register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By SixxSpeed6

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

SixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How To: REVISED SPC ADJUSTABLE UPPER BALL JOINTS INSTALL W/PICS

Yes there are how to on this already but alot of them seem to add extra unecessary steps, in paticular removing your strut assemblies. I did it without removing them.

Tools u need:
19mm wrench
17mm wrench
14mm wrench
27mm socket
1/2" ratchet
Hammer (preferably 4lb+)
prybar
Flat head screwdriver
Jack and stands
Wd-40
45 mins

**For even faster removal of the ball joints without removing the upper control arms, buy or rent a BJ press tool. Check out TiGraySpeed6 post below for a pic of what it looks like**

Ok so most ppl install these for handling performance purposes, but i always like to upgrade any maintenance items i have to replace so this was the case.

1. Jack up one side and set it up on jack stands. Remove wheel.

2. Grab ur 17mm wrench and loosen the upper ball joint nut

3. Now take ur hammer and tap the ball joint till the knuckle and UCA seperate.

4. As ive seen b4 some tell u to remove ur strut assembly to gain access to the UCA bolts but u can skip that step and go grab ur 14mm wrench and loosen both bolts.

Here you can see u can back out the bolts all the way through the spaces of the spring.

Simple as that !............ But wait, whats that u say? When you back out the bolts all the way it looks like this?⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇

Ahhh that were the jack comes in to play. Position it under the Lca like so and jack it up till you have clearance for the bolt to come out.

5. Now that you have the UCA out remove the rubber boot with a flat head screwdriver.

Yea my boot torn and was makin all sorts of squeeks n groans. Ughh

6. Now get a vice or any stable secure surface and hammer down the old ball joint out of the UCA. Take care not to go crayz and bend things. Here is were wd-40 is ur friend. Tap opposite sides of the ball joint so it doesnt snag and get stuck.

Ok heres an exploded view of the SPC adjustable ball joints

7. Next is assembling the Spc joint in the UCA. Make sure that u wipe the area down so no debris gets in the way.

8.flip it over and put the cap with the slots on top. Make sure u line it up correctly.

9.insert the ball joint on the bottom

10. Now put the washer and nut on top and hand tighten.

I realize there are 2 ways to put the ball joint, one gets u a lil more neg camber. Its a lil dif to explain in words but these pics are for the left side (driver side).

For more NEGATIVE camber install with SPC logo on the right (as thoo your facing the UCA installed on the left/driver side)

For more positive camber (who wants that?) Install with serial number on the right.

If you have no idea wat im talking about then either way youll till be able to get more neg camber than stock. How much u need depends on ur own preference. ***

11. Get ur 27mm socket 1/2" ratchet and tighten to ur base setting. We'll torque down to 120ftlbs after the arm is fully bolted in.

12. Install the arm and (2) 14mm bolts. Install the ball joint into the hole in the knuckle spindle arm. Install and tighten the 19mm nut on the ball joint.

13. Install cotter pin. Tighten down all bolts. Torque down the adjuster nut to 120 ft.lbs.

And ur done! Repeat on the other side and go get ur 4WA!!!

*note : u may have to use the jack to install the UCA bolts the same way taking them out.

Last edited by SixxSpeed6; 06-25-2014 at 08:54 PM.
SixxSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SixxSpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Amnesiac (06-10-2014), Code Monkey (06-10-2014), CosmicArkie (06-10-2014), crazyp (06-09-2014), Dralphy (06-09-2014), jack_hammer (06-09-2014), Miltron (06-14-2014), phate (06-11-2014), SamiChicago (07-19-2015), SIXual Panda (09-10-2015), Snyeed (06-09-2014), SpeedRebirth (06-11-2014), thehead (06-09-2014), TiGraySpeed6 (06-10-2014), trancehead (06-11-2014)
 Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,754 Times in 2,278 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice how-to.

Even faster & easier would be to get a bj press from the local parts store loaner tool program and do it all on the car since you don't have to bother pulling the upper control arms. First side will take about an hour while you figure everything out, second side takes about 20 minutes.

Be sure to check & re-torque all the nuts & bolts a few times- you don't want that upper mount nut on the SPC getting loose!
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Amnesiac (06-10-2014), SixxSpeed6 (06-11-2014)
 Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

SixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud ofSixxSpeed6 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

i actaully have one but onli use it for lower balljoints as most of the UCA aftermarket come with new ball joints. most people are trying to save money by doing the install themselves so to rent the BJ tool would be an added exspense. but it def would save a few minutes each side.
 Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #4

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Huh? I don't believe we're talking about the same thing.

I'm referring to a ball joint press tool, which you can get for free from the local auto parts loan a tool program. By using one you can leave the upper control arm on the car, popping the old bj out easily & quickly. Then just drop the SPC in place, bolt everything back up & go get your alignment- easy peasy...

