register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

myarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant future
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MAZDASPEED 6 PROPELLER SHAFT CV BOOT

I recently asked if anyone knew jack about the CV joint on the driveshaft, aka propeller shaft, in our Speed6’s on FB.

I have those answers and thought I would share what I have learned.
To begin, my CV boot was ripped and leaking. The joint and/or boot are not available separately; Mazda only sells the whole driveshaft. I found a post and picture once of someone who had installed a Subie boot on his, so I went that route. Beck Arnley PN#1032824. I do not know who to credit with that finding.

Looking at the joint once removed from the TC you’ll notice it is a heavy steel part with a soft thin metal at the rear. This part is the boot. The rubber boot part is actually inside; I later figured that the metal part protects it from the nearby downpipe.

The trick to removing the joint is the take a chisel and hammer, and place the chisel on the shoulder of the soft metal part. Whacking it with the hammer will drive the joint backwards, and the metal cap on the end will get popped off by the shaft. I used a chisel as opposed to hitting the flange directly with a hammer to avoid bending it.

Inside you will find a circlip that will need to be removed, and the joint will pull off. I took the joint apart and cleaned it in mineral spirits to get rid of the stickiest grease on the fucking planet. DO NOT wipe that shit on your arms; it laughs at GOJO and every other soap/hand cleaner. Keep notice of how the cage comes out; it will physically fit and seem to work with the cage frontwards or backwards, but there is only 1 “right” way. It’s very easy, just pay attention.

The OEM boot is a bitch to get off. Shown by arrows in the pics, the boot is crimped into that groove on the CV joint. I carefully used a grinder and chisel to thin the metal in two places so I could chop and peel it off.

Reassemble like you would any other CV joint and boot and you’re done. The rubber boot is close to the downpipe, so we shall see how long it lasts. My dad made a template for a heat shield to slip between the DP and CV; we will get that cut out of some thin metal and give it a go to see if it helps protect the boot long-term.

Mica Black '06 Speed6 GT #02871: E85 tune by Purple Drank - AT internals - SU RMM - CS TMM inserts - WW FMM - MF CBE - eBay DP - RamFab 4" intake - Custom FMIC - GS EBCS - TS BOV - CS stress bars - CD rotors - EBC Redstuffs - H&R Sports w/ Koni Yellows - Redline hood struts - PnP IM - MS OCC's - Full Race exhaust mani - GTX2867r - CP-e rear diff mount - SURE Juggernaught - Diff caps - DSS axles - EVO 8 Brembos
myarbro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to myarbro1 For This Useful Post:
Amnesiac (08-18-2014), aviator79 (12-15-2015), cam1391 (04-18-2015), Code Monkey (08-19-2014), Downmented (08-20-2014), f15ms6 (04-30-2016), friedricebob (08-20-2014), Funkster777 (07-31-2016), Hargarbl (08-20-2014), KiwiFlavor (03-28-2016), Mazdazilla6 (08-20-2014), meelo88 (08-18-2014), Micha (05-27-2015), phate (08-19-2014), Rich990 (03-23-2015), rob ms6gt (12-05-2015), siegsuwa (06-12-2015), TiGraySpeed6 (08-19-2014), Tomas (12-16-2015), Vansquish (08-19-2014)
 Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,746 Times in 2,277 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nifty
I've never seen a 6 that hadn't sprayed grease out of that joint... I'll have to take a good look the next time I'm down there and see if it's time for a rebuild
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #3

Hargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the world
Groans: 51
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wanna do mine next lol?
Cobb AP v3 \\ Turbosmart Dual Port \\ Mazda Spin-On Conversion \\ Autotech HPFP \\ CP-E RDM \\ Turbine Tech FDM \\ CX Racing IC Piping \\ Treadstone TR8 Core \\ M2 Downpipe \\ JBR Power Path stage 2 \\ Denso ITV22 \\ JBR 80a Trilogy \\ JBR OCC \\ JBR TIGs \\ JBR EGR Delete \\ Corksport Springs
Hargarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #4

Downmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the worldDownmented is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,970 Posts
Groans: 493
Groaned at 92 Times in 63 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i dont think my driveshaft has ever had that boot on it. Also, out of curiousity, how much grease did you pack into the new boot?

