register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pete

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Matx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Rear wheel bearings.

ok posted pics I took (First write up so it may suck lol. steps may be confusing also)

REAR WHEEL HUB AND BEARINGS

GET YOUR PARTS BEFORE YOUR START AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE RIGHT!!!!!

First off things you will need:

you will have to take off the whole Knuckel
A Press to get the bearing and hub in and out.
Jacks/ Jackstands
3/8 32mm SOCKET
17mm socket
14mm socket
Hammer
screwdriver
another car to go to the Brakeshop

1 TAKE OFF YOUR WHEEL
1.5 take out 32mm Nut on center of hub with e-brake on!

2 REMOVE BRAKE/CAILAPERS

3 REMOVE SPEED SENSOR, I used pliers and turned the bracket DONT pull on the wire. make sure to unbolt bracket.

4 TAKE OFF ROTOR (two screws then hit it with a mallet or somthing)

5 UNBOLT STRUT LOWER BOLT (use a small jack to get the tension off the bolt)

6 UNBOLT UPPER ARM
** MAKE SURE YOU DONT MIX UP BOLTS AND NUTS THEY ARE NOT THE SAME**

7 UNBOLT THE LOWER SPRING TOWER (small jack here also) (SRY NO PIC)

8 UNBOLT THE FOUR BOLTS HOLDING IT ON

ONCE YOU HAVE THE WHOLE KNUCKEL OFF YOU HAVE TO BRING IT TO A BRAKE SHOP (CALL AND SEE IF THEY WILL DO IT FIRST) MOST CHARGE 50-60 BUCKS TO PRESS OUT THE OLD ONES AND PUT NEW ONES IN.

PUTTING BACK IN THE KNUCKEL Line up the Four bolts on the front side & the spring arm first, get someone to help makes it alot easier to do.

I linked my pics from 247 so If you login over there you can see the pics.
14 Wrangler

Originally Posted by backward_0 View Post
.... I will be more than happy to fuck your world off....

Last edited by Matx; 02-06-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Matx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matx For This Useful Post:
jroc (01-13-2012)
 Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

Ashy Larry is just really niceAshy Larry is just really niceAshy Larry is just really niceAshy Larry is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Matx View Post

ONCE YOU HAVE THE WHOLE KNUCKEL OFF YOU HAVE TO BRING IT TO A BRAKE SHOP (CALL AND SEE IF THEY WILL DO IT FIRST) MOST CHARGE 50-60 BUCKS TO PRESS OUT THE OLD ONES AND PUT NEW ONES IN.....

Thanks for this post Mat. I've been referencing it and other similar write-ups throughout the day. I'm doing the same - rear wheel bearings in a 2006 MS6, 109,000 miles. I've run into a snag though, hence my post.

I need a little more info/help fellas, please.

I had everything disconnected from the rear knuckle (axle nut off too), but:
  • The axle will not budge from the hub - I tried a dead blow hammer, no dice.
  • Therefore I cannot remove the knuckle from the area
  • Which prevents me from being able to press the old bearings out and the new ones in
  • I put the rear end back together already without finishing the job since I need the car in the morning

I downloaded the MS6 workshop manual (from Crew6, I think?), and it doesn't say anything about sliding the axle/splines from the hub. I have a press, dies/drivers/plates, puller/bearing separator(s), air tools - Did I miss something?

Anything y'all got would be much appreciated

Here's a picture from page 1760/3238 (03-13-30) in the MS6 workshop manual for reference:

Here's a picture from page 1725/3238 (3-12-5) in the MS6 workshop manual for reference:

I'm not seeing what's preventing the axle from being withdrawn the hub. Bigger hammer, perhaps?

Last edited by Ashy Larry; 02-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Ashy Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

Ashy Larry is just really niceAshy Larry is just really niceAshy Larry is just really niceAshy Larry is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Out of curiosity, I subscribed to this thread, and within a little while of my post I received a forwarded email - another member's response to the thread. Though once I logged back in to view the member's post, there was nothing here. I don't mean to intrude and don't want to jeopardize my membership, but what happened?

I saved the forwarded email (which contained a link to another thread, which I cannot view for some reason). Since it seems that the post was deleted, would it be frowned upon if I posted the content of the email/deleted post and it's link?

I've attempted sending a PM to the author of the post, but that "right" has not yet been granted to me since my post count is under 15.

