register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

Notices

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kwsmithphoto

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

kwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 41 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Another strut bearing blown

At 13K I;ve managed to bust 2 of the strut bearings. It's not a warranty issue with me since I have Koni struts and a dented fender on the same side. Not even going to try and claim it.

But why would they make such a critical part out of plastic composite filled with steel bearings?

Ya, I'm just whining, but for those of you who are planning to pull your struts and break them apart for any reason, I would seriously consider just adding new upper strut bearings (Mazda calls them bushings) while you have it apart. They're only about $30/each. Me, I gotta go buy the part then pay a local shop at least $100 to put them in. Kind of a pisser.
super likes this.
This car has never been raced, modified, or abused in any way. Maintained as required, only wear items have been replaced with OEM or better parts, in compliance with all warranty terms, and federal and state laws.

kwsmithphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

felt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,088 Times in 512 Posts
Groans: 1,364
Groaned at 589 Times in 386 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How did you manage this? Got pictures?
felt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
I have candy in my van

MATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the worldMATT DAMOND is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,985 Times in 1,110 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wonder if you can fit MS6 bearings, they are all metal. It might be a long shot, but they might work.

MATT DAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MATT DAMOND For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (12-18-2013)
 Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #4

kwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by felt View Post
How did you manage this? Got pictures?
Bumpy roads.

Originally Posted by MATT DAMOND View Post
I wonder if you can fit MS6 bearings, they are all metal. It might be a long shot, but they might work.
Different platforms, not much is interchangeable between them.
This car has never been raced, modified, or abused in any way. Maintained as required, only wear items have been replaced with OEM or better parts, in compliance with all warranty terms, and federal and state laws.

Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-24-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,990 Times in 2,506 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That sucks.

I always recommend replacing them whenever the front strut/spring assemblies come apart.

After coming from 2 lowered Ford Focuses (that use a similar, seemingly failure-prone design for their uper strut mount bearings), I learned the hard way...
Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (12-18-2013)
 Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #6

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am going to order a pair even if the old ones seem fine. Best to do this just ONCE than have to take the entire assembly apart again. What a pain.
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #7

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Groans: 40
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Unhappy

I seem to have the same problem:

The flange seems to be moving around while the strut attached to it looks good and tight. I hear some noise only when I have someone on the passenger seat, when I'm driving alone I can barely hear it from time to time.
Can I continue to use my car or I risk blowing the strut as well? I already contacted the dealer for a replacement.
StratiVersaTuned
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
wassup61 (06-05-2010)
 Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can't tell anything from that video except it looks like someone is doing some serious humping in your car.

The sure fire test is to start the car, put your hand on the top of the strut shaft, and have someone turn the wheel from lock to lock.

If there's anything other than minor flex, it's worn. If it moves around and makes noises, it's blown. If so, there's a top plate that needs to be replaced at the same time, according to the dealer techs I talked to.

If you're stock and in warranty, you won't have any problems they'll hook you up.

In my case - Koni struts, crumpled fender, tires that show obvious track use - they said I was on my own and I'm not gonna fight it. It probably started months ago in my "off" and I just made it worse over time to the point of cracking it.

Anyway, you're safe to drive it, IMO, just take it easy over bumps until it's fixed.

Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 06-04-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: learned English
The Following User Says Thank You to kwsmithphoto For This Useful Post:
kgb (06-09-2010)
 Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

yes, when I turn the wheel it moves a bit and makes a funny noise, like a squeak/crack noise but on a lower tone.
The funny thing is that it started when I turned left to enter a gas station, that after driving on a very nice road. It doesn't or it barely squeaks when I'm alone in the car, but if I have a passenger I can hear it when passing over any small imperfections on the road sometimes.

...And I can't hear it in the morning when the car is still cold. So probably it's not that serious yet, which is good.
StratiVersaTuned
 Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've got a call out to a Volvo dealer to see if their strut bearing (Mazda calls it a bushing) is made from actual metal instead of that plasticy shit. No word yet so it's probably the same.

The sucky thing is that it's all the labor cost of doing a full strut change without any of the upgrade goodness.

I don't understand why they would use such an obviously weak part in such a highly stressed area. But according to the dealer techs, at one of the biggest Mazda dealers in the US, they replace 1-3 pairs every single day. Usually on older 3's, but seriously. Pure fail. I've been searching the aftermarket but can't find an uprated part.

BTW, the "bushing" itself (it's really a bearing assembly) only costs about $30/ea, so it's a very good idea to just put new ones in when doing a strut upgrade, like Design and others mentioned. But from I've been told, once the bearing goes bad, it tends to warp the next part above it, which is basically just a rubber coated steel stamping. That actually costs more than the bearing does...

Sorry for the whine (would you like some paired cheese too?), and thank you for your empathy.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

apparently I'll get mine warranty replaced, which is kind of surprising considering that I have aftermarket coils. But probably they know something and I'm now wondering if I should replace the one in the left as well.
StratiVersaTuned
 Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #12

-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What happens over bumps with a worn strut bearing? Does the car behave erratic like when you accelerate around a bend with bad tie rods?
Mod List: ATP 3071R @ 22 psi, Grimspeed in 3-port mode, Steedspeed Manifold, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit, Cobb AP, CP-E 3" Nano SRI, CP-E Big Inlet TIP, Cobb "Stage 2" Suspension Kit, CP-E FMIC, CP-E DP, CP-E HPFP, CP-E MM, TWM STS, Custom Tuned by Fobio.
-cj- is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

No, it just clunks and pops in parking situations, and this time it rattles a bit over low speed choppy roads. IOW, it just makes annoying noises but doesn't seem to affect the way the car drives. But it won't fix itself, and could lead to larger problems. But no, it's not as critical a bad tie rod.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,247 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

KW.