700HP CLUB
Former World Record Mazdaspeed 60' 1.603
11.479@124mph

10second car with an 11second driver
#DIX

-Builds 700hp MS6, buys miata, sells said MS6!

Last edited by Downmented; 08-20-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #5

myarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant futuremyarbro1 has a brilliant future
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would be willing to bet the boot is there @Downmented, it just doesn't look like a regular CV boot that we are accustomed to. The light grey metal at end of the flanged joint is the boot. Its metal on the outside and the rubber "boot" is inside. Presumably the metal outside protects it from the extreme heat radiating from the downpipe.

Mine is devastated looking because I used a BFH to try and remove it. I was expecting a snap ring instead of a circlip, so the BFH is not at all the right tool for the job.
As far as how much grease, I used the whole container that came with the new boot.
Mica Black '06 Speed6 GT #02871: E85 tune by Purple Drank - AT internals - SU RMM - CS TMM inserts - WW FMM - MF CBE - eBay DP - RamFab 4" intake - Custom FMIC - GS EBCS - TS BOV - CS stress bars - CD rotors - EBC Redstuffs - H&R Sports w/ Koni Yellows - Redline hood struts - PnP IM - MS OCC's - Full Race exhaust mani - GTX2867r - CP-e rear diff mount - SURE Juggernaught - Diff caps - DSS axles - EVO 8 Brembos

Last edited by myarbro1; 08-20-2014 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to myarbro1 For This Useful Post:
Downmented (08-21-2014)
 Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,831 Posts
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was hoping you would post this on MSF. Thanks again!

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

you don't live far away at all @Hargarbl; surprised I've never seen you around. I am only aware of one other black and 2 red MS6's around here. Never seen a Ti Grey one!
 Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

'cause we're stealthy...
340hp / 371tq
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Hargarbl (08-20-2014)
 Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

Hargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the worldHargarbl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by myarbro1 View Post
you don't live far away at all @Hargarbl; surprised I've never seen you around. I am only aware of one other black and 2 red MS6's around here. Never seen a Ti Grey one!
I live at 60 and mt carmel. I have only ever seen 2 other ms6's since Ive had mine, another ti grey, and once every couple of weeks or so on my way to work I see a lowered red one on county line rd. Im ti grey, stock height with black dipped stock wheels.
Cobb AP v3 \\ Turbosmart Dual Port \\ Mazda Spin-On Conversion \\ Autotech HPFP \\ CP-E RDM \\ Turbine Tech FDM \\ CX Racing IC Piping \\ Treadstone TR8 Core \\ M2 Downpipe \\ JBR Power Path stage 2 \\ Denso ITV22 \\ JBR 80a Trilogy \\ JBR OCC \\ JBR TIGs \\ JBR EGR Delete \\ Corksport Springs
 Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Hargarbl View Post
I live at 60 and mt carmel. I have only ever seen 2 other ms6's since Ive had mine, another ti grey, and once every couple of weeks or so on my way to work I see a lowered red one on county line rd. Im ti grey, stock height with black dipped stock wheels.
Two TiGreys here, WTF? How have I missed you both?
I live in Providence Lakes; off Providence between Lumsden and Bloomingdale. If the red one you see has a lip, it likely belongs to a member of TBMC (tampa bay mazda club) His car is clean. Another red one runs down Boyette Rd. all the time, and his only visible mod is a sharkfin antenna. Actually, both red one's have a sharkfin I do believe.
 Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm tellin' ya- stealthy...
340hp / 371tq
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
myarbro1 (08-20-2014)
 Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

sneaky bastids!
TiGraySpeed6 (08-20-2014)
 Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

lol well according to Tigrays location he is in tally so i doubt you will see him around here. Although Im kinda surprised with 4 other known ms6's around here i havnt seen another one at all.
 Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

friedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond reputefriedricebob has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is great, thanks for the write up.