Administrators, can one of you set me straight on this? I just want to get my car fixed up (and help any others in the process). I'd really be grateful

If I need to become a "paid subscriber" I will happily do so

Thanks,
Pete/Ashy Larry
 Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

fooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pete, no idea how to get the knuckle off, as I've never done wheel bearings. I don't even have a MS6, LOL. Out of curiosity, though, besides the mileage alone what made you decide to replace your wheel bearings? Were they making a sound?

08 MS3 GT (SSM). JBR WP intake, CS boost tubes, Forge v2 BPV, JBR TB/IM TIG, JBR TB coolant bypass, JBR EGR block-off, 3-bar MAP, PTP pill, bnoon bolt, SM OCC (MD kit) w/ Kat's heater, UR DP (ceramic cat), UR resonated TP/CBE, JBR SSP, SU shift bushings, JBR trilogy mounts (CRMO 88 RMM, 70 PMM/TMM), Koni yellows, JBR RSB, 2nd Fiamm, Stoptech SS lines, Hawk HPS, spin-on CX-9 oil filter, Fumoto valve, PP 5W-30, XT-M5-QS, tints, clear bra, Continental DWS, ITV22, DashHawk, AP, AT internals

There are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people and some of them ask questions.
- A. Funicello
fooqr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

that axle is stuck to the hub. sometimes it takes a air hammer to push it in. or sometimes two people and a mini sledge. just hope its not siezed too bad.
 Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #6

Matx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
Thanks for this post Mat. I've been referencing it and other similar write-ups throughout the day. I'm doing the same - rear wheel bearings in a 2006 MS6, 109,000 miles. I've run into a snag though, hence my post.

I need a little more info/help fellas, please.

I had everything disconnected from the rear knuckle (axle nut off too), but:
  • The axle will not budge from the hub - I tried a dead blow hammer, no dice.
  • Therefore I cannot remove the knuckle from the area
  • Which prevents me from being able to press the old bearings out and the new ones in
  • I put the rear end back together already without finishing the job since I need the car in the morning

I downloaded the MS6 workshop manual (from Crew6, I think?), and it doesn't say anything about sliding the axle/splines from the hub. I have a press, dies/drivers/plates, puller/bearing separator(s), air tools - Did I miss something?

Anything y'all got would be much appreciated

Here's a picture from page 1760/3238 (03-13-30) in the MS6 workshop manual for reference:

Here's a picture from page 1725/3238 (3-12-5) in the MS6 workshop manual for reference:

I'm not seeing what's preventing the axle from being withdrawn the hub. Bigger hammer, perhaps?

I used a tool like this, I forgot to throw that in there. OEM/FWD Hub Puller (27037) | Axle Flange Puller | AutoZone.com

And make sure you have the right hub/bearing I got mine from napa.
14 Wrangler

Originally Posted by backward_0 View Post
.... I will be more than happy to fuck your world off....
Matx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

The job is complete, and I'd like to thank places like these for hosting information us do-it-yourselfers need to accomplish tasks

You may need to use some type of puller to free the axle from the hub, I used one of these (a 6" inch puller is the right size for the MS6 hub, you can find them just about anywhere, around $5-10) - make sure you leave the knuckle's attaching bolts in for this part until the axle is free. Note the antiseize on the threads of the puller and in the dimple in the axle end - do this, it'll make it a lot easier to turn with your socket. When reassembling, use plenty of antiseize on all mounting faces. Not sure if it is common, but my left rear axle was seized in the hub much worse than the right rear - then again, my left rear bearing was far worse also.

Then disconnect the knuckle from all it's attachments, press the hub out of the bearing from the back side, REMOVE C-Clip!! Then press bearing out of the knuckle, press new bearing back in, install C-clip, press hub into bearing, then reinstall knuckle onto vehicle.