One of these things-

340hp / 371tq
 Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I kno exactly what ur talking about. I use it almost on a daily basis. I do this for a living. I have the OTC brand one.

Ive never got to loan a tool for free from a parts store b4. Theres always a fee and also a refundable deposit if you break or not return the tool.

Like i said i only use them on the lower ball joints for cars that have them pressed in the knuckle. (Not our cars) On the upper control arm its big and bulky to line up and if u dont have and impact gun to blast it out, the average joe whos not familiar with the tool might find it difficult to hold everything together while gettin leverage from a wrench or ratchet. There is a learning curve to using that bj press correctly so that ur not bending ur uca.

I totally agree with u that its the simplest approach if u know what ur doing. But if its ur first time using that tool the time tryna figure it out u would probably be done taking out the bolts already. But hey some are more mechanically inclined then others.

U probably thought i was talking about one of those u shaped wedges
 Old 06-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nope, sounded like you were describing a separator, not a fork, but it was tough to tell what you were talking about.

My goal was to simply point out an alternative approach that's significantly faster & easier than removing the entire upper control arm- a method that's been used for years on this platform with great results by people with all different skill levels.
340hp / 371tq
 Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry for the misunderstanding, but ur goal was definatly accomplished. if you dont mind im gonna edit my how to and add that to the tools list. i've looked up a few how tos and havent seen any use this approach, maybe i havent looked hard enough.
 Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can anyone clarify how the bottom flange should be installed. I had tho issue lat time as there is no mark on the cintroll arm. Should it be perpendicular to the frame mounting holes? That is what I will do.
so first pic looks like im slightly off.

Second pic looks perpendicular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1438822871024.jpg (1.07 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1438823340319.jpg (1.98 MB, 33 views)
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

SpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the worldSpeedRebirth is the leader of the world
Groans: 33
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I asked myself that question when installing these and found no real answer.
I ended up something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_18901-IMAG08371605528977.jpg (1.29 MB, 53 views)

CP-E Atmosphere Kit GTX3076 Tial 0.82AR / EWG / 3,25" MAF / Catless DP
Simons 3" Catback CP-E Diff Mount HDI FMIC HTP Battery Relocation
Corksport: Rear Brace Bar - Front Strut Bar - Stubby Antenna - Interior + Underhood LED Kit
JBR: TMM+PMM+RMM - Short Shift Kit /w Bushings - TIG Throttle - Coolant Bypass - EGR Delete - JBR OCC Stage 2
Whiteline Rear Swaybar SPC Camber Joints Turbosmart BPV Autotech Internals SURE Juggernaught Stratified Guardian Angel & Boost Dial NGK IX @ 0.025
Bosch 3 bar MAP w/ PNP Harness Block8Head Dual Gauge Pod Defi Racer Boost & Oil Pressure & Oil Temp
Techna-Fit Clutch Line + Brake Lines ATE Super Blue Racing ProSport Oil Filter Adapter Mazda Spin-On Conversion + NPT/BSPT adapter

Not installed yet: SP63 longblock, FreekTune 4" Intake, JBR TIG IM, DM Meth Spacer

290 AWHP / K04
370 AWHP / GTX3076 @ 23 psi
SpeedRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #10

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SpeedRebirth View Post
I asked myself that question when installing these and found no real answer.
I ended up something like this
Ya now that they are installed in car it looks like the mounting points are offset. I would assume I want slot perpendicular to longitudinal lime of car. Mime look like there angled in at front. Just got alignment dome and guy didnt know how to a just these. Ive got gouge marks all over PS like he was tryin to twist it from flange and BJ rather than loosten nut and slide it. Pins om BJ nut are also gone.

Your alignment looks like its about right. Im going to undo my PS and rotate slightly clockwise.

Basically looking for slot to be perpendicular to brake rotor.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB

Last edited by aviator79; 09-07-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 09-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

SIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the worldSIXual Panda is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,950 Times in 867 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yayyy old thread bump!

What is the easiest way to torque that nut to 120 ft-lbs? once it is all back together, it seems like it is pretty hard to get to with a torque wrench.. unless I’m just an idiot.
Fully built, Ported everything, GTX3582r, Port Injection, Twin disk clutch, 2-piece Driveshaft.... still slow.

The Daily Bitch: 2003 Mazda Protege5 with infinity miles on it

SIXual Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have had another SPC BJ failure. I guess I am going back to OEM.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
 Old 11-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

If ya still have the purchase paperwork then I'd call SPC and see what they will do for you. Their support is pretty good.

Id hate to see you go back to stock non-adjustable with the shitty spec that they bring with em. Maybe time for a set of upper arms?
340hp / 371tq