Replaced my driveshaft with a boneyard unit once already.
myarbro1 (08-21-2014)
 Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #15

meelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just did this to mine, I'll drive it around for a bit and report back

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 2007 MazdaSPEED 6 Titanium Grey

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER
SpeedPerformanc3 Wiseco Pistons (88mm)::Manley Forged H-Beams::BNR S3::Bosch 3Bar Map Sensor::CP-E Ex Mani::SBC Stg 2 Clutch::JBR RMM 80a::JBR STG II SRI::JBR Boost Tubes::JBR BPV Return::JBR SSP::CS TMIC::CS DP::Stratified 3 Port EBCS::Stratified Guardian Angel::TurboXS RP::Custom 3" Catback Exhaust::KMD 2.1::Flex Innovations Ground Kit::Turbosmart BPV::MD OCC::TWM Stage 1::BC Coilovers::Hawks HPS::EGR Delete::SURE Dreadnaught::SURE Juggernaut::SURE TIG

COSMETIC AND AUDIO
Mori H1 Proj Retrofit::DDM 3k HID Fogs::RPM Rear LED Reflectors::RPM Side LED Reflectors::Morel Elate 6 2W 6.5" Components::Morel Maximo 5C 5.25" Coaxial::Arc Audio KS300.4::Arc Audio KS1000.1::Audison BitOne.1::Zapco ST4
meelo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meelo88 For This Useful Post:
myarbro1 (08-29-2014), TiGraySpeed6 (08-29-2014)
 Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So far so good with mine; looks perfect a few hundred miles later. Time will tell how the heat affects it. Your install go smooth @meelo88?
TiGraySpeed6 (08-29-2014)
 Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #17

meelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the worldmeelo88 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by myarbro1 View Post
So far so good with mine; looks perfect a few hundred miles later. Time will tell how the heat affects it. Your install go smooth @meelo88?
Yup I had a bit of fun going through the grease to get all the parts out but once i figured out how they come apart it was much easier.

Your instructions are good. I think the boot is a bitch...i used a Dremel to shave off the boot with a chisel and locking pliers to peel off the back strip.

I kinda tugged on the whole boot to get it off after I got the c-clip off. Not sure that was the best way to do it but it worked...

Cleaned the crap out of everything with mineral spirits (BTW that stuff is awesome!!!)

My only real snag was after getting everything packed in grease again I had to use a punch to tap the center piece back onto the shaft so i can get the clip back on without getting grease everywhere (I failed...got grease everywhere).

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER
SpeedPerformanc3 Wiseco Pistons (88mm)::Manley Forged H-Beams::BNR S3::Bosch 3Bar Map Sensor::CP-E Ex Mani::SBC Stg 2 Clutch::JBR RMM 80a::JBR STG II SRI::JBR Boost Tubes::JBR BPV Return::JBR SSP::CS TMIC::CS DP::Stratified 3 Port EBCS::Stratified Guardian Angel::TurboXS RP::Custom 3" Catback Exhaust::KMD 2.1::Flex Innovations Ground Kit::Turbosmart BPV::MD OCC::TWM Stage 1::BC Coilovers::Hawks HPS::EGR Delete::SURE Dreadnaught::SURE Juggernaut::SURE TIG

COSMETIC AND AUDIO
Mori H1 Proj Retrofit::DDM 3k HID Fogs::RPM Rear LED Reflectors::RPM Side LED Reflectors::Morel Elate 6 2W 6.5" Components::Morel Maximo 5C 5.25" Coaxial::Arc Audio KS300.4::Arc Audio KS1000.1::Audison BitOne.1::Zapco ST4
The Following User Says Thank You to meelo88 For This Useful Post:
myarbro1 (08-30-2014)
 Old 11-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

**UPDATE**

Well, I got a P0037 CEL last night. What the hell does a rear O2 sensor CEL have to do with a drive shaft boot? More than one would think...