A hint on the bearings - Timken's MS6 rear bearings are actually Koyo's (I install Koyo's everywhere bearings are used in all of my bikes have and they've been very good - I will update this thread every few thousand miles to let y'all know how they hold up).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashy Larry For This Useful Post:
daztdMS6 (02-15-2012), fooqr (02-08-2012), jracer (02-15-2012), Matx (02-14-2012)
 Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #8

jracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,917 Times in 657 Posts
Groans: 89
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Keep us posted on how the bearings are doing .
Where did you get them ? How much where they ?
Part numbers ? I need to do my front and rears .
MAP modified 3" Magna Flow cat back
MAP catless testpipe
MAP UICP
Grimmspeed 3 port
Cosworth filter
SSP relay kit
TWM Desert Eagle shift knob
AEM wideband gauge
Prosport boost gauge
EvoX piller pod
30%Tint
Slowpoke Tuned 339hp/336tq

**** SOLD *****
2006 speed6

" A woman's asshole is like a 9-volt battery..U know its wrong, but sooner or later ur gonna put ur tongue on it !! "
jracer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jracer View Post
Keep us posted on how the bearings are doing .
Where did you get them ? How much where they ?
Part numbers ? I need to do my front and rears .

Hey John, I got your PM. Sorry, but I can't reply to PM's since my post count is so low. I already posted the link as to where I got them (prices listed in link), but I'll just re-post it below since it's pertinent. I've rolled just over 1,100 miles on the bearings - so far, so good, nice, quiet, smooth. I got them through Wheel Bearing Warehouse (<-- link), Item # TIM 510010 (List: $100.87) (Unit Price: $30.26) (Total Price shipped: $60.52 for both). Fronts, you will need to look up. I replaced mine...at the dealership - never again will I pay for anyone to service my vehicle.

It seems failure around 100,000 miles on these cars is common - namely wheel bearings and brakes. It's been necessary on my 06 to do it all and I just passed 110K - just a heads up to those approaching that mileage (offset wheels might influence that at an earlier mileage).

Sidenote:
As long as y'all have your cars up in the air, I'd also recommend switching out the rear differential, transfer-case, and tranny lube (if you haven't done it yet). Make sure you have BOTH 23 and 24 MM sockets and box-wrenches - you will need them.

Timken's MS6 rear bearings are actually Koyo's (I install Koyo's everywhere bearings are used in all of my bikes have and they've been very good - I will update this thread every few thousand miles to let y'all know how they hold up).

(by the way, I just called Wheel Bearing Warehouse - their site is down currently for updates, so "check back in an hour or two")
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashy Larry For This Useful Post:
JMEngineer (07-04-2012), jracer (02-15-2012)
 Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #10

jracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the worldjracer is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,917 Times in 657 Posts
Groans: 89
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks for the info..
i looked at there web site but it says parts unavailable..
MAP modified 3" Magna Flow cat back
MAP catless testpipe
MAP UICP
Grimmspeed 3 port
Cosworth filter
SSP relay kit
TWM Desert Eagle shift knob
AEM wideband gauge
Prosport boost gauge
EvoX piller pod
30%Tint
Slowpoke Tuned 339hp/336tq

**** SOLD *****
2006 speed6

" A woman's asshole is like a 9-volt battery..U know its wrong, but sooner or later ur gonna put ur tongue on it !! "
jracer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yep John, I called them and they told me what I mentioned in red in my previous post

(by the way, I just called Wheel Bearing Warehouse - their site is down currently for updates, so "check back in an hour or two")
 Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #12

Domino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,904 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 73 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@dubunderpar - If this happens to be the issue, this is a nice illustrated guide.

Anthony D. Christiano - Co-Owner at Inspiration Studios Photography
2008 CosmicBlue Mazdaspeed3
294whp/335wtq - Stock K04
370whp/370wtq - BNR stage 3

FreekTuned, BNR Stage 3, Cobb AccessPort, HTP tray and 3" intake, Devil's Own Meth Injection D10 Nozzle, 3-Bar Map & Plug & Play Connector, PTP Injector Seals & Studs, KritzSpeed 3-Port BCS, Sure Return, UR Downpipe, CorkSport Race Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-back, CP-E FMIC, TWM STS, TWM A6 Leopard Shift Knob, TWM Leather Shift Boot, AutoTech Fuel Pump Internals, JBR trinity, Forge Version 2 BPV, Koni Yellows, H&R's, Sonic Tuning ST100's 18x8.5 + 5/16" spacer (ET40), SPC camber arms, Cobb Rear Sway Bar, Nitto NT05 235/40/18 (front) BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 235/40/18 (rear), MSD DashHawk, 35% tint, Semi-debadged ...Unicorn Jizz
Domino81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

dubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the worlddubunderpar is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like I will be doing this tomorrow.
 Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

A hint on the bearings - Timken's MS6 rear bearings are actually Koyo's (I install Koyo's everywhere bearings are used in all of my bikes have and they've been very good - I will update this thread every few thousand miles to let y'all know how they hold up).

