By For Type Date
Free PSP ISO Downloads EUR PSP ISO & CSO Downloads This thread Refback 05-02-2012 07:56 AM