First things first, I check the plug for the O2 sensor...hey, only the plug on the main harness is present. Hmmmmm. Well would you look at that, the entire wire running to the rear O2 sensor is straight GONE.
I then noticed the boot on the drive shaft CV was pretty much gone too.

My assessment is this: I initially thought heat was an issue, but for me it was probably installer error on the big clamp.
The big boot clamp came off, I ignored it for a few days, the boot ripped off during a run to Mexico. The boot ripped, splayed open and grabbed the O2 wire and wrapped it around the drive shaft, which promptly removed the wire from the car. I am thankful it left the plug on the main harness!

Get the right tool to fasten the boot clamps!!!!

Carp. Time to try again.

Last edited by myarbro1; 03-23-2015 at 07:44 AM.
 Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn I was afraid that might have been an issue, but deep down was hoping the boot could handle the heat. Thanks for the update though.
 Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine has survived so far, about 1k miles on it, maybe my DP Is ceramic coated to keep it a bit cooler? I'll check mine again to see...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416276530.584535.jpg

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER

COSMETIC AND AUDIO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meelo88 For This Useful Post:
Funkster777 (07-31-2016), Micha (05-27-2015)
 Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Hargarbl View Post
Damn I was afraid that might have been an issue, but deep down was hoping the boot could handle the heat. Thanks for the update though.
You and me both.
 Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by meelo88 View Post
Mine has survived so far, about 1k miles on it, maybe my DP Is ceramic coated to keep it a bit cooler? I'll check mine again to see...

Attachment 182317
Yours still looks perfect. Got my fingers crossed for ya!
 Old 01-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #23

DocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the world
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My wallet thanks you @myarbro1; !
06 Speedsex - built engine - JBR Stage 2 intake - Unicorn 2013 K04 - Stratified OTS stage 2 - Autotech internals - Cx FMIC - JBR RMM - Forge V2 - VTCS delete - EGR delete - BSD - JBR OCC - JBR TIGs + coolant bypass
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocBrown For This Useful Post:
myarbro1 (01-10-2015)
 Old 01-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #24

DocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the worldDocBrown is the leader of the world
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

By the way, do you guys think the drive shaft needs to be re-balanc3d after installing the new boot or is it good to go? Anyone have problems with balance?
06 Speedsex - built engine - JBR Stage 2 intake - Unicorn 2013 K04 - Stratified OTS stage 2 - Autotech internals - Cx FMIC - JBR RMM - Forge V2 - VTCS delete - EGR delete - BSD - JBR OCC - JBR TIGs + coolant bypass
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldn't think a boot would affect the balance at all. I noticed no vibes personally.
DocBrown (01-12-2015)
 Old 03-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #26

Rich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the worldRich990 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

For the guys that have done this - how's the boot holding out?
Go... BNR S3v2 / COBB APv3 / Snow Performance WMI + DO7 / nator'd DP / test pipe / HTP 3" SRI & TIP / 3 bar MAP / Autotech HPFP / NGK LTR7 / Stratified 3 port / Custom 3" TMIC / EGR delete / CP-E RMM / Turbine Tech FDM / CP-E RDM / Whiteline RSB / H&R springs / Powerbrake GT rotors / Endless MX72 Brakepads
Parts stockpile... Wiseco 88mm's / Manley H beams
Turbo stockpile... Borg Warner S200SX 7670 / GTX3071 / K04

Ex: 2007 Black Mica MS3 - stage 2 mods - 280 whp, 306 tq (321 whp / 358 tq before "stockout", on BNR S2 + meth)

Ex: 2010 Velocity Red MS3 - Stage 1 mods + Meth... 260 whp, 306 tq, stock exhaust

5500 ft altitude FTL
MSF in South Africa
Rich990 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

I haven't had my O2 sensor taken out yet so i have reason to believe the boot is still there...