Total sidenote, but the "zoom in picture" on Wheel Bearing Warehouse's site shows the bearing as having a "Canada" inscription on it. Note that it is a "representative image", as listed on the picture. Canadian made is not the case with the MS6 Timken rear bearings. Correct me if I'm wrong, though I doubt I am

11,000 miles and the Timken / Koyo wheel/axle bearings in the rear of the Speed6 are doing good, so far.

Here's to another 10K+

Old 06-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #15

igve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant futureigve2shtz has a brilliant future
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just did this this week using this thread, and the factory service manual. I only drove it around the block, but so far, everything appears to work just right. On the plus side, I didn't have any extra parts so I must have done something right.

Thanks for the information guys!

SP63 built motor - SP63 9.5:1 Pistons - Manley Rods - JBR TRU-3" intake - BNR S3 - ETS 3.25" TMIC - Cobb XLE BPV - SP63 IM Port n' Polish - JBR TB TIG - JBR IM TIG - 3 Bar PnP (RPM) MAP - Autotech HPFP Internals - cp-e SafeSeals - NGK Plugs - Streetlite Flywheel - ACT 6 Puck Clutch - GrimmSpeed EBC - BSD - cp-e Catted Downpipe - Magnaflow CBE - cp-e RDM - cp-e Motor Mount - BC Coilovers - 215/45/18 Kuhmo 4x All-Season - Cobb Accessport V2- Prosport Premium Boost Gauge - Vent Pod - Dashhawk - Audiolink iPod Adapter
igve2shtz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #16

tbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the worldtbcota25 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is there a torque spec for putting the back on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mods

CS catless DP, CS RP
Magnaflow CBE
Autotech HPFP
NGK Plugs
CS RMM
JBR PMM
CS Short Shit Kit and Shifter Bushings
Cobb SRI and TIP
CS TMIC
SU Boost Tubes
JBR Reticulation Tube
Cobb AP v2
H&R springs
JBR Rear Sway Bar
Self Built 3 Port EBCS
maisonvi Shift Knob
Tuned on 93 and corn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tbcota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #17

midrange will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I did my rear bearings about 4 months ago and installed Timken bearings. Absolutely no issues so far. They were highly recommended.
midrange is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #18

memin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the world
Groans: 25
Groaned at 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hey midrange; I am getting ready to replace my rear wheel bearings, any xtra info on the job.This is my first time swapping rear bearings.thx
 Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #19

Pete has a spectacular aura aboutPete has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little update for anyone who's curious about the longevity of the Japanese Koyo's/Timkens - just rolled over 70k on the Timkens/Koyos in our 06. I bet they'll last just as long as the factory ones did (100k).

Pick them up on Amazon, like $33/bearing and free shipping.

For the life of me I can't get logged in, but I'm Ashy Larry/Pete.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:
SJP0tato (02-11-2015)
 Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #20

2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world2.3speed06 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So how fucked am I if the speed sensor broke? I tried taking it out like stated above after taking the bolt off and the sensor snapped.
Cobb AP 50/50 FREEKTune/Cobb 3port EBCS/C-PE Nano Intake/C-PE TIP/C-PE TMIC/HKS SQ3 BOV/Auto Tech HPFP/M2 DP/Custom CB/Denso ITV 22's/JBR RMM/Sure SSP/Sure Shifter Bushings/Custom EGR Kit/TB&IM TIG/MD Stage2 OCC/Koni Yellow S&S/H&R LS/Stoptech Blanks/EBC Red/Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines/
2.3speed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not bad at all. Personally, I'd get a used one off a junk car on eBay, by here's a glimpse of what they cost new.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,1912

Take old one out, put in replacement. Worse thing, til the new is in you won't have ABS
 Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #22

rusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Need a little clarification.
So even if your doing a hub replacement they are just press fit.
rusharp is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Hub

I'm guessing if your "hub" is in need of replacement, as you say, you're going to need to replace the bearing(s) as well. The MS6 is NOT like the regular 6's in regards to bearings/hubs. Parts DO NOT interchange. The 6's have a bolt on style hub/bearing assembly and the knuckle stays ON the car. With the MS6 the knuckle must come off the car AND every component (hub/bearing/knuckle) must be pressed apart/together. Obviously the knuckle gets unbolted from car (no pressing it on or off the car).