It seems odd that you have had this problem twice....

Are you sure they are installing it correctly?

The reason I ask is this, there are two alignment "tabs", one on the bearing and one on the top mount. Those tabs MUST be lined up with part of the strut (the narrow part that slides into the knuckle gap IIRC).
If that alignment is not done properly, the bearing will not seat correctly on the spring which would cause a side load on the bearing and damage it over time.

Just something to check, so you dont have to pay for the job a third time.

EDIT: Plus I would check on MOCC, there is a guy in SoCal does a bunch of installing for guys, for CHEAP, comes recommended by MOCC members. I want to say he is called "Gramps", and has a sig or something that says "Gramps Garage"...... might be worth looking into to save some $$

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well the first time it happened was after I had the FSD's installed, buy garage mechanic who owns an MS3 and has done strut changes for dozens of people. He knows about the tabs and everything, I watched him line them up.

So when the first one failed a few weeks later, I bought the parts and had him do the work again. That one lasted a year, but it still shouldn't have failed. I mean it's a shitty design but still, 1 year?

Anyway, I don't think he did anything wrong, but just to be sure I'm having the work done at a long established shop near me that specializes in Japanese cars.

If it fails again, the only thing left is a some kind of defect in the strut, so I'll take it up with Koni if it happens again any time soon. Maybe there's an alignment issue between the strut body and strut shaft that's putting too much stress on the top mount? I dunno, but the whole thing is annoying.

I'm tempted to wait until the MZ5 FSD's are back in stock, but I'm afraid that if the bearing crumbles it might bind up the steering and cause an accident. Besides, the noise makes me feel like I'm driving a 15 year-old beater car, so I just want it to go away!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #16

coasty1973 is a jewel in the roughcoasty1973 is a jewel in the roughcoasty1973 is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

this must be the same thing I am hearing,, Its a popping noise right? I just replaced my struts and shocks with KONIs and it didnt start doing it until after I replaced the struts. Where can I order said bushings??/I]
coasty1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It starts as a popping noise then turns into a rattle.

This part is essential: Finish Line / Rosenthal Mazda Parts & Accessories—::—Mazda3—::—Suspension—::—Strut Bushing

This part is recommended: Finish Line / Rosenthal Mazda Parts & Accessories—::—Mazda3—::—Suspension—::—Strut Upper Mount

Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #18

spdjnke is a name known to allspdjnke is a name known to allspdjnke is a name known to allspdjnke is a name known to allspdjnke is a name known to allspdjnke is a name known to all
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How does it happen tho, whats the cause.?

Cobb Catback, Cobb Shift Weight, CP-E Nano w/Green Filter, CP-E Rmm 65 Duro, CP-E Tow Plate, Dash Hawk V2, ETS 3.25 TMIC Silver Black PC, Hypertech Max Energy Sport Reflash, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, TWM Short Shifter, TWM Shifter Bushings, TurboSmart Dual Port BOV, Denso iridium ITV22 1 step colder plugs, Mazdaspeed 6 Rims w/ Hankook V12's, JDM Visor Rain Guards, 35% front/20% rear tint, 22pc Clear Bra kit, Home Made Chin Spoiler,Debaged, Side Molding Shaved, 4500k Purple Fogs
spdjnke is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #19

Cheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond reputeCheveyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by spdjnke View Post
How does it happen tho, whats the cause.?

Its a plastic encased bearing, I'm surprised we don't see more exploded from just normal wear and tear.

Nothing specific other then roads that are worse then others, or people that just cant seem to avoid pot holes

Makes me appreciate some others I've seen that I thought were cheaply made.
Cheveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What he said. Some of us drive quickly on bad roads that the bushing and top plate are not engineered for. Even when correctly installed during an upgrade, which is easy to screw up, will destroy the bushing super fast. Common mistake.

But my first failure was correctly installed yet failed in about a week. The replacement lasted about a year.

It is odd that there aren't more reports of this on the forum. But here in LA, the biggest and best Mazda dealer replaces 1-2 pairs per day on Mazda3's, according to the service manager. Probably because most of the streets here are pretty much 3rd world quality, these days.

Anyway, the sure fire test is to start the engine, put your fingers around the upper strut shaft bolt, and have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock. If it flexes a little without any noise, you should be OK for a while. If it moves around and pops or shifts a lot, the bearing needs to be replaced. There's a rubber coated top plate that it mounts to, and caps off the strut, but like I said before, the dealer techs say to replace both if the bushing is shot - apparently, the broken "bushing" deforms or damages the top plate, and that plate has to come off anyway, so there's no extra cost involved.

And as I said, the dealer denied my warranty claim, so I bought the parts online for about half the price, and had a local shop do the work. So far, so good.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #21

jeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

is there a better replacement part we can insert?
-Low Beam/ Fog HIDS - Lamin-X Yellow Tint on Fog Lights - TSW Mallory Wheels - Thule Bike Rack with 598 Criterium Bike Mount - GX-65 with Blendmount - Corksport RMM - Corksport Mudflaps - Corksport SRI - Corksport Rear Sway Bar - GX-65 radar laser detector - TRS Angel Eyes - Rear bumper LED Light - H&R Springs - Koni Yellow Struts - JBR Camber Arms - AP v2 -Autotech internals - AP Stage 1 Map -
[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
jeffdevo is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #22

pixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the worldpixelNate is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fucking brownies being brown. This thread is almost 3 years old!

The part you are looking for is the MOOG #K160228 that can be had on RockAuto.com for $33.79 each.

I do have to thank you though, this thread confirms my thought that my bushings are bad. The more recent threads aren't as helpful as this one.