I haven't actually been under the car lately to see the condition of the boot however...

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER

COSMETIC AND AUDIO

Last edited by meelo88; 03-23-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling...
 Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

you might be able to see it by looking over the rear of the engine and down. I was able to stick my arm down there and tear of the remnants of my most recent boot.
 Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #29

xliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I did this a few hundred kms ago, it's held on so far at triple digit speeds no worries. I used a slightly different boot with the same clamps our oem boots use for the axles (not ss cable ties)
xliquidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xliquidx For This Useful Post:
myarbro1 (04-15-2015)
 Old 04-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #30

xliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the worldxliquidx is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

UPDATE: MY BOOT HAS TORN FINALLY AND RIPPED OUT MY SECONDARY O2 SENSOR. Same thing that happened to another guy when using the same boot and clamp (not the one posted here). I even did it up with the correct tool.
xliquidx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn it man!!!
 Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #32

siegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am about to attempt this. I have an extra shaft with a torn boot I'm going to rebuild, then rebuild the shaft I'm removing the same way and keep it as a spare for NATOR. How did your boots fail? Do we think heat is the primary factor or is the boot material the wrong application?

Anyone try to recycle the heat-shield / cowl for the boot, or make their own?
siegsuwa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to siegsuwa For This Useful Post:
Micha (05-27-2015)
 Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MAZDASPEED 6 PROPELLER SHAFT CV BOOT

I just had some work done on my exhaust and I took some pics to check on it, looks solid still, I have a CS downpipe ceramic coated so maybe my heat is low enough not to cause an issue? I have some pics attached...

Installed about 5,400 miles ago a 8/24/14...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432234934.060994.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432234953.222252.jpg

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER

COSMETIC AND AUDIO
siegsuwa (05-22-2015)
 Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #34

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,687 Times in 975 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just had some work done on my exhaust and I took some pics to check on it, looks solid still, I have a CS downpipe ceramic coated so maybe my heat is low enough not to cause an issue? I have some pics attached...

Where is your rust? Did you not get that option?
xfeejayx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xfeejayx For This Useful Post:
Micha (05-27-2015)
 Old 05-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
Where is your rust? Did you not get that option?
got the California option....no rust, deal with cops...

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER

COSMETIC AND AUDIO
Micha (05-27-2015)
 Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ceramic Coating FTW it seems. Glad someone's held up!
 Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #37

siegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the worldsiegsuwa is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for posting up, dude. I pulled feejay's drive shaft out of his wrecked MS6 this week to replace my shaft with a torn boot, and I am pretty sure I tore the boot (or exacerbated an existing tear) in the process of getting the shaft out, so now I get to rebuild both!

Your boot looks really solid at 5k miles.

EDIT - so now that the boot interior volume is much larger than it originally was, did you just fill it up with CV grease?

Last edited by siegsuwa; 05-22-2015 at 11:53 AM.
siegsuwa is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think we all used the entire container of grease that comes with the boot siegsuwa.
 Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

I just loaded up the boot with the grease it came with... I suppose I could have put more in but I figured it was probably okay...

TUNED BY NISHAN

POWER

COSMETIC AND AUDIO
 Old 05-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #40

rndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud ofrndmheroxx has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Speaking of shafts.......

Any of you fellas happen to have an extra prop shaft laying around? My carrier bearing(s) have bit the dust and im on the hunt for a replacement
Kyb/FM suspension
FM sway bars
949 racing adjustable endlinks
Torsen swap

-2007 MAZDASPEED6 GT Ti Gray 55k miles #10026
Cobb AP V3, Cobb SRI/TIP, SU TMIC, AWR RMM , Magnaflow CBE , Forge BPV , TWM Shifter , Denso ITV22, Jugg/Dread
rndmheroxx is offline   Reply With Quote