I don't really see how just your hub is bad though. I'd guess your hub is fine and the bearing/races are all chewed up. The hubs are almost always fine on these though. Unless you messed up your hub up beating on it or jacked up your studs somehow. But in that case, just replace the studs. See above for more details/pictures, but you basically take the rotor/caliper/carrier & wheel speed sensor off, then have to take the entire knuckle off that corner of the car, press hub out of the bearing/knuckle, snap the cir-clip out NOW, then press the bearing out of the knuckle. The hub is the first thing you press out of the assembly and the last thing you press back in. YouTube has some pretty good videos on pressing bearings in/out of knuckles and cutting races off hubs (almost a certainty you'll have to cut/notch the outer race and smack it with a chisel to free it from the hub). Doesn't matter if the video is on a different vehicle, the concept is the same w/pressing bearings on the MS6.

Did I answer your question?
rusharp likes this.
rusharp (02-18-2016)
 Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #24

rusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to beholdrusharp is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh...now I see said the blindman....no point buying the hub because they too are press fit...so now I understand...I was thinking they were like the front where you can unbolt the whole thing and just replace. Oh well...just another saga on my rebuild.

Last edited by rusharp; 02-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
rusharp is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, exactly. See in the pic below (top left zoomed in pic) - part number 15 is your hub. You do NOT need to order one of these, yours will be perfectly fine once you cut & smack the race off of it. Part 17 (bearing) is all you need to have on hand. That is unless you manage to mangle up your wheel speed sensor like some folks have accidentally done.
When reassembling, make sure you clean up your axle splines real good and be generous with anti-seize as well. One other thing on disassembly - You'll most likely need a puller to get your axle to budge loose from the hub splines like I did. Well, maybe not since you probably don't have much salt on your winter roads. I'd still make sure I had one laying around just in case though.

Originally Posted by Pete View Post

rusharp (02-21-2016)
 Old 10-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #26

slowspeed6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm in the middle of this right now and i was wondering if there is a trick to getting the speed sensor out. I snapped the head off of the bolt holding it on and figured it would be easier to drill out with the knuckle off but I can't get the sensor to move at all. I've been soaking it with pb blaster for the past week. Any help is appreciated
slowspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #27

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can you keep it and just disconnect the wire somewhere ? Good chances you will break it if you pry the head...On the cx7 front, i turned the round part with visegrip. I did success but i was afraid to get a CEL after but it wasn't damaged...

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #28

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

On the rear, the sensor harness plug is behind the rear seat corner bolsters. Should be able to unplug and pull the harness out through a hole in the wheel well.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #29

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
On the rear, the sensor harness plug is behind the rear seat corner bolsters. Should be able to unplug and pull the harness out through a hole in the wheel well.
Would be the best option on a 10+ years old car. Especially if you can remove the bearing without removing the sensor...I will check this also because i have the passenger rear side to replace soon on my 6....
And if it is that much seized, you may not bother with the broken bolt...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
 Old 10-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
I was able to see where the harness comes in to the car by lifting up back seat but couldn't find the plug at all. I also came through the trunk but it was the same thing, I could see where the harness comes in but not where it is connected. Any tips?
 Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #31

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you remove the back corner bolster pieces?
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 10-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

I did not. Is it bolted on? I'm at work right now and not able to look. I really appreciate your help, nothing on this car has been easy to work on.
 Old 10-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Copy pasted from something I googled...

"...go inside and remove the side seat cushions. Remove the bolt at the bottom (14mm socket) and DO NOT PRY on it. You need to look behind the cushion at the top and see a black triangle. Push it aside and the side cushion is released. Now look down below where the bolt was, right next to the plastic trim you will see a small white plug, this is the ABS wheel speed sensor harness. Unplug it and feed it outside the car."
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Jeff23spl (11-19-2018)
 Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

did mine last week-end and that text above was very usefull. The black triangle need the seat to be fold down to be seen...

Another important side note, All long bolt nuts are m12x1.25 has mazda usual but the nuts for the trailing arm (knuckle studs) are M12x1.5!!!!!
They all look the same but if you try to use 1.5 rusted nut on 1.25 bolts and you use an impact to ''break loose the rust'', it may take a little longer to finish the job

Wife drive 2010 CX7

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/rear-wheel-bearings-102195/
Posted By For Type Date
Got my speed now ! - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 10-21-2012 06:06 PM